WootBot

quality posts: 16 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Do you wear a helmet when you ride a bike?
  • 32.1% - Yes 167
  • 38.1% - No 198
  • 29.8% - I never ride a bike 155
520 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

Halieus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Halieus

Personally, I'd rather just go rollerblade (no helmet either).

Think I may've sat on 1 bike in the last 3 or 4 years... and it was a stationary bike... at a party... and all the other seats were taken.

bblhed

quality posts: 11 Private Messages bblhed

I have a small child so when I ride I wear a helmet, when she sees me ride she doesn't think it is strange at all to wear a helmet and she just puts hers on when she rides.

Before you judge, I will mention that I learned to ride a motorcycle without a helmet but those were different times and I lot of my friends got concussions in bicycle and skateboard accidents.

daveinwarshington

quality posts: 86 Private Messages daveinwarshington

Nope.

pkrzycki

quality posts: 10 Private Messages pkrzycki

My wife made me buy the most obnoxious yellow-green fluorescent helmet after I got hit by a car in Omaha... whilst using the crosswalk, when I had the white walk signal.

I was coming north and the car was turning south out of a neighborhood. She only looked to her left to make sure that no cars were coming and almost ran me over.

I don't trust drivers ever anymore, as they barely pay attention to the other vehicles on the road, let alone cyclists.

This is also why I'll never ride my bike on an actual roadway unless I absolutely have to cross that road.

Boxymoron

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Boxymoron

I've started wearing a helmet if I ride my bike to work, because there's no good way to cross the major highway that passes through, and there's a lot of new oil trucks and pickups in town. I even have a fluorescent yellow vest I wear, as well. I end up crossing at a stop light in the traffic lane, because there's no crosswalk anywhere across, not even an overpass.

netprophet1976

quality posts: 1 Private Messages netprophet1976

Advice more for a motorcycle than a bike, but it applies to both: Ride like everyone is trying to kill you.