zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

lichme

quality posts: 2848 Private Messages lichme

[Preview 1][Preview 2]

Roku 2 XD Streaming Media Player
Price: $34.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard OR $9 Two-Day OR $12 One-Day
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 1-2 business days (Friday, Jan 17 to Monday, Jan 20) + transit
Condition: Factory Reconditioned

Buy It Search Amazon Search Google

Previous Similar Sales (May not be exact model)
12/23/2013 - $34.99 - 114 comment(s)
12/19/2013 - $34.99 (Woot-off) - 23 comment(s)
11/25/2013 - $34.99 - 69 comment(s)

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3465 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Check out this overview on cnet

wired.com tests many different media streamers for your reading pleasure.

On a personal note, I have been using my Roku 2 XD a lot more in the last month. The interface is very easy to use and love the fact that I can use my iPhone as the remote. No more looking for the remote!

xxooss

quality posts: 12 Private Messages xxooss

had mine a long time and love it.

bozosc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bozosc

Does it have a USB port on it?

nameless1

quality posts: 5 Private Messages nameless1
bozosc wrote:Does it have a USB port on it?

No USB, but it does have a microSD slot.

crabboy

quality posts: 3 Private Messages crabboy

The product = great. Refurbished....not so great. I ordered one of these from Woot recently. It came quick, but did not work. I contacted Woot, who told me that the unit was under warranty and to contact Roku directly. After a dog and pony show, Roku sent me another (I had to pay to ship the broken unit to them). They sent another, which works perfectly. I am very happy with the unit, but am now wary of ordering anything refurbished from Woot. YMMV.

GenHacker

quality posts: 0 Private Messages GenHacker

I have to say that this would really only be good if your TV or blue ray did not have these streaming apps already, as mine do. At this point it would just be another way to get to the same thing I already have. Good option for an old analog tv , for sure!!

thekla

quality posts: 5 Private Messages thekla

how good does your internet have to be to use this, I have a "high speed" connection, but am in the sticks so my high speed might not be the same as closer in ones, anyone out there in the sticks that has used this?

chickenmumbo

quality posts: 5 Private Messages chickenmumbo

I dont think there is a "smart tv" that has anywhere the number of channels Roku does. My Panasonic certainly does not work as well and most Tvs have some sort of proprietary dongle which cost more than a Roku. I love mine.

eklebau

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eklebau

I got the XS at newegg with free shipping for $40.95. That is a refurb and not their regular price but I see it come back from time to time. I enjoy the XS a lot more than the XD. I find the Ethernet and the usb very useful.

kwkilcoyne

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kwkilcoyne
GenHacker wrote:I have to say that this would really only be good if your TV or blue ray did not have these streaming apps already, as mine do. At this point it would just be another way to get to the same thing I already have. Good option for an old analog tv , for sure!!

The apps respond much more quickly on the Roku. I never use the ones on the TV anymore, not to mention the glacially slow BD player.

greyday

quality posts: 52 Private Messages greyday
GenHacker wrote:I have to say that this would really only be good if your TV or blue ray did not have these streaming apps already, as mine do. At this point it would just be another way to get to the same thing I already have. Good option for an old analog tv , for sure!!

I completely disagree. First off, power consumption: this thing uses around 2W when streaming HD. The ps3, for high end comparison, uses around 180-200W. That's a pretty big difference. Average blu ray player is around 30W, which is still 15x as much...

Second, channels. Roku offers just about every streaming channel available, while all other devices seem limited (finding another device that does Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon is pretty difficult), and aside from the PS3, no other device can run Plex as well. And the roku 3 has it's own marketplace you can link with uktraviolet, so you can watch anything in that account and rent movies directly (not sure if this is available in the 2xd, I have a 3 and two first gens and it's not on the first gens).

I do agree this is the model for a non-hd tv, though, as I think this may be the last one they included RCA outs on...

If your tv has all the apps you need then sure, but beyond that I highly recommend Roku.

iads04

quality posts: 0 Private Messages iads04
thekla wrote:how good does your internet have to be to use this, I have a "high speed" connection, but am in the sticks so my high speed might not be the same as closer in ones, anyone out there in the sticks that has used this?

Use my refurbished Roku 2 XS bought at Newegg with TWC lowest, cheapest speed, 1.5 up to 3 Mbps, wireless in a small house, and it works well. I'm sure loading speed would improve a bit with faster internet but buffering wait is not real problem.

And it has many more channel options for streaming movies, shows, etc..., than comes with apps on my TV it is worth giving a try. Mine also came with Angry Birds game my 7 yr old loves.

steveken

quality posts: 5 Private Messages steveken

Just wondering, I have a Roku 3 already along with a 1st gen Roku (I think it is an 1100??). How would this one compare to the 3? I would be replacing the original one in my bedroom with this one if I got it. Just wanted to get a basic idea of the differences I would see. Would the interface be more like the Roku 1st gen? Or would the interface be like a 3? And how slow is it? Is it as slow as the 1st gen? I know it won't be as fast as the 3. Just looking to figure out if this might be a good fit for me, or if I should just get another 3, basically.

skispeakeasy

quality posts: 31 Private Messages skispeakeasy

Grabbed one of these for the slingmedia capabilities.

The original Roku I gave my dad back in 2009 still functions perfectly. I have no doubt this will be just as solid.

Done and done! ;)

redcore

quality posts: 2 Private Messages redcore

Grabbed a couple of these suckers. I have a Chromecast, which is pretty cool, but the providers are limited for now and trying to explain to my girlfriend how to use it has been...unsuccessful. She had a Roku 1, so this will be familiar to her.

ygerson

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ygerson
steveken wrote:Just wondering, I have a Roku 3 already along with a 1st gen Roku (I think it is an 1100??). How would this one compare to the 3? I would be replacing the original one in my bedroom with this one if I got it. Just wanted to get a basic idea of the differences I would see. Would the interface be more like the Roku 1st gen? Or would the interface be like a 3? And how slow is it? Is it as slow as the 1st gen? I know it won't be as fast as the 3. Just looking to figure out if this might be a good fit for me, or if I should just get another 3, basically.

I just ordered my first Roku so can't answer that from experience. These may be helpful though:
http://www.solveyourtech.com/roku-2-xd-vs-roku-3/

http://www.roku.com/products/compare

http://support.roku.com/entries/20345913-Product-Comparison-All-Roku-Player-Models

xninjagrrl

quality posts: 7 Private Messages xninjagrrl

Nope. Find a XS. It has a usb port, ethernet and i believe additional memory. Oh and the motion sensor bluetooth remote for gaming. You can usually find a refurb XS for 40 bucks shipped any day of the week. I think the usb port is worth it alone.

Pros: The pills were there.
Cons: So was the tank.

jondub81

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jondub81

For some reason, the purple tag on the Roku always turns me off from ever buying one. Makes it look like a cheap toy in my opinion.

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 96 Private Messages radi0j0hn

Do you think that, in the future, people will find the current rash of "unboxing" videos really weird?

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

ricktt3

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ricktt3
xninjagrrl wrote:You can usually find a refurb XS for 40 bucks shipped any day of the week. I think the usb port is worth it alone.

I have been looking for a good price on an XS or XD for a while. I have never seen an XS for $40.

sompopo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages sompopo

Bought one of these in December for forty five dollars with the gaming remote. Works great so far.

jmzombro

quality posts: 4 Private Messages jmzombro
crabboy wrote:The product = great. Refurbished....not so great. I ordered one of these from Woot recently. It came quick, but did not work. I contacted Woot, who told me that the unit was under warranty and to contact Roku directly. After a dog and pony show, Roku sent me another (I had to pay to ship the broken unit to them). They sent another, which works perfectly. I am very happy with the unit, but am now wary of ordering anything refurbished from Woot. YMMV.

For what it's worth, I had a comparable issue with Asus. I have to pay woot to ship it to me, it comes and doesn't work, and then I have to pay to ship it to in my case Asus. Really take issue with that. I've bought other refurb stuff off woot with no problem, but I guess I'll add Roku to my list of forget it.

billyrhythm

quality posts: 1 Private Messages billyrhythm

Does anyone know if this model supports the new History Channel and Lifetime Channel? I have an original Roku, and when I added the channels to my line up it said "No compatible device found." Is this model compatible?

Kungfoomf

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kungfoomf

The BD player in my daughter's room has Netflix and a couple others, but no Amazon. Additionally, even though we have 10 Megaboops download speed, it buffers and disconnects fairly often. I have another television (and PC) that streams flawlessly so I know the connection is fine. For these reasons, I am in for one to replace that shoddy BD player.

madocowain

quality posts: 1 Private Messages madocowain

I purchased one of these refurb from Woot in a previous sale. I then bought a second one for the bedroom because the first worked so well.

The first unit I got was DOA, bad wall plug, but Roku support sent me another one very quickly. Netflix is GREAT here, never buffers and is far more responsive than my TiVo Premier's Netflix app. Channels like Pandora and Slacker were easy to set up. My only beef is that the Plex app is no longer "free", you must have the PlexPass (pay version of Plex) to install the Plex app on the Roku now, even if you are only streaming from a server on your local network!

From Plex:
"NEW USERS ONLY - The official channel will be available for free in the channel store and comes with a 30-day free trial. After the trial period expires, the channel will always be free for PlexPass users, or can be fully unlocked by making a small one-time in-channel purchase. So, to recap: PlexPass users always get the channel as part of their subscription; non-PlexPass users get a 30-day free trial and can choose to permanently unlock the channel with a one-time purchase.

Existing users will continue to get the channel for free. Your Roku account has essentially been gifted the in-channel purchase. And Roku in-channel purchases are per-account, not per-device. So even if you go out and buy a new Roku, as long as you link it to your same account, you'll get the full channel for free."

greyday

quality posts: 52 Private Messages greyday
madocowain wrote:I purchased one of these refurb from Woot in a previous sale. I then bought a second one for the bedroom because the first worked so well.

The first unit I got was DOA, bad wall plug, but Roku support sent me another one very quickly. Netflix is GREAT here, never buffers and is far more responsive than my TiVo Premier's Netflix app. Channels like Pandora and Slacker were easy to set up. My only beef is that the Plex app is no longer "free", you must have the PlexPass (pay version of Plex) to install the Plex app on the Roku now, even if you are only streaming from a server on your local network!

That's not my experience. I have three rokus (one 3 and two first gen) and all three are fine with the plex app, no fee required. Hmm...

kabob983

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kabob983

I almost bought a Roku 3 yesterday but held off due to the price, I'm tempted to pick one of these up. The biggest reason for me is the WatchESPN app. Currently I have it on my Xbox 360 but I'm looking to ditch the console and possibly get a Playstation 4 which does not have the app. I know that Roku is one of the devices that has it, I'd get a Roku for that alone.

My biggest question is will the Roku 2 XD suffice or should I pony up and pay for a 3?

-Kabob

madocowain

quality posts: 1 Private Messages madocowain
greyday wrote:That's not my experience. I have three rokus (one 3 and two first gen) and all three are fine with the plex app, no fee required. Hmm...

The Plex app is "grandfathered" by account, so you'll not have the problem unless you're brand-new to Roku.

mynamehere

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mynamehere

The "XS" has a USB port.

The microSD slot is only to increase memory to store channels and games, not for a media source.

qex

quality posts: 4 Private Messages qex
steveken wrote:Just wondering, I have a Roku 3 already along with a 1st gen Roku (I think it is an 1100??). How would this one compare to the 3? I would be replacing the original one in my bedroom with this one if I got it. Just wanted to get a basic idea of the differences I would see. Would the interface be more like the Roku 1st gen? Or would the interface be like a 3? And how slow is it? Is it as slow as the 1st gen? I know it won't be as fast as the 3. Just looking to figure out if this might be a good fit for me, or if I should just get another 3, basically.

Roku actually pushes out updates to the older boxs (2nd generation on up), so this one should have the same interface as the Roku 3, it just won't be quite as fast, or have the headphone jack in the remote.

qex

quality posts: 4 Private Messages qex
madocowain wrote:I purchased one of these refurb from Woot in a previous sale. I then bought a second one for the bedroom because the first worked so well.

From Plex:
"NEW USERS ONLY - The official channel will be available for free in the channel store and comes with a 30-day free trial. After the trial period expires, the channel will always be free for PlexPass users, or can be fully unlocked by making a small one-time in-channel purchase. So, to recap: PlexPass users always get the channel as part of their subscription; non-PlexPass users get a 30-day free trial and can choose to permanently unlock the channel with a one-time purchase.

Existing users will continue to get the channel for free. Your Roku account has essentially been gifted the in-channel purchase. And Roku in-channel purchases are per-account, not per-device. So even if you go out and buy a new Roku, as long as you link it to your same account, you'll get the full channel for free."

Actually, you don't need PlexPass, you can pay the one time fee of $5 and get the channel for life.

roontoon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages roontoon

I really liked the idea of the Roku but it has turned out that this specific model doesn't work for me.

I recently purchase 2 of these during a woot off recently and neither of them are able to connect to my wireless.

I contacted woot and have yet to receive any response from them regarding the issue. I have never received such poor customer service from Woot before.

I fear if i dont get a response soon then i wont be able to return them because too much time will have passed.

I would recommend that you just purchase directly from Roku instead of purchasing this refurbished one. At least if it doesn't work like the two the i purchased you will be able to return them to Roku directly.

xninjagrrl

ricktt3 wrote:I have been looking for a good price on an XS or XD for a while. I have never seen an XS for $40.

All the time at newegg with a $10 off coupon code. I see this at least once or twice a week at slickdeals.net

In fact, before you buy anything in life, consult that site.

dadrepus

quality posts: 4 Private Messages dadrepus

If your going to put it in a bedroom then get the 3. It has saved my marriage solely due to the earphone jack on the side of the remote. What a brilliant idea! I can now watch late night stuff on my Plex server and not disturb my wife. It cuts out the TV speaker when plugged in. I only wish it was built like Google TV boxes and had an HDMI in and out and was an interface to live TV. Then I could watch live and recorded without disturbing my wife's sleep.

xninjagrrl

kabob983 wrote:I almost bought a Roku 3 yesterday but held off due to the price, I'm tempted to pick one of these up. The biggest reason for me is the WatchESPN app. Currently I have it on my Xbox 360 but I'm looking to ditch the console and possibly get a Playstation 4 which does not have the app. I know that Roku is one of the devices that has it, I'd get a Roku for that alone.

My biggest question is will the Roku 2 XD suffice or should I pony up and pay for a 3?

you can get a roku 3 refurb for 70 bucks any day. I hear the 3 is much faster than any of the 2's. When the refub 3 hits $50 I will bite. I already have a ps3, 360 and X1 I dont need a roku, just always wanted to check out all the weird foreign channels.

sputniq

quality posts: 5 Private Messages sputniq

I have this unit and love it. It is missing one thing: Youtube.

If streaming youtube is important to you, go with a Roku3. If not, in my opinion, Roku 2 is fast, easy, and powerful. It feels like "current" technology in it's speed and handling of most video.

Before I got a Roku 2, I was ready to throw my remote through the screen several times as my "smart" Vizio Blu Ray player would constantly hiccup and paus and stop during Hulu use. The Roku has been FANTASTIC. Never a streaming issue. I use it to watch stuff from my SimpleTV, from Netflix, and from Hulu no problem.

I just wish it had Youtube. So, while this offer is tempting, I'll be waiting to buy a Roku 3 for cheap and moving the Roku 2 to a secondary tv.

Hope that helps!

hurrifred2002

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hurrifred2002
jondub81 wrote:For some reason, the purple tag on the Roku always turns me off from ever buying one. Makes it look like a cheap toy in my opinion.