WootBot


quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Desktops, Monitors & Printers

Man, if we had all this sweet computer stuff we wouldn't need to come into the office all the time. In fact... [sound of car door closing, wheels screeching] Ahhhhhh this is so much better. What were we talking about? Piña coladas? 

Toynbert


quality posts: 3 Private Messages Toynbert

The $579 HP is the best deal on a desktop on woot right now. Don't understand why the more expensive HP is more expensive.
Just got my Dad an xps with similar specs but 100 more, and I thought that was a great deal.

Stupid should hurt.

cjsutherland


quality posts: 4 Private Messages cjsutherland
Toynbert wrote:The 579 HP is the best deal on a desktop on woot right now. Don't understand why the more expensive HP is more expensive.
Just got my Dad an xps with similar specs but 100 more, and I thought that was a great deal.



You are right. Great deal for that processor and RAM combo. GPU is lacking but that is almost always the case with these pre builds.

The following is good:

HP Pavilion P7-1539 Desktop, AMD Trinity A10-5800k Quad-Core 3.8GHz, 12GB DDR3, 1TB SATA, USB 3.0, Eyefinity Radeon HD 7570D, Beats Audio, 802.11n, Win 8

Top of the line of the last generation APU's. Not sure why they put a dedicated GPU in this that is only slightly better than the integrated graphics of the APU. Take that out and drop the price $25-$50 and it would be a STEAL.

davirom


quality posts: 10 Private Messages davirom

I need a machine I can wipe and install Win7 32 bit (so I can run 16 bit programs) (don't ask). Any idea how difficult it would be to find drivers for this box?

ibom


quality posts: 4 Private Messages ibom

Which one is the 579?
Debating on which pc to get.
I was set on the envy 1534 but now Im looking at the pavilion 1539.. Not sure anymore.
Look for something under 500..

cjsutherland


quality posts: 4 Private Messages cjsutherland
ibom wrote:Which one is the 579?
Debating on which pc to get.
I was set on the envy 1534 but now Im looking at the pavilion 1539.. Not sure anymore.
Look for something under 500..



The "579" was referring to the price...not the model #.

cjsutherland


quality posts: 4 Private Messages cjsutherland
ibom wrote:Which one is the 579?
Debating on which pc to get.
I was set on the envy 1534 but now Im looking at the pavilion 1539.. Not sure anymore.
Look for something under 500..



I would get the 1539. Cheaper. More RAM. Smaller Power Supply but both are too small to do any sort of real expansion on the current build.

I thought he FX chip would fare much better in a side by side benchmark...but it did not. Only outperforming it in multithreaded applications (and not by much). Here are two links:

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/AMD-FX-6200-vs-AMD-A10-5800K

http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/383/AMD_A10-Series_A10-5800K_vs_AMD_FX-Series_FX-6200.html

The 1539 just has that dedicated GPU for almost no reason. Yes, it is slightly better than the integrated graphics on the A10-5800K but not enough to warrant paying for it's inclusion IMO. Basically a waste...but even with that it is a good computer.

lorenzodemedici


quality posts: 36 Private Messages lorenzodemedici
davirom wrote:I need a machine I can wipe and install Win7 32 bit (so I can run 16 bit programs) (don't ask). Any idea how difficult it would be to find drivers for this box?



Don't know which exact computer you're talking about since they have several. I did read an article about installing Win 7 on a Win 8 machine and getting drivers that will work with all the hardware was one of the more difficult parts. You'll get no support from HP. There are still some pretty good new Win 7 machines for sale, that might be a better option.

lorenzodemedici


quality posts: 36 Private Messages lorenzodemedici
Toynbert wrote:The 579 HP is the best deal on a desktop on woot right now. Don't understand why the more expensive HP is more expensive.
Just got my Dad an xps with similar specs but 100 more, and I thought that was a great deal.



The HP H8 1417c is the one for $649 and the H8 1513c is the one for $579. They are almost identical machines. All the specs are the same EXCEPT the following:

The 1417c is from Sept 2012 and the 1513c is from Jan 2013.

HP lists the 1417c as a US model and the 1513c as a Canada model.

They have different video cards. Both are inexpensive cards that sell for about $60. The performance ratings of the two cards are very similar with the Radeon card minimally higher. Unlikely to see any real difference in video performance between the two cards.

The supplied software is slightly different; the 1513c comes with Photoshop Elements 10 which is a nice program that isn't supplied on the 1417c.

Unless there's some issue with the 1513c being a Canada model, I can't see a reason to buy the more expensive one.

wooowoot


quality posts: 0 Private Messages wooowoot

RE: the HP OfficeJet 4620. With this hooked up to PC, can I fax a document to an outside fax machine without printing that document first? Also, if not hooked up to PC, will this function as a traditional stand-alone fax machine? Good solution for me if it'll do both.

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 547 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Just a recommendation since we have a lot of offers this week....

If you're asking a question about a specific computer, could you please link to that computer's sale page?

Signed,

A weary mod



Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

redbicycle


quality posts: 0 Private Messages redbicycle

hmmm...does anyone think i can run Autocad on any of these?

iGGz


quality posts: 7 Private Messages iGGz
redbicycle wrote:hmmm...does anyone think i can run Autocad on any of these?



Here, you tell me:
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=15412189&linkID=9240617

_____________________________________________

i am woot's god.

You're the giant Ken Jennings head? HOW DID YOU GET OUT?

edma8553


quality posts: 0 Private Messages edma8553

Anyone have any info on this monitor. It seems like a great deal, but I have never heard of this brand and I am nervous. Any info on it would be appreciated.

AOC I2367FH-B 23" 1080p IPS LED

merrillian


quality posts: 0 Private Messages merrillian

Review for the http://sellout.woot.com/offers/aoc-27-1080p-ips-led-monitor-w-2-hdmi-3

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2412690,00.asp

It is very tempting for the price, size, color, ips

rolly5019


quality posts: 0 Private Messages rolly5019

Anyone figure out the difference between these computers? I am contemplating buying the $649 cause the other one is sold out, but don't want to make a $70 mistake and might wait

lorenzodemedici wrote:The HP H8 1417c is the one for $649 and the H8 1513c is the one for $579. They are almost identical machines. All the specs are the same EXCEPT the following:

The 1417c is from Sept 2012 and the 1513c is from Jan 2013.

HP lists the 1417c as a US model and the 1513c as a Canada model.

They have different video cards. Both are inexpensive cards that sell for about $60. The performance ratings of the two cards are very similar with the Radeon card minimally higher. Unlikely to see any real difference in video performance between the two cards.

The supplied software is slightly different; the 1513c comes with Photoshop Elements 10 which is a nice program that isn't supplied on the 1417c.

Unless there's some issue with the 1513c being a Canada model, I can't see a reason to buy the more expensive one.



cjsutherland


quality posts: 4 Private Messages cjsutherland
merrillian wrote:Review for the http://sellout.woot.com/offers/aoc-27-1080p-ips-led-monitor-w-2-hdmi-3

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2412690,00.asp

It is very tempting for the price, size, color, ips



I bought mine from here a few weeks ago. I LOVE the monitor.

cjsutherland


quality posts: 4 Private Messages cjsutherland
rolly5019 wrote:Anyone figure out the difference between these computers? I am contemplating buying the $649 cause the other one is sold out, but don't want to make a $70 mistake and might wait



Based on the Woot stats the $579 is actually SUPERIOR IMO. Same everything with a slightly better GPU and slightly better wireless card. They have the same motherboard (and everything else really).

Wow...there is NO reason to get the more expensive one.

lorenzodemedici


quality posts: 36 Private Messages lorenzodemedici
rolly5019 wrote:Anyone figure out the difference between these computers? I am contemplating buying the $649 cause the other one is sold out, but don't want to make a $70 mistake and might wait



I think I gave you a line by line explanation of the difference between the two computers, which you quoted. There's nothing else to say, unless you want to know what day of the week the computer was made. It's no longer relevant since enough people figured out that the cheaper one was the one to buy, and it's sold out. The one for $649 is the one I bought a few months ago, and it's a fine computer. Still a good deal with no sales tax and $5 shipping.

People wondering about the AOC IPS monitors - they are excellent. IPS refers to "In Plane Switching", which is a description of the LC molecular layers and the electric fields applied to them. IPS is superior to "TN" (twisted nematic) used in common inexpensive LCD panels. IPS panels have much better visibility from different viewing angles, especially vertical, more accurate and consistent color display, and more rapid response times.

cjsutherland


quality posts: 4 Private Messages cjsutherland
lorenzodemedici wrote:I think I gave you a line by line explanation of the difference between the two computers, which you quoted. There's nothing else to say, unless you want to know what day of the week the computer was made. It's no longer relevant since enough people figured out that the cheaper one was the one to buy, and it's sold out. The one for $649 is the one I bought a few months ago, and it's a fine computer. Still a good deal with no sales tax and $5 shipping.

People wondering about the AOC IPS monitors - they are excellent. IPS refers to "In Plane Switching", which is a description of the LC molecular layers and the electric fields applied to them. IPS is superior to "TN" (twisted nematic) used in common inexpensive LCD panels. IPS panels have much better visibility from different viewing angles, especially vertical, more accurate and consistent color display, and more rapid response times.



Great article for anyone looking to see the differences between computer monitor technology.

http://reviews.cnet.com/monitor-buying-guide/

sirbinks


quality posts: 0 Private Messages sirbinks
edma8553 wrote:Anyone have any info on this monitor. It seems like a great deal, but I have never heard of this brand and I am nervous. Any info on it would be appreciated.

AOC I2367FH-B 23" 1080p IPS LED



Just going to throw another recommendation for the brand out there. I got a refurb AOC LED monitor from woot a few months back. I was a tad leery at buying a brand I had never heard of too, but I absolutely love it.

mikejules74123


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mikejules74123
edma8553 wrote:Anyone have any info on this monitor. It seems like a great deal, but I have never heard of this brand and I am nervous. Any info on it would be appreciated.

AOC I2367FH-B 23" 1080p IPS LED



I bought this monitor from woot last week. Obviously it's still a small sample size but it has been great so far. Shipped pretty fast and was easy to set up. The color is clear and crisp. The controls to tinker with the color are bit of an annoyance but not really to the point of being an issue.

nothingxs


quality posts: 1 Private Messages nothingxs

Anyone have any idea if the AOC 27" I2757FH monitor has any input lag issues? It doesn't have a DVI port, but two HDMI ports, which is kind of weird.

cjsutherland


quality posts: 4 Private Messages cjsutherland
nothingxs wrote:Anyone have any idea if the AOC 27" I2757FH monitor has any input lag issues? It doesn't have a DVI port, but two HDMI ports, which is kind of weird.



So far so great for the 27" from my end.

You can get a DVI to HDMI cable for about $5 on Amazon.

GGA1759


quality posts: 3 Private Messages GGA1759

A lot of graphic cards come with a DVI to HDMI adapter, unless your computer was prebuilt.

cjsutherland wrote:So far so great for the 27" from my end.

You can get a DVI to HDMI cable for about $5 on Amazon.



cjsutherland


quality posts: 4 Private Messages cjsutherland
GGA1759 wrote:A lot of graphic cards come with a DVI to HDMI adapter, unless your computer was prebuilt.



The last card I bought was a GTX 660 and I don't honestly remember if it came with one. Good to know though. Thanks.

colinchout


quality posts: 1 Private Messages colinchout

Can anyone point out the advances of these IPS monitors Vs other reg.LED monitors ?

I'm currently using a 27"Samsung LED monitor (not an IPS) to pair with the HP CPU purchased here not long ago .

Will the different be that obvious when using an IPS monitor?

cjsutherland


quality posts: 4 Private Messages cjsutherland
colinchout wrote:Can anyone point out the advances of these IPS monitors Vs other reg.LED monitors ?

I'm currently using a 27"Samsung LED monitor (not an IPS) to pair with the HP CPU purchased here not long ago .

Will the different be that obvious when using an IPS monitor?



http://reviews.cnet.com/monitor-buying-guide/

ivieg8


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ivieg8

To anyone considering the HP deskjet 3520, I just bought it when it was featured, well, I am not happy with the product t say the least.

rsinps


quality posts: 1 Private Messages rsinps

I just got a cheap HP desktop and IOC monitor for my son's business. No high end computing involved - just business and online use.

Both the PC and the monitor came with the original protective plastic and both look brand new. They work great and I couldn't be happier for the price.

I am now wondering why I spent so much for my Dell desktop when I use it for pretty much the same thing.

ozzallos


quality posts: 4 Private Messages ozzallos

Still the same advisory from the last HP roundup-- great as-is computers, not upgrade friendly.

No mounting provisions for extra internal devices such as another HDD, barely adequate 300w PSU with the bare minimum of cable runs that probably wont reach to what you're plugging in to anyway, only SATA plugs with no 6 pin plug for graphics cards. Picky BIOS that you'll need to tweak to run the graphics card.

If your idea of an upgrade is simply throwing in more RAM, you're g2g!

woothefunk


quality posts: 0 Private Messages woothefunk

I can has WQHD 27 inch monitor? No I can't ..... Back to migraine inducing 1080p scaling from my rMBP

maelind


quality posts: 0 Private Messages maelind

How can I tell if my computer is compatible with a touch screen monitor? Or that the touch screen I choose is compatible with my computer?

thanks!

nothingxs


quality posts: 1 Private Messages nothingxs
cjsutherland wrote:So far so great for the 27" from my end.

You can get a DVI to HDMI cable for about $5 on Amazon.



This doesn't tell me much. I need to know if the monitor lags more or less than a comparable monitor of a smaller size, like the ASUS VH236H.

I play fighting games and timing-sensitive games, you see, so even a frame of input lag is an issue.

cjsutherland


quality posts: 4 Private Messages cjsutherland
nothingxs wrote:This doesn't tell me much. I need to know if the monitor lags more or less than a comparable monitor of a smaller size, like the ASUS VH236H.

I play fighting games and timing-sensitive games, you see, so even a frame of input lag is an issue.



Well if that is your main concern I would stay away from IPS monitors as a whole.

Positives of IPS: Viewing angles and true color.

Negatives of IPS: "Deepness" of black and input lag/response time.

I would stick with TN if response time/input lag are your primary concerns. The one you listed for comparison is TN. (with a 2ms response time)

The 22" (not listed IPS), 20", and 19" selling now on Woot should all be TN (but I've checked and they are 5ms response time...the same as the IPS models on here). Read the article I posted in here for more information if you are not familar with the types of monitors (TN, IPS, etc.)

lorenzodemedici


quality posts: 36 Private Messages lorenzodemedici
nothingxs wrote:This doesn't tell me much. I need to know if the monitor lags more or less than a comparable monitor of a smaller size, like the ASUS VH236H.

I play fighting games and timing-sensitive games, you see, so even a frame of input lag is an issue.



see above

quote from article Mr. Sutherland referenced:

"The main advantages of TN panels are their fast -- usually 2ms (or less) -- response time and their low price. Their major disadvantages are narrow viewing angles, relatively low brightness, and inaccurate color reproduction."

cjsutherland


quality posts: 4 Private Messages cjsutherland
maelind wrote:How can I tell if my computer is compatible with a touch screen monitor? Or that the touch screen I choose is compatible with my computer?

thanks!



What computer do you have? What operating system?

aml65


quality posts: 0 Private Messages aml65

Here I go again. About a month ago I ordered the refurbished OfficeJet 8620 from Woot. I spent a week trying to get it working. The paper jammed at the same spot every time. Last week, I wrote Woot and asked for contact information from Image Microsystems that they could repair it under their warranty. Instead the customer service rep told me they hand nothing to replace it with, and gave me an RMA number to return it with.

So now, in under a week, there are more. Its still at the same price, and I still need a printer. What are the chances both will arrive broken?

maelind


quality posts: 0 Private Messages maelind
cjsutherland wrote:What computer do you have? What operating system?



I'm looking at the HP 1417C. OS is Windows 8.

cjsutherland


quality posts: 4 Private Messages cjsutherland
maelind wrote:I'm looking at the HP 1417C. OS is Windows 8.



You are most definitely compatible.

Touch screens are pricey though.