Quality Posts

lichme

quality posts: 2269 Private Messages lichme

Item: Samsung Blu-ray Player with Apps +%26 Wi-Fi
Price: $49.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Condition: Factory Reconditioned

Search Amazon Search Google

Previous Similar Sales (May not be exact model)
9/24/2013 - $49.99 (Woot-off) - 23 comment(s)
5/5/2013 - $49.99 - 18 comment(s)

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 2548 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Some additional info and solid reviews (4.2 out of 5.0) over at samsung.com

conanthelibrarian

TONS of solid reviews (4.1 out of 5.0) over at bestbuy.com

conanthelibrarian

Solid reviews (4.1 out of 5.0) over at walmart.com

dostone

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dostone

Why, oh why, couldn't they have included a wired network port?

maisie

quality posts: 3 Private Messages maisie

Many comments at amazon about problems streaming netflix.

haywardk

quality posts: 2 Private Messages haywardk
dostone wrote:Why, oh why, couldn't they have included a wired network port?

Usually question would be the other way around wired no where near TV why no WiFi? What do you need a wired connection so much for?

tp222

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tp222

From an amazon review...

"WiFi
You cannot connect this to a wireless network that has WEP/ WPA/ WPA2 security. It can only connect to WPS. I have an older router that works perfectly fine for my needs, but now I have to change the security (basically remove security and use MAC filtering)."

Is this true?

shadetreescouser

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shadetreescouser

Wi Fi drops in and out causing a restart...it usually happens at the most important part of the Movie after lulling you into a false sense of complacency.

nrnoble

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nrnoble

The images of that back side do not show a power connection. Where is the power connection?

codyormoe

quality posts: 2 Private Messages codyormoe

Can this stream from my networks dnla server? I have an Asus RT-N66U with a 2TB drive connected to it.

I've been searching for something that can stream right from the network drive without having to have an app running on a pc.

bsouthard

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bsouthard
nrnoble wrote:The images of that back side do not show a power connection. Where is the power connection?

The cord has been snipped off in the image. It's near the top-left of the back side.

bluemaple

quality posts: 64 Private Messages bluemaple

haywardk wrote:Usually question would be the other way around wired no where near TV why no WiFi? What do you need a wired connection so much for?

@haywardk: Reliability & wireless network congestion reduction. Most folks have no need to walk around the home with their DVD player so wired makes good sense if you can do it.

If you have a basement or attic near your home theater setup it is not that hard to run an Ethernet cable.

bluemaple

If you haven't seen this player in person, it is positively diminutive. Not much bigger than an fat/elongated VHS tape (OK, that might be exaggerating, but only a bit). So if the place where you want to locate it is tight on space...

nrarmen

quality posts: 6 Private Messages nrarmen

I've owned one of these for a few months now. My only complaint is that it's slow when quitting out of Netflix, which is annoying if you want to do something else (like switch to Pandora). Otherwise, streaming Netflix and Pandora has been flawless and I would recommend buying one if it looks like it fits your needs.

5h1th34d

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 5h1th34d
tp222 wrote: (basically remove security and use MAC filtering).

Reply to his comment and tell him MAC filtering is zero security (a packet sniffer sees the MAC address in all the packets).

DarrellG13

quality posts: 1 Private Messages DarrellG13
tp222 wrote:From an amazon review...

"WiFi
You cannot connect this to a wireless network that has WEP/ WPA/ WPA2 security. It can only connect to WPS. I have an older router that works perfectly fine for my needs, but now I have to change the security (basically remove security and use MAC filtering)."

Is this true?

Not according to the manual:

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201209/20120914103319372/02273A-BD-E5400-ZA-ENG-BM-0914.pdf

The player supports only the following wireless security key protocols:
- WEP (OPEN/SHARED), WPA-PSK (TKIP/AES), WPA2-PSK (TKIP/AES)

brotherman38

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brotherman38

Thanks, I was just about to order one, until i saw your comment!

Merck01

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Merck01

Does it have a remote?

bluemaple

Merck01 wrote:Does it have a remote?

@Merck01, If you believe the specs tab, yes:
In the box:
Samsung BD-E5400 Blu-ray Player with Built-in Wi-Fi
Remote Control

But woot should have realized by now that wooters want to see a pic of the remote. You could look at the one shown in the user manual linked above, but there's no guarantee that's the included remote for a refurb until woot confirms it is...

crapface

quality posts: 3 Private Messages crapface

What about Amazon Prime Instant Video?

mdlwoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mdlwoot

I have one of these; bought it new at Walmart.

It works with WEP security. The router I initiaially paired it with was 100mps, and there were definitely buffering and connection issues with that one--even though the player sits in the room directly above the router.
The more modern, 300mps unit that I'm using now connects much more quickly and there are no more buffering issues.
No, there is no Amazon app, just the 4 or 5 listed.

Honestly, it's not a bad player, but if you're not going to have it within about 20' of where your router is...you could have issues. I like mine, though. And I'd get another one.

chrisjtom

quality posts: 2 Private Messages chrisjtom

Is there an Android app for it to control by phone?

toekonda

quality posts: 1 Private Messages toekonda

The Netflix on this device is the most unresponsive I've ever dealt with. I frequently have had to unplug the device just to get out of Netflix being slow/locked up. Roku is at the top for Netflix, and this is at the bottom. Plays discs well though.

ikslakspm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ikslakspm

No audio outs of any type on the back? So if I want to listen to Pandora, I have to turn my TV on? Rilly Samsung?

raydiaz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages raydiaz

Good player for the money. Inconsistent performance when streaming Netflix...lots of buffering. Had to purchase. Roku device for streaming...best investment

rchenoweth

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rchenoweth

I own this as well as 2 Roku's and 2 Wii's. This player is at the bottom of the list as far as performance goes compared to the Roku and Wii. It's not the players fault persay, but the Samsung software. You'll achieve new levels of frustration as you attempt to type in a search or find and add apps. It has taken me over 15 minutes at times. We are replacing this unit with another Roku player. Also, pity that Samsung changed their iPhone app for this device. At least then you could use the touchpad to navigate. (But they took that away in the latest update.) Now, like I said before, you just have to wait as you press the arrow button 45 times to move from "a" to "n" on the keyboard... one.........click.......at.........a........time.

cirestan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cirestan

We've had signal drop out issues from the one we bought through Woot last year.
It's annoying.
It will drop out 2-3 times, sometimes it'll freeze up and you have to unplug it to fix it.
We thought it may have been a cable issue, switched those out.
Thought it could have been a router issue, switched that out.
Just picked up a Phillips BluRay player from Woot yesterday. For $40 it's worth the problem solving.

scyber

quality posts: 3 Private Messages scyber

Was just about to buy but no Ethernet = no sale.

efiguero

quality posts: 3 Private Messages efiguero

I bought one of these and have not had any issues, liked it so much I bought another when it came back on. I'm assuming it's the same as it looks identical to the ones I bought off woot however they were $39.99 before. I use netflix with my Uverse internet and have no issues, no issues with blurays, oh and Pandora. I may buy another to give my parents.

mcawsm

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mcawsm

Better than a Roku?

warren6609

quality posts: 0 Private Messages warren6609

I bought one of these units several months ago. while it is not the answer to all the questions of the universe, it does seem to perform its function! no complaints at all!