Top 5% of all Woots

Quality Posts

wootstalkerbot

quality posts: 16 Private Messages wootstalkerbot

[Preview 1][Preview 2]

Magellan Mivue 420 1080p HD Dash Camera
Price: $59.99
Shipping Options:: $5 Standard
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 1-2 business days (Monday, Jan 15 to Tuesday, Jan 16) + transit
Condition: New

Buy It Search Amazon Search Google

Previous Similar Sales (May not be exact model)
12/30/2017 - $62.99 (Woot Plus)
12/30/2017 - $62.99 (Woot Plus)
12/8/2017 - $62.99 (Woot Plus)

SyrupMonkey

quality posts: 1 Private Messages SyrupMonkey

I have three of these exact dash cams. Two of which I bought off of Woot a while back towards the beginning of the summer. One for my daily work car, and one for the wife's car. I had a close call in my truck (which did not have a dash cam at the time) in which someone flew past me in the center median, then slammed/locked up their brakes in front of me, assuming to try to get me to hit them for an insurance check. I was able to swerve and miss them, but unfortunately the car behind me hit them instead. If that were me that hit them, it would have been hard proving their fault in a rear end collision just on my word vs. theirs (which is what they were going for). If I had a cam in there, it would have been a lot easier to prove their fault had I hit them. After that, I bought two more of these, one for my truck, so now I have one in all of my vehicles, and gave one to my kid sister as a gift for her car.
So far I haven't had an issue with any of them, in both the heat of a sealed up car in the hot summer, to sub zero temps now in the winter. I put a 128GB card in my work car I drive everyday, it accepted the card, and hasn't had any issues. From someone who has purchased and uses several of these, I would say they are good deal and you should be happy with them Haven't had any issued with them locking up or not recording. I know some people have said they have had SD card issues with some, but of the four I have purchased, they have all worked fine.

ClintJCL

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ClintJCL

Is there something with a 170-degree field of view like my last one? I find 170 to be limiting but acceptable. 140 makes me twitchy.

hazydaze

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hazydaze
ClintJCL wrote:Is there something with a 170-degree field of view like my last one? I find 170 to be limiting but acceptable. 140 makes me twitchy.

I'd say take a look at the Apeman cameras on Amazon. Price point is 69.00 and has a 170-degree field of vision.

Narfcake

quality posts: 397 Private Messages Narfcake

Volunteer Moderator

SyrupMonkey wrote:... I know some people have said they have had SD card issues with some, but of the four I have purchased, they have all worked fine.

The SD card itself could be at fault. Both Sandisk and Samsung DO NOT WARRANTY their SD cards when used in dash cam/security cameras; some other manufacturers may have the same stipulations and limitations also.

The Sandisk High Endurance cards are warrantied, and it's what I use in the 420 I have in my truck.

No.1 rule of online apparel purchases: SIZING CHARTS! Unsure about classic and fitted options at shirt.woot? Comments on the new pricing? Read more about that here.

Do you like (or dislike) what you see at shirt.woot? Choose what prints at shirt.woot! Vote in the derby!
- Note: I am not staff. If you need help with your purchases, contact Support.

PaulDWendt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages PaulDWendt

My main worry about having one of these affixed to the car dashboard is: Isn't this a magnet for someone to smash a window to steal it?

What extra security measures do people take to prevent smash and grab theft?

weidnerj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages weidnerj
SyrupMonkey wrote:I have three of these exact dash cams. Two of which I bought off of Woot a while back towards the beginning of the summer. One for my daily work car, and one for the wife's car. I had a close call in my truck (which did not have a dash cam at the time) in which someone flew past me in the center median, then slammed/locked up their brakes in front of me, assuming to try to get me to hit them for an insurance check. I was able to swerve and miss them, but unfortunately the car behind me hit them instead. If that were me that hit them, it would have been hard proving their fault in a rear end collision just on my word vs. theirs (which is what they were going for). If I had a cam in there, it would have been a lot easier to prove their fault had I hit them. After that, I bought two more of these, one for my truck, so now I have one in all of my vehicles, and gave one to my kid sister as a gift for her car.
So far I haven't had an issue with any of them, in both the heat of a sealed up car in the hot summer, to sub zero temps now in the winter. I put a 128GB card in my work car I drive everyday, it accepted the card, and hasn't had any issues. From someone who has purchased and uses several of these, I would say they are good deal and you should be happy with them Haven't had any issued with them locking up or not recording. I know some people have said they have had SD card issues with some, but of the four I have purchased, they have all worked fine.

I have one of these and had a guy do a California stop when I had the right of way. He got upset when I honked at him and he tried to do a "break check" trying to get me to run into him. I was able to stop in time. Ended up taking the video to the police and they had a nice talk with the guy. The guy was surprised that someone would actually have something like this. It won't give you a license plate unless you are about 30 or less feet away from the other car, but if something happened, you would be able to use the footage to identify the other vehicle.