12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

lichme

quality posts: 3187 Private Messages lichme

Product Page

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com
Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat | Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

Warning: Too much awesome to be contained in such a small space

wootstalkerbot

quality posts: 13 Private Messages wootstalkerbot

[Preview 1][Preview 2][Preview 3][Preview 4][Preview 5][Preview 6][Preview 7]

Dell 17.3" Quad-Core Laptop (7 Colors)
Price: $429.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 3-5 business days (Wednesday, Apr 09 to Monday, Apr 14) + transit
Condition: Factory Reconditioned

Buy It Search Amazon Search Google

***Facebook/Twitter notifications enabled***

Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat |Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

wootstalkerbot

quality posts: 13 Private Messages wootstalkerbot

Here are some additional drivers and support

***Facebook/Twitter notifications enabled***

Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat |Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

ojohn

quality posts: 42 Private Messages ojohn

I do not have anything against AMD or Dell. AMD is fine when it meets your needs.

But check the speed of this 5545M processor on this page:

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php

And on the same page, check the speed of any other processor you are familiar with or have.

"Quad Core" does not necessarily mean superfast - that goes for Intel too.

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3914 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

steve3d3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages steve3d3

Can you please explain to me "10/100 Fast Ethernet" in this day and age? It would cost pennies to provide gigabit ethernet. Come on Dell!

kiwikish

quality posts: 3 Private Messages kiwikish
steve3d3 wrote:Can you please explain to me "10/100 Fast Ethernet" in this day and age? It would cost pennies to provide gigabit ethernet. Come on Dell!

No kidding. Makes my Google Fiber connection worthless to have if I didn't have a gigabit port on my computer.

pukeboy

quality posts: 5 Private Messages pukeboy

In what universe is 1600x900 considered HD PLUS?

HD is 1920x1080.

HD+ would be a minimum of 1920x1200.

1600x900 is HD MINUS.

Also, "Inspirion"? Is that like aluminium?

You're on probation!

You've been put on posting probation for this post for this reason: Inappropriate and gross post. Deleted multiple times for a reason. 48h

Please stare at the scary cartoon dog for 48 hours and then try posting again.

kcspies

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kcspies

Sorry but anything over 720 is considered HD. So yeah 900 is HD+. As much as I might not like the fact it is still a fact.

It is just like high speed internet access is anything over 56K.

pukeboy wrote:In what universe is 1600x900 considered HD PLUS?

HD is 1920x1080.

HD+ would be a minimum of 1920x1200.

1600x900 is HD MINUS.

Also, "Inspirion"? Is that like aluminium?

kcspies

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kcspies
kiwikish wrote:No kidding. Makes my Google Fiber connection worthless to have if I didn't have a gigabit port on my computer.

Odd, if I had 1Gbit and could get half of that over Wireless N and I only had this laptop it would work for me.

This is a general work laptop not a high end gaming rig.

MattHeinicke

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MattHeinicke

Does anyone know if this is linux compatible?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 617 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

steve3d3 wrote:Can you please explain to me "10/100 Fast Ethernet" in this day and age? It would cost pennies to provide gigabit ethernet. Come on Dell!

YAY! You didn't blame us!

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

Canis

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Canis

That 5400 RPM drive is gonna CRAWL, especially while booting. Replacing it with a solid state drive will make this laptop SO MUCH faster.

mpeters13

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mpeters13
ojohn wrote:I do not have anything against AMD or Dell. AMD is fine when it meets your needs.

But check the speed of this 5545M processor on this page:

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php

And on the same page, check the speed of any other processor you are familiar with or have.

"Quad Core" does not necessarily mean superfast - that goes for Intel too.

This is exactly what I needed. Thanks for sharing!

gak0090

quality posts: 86 Private Messages gak0090
kcspies wrote:Sorry but anything over 720 is considered HD. So yeah 900 is HD+. As much as I might not like the fact it is still a fact.

It is just like high speed internet access is anything over 56K.

Yes you are correct unfortunately. The sad thing is that the pixel density is almost the same between a 15.6" 1366x768 and a 17.3" 1600x900. So basically you just have a bigger crappy screen.

colbytitus

quality posts: 5 Private Messages colbytitus

To the people pounding on what this DOESN'T have - do you know where we can get all those missing features for this price range?

We all know there are faster processors out there, better blah blah etc - it's features vs. price.

When I went shopping for a Hyundai Sante Fe I didn't compare it to an Escalade, I compared it to similarly priced vehicles.

colbytitus

quality posts: 5 Private Messages colbytitus

I saw on Dell's website that their laptops they currently offer with Windows 8 can be downgraded to Windows 7, anyone know if this one can?

ugrasse2

quality posts: 7 Private Messages ugrasse2
colbytitus wrote:To the people pounding on what this DOESN'T have - do you know where we can get all those missing features for this price range?

We all know there are faster processors out there, better blah blah etc - it's features vs. price.

When I went shopping for a Hyundai Sante Fe I didn't compare it to an Escalade, I compared it to similarly priced vehicles.

Well yea... but you have to compare this used Hyundai to the new Kia down the street. For $450, you can go to a local retailer or elsewhere on the interwebs and get a similarly poorly performing laptop brand new. Not refurb. With warranty.

Oh, and don't get a 17" laptop as a portable computer. It's no more portable than that Santa Fe is an off-road vehicle.

cherwingate

quality posts: 3 Private Messages cherwingate

As a total non-tech type, this looks like a pretty nice PC. Am I wrong? I need a good home PC that's used mainly for surfing the web; storing and manipulating photo files; running iTunes and storing music files, watching a DVD now and then, and running programs like Photo Shop and Family Tree Maker. One of these should be fine for all that, shouldn't it?

spacelunatic

quality posts: 4 Private Messages spacelunatic
cherwingate wrote:As a total non-tech type, this looks like a pretty nice PC. Am I wrong? I need a good home PC that's used mainly for surfing the web; storing and manipulating photo files; running iTunes and storing music files, watching a DVD now and then, and running programs like Photo Shop and Family Tree Maker. One of these should be fine for all that, shouldn't it?

Yes, this should be fine for those uses, no problem.

sensibull

quality posts: 2 Private Messages sensibull
ugrasse2 wrote:For $450, you can go to a local retailer or elsewhere on the interwebs and get a similarly poorly performing laptop brand new. Not refurb. With warranty.

Please provide a link to a new or factory reconditioned 17" laptop with 8GB of RAM, a 1TB HD, and a semi-ok processor (of recent vintage) for $429 or less. With a 1-year warranty, please.

I'll wait patiently.