WootBot

quality posts: 16 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: True or False: Cookbooks make excellent gifts for college freshmen.
  • 28.8% - True 173
  • 62.7% - False 377
  • 8.5% - Something else? 51
601 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

PocketBrain

quality posts: 61 Private Messages PocketBrain

Don't spend a lot on a cookbook; maybe a "cooking on a budget" book would be most appropriate. Or, depending upon the Freshman, just a pallet of Ramen.

Thanks to up-to-the-minute tracking, I don't track my package so much as stalk it.

glynis37

quality posts: 13 Private Messages glynis37

Every recipe most people could ever want is free online. Why buy a cookbook that will never be opened?

riconsd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages riconsd
glynis37 wrote:Every recipe most people could ever want is free online. Why buy a cookbook that will never be opened?

but not how to stock the pantry, how to shop week to week or how to cook something on the w/e and then use the leftovers quickly during the week.

The Starving Student Cookbook by Reynolds/Hall, first published in 83, is the best. It's aimed at someone that knows how to boil water but not much else. The only down side is it's North East centric.

ironicflutterby

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ironicflutterby

Utterly useless if you're in a dorm. Where the hell are you going to cook?

moles1138

quality posts: 46 Private Messages moles1138

Useless unless they have access to a kitchen. But maybe they collect them. Not enough young people are learning to cook.

Calgaltoal

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Calgaltoal

I have a collection of cookbooks I need to get rid of soon because I get all my recipes online. Besides college freshmen do not cook. Well except for me, I lived at home when I went to college. I did all the cooking during the week. I was my mother's maid for four years. She sure missed me when I left.

ardubu

quality posts: 9 Private Messages ardubu

A snack cookbook would be better.
Besides, few people cook anymore.

Ah, the hell with it.

6oak

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 6oak

the best present for a college freshman is an all-in-one tool kit. Lasts all 4 years, helps them make new friends ("Does anyone have a screwdriver"), and with a place for each part of the kit, less chance of losing bits and pieces.