Top 7% of Sellout Woots
Top 9% of all Woots

wootstalkerbot

quality posts: 16 Private Messages wootstalkerbot

[Preview 1]

Dell Optiplex 790 Intel i5 Quad-Core SFF Desktops
Price: $229.99 - 279.99
Shipping Options:: $5 Standard
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 1-2 business days (Thursday, Sep 14 to Friday, Sep 15) + transit
Condition: Refurbished

Buy It Search Amazon Search Google

woncoolone

quality posts: 4161 Private Messages woncoolone

Wyatt8

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Wyatt8

Arrrr...
the Joys of Woot!
you Got me!!!
just last Friday, I ordered the
Dell Optiplex 790 Small Form
Intel Core i3-2100 3.1GHz Dual-Core

and today you offer the
790 with the i5 Quad Core and a SS drive for the same dough..

Do Overs????????

a perfect day to have a great day on purpose...
or because the store clerk told you to...

ibbleschitz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ibbleschitz

funny, I Looked at the specs and though hmmm that's the CPU I'm currently running. and yes, DUDE, it's a dell. so is my machine. Still a solid PC that's good for light gaming these days. FWIW, mine is a VOSOTRO not the Optiplex. OH and I got mine new about 4 years ago.

spdmsw

quality posts: 5 Private Messages spdmsw

This is a great deal and a great processor.

terry1094

quality posts: 1 Private Messages terry1094

What?! No WiFi? Who has a wired network these days?

lethargicmass

quality posts: 12 Private Messages lethargicmass
terry1094 wrote:What?! No WiFi? Who has a wired network these days?

I'm wondering whether the reason that this is going this cheaply is because us wired-in people are getting to be few and far between...

I love bacon!

kbruton

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kbruton

Do you really need WiFi in a desktop?

davevpi

quality posts: 4 Private Messages davevpi
kbruton wrote:Do you really need WiFi in a desktop?

Potentially - if your computer isn't in the same room as your router. Or if this computer is going in your kid's bedroom.

(Of course, you can always get a wireless bridge. I have a desktop that's upstairs and there is a wireless bridge that connects it and a network hard drive, as well as being a wi-fi repeater for the back bedrooms.)

mollytim

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mollytim

Positives:
Has gigabit NIC
Nice processor, memory
Price
Optiplex made of steel

Negatives:
No HDMI
No DVD WRITER
No WiFi [can buy a cheap USB dongle]
No USB 3.0

PS If you have gigabit connection, wired is the only way to go.

honestmonkey

quality posts: 3 Private Messages honestmonkey

If you have one of these, can you tell me how loud it is? Seems like a decent machine for the price, but I don't want a jet airplane under the desk. Thanks.

SpartanJahn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SpartanJahn

Not bad for the price but the warranty through Metro Business Systems seems iffy from the reviews on that company. They insist you'll get support through Dell directly but can anyone confirm this?

alderson21

quality posts: 6 Private Messages alderson21
honestmonkey wrote:If you have one of these, can you tell me how loud it is? Seems like a decent machine for the price, but I don't want a jet airplane under the desk. Thanks.

I had a standard form factor Dell 790 on my desk at work for nearly 5 years. Never heard a sound out of it. The SFF is essentially the same guts with a smaller case. Dell makes reliably quiet and robust desktops.

Jon651

quality posts: 42 Private Messages Jon651

This is a very good machine - I'm using mine right now. Drop an inexpensive solid state drive into it and it will be quite fast.

No DVD writer? No problem! It uses the same slimline optical drives as any laptop or slim external CD/DVD and you can get a DVD-RW cheaply ($12). It doesn't have much space for expansion and all the PCI card slots are half-height so you have to pay attention when buying something to install (think USB 3.0 card or video card).

I use a Netgear wi-fi dongle and it routinely gets 90mbps speed on my 100mbps service at home. Plus you can get refurb or system pull RAM for these very inexpensively since it is older.

These units are generally business or education lease returns. Mine still had the property label from the University of Tennessee on it.

The Optiplex small form factor box is very modular, opens easily and everything is quickly removable or easily accessible which is what is required for IT departments that have to manage dozens or even hundreds of these and requires quick turn-around.

I'm very happy with mine and if I had to do it again I wouldn't change my mind.

idontkn1

quality posts: 10 Private Messages idontkn1
mollytim wrote:Positives:
Has gigabit NIC
Nice processor, memory
Price
Optiplex made of steel

Negatives:
No HDMI
No DVD WRITER
No WiFi [can buy a cheap USB dongle]
No USB 3.0

PS If you have gigabit connection, wired is the only way to go.

Not that you were trashing the computer but I wanted to add that all of those concerns can be alleviated for about 30 bucks and 10 minutes of time. In case someone was scared off.

mswake

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mswake

Should I be worried about no HDMI? I currently use two monitors, and one is hooked to the HDMI port, I believe.

Jon651

quality posts: 42 Private Messages Jon651
mswake wrote:Should I be worried about no HDMI? I currently use two monitors, and one is hooked to the HDMI port, I believe.

It has VGA and Displayport connections on the back panel. If your monitor does not have Displayport the you can get an Displayport-to-HDMI adapter cable.

chrismartin08

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chrismartin08

I'm wondering since the PC doesn't have any WIFI could I use my TP link Express PCI wifi card in it? Not sure because this post says nothing about expansion slots.

jbserra

quality posts: 5 Private Messages jbserra

Doesn't the drive in the picture say DVD rewriteable on it? Doesn't that mean it can burn DVDs?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 1036 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

chrismartin08 wrote:I'm wondering since the PC doesn't have any WIFI could I use my TP link Express PCI wifi card in it? Not sure because this post says nothing about expansion slots.

From the specs:

Expansion Slots & Bays:
(1) Half-Height PCIe x16 Slot
(1) Half-Height PCIe x16 (wired x 4) Slot
(1) Slimline 5.25" External Drive Bay
(1) 3.5" Internal Drive Bay

** You must log in with Amazon EVERY time **
To contact CS, use the Customer Service form in the menu at the top right corner of every page
••• ► Woot's UPDATED Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 2 hours!! - except orders with expedited items

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 1036 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

jbserra wrote:Doesn't the drive in the picture say DVD rewriteable on it? Doesn't that mean it can burn DVDs?

Always go by the specs as we often have to use stock photos.

Per the specs:
Optical Drive: Slimline DVD-ROM

** You must log in with Amazon EVERY time **
To contact CS, use the Customer Service form in the menu at the top right corner of every page
••• ► Woot's UPDATED Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 2 hours!! - except orders with expedited items

jdwdigital

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jdwdigital
Jon651 wrote:This is a very good machine - I'm using mine right now. Drop an inexpensive solid state drive into it and it will be quite fast.

Actually, adding an SSD to this unit is already part of the Woot offer -- for an additional $50.