WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Monitors

Not the hall kind that will ask you where your bathroom pass is and then get you in trouble. I'M STILL MAD, DERRICK!

81prelude

quality posts: 9 Private Messages 81prelude

I need a new monitor. I'm a heavy applications/developer user. No games. Which one should I buy? Any thoughts? 27inch would be nice but are these good quality?

thanks for any suggestions.

Woot Tang Clan

quality posts: 27 Private Messages Woot Tang Clan
81prelude wrote:I need a new monitor. I'm a heavy applications/developer user. No games. Which one should I buy? Any thoughts? 27inch would be nice but are these good quality?

When doing programming, I remembered back in the days having lots of real estate on the monitor was helpful. When we were using Linux, they had the 4 desktop that we can flip through. But nothing beats having more pixels so you don't need to flip through screens. I have 2 of those 27" WQHD HP monitors. I was waiting for over a year on the fence, then I took the plunge months ago. As soon as I received it, I purchased another one right away. When it comes to monitors, I am not a big fanatic, I just do expect them to work and not fail because it is something that is used everyday day for over 10 hours. My next monitor will be a 4K. So if you are shopping around, it's better to do your research on how you are going to setup your desk first, and not just buy what is available.

voodooaddict

quality posts: 0 Private Messages voodooaddict
81prelude wrote:I need a new monitor. I'm a heavy applications/developer user. No games. Which one should I buy? Any thoughts? 27inch would be nice but are these good quality?

The HP 27" WQHD (2650x1440) or AOC 29" WFHD (2560x1080)

They will give you more desktop work-space for development.

Alternatively, if you want to go with multiple displays I suggest buying multiple 22" or 23" IPS 1080p displays with VESA mount compatibility. Then pickup any of a number of inexpensive VESA monitor mounts. (Example - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FQU7CPU/)

Going with IPS displays will allow you to turn the screens 90 degees on the monitor mounts.

ChaSiewBao

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ChaSiewBao

Can someone clarify the connections on the AOC i2353Ph Aire Pro 23” please. The specs list 2 hdmi and 1 d-sub(vga), but the fourth picture clearly shows 1 hdmi, 1 DVI, and 1 d-sub(vga).

Love to have a monitor that has the versatility of all 3 connections

Edit: Nevermind all sold out

corvettejoe

quality posts: 22 Private Messages corvettejoe

My HP 27" QHD monitor is still doing well. Still no regrets. The ridiculous resolution of it paired with an IPS panel is just a joy to work on (heavy lightroom work, also lots of gaming and movie watching on this monitor). No complaints. It's even cheaper this time around than when I bought mine.

spwath

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spwath
voodooaddict wrote:The HP 27" WQHD (2650x1440) or AOC 29" WFHD (2560x1080)

They will give you more desktop work-space for development.

Alternatively, if you want to go with multiple displays I suggest buying multiple 22" or 23" IPS 1080p displays with VESA mount compatibility. Then pickup any of a number of inexpensive VESA monitor mounts. (Example - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FQU7CPU/)

Going with IPS displays will allow you to turn the screens 90 degees on the monitor mounts.

What??? Thats not true... did you mean VESA? IPS just has better color quality, nothing about spining on mount...

smigit2002

quality posts: 12 Private Messages smigit2002
spwath wrote:What??? Thats not true... did you mean VESA? IPS just has better color quality, nothing about spining on mount...

I believe the point was that IPS has better viewing angles in ALL directions, while other technologies are designed with left/right in mind, but up/down can cause drastic changes in color, contrast, etc. I actually have an old, non-IPS display mounted vertically, and this is quite obvious. However, I use it mostly for text when writing papers, so it is not that much of an issue.

Cyradia

quality posts: 29 Private Messages Cyradia

If you're shopping 27" monitors, pay attention to max resolution. First of all, if you want it to look as sharp as your 24", but just bigger...it needs to be 2560x1440. Second, to use that you have to have a video card that will support it.

I bought a pair of the 27" HPs and LOVE them (my only regret is I paid $350 for mine, and they've obviously dropped in price). I did have to replace my video card on my desktop to use the sharper resolution.

Lord John Whorfin

quality posts: 27 Private Messages Lord John Whorfin

I purchased a Shimian Achieva 27" 2560x1440 directly from Korea a couple of years ago for $280 including shipping on ebay. They still sell them at the same price. It's been a flawless monitor, but I'd definitely go for this HP instead. Besides buying locally and having some recourse if there's any kind of issue, it also looks really nice (my Shimian looks pretty ugly) and the two inputs and the USB hub which is really convenient. Well worth the couple extra bucks.

anachostic

quality posts: 4 Private Messages anachostic

Damn you, Woot.

In for two 22" AOC E2260SWDN, plus a dual stand from the mothership. It's something I've been wanting to do for some time. One would hope that it will raise my coding efficiency at my home to that of my work, but the latter has been fairly pathetic lately, as evidenced by the research and purchase of said items.

adr5

quality posts: 4 Private Messages adr5

I would skip all of these. The resolution is too low. I learned a long time ago not to buy by size alone. You need to look at the resolution. The difference between a 17" monitor running the same resolution as a 27" monitor is the size of the font. So you are not necessarily getting more real estate. You are probably better off getting multiple smaller monitors.

geekwench

quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekwench

RE: AOC I2757FH 27" 1080p IPS LED Monitor, 2 HDMI, 20M:1, 5ms, 16.7M Colors, Stereo Speakers, HDCP

I've now gotten four of these from Woot (two last fall and two more recently). They're fantastic, and I've been unable to distinguish them from brand new- the factory reconditioning is really good. If I had an excuse to buy more of them, I probably would.

Note, however, that they only have HDMI and VGA connections- if your system(s) have DVI connections, you'll need to get conversion cables.