Back to Amazon.com

WootBot


quality posts: 17 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

My Sous Vide My-101 Immersion Cooker, White

Last Purchase:
4 days ago
Order Pace (rank):
Top 7% of Sellout Woots
Top 10% of all Woots
Woots Sold (rank):
Top 6% of Sellout Woots
Top 8% of all Woots

wootstalkerbot


quality posts: 16 Private Messages wootstalkerbot

[Preview 1][Preview 2][Preview 3][Preview 4][Preview 5]

My Sous Vide My-101 Immersion Cooker, White
Price: $49.99
Shipping Options:: $5 Standard (Free with Prime) OR $10 Two-Day OR $20 One-Day
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 1-2 business days (Monday, Aug 13 to Tuesday, Aug 14) + transit
Condition: New

Buy It Search Amazon Search Google

Previous Similar Sales (May not be exact model)
5/25/2018 - $59.99
4/24/2018 - $59.99 - Click To See Discussion (2 comments)
3/30/2018 - $59.99


5/14/2018 - $59.99 (Woot Plus)
5/14/2018 - $59.99 (Woot Plus)

StarChaserTyger


quality posts: 0 Private Messages StarChaserTyger

For some reason the 'click to view comments' for the 4/24 one where I bought one doesn't show any actual comments. For anyone who wants to see that discussion, you can find it here:
https://home.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=7373044&ref=w_cnt_odet_jtd_flm

I bought one of these then, and have been very happy with it. Made the very best New York Strip steak I'd ever had. Mildly annoying with the touch-buttons, they're not actual buttons, they're just lights and I kept over-pressing them and changing undocumented features like changing it to celsius. The temperature was within 0.1 degree of my probe thermometer's display. To speed up the process, I boiled a quart and a half of water and dumped it into the pot, then added about the same amount of cold water, which brought it to around the right temp. Less time wasted waiting for the water to come up to temperature. Don't know how it handles being boiled, though, so I wouldn't put it directly into boiling water.

ChangeUserName


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ChangeUserName
StarChaserTyger wrote:For some reason the 'click to view comments' for the 4/24 one where I bought one doesn't show any actual comments. For anyone who wants to see that discussion, you can find it here:
https://home.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=7373044&ref=w_cnt_odet_jtd_flm

I bought one of these then, and have been very happy with it. Made the very best New York Strip steak I'd ever had. Mildly annoying with the touch-buttons, they're not actual buttons, they're just lights and I kept over-pressing them and changing undocumented features like changing it to celsius. The temperature was within 0.1 degree of my probe thermometer's display. To speed up the process, I boiled a quart and a half of water and dumped it into the pot, then added about the same amount of cold water, which brought it to around the right temp. Less time wasted waiting for the water to come up to temperature. Don't know how it handles being boiled, though, so I wouldn't put it directly into boiling water.



ChangeUserName


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ChangeUserName
ChangeUserName wrote:



No need to boil water to speed up heating time. Just use hot water from the tap and it will most likely be close enough to your cooking temperature that it will only take a few minutes to be ready.

ChangeUserName


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ChangeUserName

Despite the clever write-up for the Sous vide heater, boiling your food is never done with Sous vide. The water is heated - not boiled.

dsmmrm


quality posts: 8 Private Messages dsmmrm

Only 800 watts? Pass.

Jaz83


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jaz83
dsmmrm wrote:Only 800 watts? Pass.



Mine is 1,200 and works well. This 800 watt rating is probably why an above user has to preboil which is sad.

d4daniel


quality posts: 0 Private Messages d4daniel

I love electronic and kitchen gadgets, but I passed on this deal.

My friend used a similar Sous Vide and praised it cooked juicy steaks. I found it simply boils water up to 100 degree C to cook food slowly.

The clever idea is boil food in Ziploc bags to seal juice inside and keep water outside. Any slow cook pot can do this, so we do not need to buy this.

Please remember 3 Rs - reduce and reuse are better than recycle. Let's reuse our old slow cooker to save money, save space, and save our environment. Peace!

Winona


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Winona
Jaz83 wrote:Mine is 1,200 and works well. This 800 watt rating is probably why an above user has to preboil which is sad.



Ah the wattage shaming. 800 is enough for anyone cooking a few steaks. Not a restaurant of course.

As one poster said, run hot tap water and your fine. My tap water is at around 125 (I know a bit hot) so it is a perfect temp to start with.

So for those of us that need only a 50 dollar unit, this is fine. You fine chefs should just pass on this and move on.

rickparkerz


quality posts: 1 Private Messages rickparkerz
d4daniel wrote:I love electronic and kitchen gadgets, but I passed on this deal.

My friend used a similar Sous Vide and praised it cooked juicy steaks. I found it simply boils water up to 100 degree C to cook food slowly.

The clever idea is boil food in Ziploc bags to seal juice inside and keep water outside. Any slow cook pot can do this, so we do not need to buy this.



You're missing the point, it doesn't boil it at 100C. You set it to a precise temperature that will cook it exactly like you want. For instance a steak at around 125 degrees F for anwhere from 45 minutes to 2 hours will give you a perfectly tender rare steak that is cooked all of the way through the same amount. Then slap it on the grill for a bit to sear the outside and you've got a perfectly cooked steak. If you leave it in the slow cooker for a while, do you even know what you're going to end up with?