WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Computer Lab

Professors are so stodgy. They insist that papers be "typed" on a "computer," that they be "factually accurate" and that they are not "copied directly from the internet." When will those old stick-in-the-muds finally get with the times? 

lorenzodemedici

quality posts: 36 Private Messages lorenzodemedici

The Toshiba 750GB external HDD is a very nice item. Compact and USB powered so you don't need a power supply, just the one cable does it all. Great price too.

craig616

quality posts: 5 Private Messages craig616

Good deal for a sony with Blu-ray, decent Ram screaming processor. Wish I had the bucks for this one, for my daughter to go to school. Oh well, next time for sure!
Thanx!

Ninkumpoop

quality posts: 27 Private Messages Ninkumpoop

FYI. If you buy the machine with the wireless mouse and keyboard, don't expect anything good from the mouse and keyboard. Just purchased a similar machine from WOot with the same accessories and they are unusable. Drops connection all the time, mouse only tracks about 75% of the time, keystrokes aren't logged, extra keystrokes appear out of the ether.

colinchout

quality posts: 2 Private Messages colinchout

This very similar 27' AOC monitor at Mothership is same price and NEW / free shipping .

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CMKOVPQ/ref=pe_357390_31529580_pe_epc__1p_3_ti

patjohnmartin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages patjohnmartin
colinchout wrote:This very similar 27' AOC monitor at Mothership is same price and NEW / free shipping .

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CMKOVPQ/ref=pe_357390_31529580_pe_epc__1p_3_ti

Keep in mind that the monitor linked is a TFT Panel and not an IPS Panel.

kerry4000

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kerry4000

I am looking at the Sony but "VGP-BPS26 Lithium-Ion Battery" doesn't tell me about how long the battery will last. I need something with 4 hours at lest. Has anyone had this one and gotten 4+ hours of life from battery??

patjohnmartin

kerry4000 wrote:I am looking at the Sony but "VGP-BPS26 Lithium-Ion Battery" doesn't tell me about how long the battery will last. I need something with 4 hours at lest. Has anyone had this one and gotten 4+ hours of life from battery??

The average rated battery life for that particular laptop is 2 hours. When choosing a product that has a higher battery life, you have to consider two important constraints. The first, being how much power is required to operate the device (this varies drastically based on the type of usage as well) and the second being the capacity of the battery (the milliampere hour or "mAh"). In short, a higher capacity battery may provide better battery life, but may not provide enough for your use depending on what you wish to accomplish while using it. Also to note, the battery is Lithium Ion (most common make and used battery type, also denoted as Li-Ion), which is prone to degradation over time and use.

Tiamat114

quality posts: 48 Private Messages Tiamat114

I don't know how much of a deal they are but I bought a pair of the Gunnar Optiks Talon Advanced Computer/Gaming Eyewear - Tortoise glasses the last time they were offered. I really like them a lot. I think I paid the same price for them.

I have photosensitivity problems where too much bright light gives me a screaming headache among other things and these are a great help to me. Even if you don't, if you spend a long time staring a TV or computer screen, they are way worth it.

vash2019

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vash2019

The Toshiba seems like a steal. How come it hasn't sold out yet? Do ye gurus have any opinions on it?

Would this quad-core machine be comparable enough to stave off tech-envy once Haswell chips roll out across the market?

aznballer735

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aznballer735

FOR Toshiba HDTC607XK3A1 Canvio 3.0 750GB Portable External USB 3.0 Hard Drive with Preloaded Backup Software
1/8 chance to fail in 1st yr or less

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Canvio-Portable-Hard-Drive/product-reviews/B005J7YBOU/ref=cm_cr_pr_hist_1?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addOneStar&showViewpoints=0

http://us.toshiba.com/computers/storage/portable/canvio-3/HDTC607XK3A1

IamPopeye

quality posts: 3 Private Messages IamPopeye

I bought 2x the G-Form Extreme sleeves for 10" tablets to go with the 2x Samsung Note 10.1 tablets...

These can be put in the G-Form sleeve, but it is really a bit small. It is definitely hard to zip up and the cushion flaps that should buffer the zipper end cannot really be pulled up and over the edge and then still be able to zip closed.

I'm going to try restitching the far end a little further towards the trim edge (turn the sleeve inside out and there is the sewn seam. After resewing this I'll clip the original seam and see if the gives it the extra room needed.

Cheers,
Popeye

IamPopeye

quality posts: 3 Private Messages IamPopeye
IamPopeye wrote:I bought 2x the G-Form Extreme sleeves for 10" tablets to go with the 2x Samsung Note 10.1 tablets...

So, if you have a tablet larger than an iPad, you might look at the Extreme Sleeve 2, it measures 1/2" larger so will hopefully fit better than the original Extreme Sleeve.

Ninkumpoop

quality posts: 27 Private Messages Ninkumpoop

Looks like everyone and their brother is undercutting Woot on the 750GB hdd.

Walmart and Amazon by a penny, with free pick-up/prime shipping.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/17654757?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227000000000&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=21486607510&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=19880599990&veh=sem

Model numbers don't match, but the specs match.

patjohnmartin

Ninkumpoop wrote:Looks like everyone and their brother is undercutting Woot on the 750GB hdd.

Walmart and Amazon by a penny, with free pick-up/prime shipping.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/17654757?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227000000000&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=21486607510&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=19880599990&veh=sem

Model numbers don't match, but the specs match.

Just to clarify, the model numbers do match. Also, the other websites you mentioned only undercut Woot by a few pennies. Keep in mind that Amazon Prime costs a yearly subscription and that in-store pickup requires time and a source of transportation (expending of resources).

johnt007871

quality posts: 8 Private Messages johnt007871

The scientific calulator seems cheap, if you are already buying something and have kids, grab those for standardized tests.

techkyle

quality posts: 2 Private Messages techkyle

I didn't have luck with the HP printer last time (stuck in French, never went through setup properly and wouldn't accept the special first-time-use cartridges), but the previously offered one was refurbished whereas this is new. Reviews on the web seem to indicate that it's a good printer if it works, so the 1 year warranty through HP might make this a more attractive deal.

slz254

quality posts: 5 Private Messages slz254
lorenzodemedici wrote:The Toshiba 750GB external HDD is a very nice item. Compact and USB powered so you don't need a power supply, just the one cable does it all. Great price too.

Do you have experience with that external drive? The one USB 3.0 drive I have (an iOmega eGo) was rendered basically useless because the connection between the chord and the drive went screwy somehow. I don't see any broken pins in either the cable or the drive, and I even replaced the cable. If I hold the cable in, it works fine, the minute I let go of the cable, it disconnects.

I found a drive from Buffalo that has the cable somehow integrated into the drive (or the connection is protected at least). It was 1 TB and cost $129.

I could use another external drive and I'm considering this one. I'd love to hear about anyone's experience with it.

colinchout

quality posts: 2 Private Messages colinchout
patjohnmartin wrote:Keep in mind that the monitor linked is a TFT Panel and not an IPS Panel.

Oops.
They are NOT the same ,indeed.
My apology .

xxtermin8rxxx

quality posts: 3 Private Messages xxtermin8rxxx

This is a very good deal for anyone looking for a cheap replacement or extra laptop. Can't complain. Toshiba, although sometimes you gotta be wary of quality these days, used to churn out consistently high-quality products. They still do, if you compare to Dell or HP.

FreePlayPSP

quality posts: 4 Private Messages FreePlayPSP

IIRC, the Polaroid tablets cannot use the Google Play Store, so be aware of that if you want to get one.

MastaJ11

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MastaJ11

For the Toshiba laptop, what does factory reconditioned mean?

manhandsha

quality posts: 34 Private Messages manhandsha

Staff

MastaJ11 wrote:For the Toshiba laptop, what does factory reconditioned mean?

This means the unit was returned, inspected, and restored to fully working condition by the original manufacturer or a certified partner. It's about as close to new as can be without actually being 'new'. This laptop also has a 90 Day Toshiba warranty included. Hope that helps!

Have a question about your order or account? Click here to contact Woot Member Services.

digrick

quality posts: 0 Private Messages digrick

I ordered the Toshiba laptop a couple of days ago. Any idea when this will ship? Also, when I click the "stuff you bought" link, it says i haven't bought anything yet, even though I got an order confirmation after purchasing.

randy1215

quality posts: 0 Private Messages randy1215

Well, it is much more difficult to write a paper nowadays with the ability of professor's to detect unoriginal content. In my day,(the 1980's) you cold get away with paraphrasing passages. Most Universities consider paraphrasing to be plagiarism. That is the "official" line coming out of Ivy League schools such as Harvard.
While it is better to read your source, close the book and write from memory, using your own ability to use the knowledge you have gained to write original sentences, it can be very difficult for many students to do. This is due largely to poor reading comprehension levels which has a component of a lack short term memory.
Other students are ESL (English as a Second Language) and I do feel for them. It is difficult for many to even write a rough draft that makes sense. This is where editing services come in handy. If a student can express enough of an idea, concept, or theory, a good editor can wordsmith the draft and come out with a good paper.
This begs the question, "But how will a poor writer learn to write?"
That is a good question. Though through practice one can improve his writing ability, by the time one reaches college age, it is do or die time. Colleges and Universities expect their students, whether ESL or not, to write coherently.
This puts the student in a quandary. He must now decide if he really wants to learn to write or does he just want to get a degree. There are plenty of people out there who will write papers for a price. There are also legitimate editors who can do deep editing. Providing original content can be tricky so the demand for paper writers seems to be quite strong. It is a thin line between heavy editing and writing the paper for the student. Many students prefer to have the paper written for them, from scratch. Other students would never dream of letting someone else write their paper. I belonged in the latter category. It never even occurred to me in college to have someone else write my paper. This was due to my confidence in my own writing ability. I am fortunate that writing comes easy for me. But, for those form whom it does not, I do feel for them. Coherent writing is a necessary skill in most any white collar job.

cjsutherland

quality posts: 4 Private Messages cjsutherland

I received my 27 inch monitor today and I love it. Replaced a 22 in LCD I bought in 2008. The color and brightness are nice.

megannicole87

quality posts: 0 Private Messages megannicole87

Is this a decent laptop and since it's refurbished, does it go through a similar thing like Apple?

manhandsha

quality posts: 34 Private Messages manhandsha

Staff

megannicole87 wrote:Is this a decent laptop and since it's refurbished, does it go through a similar thing like Apple?

Are you asking about the Toshiba?

Have a question about your order or account? Click here to contact Woot Member Services.

lmsieu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lmsieu
manhandsha wrote:This means the unit was returned, inspected, and restored to fully working condition by the original manufacturer or a certified partner. It's about as close to new as can be without actually being 'new'. This laptop also has a 90 Day Toshiba warranty included. Hope that helps!

It looks like Encore did the refurb. They have 20 years+

I received my Toshiba 15.6" Core i7 Laptop w/ 12GB RAM, and it has been shutting itself off and freezing. I sent an RMA request to Woot and they answered by back very quickly with same. However my Toshiba booted up this AM with a message that there were some updates that needed to be installed so I'm hoping that the freeze/shutdown problem will be corrected by these updates. We'll see.... otherwise very happy with this laptop. Anyone else having the same issue with this particular model?

Lily
and the dog.

lmsieu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lmsieu
lmsieu wrote:It looks like Encore did the refurb. They have 20 years+

I received my Toshiba 15.6" Core i7 Laptop w/ 12GB RAM, and it has been shutting itself off and freezing. I sent an RMA request to Woot and they answered by back very quickly with same. However my Toshiba booted up this AM with a message that there were some updates that needed to be installed so I'm hoping that the freeze/shutdown problem will be corrected by these updates. We'll see.... otherwise very happy with this laptop. Anyone else having the same issue with this particular model?

PROBLEM: Windows 8 shutting itself off and/or rebooting.
SOLUTION: http://www.reviversoft.com/blog/2013/01/shutdown-restart-errors/

Basically I disabled the fast start.
___________UPDATE August 20, 2013 _____________
Laptop is freezing. Will decide today to execute or not the RMA. I'm really bummed! I love this laptop otherwise!

Lily
and the dog.