12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

KyserSoze

quality posts: 18 Private Messages KyserSoze

waiden

quality posts: 1 Private Messages waiden

Looks like a very capable gaming laptop. But, no blu-ray player? I'm really tempted but that may be the killer for me.

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3465 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

TONS of solid reviews (4.2 out of 5.0) over at amazon

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3465 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Some additional info can be found over at asus.com

echineko

quality posts: 3 Private Messages echineko

Got this when they were on sale few weeks ago, totally love it. Great build quality, fantastic power (especially when you max out the RAM to 32gb), snappy response time while gaming.

Just be aware that this laptop is huge, and bulky. If your requirements are more on mobility and less on actual power, might want to skip it.

But if you're like me, and need lots processing power for work, you won't regret it.

KyserSoze

conanthelibrarian wrote:Some additional info can be found over at asus.com

conanthelibrarian wrote:Some additional info can be found over at asus.com

Is there an echo in here?

echineko

As an add on to my earlier post, be aware of a few things:

1. This comes with Windows 8, if that's a problem for you, you will need an installer disk for another OS

2. The user serviceable area includes an empty slot for a second hard disk or SSD

3. There are 2 user accessible RAM slots, but you will need compatible memory cards to maximise them, the remaining 2 slots are behind the keyboard and will void your warranty if you swap em out

More details (how I figured this stuff out) found here http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?23929-Adding-RAM-to-G75&country=&status=

jbgroup1

quality posts: 8 Private Messages jbgroup1

You will probably want to replace the wifi card with a better one. After replacing the wifi card with a Intel 6235 and adding a blueray player it became a fairly decent machine. I also added 8GB of memory to make 16GB. I was unaware that the memory could be increased to 32GB.

Chi. Yes, I want you to do something for me. I want you to go in my room, look over my suits, in the ceiling, up on the ceiling you'll see a key stuck there. I want you to take it down and bring it to me. Meet me at the Total Experience in one halfa hour. Can you dig it?

camdragon2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages camdragon2

This model is very solid (but heavy @ over 10 lbs) and is very much a capable gaming rig for the road or your local LAN party. I have upgraded this model for my friend and it is very VERY easy to get to everything. Couple of bottom plate screws and you have access to the open dimm slots, and the HDD area. NOTE: this computer does have 2 HDD slots available, so you can turn it into a raid 0 beast, or shoot for SSD with a HDD storage setup. Best part is everything is very very easy to get to, by far one of the easiest laptops I have upgraded.

Also noticed it stays very cool to the touch as well, the exhaust fans shoot out the back like an exhaust on a car. so keyboard and lap, and the soda you have to the side of the laptop isn't boiling.

Happy wooting and Enjoy :D

echineko

jbgroup1 wrote: I was unaware that the memory could be increased to 32GB.

That involves swapping out the RAM on all four slots, including the 2 that are not user accessible, which will void the warranty. That's why I only went for an additional 16gb of compatible dual channel memory (the thread I linked earlier will show you how to identify what you need), and am planning on a full swap out once my warranty is up

Hope that helps,
echineko

KyserSoze

echineko wrote:As an add on to my earlier post, be aware of a few things:

2. The user serviceable area includes an empty slot for a second hard disk or SSD

I was going to ask that! I have an older HP 17" with dual hd bays and it's a real plus, I think it should be listed in the specs. Thanks.

echineko

KyserSoze wrote:I was going to ask that! I have an older HP 17" with dual hd bays and it's a real plus, I think it should be listed in the specs. Thanks.

No problem, cheers. As I said, I got one of these on Woot recently, and am loving it, will be happy to answer any questions y'all might have :p

jbgroup1

quality posts: 8 Private Messages jbgroup1
echineko wrote:That involves swapping out the RAM on all four slots, including the 2 that are not user accessible, which will void the warranty. That's why I only went for an additional 16gb of compatible memory (the thread I linked earlier will show you how to identify what you need), and am planning on a full swap out once my warranty is up

Hope that helps,
echineko

I actually knew about the memory slots under the keyboard. The wifi card I replaced is near the memory. I thought it was a motherboard limitation.

Chi. Yes, I want you to do something for me. I want you to go in my room, look over my suits, in the ceiling, up on the ceiling you'll see a key stuck there. I want you to take it down and bring it to me. Meet me at the Total Experience in one halfa hour. Can you dig it?

nebelhund

quality posts: 7 Private Messages nebelhund

My son and I each have one of the earlier versions of this machine and have loved the hell out of them. Mine is the older, about 4 years, and has been amazing. His is 1 year old and has also been great. I have really been impressed with the Republic of Gamers line ASUS has been putting out.

Others have mentioned the build quality, they are stout and hold up well. Again, you won't want to lug it around, but it is a great desktop replacement gaming unit.

We maxed out the RAM on both of ours and mine took more time to reach the 4th chip (3 were reachable removing a single screw) the 4th was under the keyboard and took more work, but wasn't bad. Son's has all 4 chip slots easily reached from the bottom. Very easy to work on. I also upgraded the wifi card on mine, took about 3 minutes to do.

Nothing but great experiences with our machines.

echineko

jbgroup1 wrote:I actually knew about the memory slots under the keyboard. The wifi card I replaced is near the memory. I thought it was a motherboard limitation.

Not at all, the huge RAM support was one of the main selling points for me, since my work requires lots of clustered virtual machines for testing

Im still using the wifi card that came with the laptop, on my home wifi network I'm getting over 1Mb/s, works fine for me since I'm not going to be upgrading the bandwidth anytime soon. No issues with connecting/maintaining a connection to wireless networks so far

shavelikeaman

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shavelikeaman

I have a G75 very similar to this. Mine has the Blu-ray player but only a 500 GB HD. I paid more than this when I bought it in June and do not regret it at all.

I bought mine as a desktop replacement. It smokes my old desktop for PC gaming.

Synergi

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Synergi
nebelhund wrote:My son and I each have one of the earlier versions of this machine and have love hell out of them. Mine is the older, about 4 years, and has been amazing. His is 1 year old and has also been great. I have really been impressed with the Republic of Gamers line ASUS has been putting out.

Others have mentioned the build quality, they are stout and hold up well. Again, you won't want to lug it around, but it is a great desktop replacement gaming unit.

We maxed out the RAM on both of ours and mine took more time to reach the 4th chip (3 were reachable removing a single screw) the 4th was under the keyboard and took more work, but wasn't bad. Son's has all 4 chip slots easily reached from the bottom. Very easy to work on. I also upgraded the wifi card on mine, took about 3 minutes to do.

Nothing but great experiences with our machines.

I gave the G73jh which hit 3 years this pass July and is still going strong. If you want a solid gaming machine, this is it. Solid, well built and still plays everything.

I like mine so much, I bought the smaller G55 a few months ago. The cd drive is easy to swap out for a blue ray drive. I wouldnt let that be a deal breaker at this price.

darkheath

quality posts: 0 Private Messages darkheath

I just paid $1500 ($1700 with warranty) for one of these with a newer CPU and better GPU and love the hell out of it. I was about to try to build my own desktop setup, but decided to buy this when I saw it on TigerDirect. As others have said.. it's heavy (and sturdy)... but not nearly as bulky as the desktop machine I was going to build and it smokes the 6 year old machine it replaced.

ewaldjw

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ewaldjw

I bought a similar G75 a couple of years ago (NOV2011) and it's still kicking butt. I had an issue with overheating but solved it with a cooling pad and a can of air. Now I can overclock and speed through nearly anything. I can even play Bioshock Infinate at decent speed and this is a 2 year old. This laptop has far exceded my expectations.
PS. It looks awesome too.

13 - Woots
1 - Accessories.woot
1 - Tech.woot
2 - Home.woots
3 - Sport.woots
26 - Shirt.woots
3 - Sellout.woots

NortonsArk

quality posts: 12 Private Messages NortonsArk

Newegg is selling pretty much the same machine except for a bigger 1Tb drive for $840:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231002

They are also selling the new (not refurb) version with the newer i7 processor, 12Gb memory, and better graphics card for $1380:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231089

Newegg is also free shipping and no sales tax for most of us. Recently NeweggFlash was selling the first one for $805, but that deal is expired.

xninjagrrl

quality posts: 7 Private Messages xninjagrrl

Your first newegg link is for a refurb. I stopped reading at that revelation. This is the cheapest you will find this laptop New. That being said, I'd still prefer a Y510, they had a deal for 789$ last week over at Lenovo and its got Haswell.

NortonsArk wrote:Newegg is selling pretty much the same machine except for a bigger 1Tb drive for $840:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231002

They are also selling the new (not refurb) version with the newer i7 processor, 12Gb memory, and better graphics card for $1380:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231089

Newegg is also free shipping and no sales tax for most of us. Recently NeweggFlash was selling the first one for $805, but that deal is expired.

Pros: The pills were there.
Cons: So was the tank.

njmarkas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages njmarkas

Dude, spoilers in the write-up!

pmperry

quality posts: 1 Private Messages pmperry
waiden wrote:Looks like a very capable gaming laptop. But, no blu-ray player? I'm really tempted but that may be the killer for me.

It's great, this is a legit desktop replacement and you can add the nbluray later if you want but, my only disappointment with it is that I didn't realize it didn't have Bluetooth when I bought mine from Amazon.

pmperry

xninjagrrl wrote:Your first newegg link is for a refurb. I stopped reading at that revelation. This is the cheapest you will find this laptop New. That being said, I'd still prefer a Y510, they had a deal for 789$ last week over at Lenovo and its got Haswell.

The Y510 put the intake at the bottom and doesn't have anywhere near the ability to cool the CPU and GPU that this thing has. You can use this thing on a bed with no issues and several hour gaming sessions leave the laptop cool to the touch.

The GPU in this is on a card so there is potential for upgrade and the CPU is in a socket as well but, 4 RAM slots and 2 Hard Drive bays easily make this a better design and build than the Lenovo.

echineko

pmperry wrote:It's great, this is a legit desktop replacement and you can add the nbluray later if you want but, my only disappointment with it is that I didn't realize it didn't have Bluetooth when I bought mine from Amazon.

There's some kind of mixup here, these bad boys don't come with a Bluray player, only DVD, but they definitely come with Bluetooth, I was gaming with my Bluetooth Razer Orochi just earlier today

Snatch4982

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Snatch4982

I trust Asus and regularly use their hardware in my desktop builds. That being said, for this price range I'd also highly recommend folks take a look at the Lenovo Y500 and/or the 510p. Both are available with dual graphic cards (GT 650m and GT 750m respectively) in SLI setup which absolutely destroys a single GTX 660m in performance. Although the Lenovo has only a single 2.5 HDD slot, it also has an available mSATA slot. I swapped out the stock HDD for a 1 TB 7200 rpm and a 250 GB Crucial mSATA using a clean install of Windows 8 from an upgrade disk I had from another PC (keep original HDD and msata safe for a few months in case you need to return or service the laptop). Alternatively, there are good online resources for cloning the original drive if you lack access to an installation disc. My system boots to desktop in 15 seconds, has a Windows performance rating of like 9.5 and plays Battlefield 3 on Ultra settings with 30+ fps on all maps.

This Asus looks nice, but make sure you know all your options before throwing down for a rig that is technically already outdated the moment it hits the store shelves. Buyers remorse is bad, but lag and shoddy frame rates are worse! Happy gaming, Wooters!

- Birthday of Celebrations #1 6/3/2013
- Birthday of Celebrations #2 1/16/2014
- Shirt-Birthday of Celebrations 7/11/2014

barahon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages barahon

Won't Woot ever offer one without Windows?

Snatch4982

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Snatch4982
barahon wrote:Won't Woot ever offer one without Windows?

They do occasionally... They call them Macs. You can see them being modeled in nearly any coffee shop in the country.

- Birthday of Celebrations #1 6/3/2013
- Birthday of Celebrations #2 1/16/2014
- Shirt-Birthday of Celebrations 7/11/2014

allastorm

quality posts: 2 Private Messages allastorm

I bought this Asus a few weeks ago when the had the sale, it was the same price and the same laptop. Typing on it now, I LOVE it!

As a gamer, my games all run smooth and looks great, usually on High settings.

This laptop is SO QUIET I am amazed. Its also very, very cool. The cooling system in here is top notch. It may be big and bulky, but for the quiet and coolness you get its well worth it. I bought this laptop instead of building a gaming rig and it was well worth the price.

If you are on the fence, just do it. Lots of room to upgrade and modify. I haven't updated the RAM or SSD yet and Honestly I haven't seen a need to do so. I will eventually, but right now everything runs smooth and fast.

Any questions I am happy to answer ^^

shoulda2

quality posts: 2 Private Messages shoulda2

Torn on this one...

It's between this and a Sager NP8275, the sager is $1399, but has i7-4700, 16gb ram, blu-ray reader, and 770m ... both are 17'' laptops new with 1yr warranty.

Any gaming techies out there able to give me a pro/con?

pmperry

allastorm wrote:I bought this Asus a few weeks ago when the had the sale, it was the same price and the same laptop. Typing on it now, I LOVE it!

As a gamer, my games all run smooth and looks great, usually on High settings.

This laptop is SO QUIET I am amazed. Its also very, very cool. The cooling system in here is top notch. It may be big and bulky, but for the quiet and coolness you get its well worth it. I bought this laptop instead of building a gaming rig and it was well worth the price.

If you are on the fence, just do it. Lots of room to upgrade and modify. I haven't updated the RAM or SSD yet and Honestly I haven't seen a need to do so. I will eventually, but right now everything runs smooth and fast.

Any questions I am happy to answer ^^

Yep and the Nvidia Experience app will optimize most games for their best performance / looks compromise. This software is installed on the laptop by default.

pmperry

shoulda2 wrote:Torn on this one...

It's between this and a Sager NP8275, the sager is $1399, but has i7-4700, 16gb ram, blu-ray reader, and 770m ... both are 17'' laptops new with 1yr warranty.

Any gaming techies out there able to give me a pro/con?

I cannot give you a pros / cons but, I can tell you I went with this over more powerful laptops because of the cooling. This thing has a cooling system that should keep it running for years where as the other gaming laptops tend to be small heaters.

demarco439

quality posts: 1 Private Messages demarco439
pmperry wrote:I cannot give you a pros / cons but, I can tell you I went with this over more powerful laptops because of the cooling. This thing has a cooling system that should keep it running for years where as the other gaming laptops tend to be small heaters.

I am really torn on this deal too. It would be an automatic buy if it was a 4th gen i7. I have a laptop spec on dells site that is almost the same with an inferior graphics card. Ugh! can't decide!

bro3of4

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bro3of4
demarco439 wrote:I am really torn on this deal too. It would be an automatic buy if it was a 4th gen i7. I have a laptop spec on dells site that is almost the same with an inferior graphics card. Ugh! can't decide!

Torn too. I don't NEED another laptop (I have a couple of older ones that are still alive and kicking), but this is a good laptop for a good price and pretty much what I am looking for. Except for the Chiclets keyboard; I hate Chiclets type keys, but that seems to be the standard now.

Nothing to see here. Move along. Move along.

jdevenberg

quality posts: 6 Private Messages jdevenberg

I have the G75VX (same as this laptop but with the GeForce 670MX instead of the 660M Woot's has). I actually got it at Best Buy as an open box for $816 (so it may be worth seeing if your Best Buy has one before jumping on this) the same day Woot ran this laptop last at the end of July.

These laptops are great in every way. But you truly need to realize just how huge of a laptop this is. It doesn't fit in [i}most[/i] bags built for 17.3" laptops, you need a bag built for 18" laptops if you want to be certain it will fit without trying it first. You need to carefully read what dimensions the bag you buy fits. Most of the bags that fit this laptop are $75-$120. Below that price range you will be very limited in your choice. The Solo Urban backpack ($35 on Amazon): http://www.amazon.com/SOLO-Collection-Computer-17-3-Inch-UBN701-4/dp/B00BP5N2BS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1376752886&sr=8-2&keywords=Solo+Urban, is what I got and is the only backpack under $70 I found that would fit it.

jdevenberg

quality posts: 6 Private Messages jdevenberg
demarco439 wrote:I am really torn on this deal too. It would be an automatic buy if it was a 4th gen i7. I have a laptop spec on dells site that is almost the same with an inferior graphics card. Ugh! can't decide!

IMO, 4th gen is not needed on this laptop. Haswell's big gains were in battery life and graphics. This laptop will benefit from neither because it has a dedicated graphics card that will eat up your battery. A 4th gen i7 is going to add nothing but extra cost to this particular laptop.

xxooss

quality posts: 12 Private Messages xxooss

Got this for my son about a year ago. It is very fast and preforms well. It is huge, heavy and bulky but hey...when you cram a complete gaming system into a small form factor there is only so small you can go.

As for the blue ray, well mine came with it . Don't worry though, the cdrom will fail and need replacing so just get them to send you one then. LOL The rubber feet on the bottom will all fall off and ASUS wil not replace them. That being said the worst part about this deal is that it is ASUS. The machine is good but the customer service/tech support is the WORST ever!!! I am totally, it is horrific and if you have to contact them be prepared for off shore Vistas who dont care about customer retention. If you do need help do everything you can to get to the Indiana call center. After 10 or so contacts with the others I finally found a guy at the center in Indiana that was friendly and wanted to help. Like I said...the laptop is awesome, just be prepared with booze, Valium and deep zen meditation if you need support.

shadoe

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shadoe

I own the G75VW-BBK5. Biggest thing you can do for this is toss the SATA drive and get a SSD. Power off to login screen in under 10 seconds. This is more of a desktop replacement than a portable laptop, so get ready to lug it around (and its equally massive power supple).. performance comes at a price and I'm willing to pay that.

demarco439

quality posts: 1 Private Messages demarco439
jdevenberg wrote:IMO, 4th gen is not needed on this laptop. Haswell's big gains were in battery life and graphics. This laptop will benefit from neither because it has a dedicated graphics card that will eat up your battery. A 4th gen i7 is going to add nothing but extra cost to this particular laptop.

Thanks! I pulled the trigger.