conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3789 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Lot's of solid reviews (4.0 out of 5.0) over at amazon

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3789 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

HUGE fans (5 out of 5 stars) over at qvc.com

lichme

quality posts: 3107 Private Messages lichme

Wayfair has a lot of good things to say (or at least people who bought this from there)

theco2

quality posts: 84 Private Messages theco2

Can I touch your rusty kettle?

manhandsha

quality posts: 39 Private Messages manhandsha

Staff

theco2 wrote:Can I touch your rusty kettle?

AHHH! Salad Fingers!! Soo creeeeepy...

Have a question about your order or account? Click here to contact Woot Member Services.

Craig234

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Craig234

Why didn't my message post?

I'll repeat.

Are there any tea kettles that are actually easy to clean?

As in I need to scrub the inside and need easy access?

ceagee

quality posts: 66 Private Messages ceagee

What tune does it whistle ?

theco2

manhandsha wrote:AHHH! Salad Fingers!! Soo creeeeepy...

Creepy, but ingenious.

Jessdgr8

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jessdgr8

It has many complaints on Amazon about it having a non-existant whistle and awkward handle placement.

jonryan18

quality posts: 4 Private Messages jonryan18

This is my first Woot gripe. I bought the stainless kettle 2 weeks ago on Woot. Would have preferred the red but it wasn't available. Today you have red available for $10 less! argh!

deerdoc2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deerdoc2
jonryan18 wrote:This is my first Woot gripe. I bought the stainless kettle 2 weeks ago on Woot. Would have preferred the red but it wasn't available. Today you have red available for $10 less! argh!

That's frustrating.
What do you think of the kettle?

audeojude

quality posts: 1 Private Messages audeojude

So I recognized this kettle as one I currently have and just out of curiosity went to amazon to see reviews there. I decided to leave one of my own on there but also thought it would be valuable here for those purchasing today. Here is what I posted there.

So I've read some of the reviews on here good and bad. My experience has been really positive though. I got this for free from a store that someone had returned it to. It had been burned and the store policy was that they couldn't sell returned kitchen stuff and someone had mistakenly put it back on the shelf. I really liked the heavy weight of the stainless and the design and after working up through the ranks trying to convince someone to sell it to me for a slight discount got to the manager who told me the policy of no sell and she didn't know why it was on the shelf.. At this point I was alarmed as I wanted it and she wasn't going to sell. After a plea or two she firmly told me that she wasn't allowed to sell it but if it disappeared out of her sight quickly all would be good. I didn't argue any more. When we got it home I just used a aggressive scotch bright pad to clean it to a new appearance.

We have used this kettle now for about 3 years. I have overheated it due to forgetting to put the whistle down once, it overheated to the point that the plastic spacers between the handle and the body started to melt. It did not deform the stainless body, handle, or whistle at all and a quick scrub with a scotch brite pad cleaned up the burn marks inside and out till it looked like new. As for the handle I simply tightened the screws to snug it back down to the base on the now slightly thinner by reason of melting plastic spacers. That was at least a year and a half ago. Still going strong. I have overfilled it hundreds of times and had water bubble through the whistle and it still mostly whistles as long as water isn't currently flowing through it. I will admit that it doesn't seem to be as loud nowadays as it used to but it still works.

We live on a boat in a salt water environment and I have never seen the first sign of rust on ours like some others have reported. It has been used with water from our well at our house that is treated with a water softener and filter and with municiple water at the dock where our boat is. We filter that water before use for drinking or cooking also. At the house with a reverse osmosis filter there is never any build up of residue over time. At the dock on the boat with municiple water filtered through a seagull filter we do get a bit of residue build up after 3 or 4 months of use, still we have seen no rust either internal or external.

I have used it on both electric and gas stove tops and it works well. With gas the handle can get hot if you have a huge burner and turn it on high. Otherwise we can use it bare handed. Like others have said, if you have an issue with the handle getting to hot to hold just turn the gas burner down a little bit till it is still cool after boiling your water.

So far out of 5 or 6 different brands of kettles this has been the most durable I have ever owned. We use it on average 3 times a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. So far that means that we have boiled about 3285 kettles of water in it since we bought ummm.. aquired it. I am not sure if they still build them like the one I have here but the pictures look identical to ours. Ours is stamped (18/10 Stainless, 2QT/1.9LTR, Kitchen Aid, C Q06, Whistling kettle) on the bottom.

audeojude

quality posts: 1 Private Messages audeojude
Craig234 wrote:Why didn't my message post?

I'll repeat.

umm.. i have owned many kettles and not a single one was ever easy to clean on the inside. aggressive scotchbright pad seems to work best for me. good luck on getting your hand in and scrubbing just takes patience.

I you use distled water or water filtered with a reverse osmosis under sink filter you will almost never need to clean the inside of your kettle. We can go over a year between cleanings and it still be bright shiny clean on the inside. Actually the reverse osmosis system works better than the distilled water from walmart as far as deposits on the inside of the kettle go, maybe a year and half vs a year before you get a haze inside.

orangejungle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages orangejungle

I'll repeat.

Just get some P.B.W. (Powder Brewery Wash) ... can get at your local beer homebrew store, or if you don't have one ... online at like morebeer.com or northernbrewer.com.

Just soak a Tbsp in hot water over night, and pour out anything that's not supposed to be there.

Accelerator

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Accelerator

I'll repeat.

Easy restaurant trick for cleaning caraffe: Use coarse table salt and ice cubes. The abrasive action of the salt with the mass of the ice cubes will remnove most of the scale and residue. Swirl it around and rinse it out.

alflarson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alflarson

I'll repeat.

Use spray oven cleaner to coat interior. Rinse when oven cleaner is dry. Cleans outside of kettle as well, including painted ones. No harm to finish. May affect plastic or rubber surfaces on some handles, lids, etc. Good for sinks, stove tops, window glass!! and anything SS. Keep away from aluminum!!

amlika

quality posts: 1 Private Messages amlika
Accelerator wrote:Easy restaurant trick for cleaning caraffe: Use coarse table salt and ice cubes. The abrasive action of the salt with the mass of the ice cubes will remnove most of the scale and residue. Swirl it around and rinse it out.

Genius, thanks. Buying a 2nd one after husband burnt our old one and melted the plastic parts when he fell asleep without the whistle on. Then he tossed it to destroy the evidence... ugh! There were things I didn't love about the kettle however it was durable over all and the whistle was loud enough for me to hear through the whole house. Also not a savings really from what I originally paid but still a good buy.

Obscurity makes it all clear.

casenundra

quality posts: 0 Private Messages casenundra

I'll repeat.

You should be able to get your hand in there. If not. use a sponge on a stick.

lscott1915

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lscott1915

If you will add a cascade dishwashing pod to your kettle, fill with hot water, soak overnight, it will be clean as new next day. May want to add a teaspoon of vinegar. Ususlly requires no scrubbing, but a baby bottle cleaning brush works pretty good.

audeojude wrote:umm.. i have owned many kettles and not a single one was ever easy to clean on the inside. aggressive scotchbright pad seems to work best for me. good luck on getting your hand in and scrubbing just takes patience.

I you use distled water or water filtered with a reverse osmosis under sink filter you will almost never need to clean the inside of your kettle. We can go over a year between cleanings and it still be bright shiny clean on the inside. Actually the reverse osmosis system works better than the distilled water from walmart as far as deposits on the inside of the kettle go, maybe a year and half vs a year before you get a haze inside.

Turxey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Turxey

Anyone have any thoughts on the pricing?
For the 2qt SS?
Doesn't seem that good a deal at first glance.
Is this brand particularly sturdy or summat?

audeojude wrote:umm.. i have owned many kettles and not a single one was ever easy to clean on the inside...

What about those (usually plastic) Jug style kettles that sit on a base?

samira

quality posts: 14 Private Messages samira

The price on the stainless one is not super, but I needed a tea kettle so I purchased it a couple of weeks ago. Overall if it lasts a while, I think it is worth it.

The one thing I am still getting used to is the pour spout - you have to flip the cap down, as opposed to most tea kettles that you can just flip with your thumb. If you have big hands, you can reach it with your thumb, but if not you have to flip it down then pick up the kettle. Not a big deal and I am already getting used to it.
I have noticed that I do not have to worry about avoiding steam burns to my thumb as I pour, which sometimes can happen with tea kettles.

Beyond that, it is very pretty, feels solidly constructed and all important parts are cool to touch.

The whistle is audible but not loud. I can hear it from the other room but it would not wake me if I were to doze off.
A big plus for me because it does not make the dogs go crazy (like they do if they hear a doorbell on tv).

inkwench

quality posts: 1 Private Messages inkwench

Thank you.

I was about to buy the red when I saw the note about not working well with induction. And I was buying it for my induction range, so thanks for letting me not get enraged....

In inverse and not complete order. Rinfrescante. Pepper Bridge. Saxon Brown. Monkey Prize. Vina Robles. Ty Caton Tytanium (always!). Roshambo. Polyphemus. Donati Family. Poizon. Montinore. Kent Rasumussen. Mumm Napa. Boss Monster. Iron Horse. Albino Rhino. White Zeppelin, Buttonwood Farm, 8-Bit, Ty Caton Racchus, Twas!

kwkilcoyne

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kwkilcoyne

Looks like it's time to replace my 30 year old Revere,which no longer whistles and has seen better days.

A trick I have used for cleaning: since I have an automatic espresso machine that regularly needs descaling, I run the descaling fluid through my kettle after it's run through the machine, and get double duty out of the stuff. Works great,

LarryLars

quality posts: 65 Private Messages LarryLars

The item's condition is listed as new, yet the warranty is only 90 days. This is the deal breaker for me.

!

Have you checked your Private Messages lately?

Tygress

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Tygress

I have the red/black one in turquoise and I like it a lot. The handle is nice, it is easy to use, the whistle is great. I haven't burnt myself on it and I don't think I will. I got it for the same price but at HomeGoods and they only had the turquoise and a weird purple. If you're looking for a new kettle, I'd recommend it.

Searayjim

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Searayjim

We have this in SS but paid mm ore on Amazon a couple years ago. I think this ks an awesome kettle. I don't get the negative comments, it whistles just fine, that handle is fine although like anything that been sitting on top of fire, containing boiling water, if you try, you can burn yourself.

I wish I needed another one. This is a great buy.

theco2

Fortunately, the stainless is not real reflective, so we don't have to worry about Wooters reenacting this infamous sale.