11 days ago
Order Pace (rank):
Top 4% of Sellout Woots
Top 9% of all Woots
Woots Sold (rank):
Top 2% of Sellout Woots
Top 3% of all Woots

Quality Posts

• (12:46 AM, 4/18/2017) woncoolone looks over the reviews.

woncoolone

quality posts: 4092 Private Messages woncoolone

miniskunk

quality posts: 11 Private Messages miniskunk

Does this come with the special offers or is it free from the ads?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 994 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

miniskunk wrote:Does this come with the special offers or is it free from the ads?

*cough*
It's in the title
*cough*

(Includes Special Offers)

*** Play TT's Clue - Thursdays at 9PM CT ***
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 2 hours!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

miniskunk

Fast reply Thunderthighs as always thanks! Do you ever sleep? I was too busy looking through the description that I missed that in the title. I own one of the smaller low-def Kindle Fire cousins with special offers. Not a deal breaker, especially at this price, to have the ads since there are ways to avoid them. Gonna be a lot of pissed resellers on Amazon asking several times more for their used Kindle Fire HDs. ;)

bishsd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bishsd

Does this have to be set up with AT&T or can it be unlocked to use with another cellular provider?

miniskunk

bishsd wrote:Does this have to be set up with AT&T or can it be unlocked to use with another cellular provider?

AT&T, Verizon, and T-mobile

Compatibility info from Amazon:

AT&T and T-Mobile devices support 10 bands, including HSPA+, HSDPA, and EDGE/GPRS and will fall back to 3G, EDGE, or GPRS when not in range of 4G LTE network.
Verizon devices can only connect to 4G LTE networks, and will not fall back to slower networks in the U.S.

epinardianguardian

quality posts: 5 Private Messages epinardianguardian
ThunderThighs wrote:*cough*
It's in the title
*cough*

Getting Sick?

bigdroo

quality posts: 5 Private Messages bigdroo

I'm more interested in if it can be set up with FreedomPop. I'm thinking this would make for a sweet Waze GPS.

dingusboy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dingusboy

How is it for straight book reading? Need to figure a way to justify purchase.

Schmaatte

1075hoehn

quality posts: 4 Private Messages 1075hoehn
ThunderThighs wrote:*cough*
It's in the title
*cough*

Ok, I'll play along. As of 08:00 CST time the title I see is "Amazon Kindle Fire HD 8.9" 4G LTE Tablet". How is this obviously one with special offers by reading that title?

Magnoire

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Magnoire
dingusboy wrote:How is it for straight book reading? Need to figure a way to justify purchase.

I have 3 Kindle Fires (1st gen, refurb 8.9 and small cheap one) and I have no problems reading from all 3. I'm a Librarian. Get a library card (if you don't already have one). Most libraries have free eLibraries and usually there is a Librarian can help you troubleshoot any problems. Yeah, I do that too.

rrussell

quality posts: 13 Private Messages rrussell
1075hoehn wrote:Ok, I'll play along. As of 08:00 CST time the title I see is "Amazon Kindle Fire HD 8.9" 4G LTE Tablet". How is this obviously one with special offers by reading that title?

So you do not see:

Amazon Kindle Fire HD 8.9" 32GB 4G LTE Wireless Tablet (Includes Special Offers), 8.9" Full-HD Touchscreen IPS Display, AT&T 4G LTE Connectivity, Dual-Core 1.5GHz Processor, 802.11n, FireOS, 2nd Generation

?

brettski69

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brettski69

Does it support screen mirroring?

itoaseik

quality posts: 2 Private Messages itoaseik
1075hoehn wrote:Ok, I'll play along. As of 08:00 CST time the title I see is "Amazon Kindle Fire HD 8.9" 4G LTE Tablet". How is this obviously one with special offers by reading that title?

You should try clicking on the item.

You're still not on the item page.

zwayne

quality posts: 1 Private Messages zwayne

I just don't like the Amazon-centric nature of the Kindle and the apps they give you; much prefer a plain vanilla Android device. Note that it NOT easy to root newer Kindles, although you CAN easily get them to use Google Play Store.

The only thing I like about Kindles is their wifi methodology to get ebooks onto the device. Much easier than a Nook, regardless of whether you are buying a book or borrowing from a library. But if you want a dedicated e-reader and don't need color images (e.g., for comics or magazines) get one of the dedicated E Ink versions as they are thinner, lighter and much easier to handle than a heavy Fire. I'm pleased with a 2nd gen keyboard Kindle that I got off Woot for 15 bucks.

Oh, yeah, the "special offers" thing is really not obtrusive.

sanchezaps

quality posts: 2 Private Messages sanchezaps

Correct if I am wrong Thunder Thighs but This is the Gen 2 and only works on AT&T.

MommaBeary

quality posts: 13 Private Messages MommaBeary
dingusboy wrote:How is it for straight book reading? Need to figure a way to justify purchase.

It works just fine for book reading - although, I must say that since I purchased my Paperwhite Kindle, I use that one for reading more. I LOVE this one for watching amazon prime movies from anywhere in the house. This version still has the Dolby speakers.

Don't ask how many kindles live in my house - I don't think you want to know.

RogerB

quality posts: 5 Private Messages RogerB
Magnoire wrote:I have 3 Kindle Fires (1st gen, refurb 8.9 and small cheap one) and I have no problems reading from all 3. I'm a Librarian. Get a library card (if you don't already have one). Most libraries have free eLibraries and usually there is a Librarian can help you troubleshoot any problems. Yeah, I do that too.

I just ordered this 8.9" HD for watching Netflix and Amazon Prime movies in the kitchen while I cook. I have a Kindle 4 which is what I use for reading. It is quite old, but I like it. It has the back and forward page buttons on each side.

boozwaa

quality posts: 0 Private Messages boozwaa

Bought one of these for my younger son...Very sluggish, was good enough for him, but I hated it. Then it got dropped from only two feet and the screen cracked...while within a protective case. Seemed very poorly made.

bustermac

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bustermac
boozwaa wrote:Bought one of these for my younger son...Very sluggish, was good enough for him, but I hated it. Then it got dropped from only two feet and the screen cracked...while within a protective case. Seemed very poorly made.

I have the exact opposite experience with my son's Kindle, speed-wise. We've never dropped it so can't speak to that but you shouldn't be dropping ANY tablets with an expectation of surviving it.

TaylorSwiftsHaircut

quality posts: 31 Private Messages TaylorSwiftsHaircut

Staff

bigdroo wrote:I'm more interested in if it can be set up with FreedomPop. I'm thinking this would make for a sweet Waze GPS.

I think it's locked to AT&T. Sorry.

TaylorSwiftsHaircut

quality posts: 31 Private Messages TaylorSwiftsHaircut

Staff

sanchezaps wrote:Correct if I am wrong Thunder Thighs but This is the Gen 2 and only works on AT&T.

Yep, says so in the title

boozwaa

quality posts: 0 Private Messages boozwaa
bustermac wrote:I have the exact opposite experience with my son's Kindle, speed-wise. We've never dropped it so can't speak to that but you shouldn't be dropping ANY tablets with an expectation of surviving it.

Well, I don't go around purposely dropping tablets... but I have dropped iPads, iPhones, android tablets from far higher heights and even once had some crazy guy grab my iPad and threw it and never even a scratch... and in the same type of protective cases.

danieln1971

quality posts: 0 Private Messages danieln1971

I bought one of these a couple of months ago, and it does what I want it to do: Netflix, Amazon Prime video, some surfing and checking mail. The screen quality is great, the sound quality is great, and mine was like new. Not one single scratch or whatever. For 45 dollars, this is a no brainer. (The original price of this device with 32gb and LTE was USD 499).

mollytim

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mollytim

This has an early [2012] version of Fire OS which does not upgrade.

Therefore, accessing Playstore is somewhat cumbersome although not impossible.
...Much easier with newer Fire tablets

kenfhill84083

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kenfhill84083

I live in rural Utah with no cell phone coverage available from any provider. We get wi-fi thru our land line provider.

Will this kindle work in my situation?

Thanks.

pleepleus

quality posts: 1 Private Messages pleepleus
zwayne wrote:I just don't like the Amazon-centric nature of the Kindle and the apps they give you; much prefer a plain vanilla Android device. Note that it NOT easy to root newer Kindles, although you CAN easily get them to use Google Play Store.

The only thing I like about Kindles is their wifi methodology to get ebooks onto the device. Much easier than a Nook, regardless of whether you are buying a book or borrowing from a library. But if you want a dedicated e-reader and don't need color images (e.g., for comics or magazines) get one of the dedicated E Ink versions as they are thinner, lighter and much easier to handle than a heavy Fire. I'm pleased with a 2nd gen keyboard Kindle that I got off Woot for 15 bucks.

Oh, yeah, the "special offers" thing is really not obtrusive.

Agreed. It's not necessary to root the device to add Google Play Store, in fact, it's downright simple. But the fact remains that it's a mediocre tablet at best. If you don't want an Amazon-centric device, this is not for you. I love Amazon and still felt the need to add Google Play Store. I'm much happier, but if I weren't a heavy Amazon user, I would not be.

mollytim

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mollytim

"It's not necessary to root the device to add Google Play Store, in fact, it's downright simple."

What is your definition of "simple"?
I think you are referring to later versions of Fire OS, when you say simple.

True-- Not necessary to root, but it is a cumbersome process IMO.

jjpeters1100

quality posts: 12 Private Messages jjpeters1100
mollytim wrote:"It's not necessary to root the device to add Google Play Store, in fact, it's downright simple."

What is your definition of "simple"?
I think you are referring to later versions of Fire OS, when you say simple.

True-- Not necessary to root, but it is a cumbersome process IMO.

I agree. Not at all a easy process. IMO.

populuxe

quality posts: 4 Private Messages populuxe

So, I can't just Down Load "google play" and get some games and aps? I would use this as a internet tablet only and not connected to it's own phone service--just like my existing Woot Samsung Galaxy tab 3. I'm looking to go newer and these Kindles seem so much better for what I use it as. Also, Woot flash deals has a slightly different model, but is a 2.2 ghz processor and 16 gb storage for about $15 bucks more. Which is better/newer? Thanks.

cld1022

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cld1022

Just bought 3 of these, seems like a good deal....time will tell I suppose...

hoosiergw

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hoosiergw

Just got it 2/20, 3 days after ordering. Wow.
This is the same as I've been using for a few years.
This one was new in the Box. Looks like it had part of a Best Buy Label under the new Amazon label.

Battery power is better than the one I was using.
Don't need it for the 4G LTE (can't get ATT here), just use it on our Wifi.

My Wife wanted one, she's getting my old one.

miniskunk

Wow! Fast delivery for a Wootoff! Got mine on the following Friday. The tablet was flawless. You couldn't tell it was respiffed at all. Thanks!