quality posts: 3107 Private Messages lichme

Check out some reviews from Walmart

lichme

quality posts: 3107 Private Messages lichme

[Preview 1][Preview 2]

Akai Top Load CD+G Karaoke System
Price: $19.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard OR $12 Two-Day OR $15 One-Day
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 1-2 business days (Monday, Jan 06 to Tuesday, Jan 07) + transit
Condition: New

Buy It Search Amazon Search Google

Previous Similar Sales (May not be exact model)
12/20/2013 - $19.99 - 10 comment(s)
12/20/2013 - $19.99 - 10 comment(s)
11/21/2013 - $29.99 - 15 comment(s)

12/4/2013 - $29.99 (Woot Plus)
11/25/2013 - $29.99 (Woot Plus)

aplio

quality posts: 5 Private Messages aplio

This deal has been here before. Even though it's pretty cheap, the problem is that it requires CD+Gs. I looked at how to make CD+Gs the last time this deal showed up, and it seemed to me to be a lot of hassle. So I passed then, and am passing now.

mamurphy88

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mamurphy88
aplio wrote:This deal has been here before. Even though it's pretty cheap, the problem is that it requires CD+Gs. I looked at how to make CD+Gs the last time this deal showed up, and it seemed to me to be a lot of hassle. So I passed then, and am passing now.

This seems fairly hassle free: http://karaoke-cd-g-creator.en.softonic.com/

Karaoke CD+G Creator is designed to be as easy to use as possible... how to create CD+G song in a matter of minutes

I've never used this, but it looks legit and was the first result on Google.

"i want something cute on my shirt, not the mona lisa."

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3784 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

For $20, it is a nice thing to have to keep any little ones occupied while visiting. Also make a nice, inexpensive gift.

Shmuel510

quality posts: 9 Private Messages Shmuel510
mamurphy88 wrote:I've never used this, but it looks legit and was the first result on Google.

That particular piece of software (a) is $99 after a 14-day trial, and (b) doesn't actually let you burn CD-Gs; it simply lets you generate files for playing on your computer, or burning with other software.

They do offer such other software. That'll run you $39, or a mere $29 if you've spent the $99 on the first program. Note that it works better with some CD burners than with others.

In short: it's pretty far from "fairly hassle-free."

Shmuel510

quality posts: 9 Private Messages Shmuel510

All of that said, I'd be interested in hearing from somebody who bought this in one of the previous sales regarding its actual performance.

nclucky

quality posts: 4 Private Messages nclucky
Shmuel510 wrote:All of that said, I'd be interested in hearing from somebody who bought this in one of the previous sales regarding its actual performance.

I purchased it in November/early December for $10 more on Woot as a Christmas present for myself.
Set-up: Simple, quick, easy to do. I have it attached through our stereo which is attached to our TV. It comes with the cords you need, although they are not very long. The mic cord is long enough to use easily for most people. The tallest person who used it was 6'2" and he seemed to have no problems with the system set on the floor.
Performance: To play straight through the player is fine. I am not too particular about the sound, but it seems fine to me and the volume adjusts easily. You can adjust the mic to be louder than the main volume. There is also a control to have the main vocals (if you use them) to get softer when you use the mic.
Through our speaker system and TV, we have had some interesting experiences with the play. If we sing too loudly into the mic, the video gets a little funky. I think singing too loudly through the stereo somehow messes up the CD-G slightly. The words still come on the screen and the music still plays, it is just a little hiccup.
What can you play: The CD-Gs we've used have been fine and have played easily. We bought one that has one set of tracks with the main vocals and one set of tracks that has only the background music. I have tried regular CDs and, as long as they don't have any scratches, they also play fine. The third way I've used this is to use my tablet to hook to the player. Most of my music is on my tablet. I had to buy a cord to connect my tablet, but there is an input for it. This has worked great, too. However, the volume is not as loud. Youtube has many karaoke videos, so this makes for a convenient and inexpensive way of using the system without buying the CD-Gs.

Overall: I would "recommend this to a friend" who was looking for a fun way to experience karaoke. We are planning a karaoke night in the near future and are confident that this will get us through a wild night.

nhef

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nhef

Got mine the day before xmas - despite bad reviews on amazon...took a chance. Didnt work, no video. Contacted woot Dec 24th..got standard 'we are busy, gef to you soon' email. Week later still no word, sent another email @ Decc 30th or so, another case number assigned. Still no word back from woot. It is junk, do not buy it. And if they dont deal with this soon I wont be buying anything else from them!

hurrifred2002

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hurrifred2002
Shmuel510 wrote:All of that said, I'd be interested in hearing from somebody who bought this in one of the previous sales regarding its actual performance.

I ordered one the last time it was offered, right before Christmas. I am in line waiting to hear from Woot as to what I need to do.
My unit is probably defective. First thing, the power cord is an extremely loose fit. It won't stay in...could be fixed with some kind of wedge i suppose. The other problem is a static like hissing that won't go away. I do find it hard to believe it ever sold for the suggested list price as it is very light weight. I have never had a problem with a Woot purchase and I am sure they will make this problem right.

reidzilla

quality posts: 0 Private Messages reidzilla

Enjoyed with the family as an early gift. Worked great certainly for the price........until we got to the tracks on the outside of the disc. After about 2/3 through the disc the internal speaker vibrates the unit enough to cause the racks to stick and skip, and the graphics pile up on themselves on screen. Use an external sound source (IE: TV speakers) and no problems.

Might have just been the one I got or might be get what you pay for. I am waiting to see how the return/exchange process goes.

jasonking0351

quality posts: 16 Private Messages jasonking0351

I have purchased 4 of these units from Woot recently. My first purchase was for 1 unit and I ordered 3 more before Christmas. I was saving one of these for a gift but I won't risk giving it due to the quality.

Like other users, 2 of my 3 units that I opened so far were defective. Since I had 1 unit that did work, the kids ended up taking the mic from the defective unit #1 and they plugged it into the good unit for a 2 mic song collaboration since there are 2 mic slots on the device.

As I mentioned 2 of 3 opened units were defective but my recent bad Woot purchase experience that went through a support ticket wasn't worth the effort to deal with again for returning the 2 units.

Yes, the power cord does fit loosely and it required some wiggling to work.

Overall if you want to take a 25 buck risk per device on a potential defective unit then it's worth the purchase when it does work. The reviews on poor quality are accurate. For our 1 working unit my 5 year old has had a great time with it which is worth the 100 bucks that I have spent overall. I bought 4 knowing that I would just eat the cost if broken rather than dealing with Woot support.

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 175 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

hurrifred2002 wrote:I ordered one the last time it was offered, right before Christmas. I am in line waiting to hear from Woot as to what I need to do.
My unit is probably defective. First thing, the power cord is an extremely loose fit. It won't stay in...could be fixed with some kind of wedge i suppose. The other problem is a static like hissing that won't go away. I do find it hard to believe it ever sold for the suggested list price as it is very light weight. I have never had a problem with a Woot purchase and I am sure they will make this problem right.

nhef wrote:Got mine the day before xmas - despite bad reviews on amazon...took a chance. Didnt work, no video. Contacted woot Dec 24th..got standard 'we are busy, gef to you soon' email. Week later still no word, sent another email @ Decc 30th or so, another case number assigned. Still no word back from woot. It is junk, do not buy it. And if they dont deal with this soon I wont be buying anything else from them!

I'm sorry to hear that you guys haven't heard back from Woot Member Services.

I've gone ahead and forwarded your inquiries along to Woot Member Services to help expedite a response.

Thank you for your continued patience while they attend to the issue.

LemonAtty

quality posts: 0 Private Messages LemonAtty

I got one for Xmas for the kids. They like it. I like it. I have not had the time to really "dig into" it but I did notice the knobs are unbelievably cheap and will most certainly fail in a short period of time. Still, a night out of Karaoke may cost you more than this. It's on OK deal but really, what do you want for 20.00 anyhow?

jaivardhan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jaivardhan

Can I input music from my laptop. As there are various websites, where they have online karaoke music.

compmikey

quality posts: 6 Private Messages compmikey

Question: Can I use this for simple voice amplification? Karaoke is so 90s, but I need something to shout down the passengers on a bus trip and thought a bull horn to be too harsh.

theco2

quality posts: 84 Private Messages theco2
compmikey wrote:Question: Can I use this for simple voice amplification? Karaoke is so 90s, but I need something to shout down the passengers on a bus trip and thought a bull horn to be too harsh.

Go with the bull horn.