quality posts: 3023 Private Messages lichme

Plenty of reviews at Junglee

wootstalkerbot

quality posts: 13 Private Messages wootstalkerbot

[Preview 1][Preview 2][Preview 3][Preview 4][Preview 5]

Big Boss Reversible Grill
Price: $49.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 3-5 business days (Friday, Apr 18 to Wednesday, Apr 23) + transit
Condition: New

Buy It Search Amazon Search Google

***Facebook/Twitter notifications enabled***

Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat |Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

luke975

quality posts: 14 Private Messages luke975

reviews on amazon are mediocre

to the woot staff member that screwed up the back2skool code so I could get a lot of nice things for free - thank you.

drberna

quality posts: 1 Private Messages drberna

Reviews on Amazon regarding it taking a long time to heat up and cook are not very encouraging.

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3664 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Time to check out the product page

[EDIT: fixed wrong link]

sdc100

quality posts: 506 Private Messages sdc100

For those who are wondering, this is a 1500 Watt appliance. That means faster heating times but it also means that it needs its own line in many ho,es. And older homes may not want to risk such high wattages at all. Most dorms will not allow 1500 watt devices so check your regulations before buying.

sdc100

drberna wrote:Reviews on Amazon regarding it taking a long time to heat up and cook are not very encouraging.

That's surprising since it uses 1500 watts.

sdc100

drberna wrote:Reviews on Amazon regarding it taking a long time to heat up and cook are not very encouraging.

I wonder if the problem might be low voltages. If there is another mid- to high-wattage device running, i.e. >600 watts, there will be a voltage drop and heating will take longer. That's why high heat appliances like stoves and dryers often need a specially-installed 240V line. Many good blenders, food processors and juicers use an 800+ watt motor. Vacuum cleaners and air conditioners also use a lot of wattage

abbasnoor

quality posts: 0 Private Messages abbasnoor

Please mention the package weight and the voltage

araczynski

quality posts: 2 Private Messages araczynski

Lol, it lays flat if you manually unscrew the handle. This is amateur copy cat hour. Woot shouldn't even be selling this dollar store junk.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 586 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

abbasnoor wrote:Please mention the package weight and the voltage

Amazon says shipping weight is 11 lbs.

I cannot find voltage so probably 120v only.

araczynski wrote:Lol, it lays flat if you manually unscrew the handle. This is amateur copy cat hour. Woot shouldn't even be selling this dollar store junk.

I believe the handle levels that side of the grill.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

sdc100

abbasnoor wrote:Please mention the package weight and the voltage

I'm almost positive that it's 110/120V only. Heating devices are sensitive to voltage so you generally wouldn't make a device that can vary from 120v-240v. It's cheaper to make two separate versions for each voltage. Unless you're traveling out of the country, most consumers are more concerned with the Wattage (or Amperage), which is 1500.

luke975

quality posts: 14 Private Messages luke975
sdc100 wrote:I'm almost positive that it's 110/120V only. Heating devices are sensitive to voltage so you generally wouldn't make a device that can vary from 120v-240v. It's cheaper to make two separate versions for each voltage. Unless you're traveling out of the country, most consumers are more concerned with the Wattage (or Amperage), which is 1500.

we went on a cruise and I bought an adapter for the 240 volt outlet in our room. my cell phone did fine charging with it, the curling iron didn't fare as well.

to the woot staff member that screwed up the back2skool code so I could get a lot of nice things for free - thank you.

LordBling

quality posts: 4 Private Messages LordBling

Not a drop of grease on that cooked bacon! Seems legit...

jqubed

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jqubed

The product features say it cooks "Pancakes and waffles" (italics mine) but I don't see any pictures or mention of waffle-shaped plates.

ⅉℚ Seventh Annual Woot! Bracketology | I'm Quality Peoples!

Skye — 1997-2007

sdc100

jqubed wrote:The product features say it cooks "Pancakes and waffles" (italics mine) but I don't see any pictures or mention of waffle-shaped plates.

Well, it doesn't claim to be a waffle maker. By cooking, they mean heating up and crisping frozen waffles, like those from Eggo. In the same way, paninis are basically ready to eat as sandwishes, and don't need cooking in the traditional sense. All a panini grill does is to heat it up to melt the cheese and brown the bread. At least that's my guess...

sdc100

luke975 wrote:we went on a cruise and I bought an adapter for the 240 volt outlet in our room. my cell phone did fine charging with it, the curling iron didn't fare as well.

Yep, resistive appliances (aka ones that heat up) generally don't do well with voltage conversion. I've heard of fires starting when cheap converters are used. If you need a 240V travel iron or hair dryer, make sure to buy one with the feature built in.

MichXelle

quality posts: 38 Private Messages MichXelle

After we checked Amazon we decided to pass. Especially after this review which is correct. One of our 2 sons owns the older model, he verified all of that information. http://www.amazon.com/review/R266OYSLDCBTH3/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt#R266OYSLDCBTH3 Read this lengthy but correct Amazon review before you buy it. We're glad we did, we almost ordered 3 for our daughter and 2 sons.

OVER 550 W00T CARTFULS as of 06/25/14. You're killing us with some wonderful items W000T!

OVER 8 years on W00T shopping and The W00T Forum, since 02/06 with now a whopping 34 Quality Posts L-M-A-O! We do post quality information as do others that isn't recognized. Thanks for the 3 in 1 entire week! We're humbled. 3 additional noticed in 3 months. No more positive posts as our are not noticed.

sdc100

MichXelle wrote:After we checked Amazon we decided to pass. Especially after this review which is correct. One of our 2 sons owns the older model, he verified all of that information. http://www.amazon.com/review/R266OYSLDCBTH3/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt#R266OYSLDCBTH3 Read this lengthy but correct Amazon review before you buy it. We're glad we did, we almost ordered 3 for our daughter and 2 sons.

Ah, it's made(?)/distributed by Emson. That explains the poor reviews. Emson is one of those generic companies like Coby and Bell&Howell that merely stamp their name on cheap Chinese-made products. You'd probably find this exact grill under some other brand in another country. Emson is a bit different in that they have a lot of As-See-on_TV products and their knockoffs. But the quality is very lacking. You can often find Emson products in Dollar Stores,

juror58

quality posts: 2 Private Messages juror58
sdc100 wrote:I wonder if the problem might be low voltages. ...

No, low voltage has nothing to do with it. At least not in my case. I plugged mine into a 20 amp circuit with nothing else running. Voltage was 120. (Yes, I checked it.) This grill took 8 1/2 minutes to heat to 375, a Cuisinart Griddler took only four minutes to reach the same to a temperature.

There's a reason this grill is "66% off" here. The real "savings" is about 40% off of Amazon's price. For $50 this is a "not bad" grill, but $150 it definitely is not worth it.