Quality Posts

andypop

quality posts: 14 Private Messages andypop

Is this a 5 year old laptop??

woncoolone

quality posts: 4144 Private Messages woncoolone

orchidluvr

quality posts: 12 Private Messages orchidluvr

Isn't this the model with the great keyboard? I hate the chicklet keyboards!!!!

schreki

quality posts: 1 Private Messages schreki

I've purchased a couple of the 420s models recently. I'm pretty sure they are a few years old, but I would say for the price they work pretty good. I got mine from a seller on Amazon for $250. They're good machines if you're looking for something to run productivity apps and web/email.

c1787gj

quality posts: 4 Private Messages c1787gj

Are these the original batteries? Or are they a new battery included.

nws2002

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nws2002

I have a 420s as my corporate laptop. It is just the slimmer version of this. Battery life isn't great, but IT replaced the DVD drives with an Ultrabay battery and with that it will last almost 4 hours now. I don't think that's an option on the regular 420 though.

FWIW, it is older but doesn't seem to have any issues running Windows 10 with Outlook, Excel, and several Chrome tabs open at once. The version I use also has 8GB RAM, but has a 128GB SSD.

TalismanUK

quality posts: 10 Private Messages TalismanUK
andypop wrote:Is this a 5 year old laptop??

Actually, I think the original T420 is older than that - Google shows it coming out in February 2011.

However, I doubt this incarnation is that old and if my initial browsing is correct (Disclaimer: It might not be - it's early and I haven't had nearly enough coffee yet to function optimally!) it most likely dates to 2014(ish).

mariemorris

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mariemorris

My substantially identical 420i will be 5 years old in a couple of weeks. It is a workhorse, with a rock-solid case, excellent keyboard, and more-than-adequate screen. BUT the Lenovo hard drive failed twice within the first 2 years, the first time under warranty, the second time not. The Toshiba HD that replaced the second one is running like a top, fingers crossed.

SILVERLS

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SILVERLS

I don't see it in the specs, but does this have an HDMI port?
TNX !

TalismanUK

quality posts: 10 Private Messages TalismanUK
SILVERLS wrote:I don't see it in the specs, but does this have an HDMI port?
TNX !

Probably not. Lenovo: Support for a external monitor is through VGA DB-15 connector.

Lenovo Detailed Specs

But I believe this might solve the problem: VGA DB15 to HDMI Converter

bmr13

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bmr13
c1787gj wrote:Are these the original batteries? Or are they a new battery included.

I got a refurbished T420 last year on woot, and the battery was basically DOA. Good computer, however.

SILVERLS

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SILVERLS
TalismanUK wrote:Probably not. Lenovo: Support for a external monitor is through VGA DB-15 connector.

Lenovo Detailed Specs

Thanks for the information and lesson. I am now smarter than a while ago. Have a good day, sir.

Hoser768

quality posts: 14 Private Messages Hoser768
TalismanUK wrote:Probably not. Lenovo: Support for a external monitor is through VGA DB-15 connector.

Lenovo Detailed Specs

It has a DisplayPort as well. I'd probably use an Dport to HDMI adapter before the VGA.

Listen to me now, or hear me say "I told you so" later.

Ezpcconcepts

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Ezpcconcepts

Lenovo Detailed Specs

My T420 and T520 have a VGA and right next to it a DVI-P port. We use these at the client I support to drive dual monitors. They are a work horse and if you upgrade to an SSD drive you will be pleased with the response. And yes these have the loved original keyboard.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 1006 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

c1787gj wrote:Are these the original batteries? Or are they a new battery included.

Batteries are tested and replaced if needed.

To contact CS, use the Customer Service form in the menu at the top right corner of every page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 2 hours!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

fmeans

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fmeans

What was so "loved" about the original KB?

Ezpcconcepts wrote:My T420 and T520 have a VGA and right next to it a DVI-P port. We use these at the client I support to drive dual monitors. They are a work horse and if you upgrade to an SSD drive you will be pleased with the response. And yes these have the loved original keyboard.

molesr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages molesr
fmeans wrote:What was so "loved" about the original KB?

It's got a nubbin!

Xzsadik

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Xzsadik
bmr13 wrote:I got a refurbished T420 last year on woot, and the battery was basically DOA. Good computer, however.

I got mine and upon arrival it only last about an hour on battery life. Will have to replace that.