WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Tablet Time

We get this question all the time so we're just going to preempt it right here: Yes, you can technically operate these touchscreens with your butt. HOWEVER, the surface of your butt is much larger than your finger, so it is not recommended. 

ragsys

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ragsys

Samsung XE500T1C
bought this from Woot last offering. Love this tablet. I have iPads,Androids,Hp WebOS and Computers back to the 70s.This my all time favorite. It runs both 16,32and 64 bit software all installed at the same time! I use my all time favorites interactvely with OS delivered on the tablet. Install the free desktop software (on the web) patch to get the old desktop back and run all pc software from NT to Win 8 with/without apps. You may think there is a screen bright/ dim problem but go to Samy website for latest update. Use a powered USB adapter to add more Usb devices. Plays media better than my new ASUS win 8 laptop.

alextse

quality posts: 24 Private Messages alextse

I like the TF300 for multiple reasons. First, the Tegra 3 is well matched to the screen resolution and does not stutter like some of the higher resolution screens. I know this was somewhat addressed with updates but people are still complaining so better to be safe with this "lower" resolution. Secondly, the TF300 has basically the same component parts as the Nexus 7 so when a new Android version comes out, the Nexus devices get it first, followed closely by this TF300. Asus has a good history of keeping up with the firmware releases so there is less need to root and install another ROM unlike some devices with little manufacturer support. Lastly, the keyboard attachment is a great option and makes the tablet that much more useful for productivity (vs consumption).

The only negative is that I would consider this a bargain at $200 and the keyboard at $50. So Woot is "close" but not quite there. I'm sure price will be dropping even more as the next iteration from Asus is supposedly coming out "soon" plus HP's copycat version with the latest Tegra 4 processor just launched a week ago.

Lord John Whorfin

quality posts: 27 Private Messages Lord John Whorfin

It's certainly a better purchase than an as-good-as-dead Surface RT tablet -- the price is a little steep for a refurb, especially without a keyboard.

ragsys

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ragsys
ragsys wrote:Samsung XE500T1C
bought this from Woot last offering. Love this tablet. I have iPads,Androids,Hp WebOS and Computers back to the 70s.This my all time favorite. It runs both 16,32and 64 bit software all installed at the same time! I use my all time favorites interactvely with OS delivered on the tablet. Install the free desktop software (on the web) patch to get the old desktop back and run all pc software from NT to Win 8 with/without apps. You may think there is a screen bright/ dim problem but go to Samy website for latest update. Use a powered USB adapter to add more Usb devices. Plays media better than my new ASUS win 8 laptop.

I believe returns maybe based on the screen going dimmer without contant interactive touching, This wa apparently a battery extening feature which now is addressed with an updater. I first thought it was defective. The update allows you to turn the featur off or adjust the time out for dimming without touch.

mysterio

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mysterio

I bought Asus TF700T-B1-GR with dock last month. It came without the power adapter/charger. Now it's listed for $50 less than what I paid. Two orders messed up in past month.

orchidluvr

quality posts: 7 Private Messages orchidluvr
mysterio wrote:I bought Asus TF700T-B1-GR with dock last month. It came without the power adapter/charger. Now it's listed for $50 less than what I paid. Two orders messed up in past month.

How do you like it? Other than the price you paid....

mysterio

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mysterio
orchidluvr wrote:How do you like it? Other than the price you paid....

I haven't been able to use it because of no power. It has proprietary charging connector and USB adapter.

traquy

quality posts: 54 Private Messages traquy

I am considering a tablet for my 8 yr old niece this Christmas, which will probably be also used by her 3 yr old sister and Mom (they currently do not have any tablets). Any suggestions among the options less than $100?

Also, if I were to get her a gift card for android apps where would I get it from so she can load up her new tablet with tween crap?

vraptor

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vraptor
traquy wrote:Also, if I were to get her a gift card for android apps where would I get it from so she can load up her new tablet with tween crap?

Play store gift cards are available at most major retailers like WalMart or Target.

bigfoot013

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bigfoot013

How do you get the 3G turned on and what carriers can be used?

manhandsha

quality posts: 41 Private Messages manhandsha

Staff

bigfoot013 wrote:How do you get the 3G turned on and what carriers can be used?

That's a good question, I just sent an email to the buyers to see if I can get that info. I'll post back with an update.

Have a question about your order or account? Click here to contact Woot Member Services.

dieselboypunker

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dieselboypunker

Poloroid tab is the worst I've seen ever. Screen was all blotch and hard to read, no play store..

cdubya1906

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cdubya1906
traquy wrote:I am considering a tablet for my 8 yr old niece this Christmas, which will probably be also used by her 3 yr old sister and Mom (they currently do not have any tablets). Any suggestions among the options less than $100?

Also, if I were to get her a gift card for android apps where would I get it from so she can load up her new tablet with tween crap?

````````````````tHE vIZIO CHARGING PORT BREAKS EASILY. i GOT ONE AS XMASGIFT. BROKEN IN A MONTH. RETURNED AND GOT ANOTHER ONE. tHAT ONE LASTED 3 MONTHS. nICE TABLET WHEN IT WORKS.

eljahewa

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eljahewa

I purchased the Samsung XE500T1C ATIV Smart PC 500T - 11.6" 64GB with keyboard from the "mothership" (Amazon) back in June. I, too, have/had every imaginable gadget/tablet/pc (just sold my Surface RT) and this little cookie is THE BEST, hands down! I love Windows 8 (yes, I do!) and I don't believe I'll be needing any other "tablet" for a long while!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 618 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

bigfoot013 wrote:How do you get the 3G turned on and what carriers can be used?

From our wonderful Eric:

It works with GSM carriers like T-Mobile and AT&T

Here is a list of carriers and what they support: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_wireless_communications_service_providers

To hook it up to your cell network I believe you just need a SIM card. Here is the manual that will probably help. http://ap.viewsonic.com/product_ugs/tablet/vpad7_ug_eng.pdf

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

n0816

quality posts: 0 Private Messages n0816

Some people mentioned problems in the previous discussions for the Samsung XE500T1C.

Does anyone know whether these problems are common or whether they were resolved?

acraigl

quality posts: 65 Private Messages acraigl

Infinity Pad (TF700) + Dock = Fantastic tablet. For even better performance, unlock it and install CROMi-x. Stellar performance and 100% based on Asus stock firmware.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2223492

x2

eljahewa

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eljahewa
n0816 wrote:Some people mentioned problems in the previous discussions for the Samsung XE500T1C.

Does anyone know whether these problems are common or whether they were resolved?

The problems have been resolved ... You need to allow the Samsung app to update FIRST and then allow the Windows updates after (Samsung even advises this on their website). I've had none of the problems mentioned and I've had mine since June.

tazlover

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tazlover
traquy wrote:I am considering a tablet for my 8 yr old niece this Christmas, which will probably be also used by her 3 yr old sister and Mom (they currently do not have any tablets). Any suggestions among the options less than $100?

cdubya1906 wrote:````````````````tHE vIZIO CHARGING PORT BREAKS EASILY. i GOT ONE AS XMASGIFT. BROKEN IN A MONTH. RETURNED AND GOT ANOTHER ONE. tHAT ONE LASTED 3 MONTHS. nICE TABLET WHEN IT WORKS.

My daughter had this tablet. With only 4gb storage, she quickly ran out of room for apps.

The sd card can only be used for photos/videos/music. One of the updates to Android prevents you from moving the apps to the sd card.

n0816

quality posts: 0 Private Messages n0816
eljahewa wrote:The problems have been resolved ... You need to allow the Samsung app to update FIRST and then allow the Windows updates after (Samsung even advises this on their website). I've had none of the problems mentioned and I've had mine since June.

That's useful to know. Thanks!

Was your amazon purchase also a refurb?

Do you have any opinions on using the stylus for writing? That's one of the main attractions for me along with the ability to run a full version of Office, but I'm still a bit hesitant because I'll need a keyboard anyways when I'm using it for productivity.

toodledoo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages toodledoo

Can I use Google Play on this?

garbyrator

quality posts: 3 Private Messages garbyrator
orchidluvr wrote:How do you like it? Other than the price you paid....

I have the tablet, and it is great, no complaints at all. The keyboard has basically made it so I don't ever carry my laptop anymore (partly since we use Citrix Receiver at work) and the mouse/full keyboard makes it just like working on my PC but the freedom to pull the screen off and just have a tablet.

Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, but you always Woot.

walmartman

quality posts: 2 Private Messages walmartman

I've had the Viio for about a year now, and it's basically dead in the water for me. I'm sure there are still uses for it, but as apps update they run slower and slower. It used to be a great budget tablet. I finally uninstalled everything I could in hopes of just using it as a Kindle App reader. Well now even the Kindle App runs slow with the latest updates.
If you do get it and want to root, you have to root it before you run any software updates. Once you update the software (my mistake) you can't go back and you can't root.

fiyz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fiyz

They just shipped my ATIV 500T... is it supposed be shipped sans the tracking ability?

shifuimam

quality posts: 2 Private Messages shifuimam

The Vizio tablet is a pretty great budget model for a kid or someone just getting started in the Android world. It's impossible to root, but the stock OS is decent enough that it's not a huge problem. That said, we don't use ours all that much since we have other, better toys.

The TF300 is my primary Android tablet, with the keyboard dock. I LOVE THIS THING. When my laptop was off getting repaired for a week, it's all I used for regular computing, and it was great. With the addition of the dock and a free RDP app, I can use a real computer through it and the experience is just seamless.

Three things on the TF300:

Get a screen protector. It's not gorilla glass, and it will scratch. I am SUPER bummed that I have two very small nicks in mine (I'm obsessive about keeping it looking brand-new), but I got a screen protector for it that hides the scratches. I ended up getting an antiglare GreatShield (three-pack for $10 shipped on eBay), and it's awesome. It's a better touch surface, doesn't get fingerprinty, and most importantly it doesn't interfere with the keyboard dock.

The keyboard dock requires a 15Vcharger, and the tablet will charge very slowly on a 5V 2A charger (e.g. what comes with iPads, the TouchPad, and pretty much every Android tablet out there). This in mind, DON'T get a cheap Chinese power adapter as a backup charger. The touchscreen is extremely sensitive to "dirty" power (e.g. a transformer that isn't high-quality with a very clean, steady voltage output) and flakes out if you're using a crappy power adapter. It's also theoretically possible that such an adapter could shorten the lifespan of the battery in the tablet and/or keyboard, so if you need a second one buy an OEM one on eBay or Amazon ($20 on Amazon, super saver shipping eligible).

If you get the TF300 and it's already running Jelly Bean, I wouldn't recommend updating it quite yet - the newest system update disables Moto Chopper. If you're running build number 10.6.1.15.3-20130416 or older, Moto Chopper is a one-click root that is persistent and won't void your warranty.

Hope that all helps someone!

manhandsha

Staff

fiyz wrote:They just shipped my ATIV 500T... is it supposed be shipped sans the tracking ability?

You can always email Woot Member Services to see if they can help with the tracking. support@woot.com

Have a question about your order or account? Click here to contact Woot Member Services.

pakopako

quality posts: 2 Private Messages pakopako
mysterio wrote:I haven't been able to use it because of no power. It has proprietary charging connector and USB adapter.

Technically, you can use the proprietary-to-USB cable (if it was included) to charge it via a USB port. It will take SIX TIMES as long had you a dongle (i.e. expect 16 hours to reach 80%), but it will still trickle power if the tablet is off.

The charger that should have been included is a two-step outlet-to-USB adapter; it can give 5V/2A to any USB device plugged in, or 15V/1A to the Transformer. No third party USB charger even remotely gives 15V unless it was specifically made for the Transformer.

deessedivinee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deessedivinee

My Asus Infinity TF700T with dock has yet to ship, and I purchased it (and my card was charged) 8 AM August 12th. By my count, this is 7 business days later. Anyone else having trouble?

ThunderThighs

Staff

deessedivinee wrote:My Asus Infinity TF700T with dock has yet to ship, and I purchased it (and my card was charged) 8 AM August 12th. By my count, this is 7 business days later. Anyone else having trouble?

Well, it's the 6th day after the sale anyway which is one day longer than we like to see. You might drop an email to support@woot.com so they can look into it.

FORUM MODERATOR
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

deessedivinee

Update on this situation - still no tracking information from woot, and no luck trying the search by reference number (or order number) as suggested elsewhere. In other news, the tablet did arrive today, but no dock.

I double checked the tracking number from the shipping label, and apparently the tablet was sitting in my building's office since Thursday. So obviously now I am more annoyed with my building managers for not telling me the tablet was here than i am at woot (or the partner vendor) for failing to provide shipping information.

Then again, if i had had the shipping information, i would have known when the tablet arrived despite building management's flaws.

On another note, i had already sent CS an email inquiry about the vendor and the shipping status before my earlier post - still no response.

I will wait a few more days and bug my building staff, but if the dock does not arrive soon CS will get another email, and I will probably post here as well because at least here i get a response.

So to reiterate, woot and the vendor not entirely at fault, but shipping information and tracking numbers would really have helped avoid this frustration.

ThunderThighs wrote:Well, it's the 6th day after the sale anyway which is one day longer than we like to see. You might drop an email to support@woot.com so they can look into it.

manhandsha

Staff

deessedivinee wrote:Update on this situation - still no tracking information from woot, and no luck trying the search by reference number (or order number) as suggested elsewhere. In other news, the tablet did arrive today, but no dock.

I double checked the tracking number from the shipping label, and apparently the tablet was sitting in my building's office since Thursday. So obviously now I am more annoyed with my building managers for not telling me the tablet was here than i am at woot (or the partner vendor) for failing to provide shipping information.

Then again, if i had had the shipping information, i would have known when the tablet arrived despite building management's flaws.

On another note, i had already sent CS an email inquiry about the vendor and the shipping status before my earlier post - still no response.

I will wait a few more days and bug my building staff, but if the dock does not arrive soon CS will get another email, and I will probably post here as well because at least here i get a response.

So to reiterate, woot and the vendor not entirely at fault, but shipping information and tracking numbers would really have helped avoid this frustration.

I'm glad your tablet arrived; but definitely keep us updated on the dock!

vass333

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vass333
deessedivinee wrote:...In other news, the tablet did arrive today, but no dock.

I have the same trouble. I paid on 08/12 and received the tablet only (no dock) on 08/14. The status of the order is "Shipping now". CS wrote by e-mail that they have no tracking info.
I can wait a few days and then will open a PayPal claim

ThunderThighs

Staff

vass333 wrote:I have the same trouble. I paid on 08/12 and received the tablet only (no dock) on 08/14. The status of the order is "Shipping now". CS wrote by e-mail that they have no tracking info.
I can wait a few days and then will open a PayPal claim

The docks shipped separately and from a different warehouse so the items will arrive separately.

FYI: If you open a PayPal claim, it will take longer as we have to go through their process instead of working through you directly.

FORUM MODERATOR

vass333

"...will arrive..." When? Tomorrow, next week or in 2014? From your partner or from Black Hole? Why can not you call your vendor, get an answer from him and give it to your customers?

ThunderThighs

Staff

vass333 wrote:"...will arrive..." When? Tomorrow, next week or in 2014? From your partner or from Black Hole? Why can not you call your vendor, get an answer from him and give it to your customers?

Per the vendor, they completed shipping everything yesterday so you should see a tracking number soon. They've confirmed that there was a delay.

FORUM MODERATOR

vass333

I just got the email from the support. They write: "Sorry to hear that you have not received the keyboard dock. Unfortunately, we do not have the item available."
LOL. The situation becomes funny. I'll wait a couple of days.

deessedivinee

Just got an email from support, saying that tracking information for the dock would be "emailed to you when it becomes available. Kind of difficult to be content with this answer when the tracking number for the tablet was never emailed to me and never posted on my "stuff you bought" page - i only received the tracking number by private message here from ThunderThighs.

Maybe the forum mods can continue to be more helpful and responsive than CS?

vass333 wrote:I just got the email from the support. They write: "Sorry to hear that you have not received the keyboard dock. Unfortunately, we do not have the item available."
LOL. The situation becomes funny. I'll wait a couple of days.

payearsley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages payearsley

I got my tablet yesterday DOA. I cannot even turn the thing on. I also did not get the dock and was told to wait until the 23rd to email if I have not gotten it. I am showing that my order status is shipped so that means to me that I should have two tracking numbers if the dock and tablet were to ship at different times. If I do not have any information on this by Friday at end of business I will be disputing the charge at my bank

ThunderThighs

Staff

payearsley wrote:I got my tablet yesterday DOA. I cannot even turn the thing on. I also did not get the dock and was told to wait until the 23rd to email if I have not gotten it. I am showing that my order status is shipped so that means to me that I should have two tracking numbers if the dock and tablet were to ship at different times. If I do not have any information on this by Friday at end of business I will be disputing the charge at my bank

Before you give up, I always recommend that you charge electronics a full 24 hours before turning them on. They tend to ship with completely drained batteries for safety reasons. And you can't charge tablets from your computer. They have to charge via a wall adapter. If that fails, email support@woot.com.

As I mentioned above, we have been informed that all the orders shipped out as of yesterday. There was a confirmed delay.

You are free to dispute charges but realize that it will slow down the process. Once you do that, we can no longer work with you directly to resolve the issue. We have to follow the process of your card/bank.

FORUM MODERATOR