Solid reviews (4.1 out of 5.0) over at bestbuy.com

lichme

quality posts: 2905 Private Messages lichme

Item: Logitech Harmony Touch Universal Remote
Price: $119.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Condition: Refurbished

Search Amazon Search Google

Previous Similar Sales (May not be exact model)
9/24/2013 - $129.99 (Woot-off) - 4 comment(s)
8/19/2013 - $129.99 - 36 comment(s)

lichme

quality posts: 2905 Private Messages lichme

NewEgg gave this 3 eggs
BestBuy has it at 4.1 stars
Amazon has it at 3.5 stars
Check out this video and overview from cnet.com

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3528 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Let's watch a review

marvod

quality posts: 0 Private Messages marvod

If your a past Harmony customer stay away you will hate it. Plus they are refurbed and mine broke within 3 weeks. I'm still waiting for my refund 20 days later.

If you do buy, good luck!!

editorkid

quality posts: 92 Private Messages editorkid

My Harmony 800 was a stinking pile of dog crap that wouldn't even sit in the charging cradle and needed badly designed, slow, proprietary software to program the smallest feature. There were times I had to e-mail Logitech customer support and ask their permission to use a button for a feature they hadn't preprogrammed. (And their Squeezeboxes are just as badly designed and implemented.) Tip for today: Don't buy Logitech's garbage.

rumba9

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rumba9

I bought 2 a couple of months ago on MOOFI (both refurbs). They look and work like brand new. I changed from a Harmony One and like this one much better. I read where a lot of people complained about the DVD/DVR transport buttons are hard to reach, this is true, but you never use them. That is what the gesture screen is for. All of the buttons are changeable, plus each can be programed for 2 different functions, short touch and long touch. This is a great price for a great remote.

loofa

quality posts: 1 Private Messages loofa
editorkid wrote:My Harmony 800 was a stinking pile of dog crap that wouldn't even sit in the charging cradle and needed badly designed, slow, proprietary software to program the smallest feature. There were times I had to e-mail Logitech customer support and ask their permission to use a button for a feature they hadn't preprogrammed. (And their Squeezeboxes are just as badly designed and implemented.) Tip for today: Don't buy Logitech's garbage.

The fact is that the Squeezebox line of products are now defunct (thanks to Logitech). They were, and however remain, fantastic devices.

starmanbackwards

quality posts: 6 Private Messages starmanbackwards
marvod wrote:If your a past Harmony customer stay away you will hate it. Plus they are refurbed and mine broke within 3 weeks. I'm still waiting for my refund 20 days later.

My Harmony touch came DOA....im STILL working on gettting a refund.

[MOD: I do not see this purchase on your account. If you purchased on another account, please email support@woot.com for assistance. Include your Woot username and order number for faster service.]

araczynski

quality posts: 2 Private Messages araczynski

Whatever department of high school interns is engineering harmony remotes, they should all be fired. The most kludgy, amateurish, beta, POS hardware Logitech ever slapped their logo on.

ChronoMATT

quality posts: 6 Private Messages ChronoMATT

I could never figure out the same old cranks that repeat the same old comments about this remote. I replaced my, according to most of these same guys, a "holy grail" Harmony One that developed a dead screen with a refurbed Touch bought here a couple months ago and couldn't be happier.

Transferring my One preferences to The Touch was a breeze and given some time -- yes, a little time, folks -- reorienting myself to the new button layout proved this remote very intuitive and easy to use. Despite some control buttons being away from the center of the unit and initially seemingly out of reach, they are actually redundant. This unit is called The Touch for a reason, you old cranks and malcontents. The touch screen allows these functions to be made as gestures quickly and easily as you watch a program from any source. Also, The Touch is smaller than The One and fits in the hand nicer.

My only complaint: The Touch's buttons and screen does not illuminate upon tilting or picking up as with The One. Only touching the screen or pushing a button prompts lighting.

If you have owned a Harmony in the past and need a replacement or are buying into a more sophisticated universal remote for the first time, I recommend its consideration, especially at this price point. Giving it a little working time without a snap judgement will find this unit to be excellent.

ChronoMATT

quality posts: 6 Private Messages ChronoMATT

Would like to add it does not have a replaceable battery which is a deficit to some.

narquespamley

quality posts: 24 Private Messages narquespamley

I love my 880, but only after having hacked the charging cradle with a bit of solder. There's some basic engineering which apparently every two-bit Chinese manufacturer of telephone handsets has figured out but Logitech hasn't. The Touch has some good and some bad features. It supports an adequate number of devices and activities, as well as macros. Macros are absolutely essential. One example is for a light controller which requires one command to select a light and another to turn it on. I like having one button to turn on the media center lights. I also use macros for a function which sends the currently selected zone 1 source in an activity to zone 2. This requires a selection command and a zone 2 on command. Things I don't like about the touch are mostly user interface - commonly used buttons on top and too much dependence on the touch screen. Also not crazy about the vertical charging, though it's better than not charging at all. I'll keep my 880.

entraine

quality posts: 2 Private Messages entraine

Having done some research, and being in the market for a remote like this, I'm out.

The number pad is on the touch screen. No thanks.

Some of the functions you use routinely while watching TV/DVR are on the touch screen. No thanks.

Maybe it's just me, but given the option of having a real button with actual tactile feedback or a touch screen virtual button that forces me to look at the device to make sure I hit the right spot; I'm taking the real button.

aaltieri

quality posts: 22 Private Messages aaltieri
marvod wrote:If your a past Harmony customer stay away you will hate it. Plus they are refurbed and mine broke within 3 weeks. I'm still waiting for my refund 20 days later.

I would completely agree with this. I have a 650 that works great, aside from an issue with the battery terminal that I'm too lazy to fix. I recently tried to replace it and found two things that greatly disturbed me:

I tried to replace it with the closest to the 650 I could find. I forget the model. the build quality wasn't anywhere near the quality of the older remotes. It felt very cheap in my hands, the buttons got stuck very easily.

When I got the old 650, I downloaded an application to my Mac, told it what I needed, and it downloaded the codes. With the replacement I tried, I had to go to the website, and build a profile. Why do I need to give them things like my address to get the remote code for a TV? And when I did try to download codes, it took several attempts as maybe a third of the time I got a communication error of some kind.

Honestly, I have always loved Logitech. I have several keyboards, mice, and a trackball from Logitech. But I won't touch another remote from them.

If it works for you, great! But know what you're getting into.

--mop

lroller

quality posts: 15 Private Messages lroller
loofa wrote:The fact is that the Squeezebox line of products are now defunct (thanks to Logitech). They were, and however remain, fantastic devices.

Agree completely. Love my multiple SqueezeBoxs. Even have the UE replacement.

buzzwang

quality posts: 10 Private Messages buzzwang

I already don't use the Harmony I have now. Universal remotes all have the same issue: I end up having to pull out the real remote anyway for some button/function/thing that isn't on the universal. I like the idea, honest, but I inevitably need the real remote on a weekly basis, so I gave up on the universal idea.

Lister22

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Lister22

Harmony remotes are the best. I just bought this a few weeks ago to replace an old Harmony360 that was dying. They don't make that model any more and this one has the four colored xbox buttons at the bottom so it was the next logical choice.

I personally haven't really had an issue with the transport buttons at the top. They are easy enough to reach, just in a different place than you would normally expect. That said, the touch screen gestures work just as well. I use both about equally.

This remote has a non-removable, rechargeable battery that lasts a few days at best with moderate use, but it has a handy charging cradle which is useful for not losing you remote in the couch cushions...so long as you use it.

elangomatt

quality posts: 11 Private Messages elangomatt

I have been using Harmony remotes since 2007 now (purchased a refurb 880 from woot for my 3rd woot purchase) and I don't want to go back to using anything else. The IR blaster broke on my 880 after a few years so I upgraded to the Harmony One that I'm using now. I expect that I'll upgrade to the Touch if my One ever breaks. I'm not thrilled with the idea of so many functions being moved to a touchscreen but I think it is the natural progression. I've never configured a Harmony Touch, but I've never had trouble with the older remote configuration tools at all.

Accelerator

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Accelerator
editorkid wrote:My Harmony 800 was a stinking pile of dog crap that wouldn't even sit in the charging cradle and needed badly designed, slow, proprietary software to program the smallest feature. There were times I had to e-mail Logitech customer support and ask their permission to use a button for a feature they hadn't preprogrammed. (And their Squeezeboxes are just as badly designed and implemented.) Tip for today: Don't buy Logitech's garbage.

I had the same cradle docking problem with my Logitech Harmony remote. It would NOT dock in the charger. The only way to get it to recharge was to gently set it in the charger and then lightly tap it until the charger light would illuminate. Even then it would usually spontaneously disconnect and I would return to retrieve the remote for use only to find it was dead. After a few times of that and absolutely no help from Logitech, I wrapped it up and stuck it in the drawer of electronics that are crap. It's still there and still pisses me off to think about it!

editorkid

quality posts: 92 Private Messages editorkid
lroller wrote:Agree completely. Love my multiple SqueezeBoxs. Even have the UE replacement.

The bloatware server crashes frequently. Alarms I never set go off at full volume with that rancid little guitar and bass riff at all hours of day and night. My SB Radio and Duet "sync" is anywhere from half a second to five or more seconds apart and the stuttering as they try to catch up with each other defeats the purpose of listening to music. If I have music on in the background for a few hours while I'm home, the Duet just dies and has to be reset by unplugging and plugging it back in, sometimes two or three times. The battery in one of my controllers lasts for minutes, dying so quickly that the battery icon looks animated. The other controller just randomly dies every so often, requiring a restart. There are times the Radio falls off my Wi-Fi network even though the router is eight feet away and line-of-sight (no interfering walls). I used to have two Radios, but one just flat-out died not long after the warranty expired. Garbage, garbage, garbage. Glad yours works. I'm treating myself to Sonos for Christmas, which I should've done to begin with.

FenStar

quality posts: 16 Private Messages FenStar

I usually like logitech. (My mouse, keyboard, webcam, joystick, and gamepad are all logitech.) But I'm not a big fan of their remotes. (Note: I don't have this one) If I want a touch screen remote I can just use my phone or tablet (and for the prices harmony remotes go for you can buy a $90 cheapo tablet, $160 mid range tablet, or $300 s-pen tablet) and have more features. In the end I use a keyboard and the remotes that come with my products, because I prefer hard buttons and good battery life.

Still single, can't imagine why.

caltheon

quality posts: 1 Private Messages caltheon

Do any of these Harmony remotes support bluetooth devices? I still use my PS3 as my DVD-BLURAY player and since none of the ones i've looked at support it, I'd be stuck with two remotes still, which is not worth paying $100 for a "Universal" remote that isn't even close to be universal.

Come to think of it, why aren't more electronics using non line of sight based communication. It's nice not having to point the remote at the device, or if a kid decides to stand between you and the dvd player while your working the menus.

railieca

quality posts: 1 Private Messages railieca
buzzwang wrote:I already don't use the Harmony I have now. Universal remotes all have the same issue: I end up having to pull out the real remote anyway for some button/function/thing that isn't on the universal. I like the idea, honest, but I inevitably need the real remote on a weekly basis, so I gave up on the universal idea.

I have to think you simply need to spend a few minutes to personalize your harmony. Unlike an average "universal" remote, these things are infinitely customizable, from button press length to macros. If there is a function that isn't available via software which would be exceedingly rare, you can learn it generically from the original remote.

The fact that you can assign different commands to multiple screen pages or different modes that are device independent depending on remote model, I can't imagine a situation that would ever arise with a well set up harmony that would necessitate the original remote.

Unless maybe you were accessing the engineering screen of your tv or something, since those are usually a pain to navigate no matter what you are using... But how often does one ever need to access factory functions after initial setup?

nafasskata

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nafasskata

I love Harmony remotes. I don't have any that are rechargeable and I don't really see the point. The batteries last pretty long, and docking cradles are a pain to deal with. If you want to go the rechargeable route then use some AA or AAA eneloops. I have the 600 x 2 (Sams club) and 2 x 650- they all work great.

mcgary911

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mcgary911

Does this one support an RF extender? If so, how many?

I have a Harmony 1000, which is a touchscreen, and a 7xx model which is not. I really like both of them.

Non replaceable battery is a concern. My smaller one had a battery which swelled up and was replaced under warranty. That seemed. To be a common issue. I just had to change the battery in my1000 after about 5 years. I'd hate to have to junk a remote just because of a battery. It's a wearable part and should be replaceable without resorting to a hack (saw).

terrencegf

quality posts: 0 Private Messages terrencegf
caltheon wrote:Do any of these Harmony remotes support bluetooth devices? I still use my PS3 as my DVD-BLURAY player and since none of the ones i've looked at support it, I'd be stuck with two remotes still, which is not worth paying $100 for a "Universal" remote that isn't even close to be universal.

For my PS3, I use the Logitech Harmony Adapter for PlayStation 3. It takes the IR signal from the Logitech remote and transmits a bluetooth signal to the PS3. It works okay. I find there is sometimes a delay between a button press on the remote and the on-screen action. Overall, I'm happy with it since it allows for one-button on/off of all my devices. But it is expensive ($40-$50).

chris89c

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chris89c
buzzwang wrote:I already don't use the Harmony I have now. Universal remotes all have the same issue: I end up having to pull out the real remote anyway for some button/function/thing that isn't on the universal. I like the idea, honest, but I inevitably need the real remote on a weekly basis, so I gave up on the universal idea.

you did not take the time to set it up right. I have been using Harmony remotes for many years and have not ever used my directv remote or my tv remote. I wore out one harmony remote and my dog chewed another. I have used my receiver remote but only for setup because I did not take the time to setup obscure buttons that would hardly be used. I now use a Harmony One. You just set it and forget it.

narquespamley

quality posts: 24 Private Messages narquespamley
Accelerator wrote:I had the same cradle docking problem with my Logitech Harmony remote. It would NOT dock in the charger. The only way to get it to recharge was to gently set it in the charger and then lightly tap it until the charger light would illuminate. Even then it would usually spontaneously disconnect and I would return to retrieve the remote for use only to find it was dead. After a few times of that and absolutely no help from Logitech, I wrapped it up and stuck it in the drawer of electronics that are crap. It's still there and still pisses me off to think about it!

The way I resolved this was with a soldering iron and a little bit of solder. I lightly tinned the contacts on the bottom of the remote and that seemed to compensate for the obvious dimensional problem which prevented them from fully seating on the charger contacts.

bakerzdosen

quality posts: 13 Private Messages bakerzdosen

I have two Harmony One remotes.

Both have cracked screens and are now barely legible (about 20% of the screen).

I love the idea and usage of the Harmony remotes, but when they can't handle a simple 2 foot drop to the ground (or less in case of the first one) I'm really skeptical about any of their remotes that depend on a touchscreen. (Searching the web, I'm not even close to the only one with this problem)

Actually, I would have been fine with it if there was a way to replace the screen, but alas, the part isn't available.

So, I'll wait to see how the Touch holds up over time before committing to one.

starmanbackwards

quality posts: 6 Private Messages starmanbackwards
conanthelibrarian wrote:Time to check out the product page

and

Solid reviews (4.1 out of 5.0) over at bestbuy.com

is that on brand new remotes or refurbed like this one?

donatom3

quality posts: 3 Private Messages donatom3
mcgary911 wrote:Does this one support an RF extender? If so, how many?

I have a Harmony 1000, which is a touchscreen, and a 7xx model which is not. I really like both of them.

Non replaceable battery is a concern. My smaller one had a battery which swelled up and was replaced under warranty. That seemed. To be a common issue. I just had to change the battery in my1000 after about 5 years. I'd hate to have to junk a remote just because of a battery. It's a wearable part and should be replaceable without resorting to a hack (saw).

You can buy the ultimate hub and give it'll act as an rf blaster and bluetooth connection for you ps3 and other bluetooth controlled devices.
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/harmony-ultimate-hub?crid=60

Just found this support page confirming how to set it up with the ultimate hub or smart control.

http://logitech-en-emea.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44485#upgrade

I would buy the smart control as it's about $25 more but you get another remote with physical buttons, plus it'll work with your Android or iOS device as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-915-000194-Harmony-Control-Smartphone/dp/B00BQ5RYI4/ref=cm_cd_al_qh_dp_t