Quality Posts

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3795 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Time to check out the product page

and

Some additional info and a video over at knife-depot.com

mariomario42

quality posts: 9 Private Messages mariomario42

Got these a few months ago! I actually paid $25. $15 is a steal for them.

All the knives are nice. Good weight to them, and still able to slice stuff thin after constant use.

Now if it only came with my roommate cleaning them properly...

spun4621

quality posts: 3 Private Messages spun4621

Just in case anyone was wondering about the stainless steel quality:

http://www.midwayusa.com/technicalnotes/application_pages/knife_steel_and_handle_material_chart.htm:

420 Stainless Steel:

A hard, strong blade steel. This stainless steel is commonly used in knife blades, and offers good corrosion resistance at a low cost. Decent edge holding capabilities and fairly easy to resharpen, this steel is a good balance of the most desirable traits for knife steel.

casey00001

quality posts: 14 Private Messages casey00001

"And if you order in the next five minutes you'll get to keep your doctor and your health care plan..."

cymbalmonkey

quality posts: 10 Private Messages cymbalmonkey

Also bought these at the more expensive price. I got them to replace a very old knife set that seemed dull to me, but I didn't realize how dull until I got these. Sharp new knives make a world of difference and these really reduced my prep time.

Like the other comment said, these are solid knives with a good heft. We're used to cutting with dull ones here at home though, so there's been a couple small knicks and some blood... so, you know.. just remember these are sharp.

The thing I don't like is the variety. The manual has a nice explanation of what does what but I really wish it came with one smaller knife instead of two big terrifying ones. The steak knives are nice though, but I really wish I had that smaller unserrated knife for finesse.

Either way, I'll definitely buy more Ginsu in the future. They're nice.

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com

breezyc

quality posts: 4 Private Messages breezyc

I just tried adding this to my cart & it looks as though I'm being charged $5 shipping, even though I just previously ordered the long scarves also being offered today. Thought one $5 charge covered shipping for everything bought in the same day.

Does anyone know if the $5 is removed once you click on "Place Your Order"?

cinderella1

quality posts: 5 Private Messages cinderella1

I have been wanting ginsu knives for a while. These are REALLY inexpensive, yet I still find myself on the fence. I wish it included a straight edge paring knife. Should I go for it anyway? (My current knives are crappola and old).

You crack me up.
Of course I crack me up on a regular basis.

cinderella1

quality posts: 5 Private Messages cinderella1

Also, I now can not get that song chopping broccoli out of my head.
thanks for that. ( :

You crack me up.
Of course I crack me up on a regular basis.

conman77

quality posts: 3 Private Messages conman77

These knives will be sharp until they lose their edge and need to be honed. Where you slide the blade down the side of a steel rod. That is honing an edge. These knives are all serrated (except the large santuko) so they will be impossible to hone and get your edge back.

I went to Bed Bath & Beyond and found a moderately priced knife set ($75 don't forget your 20% off coupon) with a honing steel. The Guy Fieri knives on here are waay better than these.

Care for real knives:
Hone the edge 3 times a side before you do any knife work and after you clean it. Much better than the above head samarai impressions is to put the steel point down on a cutting board then slide the knife down the steel. Like you are slicing an edge off of it.

Take care of your knifes. Don't set them in your steel sink and dink the points. Wash them when you are done and put them back in the block (magnet). Be mindful of the edge and what you are cutting on. Use Wood/Bamboo/Pastic. Keeps the edge longer.

My wife was/is amazed how long our knives have stayed sharp due to this care

Alton Brown covers this in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MV5ydwB9T4Y

chazzfoy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages chazzfoy

Bought these knives a month or so ago & I loved them so much I bought another set two weeks ago. They are much better then my $100 set of knives.

erskinelake

quality posts: 1 Private Messages erskinelake

They changed that a while ago, it's $5 for every cart load. Previously each item you had to check out after, so after 1 purchase you had 24 hrs of free shipping. Now you can add other things to you cart at one time and then pay the $5 shipping. Two separate check out's = $10 I would contact them.

breezyc wrote:Thanks!

Although after placing the order, even the e-mail confirmation I received is still showing the $5 shipping charge.

Guess I have to wait to see what my credit card is charged. One would think Woot would show the shipping discount somewhere.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 604 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

breezyc wrote:I just tried adding this to my cart & it looks as though I'm being charged $5 shipping, even though I just previously ordered the long scarves also being offered today. Thought one $5 charge covered shipping for everything bought in the same day.

We now have a shopping cart check out system that let’s you stuff your cart full of Woot goodness and ship it all for $5. Click here to learn more about the Woot shopping cart.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

FlamingoNut

quality posts: 12 Private Messages FlamingoNut

Although there seems to be very little Ginsu bashing going on here, I feel compelled to give my 2¢.

I never had problems or gripes with my previous Ginsu steak knives. I have seen plenty of "cheap Chinese crap" Miley Cyrusing (hahahaha Woot, nice substitution for the word bi-tc-hi-ng) & moaning about Ginsu's in the past. On the recommendation of a friend, I went and purchased a more expensive, set of steak knives (J.A. Henckels International), from the mothership, in 2009. Granted, they were only $40, but Henckels is supposed to be a good name, although I found it really depends on which division. Whatever.
Worst $40 ever spent. Those knives SUCK. 5/8 had bent tips relatively soon after I began using. 1 had the tip break off! I inquired with Henckels & they said it was strange & to send the knives in. I don't believe it was worth the aggravation. So, after 4 years, I'm looking for another set of steak knives, and this one is looking mighty tempting...

stephas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stephas
breezyc wrote:I just tried adding this to my cart & it looks as though I'm being charged $5 shipping, even though I just previously ordered the long scarves also being offered today. Thought one $5 charge covered shipping for everything bought in the same day.

It has not been $5/day for quite awhile. It is $5 per order - so you can add several items to your cart and then checkout and get all the shipping for $5.

lythix1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lythix1
conman77 wrote:These knives will be sharp until they lose their edge and need to be honed. Where you slide the blade down the side of a steel rod. That is honing an edge. These knives are all serrated (except the large santuko) so they will be impossible to hone and get your edge back.

I went to Bed Bath & Beyond and found a moderately priced knife set ($75 don't forget your 20% off coupon) with a honing steel. The Guy Fieri knives on here are waay better than these.

Care for real knives:
Hone the edge 3 times a side before you do any knife work and after you clean it. Much better than the above head samarai impressions is to put the steel point down on a cutting board then slide the knife down the steel. Like you are slicing an edge off of it.

Take care of your knifes. Don't set them in your steel sink and dink the points. Wash them when you are done and put them back in the block (magnet). Be mindful of the edge and what you are cutting on. Use Wood/Bamboo/Pastic. Keeps the edge longer.

My wife was/is amazed how long our knives have stayed sharp due to this care

Alton Brown covers this in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MV5ydwB9T4Y

Or just buy a Worksharp for $70 and you can sharpen these knives quite well. Worksharps can sharpen serrated edge's easily.

http://www.amazon.com/Work-Sharp-WSKTS-Knife-Sharpener/dp/B003IT5F14/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1383238707&sr=1-2&keywords=work+sharp+tool+sharpener

earnestlizard

quality posts: 0 Private Messages earnestlizard

You get charged $5.00 for every transaction, regardless of how many transactions you have in one day.

ocv808

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ocv808

It has changed to $5 per order now =/. You could possibly cancel your scarves and re-order with knives in your cart.

dreamzperpetual

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dreamzperpetual

These are fine and functional knives. However, picking up a set of non-serrated knives will serve you better in the long run.

While I wouldn't generally recommend Chef-brand items, the Guy Fieri knives, when bought on Woot, are a really good deal for solid cookware. And if treated right they will last you longer than these and be easier to use.

For the price, these Ginsus are nice though.

Danny317

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Danny317
lythix1 wrote:Or just buy a Worksharp for $70 and you can sharpen these knives quite well. Worksharps can sharpen serrated edge's easily.

http://www.amazon.com/Work-Sharp-WSKTS-Knife-Sharpener/dp/B003IT5F14/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1383238707&sr=1-2&keywords=work+sharp+tool+sharpener

It's not too hard to sharpen serrated knives by hand either...just a bit more time consuming...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjzcMrlaP58

breezyc

quality posts: 4 Private Messages breezyc

Thanks. Guess I misunderstood the shopping cart concept - that I had to put everything into the one cart at the same time.

Did contact Woot, & even though just a couple of minutes transpired between my buying the scarves & buying the knives, no refund for the extra $5 I incurred will be forthcoming. Oh well.

(Although frankly, considering the hundreds of dollars I've spent here one would think they would have taken this first blooper into consideration & given me my crummy $5 back - lol!)

erskinelake wrote:They changed that a while ago, it's $5 for every cart load. Previously each item you had to check out after, so after 1 purchase you had 24 hrs of free shipping. Now you can add other things to you cart at one time and then pay the $5 shipping. Two separate check out's = $10 I would contact them.

Tylerm88

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Tylerm88

Ordered these because I needed a new knife set, the old one was way past its prime. These knives have a strong solid build, a nice weight/balance, a comfortable grip and are seriously SHARP!!! I'm really glad I bought them. Plus with Thanksgiving around the corner, they'll make short work of that turkey for sure haha.

figgiedan

quality posts: 2 Private Messages figgiedan

Just a little update - I bought these and they are great. If they come up again, buy them and have fun cutting things into little pieces for your din din.