WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Laptops - The Ultimate Misnomer

The portable-computer industry made a valiant effort to replace "laptop" with "notebook" but it seems like the former is here to stay. All hail the laptop! The one piece of electronic equipment that can be used in almost any way except that described in its name! 

Quality Posts

dvdvija

quality posts: 4 Private Messages dvdvija

I wish Woot have comparision chart for these laptops, make easier to decide.

marshallram

quality posts: 4 Private Messages marshallram

Just a heads up, I bought the black 14" Beats Edition last time. I got it home and immediately the sound quit working. The On-Board troubleshooter takes you through a never ending loop as does HP's online troubleshooting. After many calls to HP they acknowledged that it was a known problem and their fix was that every time the audio quit working was to restore the system like it was new out of the box. I did and audio quit again aa day later. Sent it back. Last HP I'll buy.

sleytem

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sleytem

Can anybody tell me if the acer is a touch screen? Their site only says some model in that size-not which ones.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 547 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

sleytem wrote:Can anybody tell me if the acer is a touch screen? Their site only says some model in that size-not which ones.

If any are a touch screen, it will be noted in the specs and probably in the title on the sale's page.

As for the Acer's, I don't see any that are touch screen.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

kmartind

quality posts: 38 Private Messages kmartind
marshallram wrote:...fix was that every time the audio quit working was to restore the system like it was new out of the box. I did and audio quit again aa day later.

If it works out of the box then there is absolutely no question that "you" changed something to cause it to stop working (I use the term "you" loosely to describe not just deliberate actions, but things the user may have inadvertently allowed to happen automatically).

My first guess, you probably let it load one of those supposedly helpful driver updates that Microsoft delivers through Windows Update. Those things have been breaking systems ever since MS started doing that. Just stick with getting Windows updates from MS and
download drivers only from either the computer manufacturer's website or the component manufacturer's website, and a lot of those problems can be avoided.

There may also be a faulty update on the component or computer manufacturer's website from time to time, but the built-in Windows system restore should be able to roll back your system to right before the faulty update, no problem, and without wiping out anything that was there before the problem occurred.

sleytem

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sleytem
ThunderThighs wrote:If any are a touch screen, it will be noted in the specs and probably in the title on the sale's page.

As for the Acer's, I don't see any that are touch screen.

Thank you!

vibes4me

quality posts: 2 Private Messages vibes4me

I was walking through the woods in Czech Republic once and I stumbled over an ASUS touch-screen Laptop. Wish I could have kept it. It was still running on it's battery from 1941...

ninjabb4

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ninjabb4

Does Asus Q200E VivoBook have bluetooth? If not, then I'll pass.

ThunderThighs

Staff

ninjabb4 wrote:Does Asus Q200E VivoBook have bluetooth? If not, then I'll pass.

It's not listed in the specs.

CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

ThunderThighs

Staff

HEY Y'ALL. We have a LOT of laptops in this deal so if you have a question about a specific one, it'll be faster if you can provide a link to that laptop's sale page.

Thanks!

A weary mod.

dazelmer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dazelmer

The Asus U46E-RAL6 specs show a 7200RPM HDD. http://sellout.woot.com/offers/asus-14-dual-core-i5-laptop-1

Amazon and Newegg state that it comes with a 5400RPM drive. Can someone confirm the hard drive speed?

http://www.amazon.com/Asus-U46E-RAL6-Computer-LED-Backlit-Processor/dp/B00687WGGA
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230417

[MOD: We've changed the specs to 5400. Thanks for noting that.]

Hoodis

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Hoodis

I don't see backlit keyboard in the specs, but I thought the s3 had one. Anyone know?

ThunderThighs

Staff

Hoodis wrote:I don't see backlit keyboard in the specs, but I thought the s3 had one. Anyone know?

It's an optional feature for that model. Unless noted in the specs, the laptops do not have a blacklit keyboard.

mechanicsc

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mechanicsc

Had to snag one of those Lenovos... been eyeballing a Thinkpad for awhile and that's a great price (especially considering its new with a 3-year warranty). Been using them at work for years and they are rock-solid machines.

Yes, I know based on specs alone there are better deals to be had, but the Thinkpads are pretty bulletproof in the business-class models.

I'm replacing an 18-month-old HP where the plastics are disintegrating, and that laptop has had an easy life (never left the house!)

ewhac

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ewhac

I see the Thinkpad L520 is up for grabs. It's the first time I've seen an xx20 series Thinkpad on Woot. The xx20 series are the last Thinkpads I'll consider buying, since Lenovo went insane and changed the keyboard -- the legendary Thinkpad keyboard! -- for the xx30 series.

What are the chances there's a T420 in the offing in the upcoming months?

mechanicsc

ewhac wrote:I see the Thinkpad L520 is up for grabs. It's the first time I've seen an xx20 series Thinkpad on Woot. The xx20 series are the last Thinkpads I'll consider buying, since Lenovo went insane and changed the keyboard -- the legendary Thinkpad keyboard! -- for the xx30 series.

What are the chances there's a T420 in the offing in the upcoming months?

The only T-series Thinkpads I have ever seen on here were refurbs with 90-day warranties.

Seeing as how the business-grade Lenovos have 3 year warranties, there's a decent chance any refurb one you get may be 2+ years old when you get it.

For this price, I'd snag this one if you are truly interested.

ewhac

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ewhac
mechanicsc wrote:For this price, I'd snag this one if you are truly interested.

The 14" Thinkpad Z61t I already have is at the outer limits of portability for my purposes. A 15.6" unit would just be too big.

And as for the 1366 x 768 display resolution... Let's just say I have a snip out against the snip who arranged the conspiracy that's saddled all new laptops with that display resolution. 1366 x 768 is insultingly low-res, especially for a 15" display, and most particularly in light of the fact that the 14" display on my six year old Thinkpad is already 1440 x 900. Display resolutions were supposed to increase over time, not stagnate. Grr, I say, grrrr...

Adelas

quality posts: 11 Private Messages Adelas

Woot, I realize that you don't want to cram too much information into the computer titles. But I would really, REALLY appreciate it if you would start including the operating system information in the item title.

If the picture doesn't include a photo of the Win 8 OS screen (eg. the Gateway in this one, or almost ALL of the HP desktops), I can't tell which one it is.

And I don't want a Windows 8 computer. That makes for a LOT of clicking.

jpang

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jpang
Adelas wrote:

I was actually in your situation a few days ago, but I read up about an upgrade Microsoft is making to the OS (gonna cleverly be called Windows 8.1) That adds a Start button back on the desktop and an option that allows you to skit that whole "Metro" layout on bootup. I think they are releasing it at the end of August. Seriously considering getting 8 with a new laptop now since the OS has faster boot times and speeds :/

redidas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages redidas

Super bummed I missed out on the HP Folio 13! That's a great little computer. Any chance we'll see it come around again?

http://sellout.woot.com/offers/hp-13-3-core-i3-laptop-w-128gb-ssd

manhandsha

quality posts: 33 Private Messages manhandsha

Staff

redidas wrote:Super bummed I missed out on the HP Folio 13! That's a great little computer. Any chance we'll see it come around again?

http://sellout.woot.com/offers/hp-13-3-core-i3-laptop-w-128gb-ssd

I'm not sure, but keep checking back. You never know!

Have a question about your order or account? Click here to contact Woot Member Services.

mechanicsc

Just got my shipping confirmation... Woot!

cjsutherland

quality posts: 4 Private Messages cjsutherland
Adelas wrote:Woot, I realize that you don't want to cram too much information into the computer titles. But I would really, REALLY appreciate it if you would start including the operating system information in the item title.

If the picture doesn't include a photo of the Win 8 OS screen (eg. the Gateway in this one, or almost ALL of the HP desktops), I can't tell which one it is.

It is 2 extra clicks for whatever item you are interested in...

rmanz

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rmanz

Does anyone have any experience with the Craig Android laptop?
http://sellout.woot.com/offers/craig-7-android-powered-slimbook-6

Adelas

quality posts: 11 Private Messages Adelas
cjsutherland wrote:It is 2 extra clicks for whatever item you are interested in...

But I won't know if I'm interested until I click it, BECAUSE THE DESCRIPTION DOESN'T TELL ME what I need to know (to wit, which OS it has). So I have to click them all to find out if I'm even interested. Two extra clicks, per item, and if I'm only looking at items up to $500, means 54 extra clicks in this one. Not counting the extra clicks over in the desktop area.

ThunderThighs

Staff

Adelas wrote:But I won't know if I'm interested until I click it, BECAUSE THE DESCRIPTION DOESN'T TELL ME what I need to know (to wit, which OS it has). So I have to click them all to find out if I'm even interested. Two extra clicks, per item, and if I'm only looking at items up to $500, means 54 extra clicks in this one. Not counting the extra clicks over in the desktop area.

I respect your clicks (and your math) but the titles on the first/main page have very limited character lengths.

thegarcias

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thegarcias

I recently returned an Acer V5. It's a nice looking laptop with some nice specs for the price but the touch screen is terrible. you can't scroll up or down without accidentally highlighting all the text. Also, the thing might be thin but it's huge! Not very portable IMO.

cooldaddybeck

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cooldaddybeck

Acer Aspire V5-551-8401 description on the Acer site say it it touchscreen, but I can't find that in the description on the woot listing. Is it possible that there is an identical model without touchscreen being offered? On the acer site, it's in the Overview, but not in the specs...

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model/NX.M44AA.001

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 152 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

cooldaddybeck wrote:Acer Aspire V5-551-8401 description on the Acer site say it it touchscreen, but I can't find that in the description on the woot listing. Is it possible that there is an identical model without touchscreen being offered? On the acer site, it's in the Overview, but not in the specs...

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model/NX.M44AA.001

On the link you mentioned there is a footnote matching their touchscreen spec: "Specifications vary depending on model."

It seems that various other sites don't list the touchscreen feature as well.

Maybe only certain Acer Aspire V5 models feature this? *shrug*

cooldaddybeck

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cooldaddybeck
ROGETRAY wrote:On the link you mentioned there is a footnote matching their touchscreen spec: "Specifications vary depending on model."

It seems that various other sites don't list the touchscreen feature as well.

Maybe only certain Acer Aspire V5 models feature this? *shrug*

I would think that the "V5-551-8401" model number listed here and on the manufacturer's site would be specific. Wouldn't there be an 8402, or 8501 for slightly different model features?

anyway, no point in buying without the touch screen so I'll take a pass this time around since I can't confirm it.

dmcmanamon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dmcmanamon

Horrible experience to date.
Package arrived in 7 days, but windows activation fails -- shows the windows ID already assigned to another user.
No windows COA sticker on the laptop.
Called Asus Refurb support, was told to ship it back (standard shipping only paid) and allow 5 to 7 business days plus the two-way shipping time.
great way to start the school year !

Asus K55A-HI5103D Laptop, 15.6" LED, Intel Core i5-3210M Dual-Core 2.5GHz

benjiama

quality posts: 0 Private Messages benjiama
dmcmanamon wrote:Horrible experience to date.
Package arrived in 7 days, but windows activation fails -- shows the windows ID already assigned to another user.
No windows COA sticker on the laptop.
Called Asus Refurb support, was told to ship it back (standard shipping only paid) and allow 5 to 7 business days plus the two-way shipping time.
great way to start the school year !

Asus K55A-HI5103D Laptop, 15.6" LED, Intel Core i5-3210M Dual-Core 2.5GHz

Yeah, I'm having the exact same issue with one of the other Asus laptops. It works fine, except for this windows key problem.

Asus Refurb actually told me that it wasn't them that dealt with the machine, since they "wouldn't use a key at all" or something like that. I don't know if that's actually true or not. All that came in the box, other than laptop and cord, was a yellow sheet from Asus Refurb.

Does anyone know who actually did the reconditioning on these products, so I can hassle them about it? Woot support is not helpful.

Asus X55CRF-SI30202M Laptop, 15.6” LED, Intel Core i3-2370 Dual-Core 2.4GHz

yampig

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yampig

I got the HP 13.3" Core i3 Laptop w/128GB SSD. It has proven to be a great laptop at a great price.