WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Tablets

For so long we've been using a mouse, but we've always had it, that relentless desire to touch what we're looking at. Touching the screen would give us a deep intimate connection with our favorite websites and documents that we'd been previously lacking. Well, fret no longer! With tablets, you can touch the screen to your heart's content.

tralf

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tralf

I have to say, I bought the refurb the 700t off a different site recently, and I really really wanted to like it, I loved what the device COULD be, but I was so dissatisfied with customer service (windows activation issues) and build quality (infamous keyboard connection) I RMA'd and I'm now offloading the to eBay. Just my own experience though - it was good value for the hardware, and I loved using the pen.

PapaMidnight

quality posts: 4 Private Messages PapaMidnight
tralf wrote:I have to say, I bought the refurb the 700t off a different site recently, and I really really wanted to like it, I loved what the device COULD be, but I was so dissatisfied with customer service (windows activation issues) and build quality (infamous keyboard connection) I RMA'd and I'm now offloading the to eBay. Just my own experience though - it was good value for the hardware, and I loved using the pen.

Can you elaborate as to the problems with the keyboard connection? I bought my mom one of the 500T's some time ago, then got her a keyboard dock and it's been a solid connection ever since. For all intents and purposes, she uses it as a laptop.

6 years bag-of-crapless and counting...

jcharpentier

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jcharpentier

I also have a 700T.

The keyboard constantly loses its connection to the tablet unless you set it on a solid surface- don't try to use it on your lap or an airplane tray.

I'm 6' tall, and when the tablet is on my lap, you can't tilt it far enough back to get a good view (tablet is heavier than the keyboard dock-it contains all the guts, so it limits how far you can open it so it doesn’t tip over.)

As far as running it, I don’t use any windows 8 native apps- all I use are desktop programs, haven’t found anything useful in the “Windows Store”.

All that said- with the dock (which contains an extra battery) this thing has great battery life- I can go days of use without charging. It’s a solid little “notebook” which you can use as a tablet if you want.

Edit: Also, I'm not a fan of the clicky touchpad with no buttons on the keyboard. You can do the light tap, or push harder to get click/right click.

However, the keyboard itself is really good- nice action on the keys for how thin it is, and it is really a full sized keyboard.

jcharpentier

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jcharpentier
PapaMidnight wrote:Can you elaborate as to the problems with the keyboard connection? I bought my mom one of the 500T's some time ago, then got her a keyboard dock and it's been a solid connection ever since. For all intents and purposes, she uses it as a laptop.

The 700T connects to the dock using some kind of proprietary USB connector. If it's not perfectly seated in the dock, it connects and disconnects as you move the thing around. (really annoying if you leave the sound on and hear the Windows8 "You Plugged in a USB device" sound immediately followed by the "You unplugged a USB device" sound.

Over and Over.
And Over.

PocketBrain

quality posts: 46 Private Messages PocketBrain

HP should trade me an elitepad for my old TouchPad, to set things aright.

priyeshsharma

quality posts: 0 Private Messages priyeshsharma

Anyone here has any idea on whether the refurb 2nd gen Nexus 32GB is a good deal? Also, is the physical condition of the tablets restored during refurb, or should I expect physical signs (scratches, dents etc) of usage being present?

amandamichelle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages amandamichelle
priyeshsharma wrote:Anyone here has any idea on whether the refurb 2nd gen Nexus 32GB is a good deal? Also, is the physical condition of the tablets restored during refurb, or should I expect physical signs (scratches, dents etc) of usage being present?

I can't speak to the refurbished quality, but I think the price is good. I purchased a Nexus 7 2013 from Rakuten (formerly Buy.com) for $229 brand new... but that was a Cyber Monday/Black Friday deal. Now the price is back up to $269/270... So I think the price is pretty fair.

priyeshsharma

quality posts: 0 Private Messages priyeshsharma
amandamichelle wrote:I can't speak to the refurbished quality, but I think the price is good. I purchased a Nexus 7 2013 from Rakuten (formerly Buy.com) for $229 brand new... but that was a Cyber Monday/Black Friday deal. Now the price is back up to $269/270... So I think the price is pretty fair.

Thanks, that helps from a price perspective.

If someone could tell me the physical quality of the refurbed device?

demon00689

quality posts: 10 Private Messages demon00689
priyeshsharma wrote:
If someone could tell me the physical quality of the refurbed device?

This appears to be a 1st gen, and only 16GB, but the reviews may give you some idea of people's opinion on the quality of Nexus refurbs in general.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Google-Nexus-7-Tablet-with-16GB-Memory-Refurbished/23492233

EDIT: Lots of reviews say it arrived looking just like new and worked great. A number of others say it arrived dead-on-arrival. I did not notice anyone saying the physical condition of the product was anything but like-new.

lordanubis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lordanubis

I got the 9" Pyle tablet last time they had this sale. I plan to mainly use it to read stuff.
But free tip: Get a better tablet if you intend to play games on it. Mine can't play Plants vs Zombies 2 without some astounding framerate issues.

cpaden6072

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cpaden6072

Are the Pyle tablets fully supported by Google Play?

I purchased a generic "MID brand" tablet a year ago for $129 and it was pretty much a paperweight with 5 apps and a plastic screen...

I cant find any reviews on the Pyle PTBL10C Astro being sold here. The specs look good... But I want to be sure it would actually run apps like facebook, spotify, torque, netflix, pandora, ect.

Mainly looking for a budget first tablet for my dad. I dont want to drop $200+ on a device that he may potentially not use.

Anyone? Crickets....?

markelshark

quality posts: 3 Private Messages markelshark

Based on the the low resolutions of the laptops and tablets offered here I'm guessing consumers are demanding better displays and manufacturers are dumping off their low-res stock on woot/amazon.

callmemissouri

quality posts: 0 Private Messages callmemissouri
PapaMidnight wrote:Can you elaborate as to the problems with the keyboard connection? I bought my mom one of the 500T's some time ago, then got her a keyboard dock and it's been a solid connection ever since. For all intents and purposes, she uses it as a laptop.

I have a 700T myself and occasionally I will need to pop the tablet off the dock. I have heard horror stories about battery drains, but have not as of yet had that experience. Beyond that my real gripe with the keyboard is the same gripe I have with every laptop keyboard that has a stupid touch pad on it, where as you are typing your diatribe, it will move the cursor someplace unexpected on the screen and continue typing or lose focus on the edit box... but I have had that problem with each of the last 4 laptops I have owned which is due to the fact that I (as you are supposed to) rest my wrists on the area next to the touch pad.

I LOVE my 700T. It's the most powerful and portable laptop I have ever had and the performance and storage do not disappoint. I carry it everywhere I go pretty much and I can't imagine not having something like it ever again. This price is impressive. I'm tempted to buy one for my parents (mom mostly) so they can have something lightweight and practical for use in the living room.

But that's just my opinion. As I said, I have heard horror stories, but have not witnessed them so I'm not going to repeat hearsay.

BethC

quality posts: 2 Private Messages BethC
callmemissouri wrote:I have a 700T myself and occasionally I will need to pop the tablet off the dock. I have heard horror stories about battery drains, but have not as of yet had that experience. Beyond that my real gripe with the keyboard is the same gripe I have with every laptop keyboard that has a stupid touch pad on it, where as you are typing your diatribe, it will move the cursor someplace unexpected on the screen and continue typing or lose focus on the edit box... but I have had that problem with each of the last 4 laptops I have owned which is due to the fact that I (as you are supposed to) rest my wrists on the area next to the touch pad.

You can disable the touch pad, here: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/howtoguide/N0000137/9214/80750/

I don't have this tablet, I just googled it because I found out how to disable mine that way.

BethC

quality posts: 2 Private Messages BethC
PapaMidnight wrote:I bought my mom one of the 500T's some time ago, then got her a keyboard dock and it's been a solid connection ever since. For all intents and purposes, she uses it as a laptop.

What keyboard dock did you get for her and how much did it cost?

In other words, would the two cost more or less than the 700T?

oozz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages oozz

Do the 32GB Google Nexus, 1st Gen & 2nd Gen, come unlocked for data? Or, is it WiFi only?

cpaden6072

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cpaden6072

Same price for the Pyle on Amazon, but with free shipping and optional Square Trade accidental warranty. No tax for me on amazon either..

ripprsoul

quality posts: 21 Private Messages ripprsoul
oozz wrote:Do the 32GB Google Nexus, 1st Gen & 2nd Gen, come unlocked for data? Or, is it WiFi only?

These are the WiFi-only models. My dad picked up the 32GB model when it was on Woot a few weeks ago. Works great with the newest version of Android.

angvine

quality posts: 0 Private Messages angvine

What is Woot's responsibility or what responsibility do they take on reconditioned items if there are issues with the equipment?

manhandsha

quality posts: 34 Private Messages manhandsha

Staff

angvine wrote:What is Woot's responsibility or what responsibility do they take on reconditioned items if there are issues with the equipment?

The warranty info for any item is listed on the features tab. Sometimes there's a Woot warranty, sometimes it's manufacturer. We generally refer to the manufacturer, but you're certainly always welcome to email Woot Member Services for assistance. If you need to email support@woot.com, always be sure to include your order number and user name.

Have a question about your order or account? Click here to contact Woot Member Services.

kcmark

quality posts: 25 Private Messages kcmark

Anyone have any experience with the Galaxy Tab 3 10.1"? $279 seems high for a refurb of it given that I can find a 3rd Gen iPad locally on Craigslist for $300.

Looking for a full-size tablet for an older family member.

no1rockfan

quality posts: 2 Private Messages no1rockfan

Can the Samsung 500t or 700t run something like Photoshop Elements or is it limited to certain software?

mamoscott

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mamoscott
callmemissouri wrote:I have a 700T myself and occasionally I will need to pop the tablet off the dock. I have heard horror stories about battery drains, but have not as of yet had that experience. Beyond that my real gripe with the keyboard is the same gripe I have with every laptop keyboard that has a stupid touch pad on it, where as you are typing your diatribe, it will move the cursor someplace unexpected on the screen and continue typing or lose focus on the edit box... but I have had that problem with each of the last 4 laptops I have owned which is due to the fact that I (as you are supposed to) rest my wrists on the area next to the touch pad.

I LOVE my 700T. It's the most powerful and portable laptop I have ever had and the performance and storage do not disappoint. I carry it everywhere I go pretty much and I can't imagine not having something like it ever again. This price is impressive. I'm tempted to buy one for my parents (mom mostly) so they can have something lightweight and practical for use in the living room.

But that's just my opinion. As I said, I have heard horror stories, but have not witnessed them so I'm not going to repeat hearsay.

I am going to echo these sentiments. I took a chance on a refurb 700T from NewEgg a little while ago, and it has been fabulous. I read quite a bit about the keyboard dock connection issues in various reviews, but the connection in my unit has been pretty close to rock solid for me when attached.

I also own a Surface Pro, and I think the 700T provides a lot more general utility with the standardized laptop-style keyboard and touchpad (and integrated storage for the stylus). The battery life on the 700T is also leaps and bounds better than a (1st gen) Surface Pro (good job Samsung/boo Microsoft). I get 2-3 hours more per battery charge using the 700T compared to the Surface Pro. In fact, the difference is so startling that it's almost hard to believe that they both have nearly identical internals and specs.

If you are looking for a 2-in-1 convergence device on a budget, I think there is little out there that is better than the 700T. You could could go for a Surface Pro 2 or a Sony Vaio Duo or whatever, but you'll be paying more than double what this 700T is selling for right now on Woot.

As for your typing/touchpad issues, I installed TouchFreeze on my wife's laptop, and it has done wonders for her:

http://code.google.com/p/touchfreeze/downloads/list

If anyone has any questions about the 700T, feel free to ask, and I'll do my best to answer.

no1rockfan wrote:Can the Samsung 500t or 700t run something like Photoshop Elements or is it limited to certain software?

Either model can run it, because they both have full Windows 8 installed. However, the 500T only runs on the Intel Atom Processor (which is much less powerful than what is in the 700t), so your performance would most likely be significantly better on the 700T when running PS Elements or any other resource-intensive applications. The 700T also has a full 1080p display, double the storage, and double the ram, which makes a huge difference if your intention is to use it for photo editing.

spikedknight

quality posts: 5 Private Messages spikedknight

Hmm, my old A500 is giving me headaches, so tempting to jump on the ASUS TF700T.....

profile V 2.0

lovewin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lovewin

Would the 500T be good for some one who wants to do illustrations on the go?

I only plan to use programs like paint tool sai on it or photoshop.
And the occassional note taking / writing.

Nothing intensive like gaming and such. I heard the SPen is great. Any advice??

ren3of3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ren3of3

edit: just finally saw this in the box contents. XE700T1C-A02US

Can anyone provide the specific model number for the Samsung ATIV 7?
Apparently there are a couple variations and I can't tell which this is by looking it up on Samsung's site.

angvine

quality posts: 0 Private Messages angvine
manhandsha wrote:The warranty info for any item is listed on the features tab. Sometimes there's a Woot warranty, sometimes it's manufacturer. We generally refer to the manufacturer, but you're certainly always welcome to email Woot Member Services for assistance. If you need to email support@woot.com, always be sure to include your order number and user name.

You know i would love to do that, but 3 questions later and canned messages referring to being "slammed"during the holidays, and no answers tells me I'd be wasting my time. Thanks though!

traquy

quality posts: 51 Private Messages traquy
cpaden6072 wrote:

Mainly looking for a budget first tablet for my dad. I dont want to drop $200+ on a device that he may potentially not use.

Anyone? Crickets....?

We got my tech phobic mother in law a Kindle Fire HD for her first tablet. It was just so easy to use right out of the box with no need to even hook it up to a computer that we figured she couldn't screw it up. We were right, she's done great with it. I'm not sure she could have figured out a regular android tablet. She couldn't even really figure out the iPad, but she took to the Kindle right away.

bluemaple

quality posts: 76 Private Messages bluemaple
traquy wrote:We got my tech phobic mother in law a Kindle Fire HD for her first tablet. It was just so easy to use right out of the box with no need to even hook it up to a computer that we figured she couldn't screw it up. We were right, she's done great with it. I'm not sure she could have figured out a regular android tablet. She couldn't even really figure out the iPad, but she took to the Kindle right away.

@traquy, please elucidate on your mother's 'couldn't figure out' iPad experience. We are about to set our non-techie mother up with an iPad. I use Apple/iOS, Android, and Windows tablets. I believe any of them can successfully be learned by a newbie but lean strongly toward the iPad as easiest to pick up.

BTW, I am not aware of any mainstream tablets that need to be 'hooked up to a computer'.

meandsecoya

quality posts: 11 Private Messages meandsecoya

Can anyone tell me anything about the Asus ME172V-A1-GR 16GB? I'm looking to upgrade/replace the two polaroids I bought for my kids from woot last Christmas. One of those is still working fine, but the other died last week. I've seen some people complain about app compatibility. My kids use their tablets for games, mostly. I need something that is going to work for them and be fairly durable. They are not rough with their stuff by any means, but they're kids and the Polaroid that is no longer working was dropped a few times over the past year. Screen never cracked and it continued to work fine, but I do have to wonder if that contributed to the issue it has now of not charging anymore.

meandsecoya

These still haven't shipped yet and there's no way they'll get here in time for Christmas. I just put in a request to cancel the order. Will someone look into it so my request doesn't get lost like the last email I sent did (about a separate order where one of the packages was all beat up due to lousy packaging)?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 565 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

meandsecoya wrote:These still haven't shipped yet and there's no way they'll get here in time for Christmas. I just put in a request to cancel the order. Will someone look into it so my request doesn't get lost like the last email I sent did (about a separate order where one of the packages was all beat up due to lousy packaging)?

Looked at your tracking and it looks like they'll arrive in time for Christmas. You should have an email from CS. Be sure to check the spam and junk folders.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

meandsecoya

Thank you! Tracking hadn't updated so I didn't know they'd shipped.

gerrits

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gerrits

So I received my "Asus TF700t-B1-GR 10.1" 32GB Transformer Pad Infinity TABLET" today. It appears to be a TF300T MOBILE DOCK. What gives Woot? I've emailed CS but who knows when I'll actually get my tablet. Hopefully before xmas since it was an xmas gift.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 565 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

gerrits wrote:So I received my "Asus TF700t-B1-GR 10.1" 32GB Transformer Pad Infinity TABLET" today. It appears to be a TF300T MOBILE DOCK. What gives Woot? I've emailed CS but who knows when I'll actually get my tablet. Hopefully before xmas since it was an xmas gift.

Yikes. I'll see what I can find out at this end.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

jlhunter57

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jlhunter57

Just got the Nexus 7 2012 to give as a gift since my wife and I both have one. Does anyone else have a problem with the load of android? It came with Android Jelly Bean 4.1.1 with nothing else not even the Google apps like the play store. I was expecting the same nexus build similar to my others devices. It was rather embarrassing to give this as a gift as they are not able to even download apps just surf the net.

stars67

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stars67

Are we the only ones who bought this tablet at Christmas and have yet to use it for more than 24 hours? Asus TF600T-B1-GR VivoTab RT 10.1" 32GB Tablet with NVIDIA Tegra 3 & Super IPS+ Display & 22Wh Mobile Keyboard Dock for up to 16 Hours of Battery Life
#1 - who in the hell can figure out how to power on the device? I just want to understand, that little silver power button on the tablet, when I push it and it blinks its little orange light at me, what the hell does that mean? Does it mean, I'm sorry, I'm a piece of junk and I simply can't be bothered to turn on?
#2 - device constantly 'vibrates' to let us know the connection has been made, thanks for the 15th confirmation of my tablet being connected to my dock.
#3 - how do you get the device to let you use the keyboard vs. the tablet screen? Is there a secret handshake or password?
#4 - We've sent it back to ASUS once, they returned it, and guess what, we still can't get it to charge, hold a charge or turn on??? So, another 45 minutes spent on hold then organizing yet another trip back to the ASUS factory.
I've been a Woot'er for years and there has been the worst purchase. ever.

stars67

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stars67

Since WOOT is doing everything under the sun to make us happy with our purchase, I had to get back on here and give a huge thumbs up to the response we finally received from WOOT Customer service. I still can't suggest the purchase of this tablet

stars67 wrote:Are we the only ones who bought this tablet at Christmas and have yet to use it for more than 24 hours? Asus TF600T-B1-GR VivoTab RT 10.1" 32GB Tablet with NVIDIA Tegra 3 & Super IPS+ Display & 22Wh Mobile Keyboard Dock for up to 16 Hours of Battery Life
#1 - who in the hell can figure out how to power on the device? I just want to understand, that little silver power button on the tablet, when I push it and it blinks its little orange light at me, what the hell does that mean? Does it mean, I'm sorry, I'm a piece of junk and I simply can't be bothered to turn on?
#2 - device constantly 'vibrates' to let us know the connection has been made, thanks for the 15th confirmation of my tablet being connected to my dock.
#3 - how do you get the device to let you use the keyboard vs. the tablet screen? Is there a secret handshake or password?
#4 - We've sent it back to ASUS once, they returned it, and guess what, we still can't get it to charge, hold a charge or turn on??? So, another 45 minutes spent on hold then organizing yet another trip back to the ASUS factory.
I've been a Woot'er for years and there has been the worst purchase. ever.