WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Home/Dorm Theater

You know what sucks about dorm rooms? TOO MUCH SPACE! Seriously, what do you do to FILL IT ALL? You pack a bunch of giant TVs and gear in there, that's what! So buy a TV! Or 20! It's not like you don't have the space!

Quality Posts

crystaldragon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages crystaldragon

Anyone use the Simple TV DVR? Especially with a Roku? I'm curious about how well it works - do you have basic cable or do you use a free-to-air antenna?

lorenzodemedici

quality posts: 36 Private Messages lorenzodemedici

I have the Pinnacle PS 225 subwoofer and it's a good product, I haven't got the sound quite right yet with my front speakers but I haven't spent enough time with it to blame the equipment. For a large room I don't think one is quite enough, so I'm ordering a second one. I think the low bass will be more balanced and less directional with a left and right subwoofer. So, it's like, why don't you have full range front speakers? Well, I do, but adding 450 watts of amp power for the low bass output is going to reduce the work that my AV receiver and my front speakers have to do. Hopefully it will work out.

Looking at the Yamaha and the Sony receivers, they are both 2011 models and mainly lack the internet connectivity features that the 2013 models have. If you don't need a network capable receiver, they're otherwise pretty similar to the new models. Both have good reviews. The Yamaha is refurbished and the Sony is new, so that might be something to consider. The Yamaha is still available new on Amazon (only 12 left) for $230.

tbarclay2

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tbarclay2

Just bought the Sharp HT-SB600. Any love for that system? Looked around on the net for a bit, found pretty average to good reviews (3.5 of 5). Im just looking for something to boost the terrible "speakers" that they put inside my 55" tv.

pinnaclespeakers

quality posts: 88 Private Messages pinnaclespeakers

Hi. Arin with Pinnacle Speakers customer support Team leader here to assist with any questions. Pinnacle is celebrating our 37th year as a USA owned and operated private family owned company. So, we are real people with really amazing products. Feel free to ask any questions and I am quite sure I can address them. Thanks.

drscarecrow

quality posts: 0 Private Messages drscarecrow

Re: Hisense 50K360 50"

I can't find this product anywhere reliable. It's not at Walmart, Amazon, Newegg, etc.

I have, however, seen reviews for the 55" version and as far as I can see it's getting good reviews (good ratings from a large number of people).

Miiiight be in for one.

EDIT: In for one. I've taken crazier risks with electronics/my money.

I'll have to come back here when I get it and use it to post a quick review.

I just say, "THIS IS MY BOOMSTICK!"

cosmicpea

quality posts: 3 Private Messages cosmicpea
crystaldragon wrote:Anyone use the Simple TV DVR? Especially with a Roku? I'm curious about how well it works - do you have basic cable or do you use a free-to-air antenna?

CNET says it's for over-the-air and you need a suitable antenna. Also says it's pretty limited and buggy, which would explain why it never caught on and they're now hard to find -- it's probably been discontinued. $149.99 is the list price so no bargain here. I'd wait for them to come out with a newer version.

ctapley99

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ctapley99
cosmicpea wrote:CNET says it's for over-the-air and you need a suitable antenna. Also says it's pretty limited and buggy, which would explain why it never caught on and they're now hard to find -- it's probably been discontinued. $149.99 is the list price so no bargain here. I'd wait for them to come out with a newer version.

$149.99 is the list price with no subscription I believe. Looks like it is normally $300 for the unit + lifetime subscription. Or am I missing something?

daddymcfatback

quality posts: 0 Private Messages daddymcfatback

Can anyone tell me if 50" K360 Series has MHL support? I found this spec page that said the 46" one supports it but there's no option for a 50" one so I'm not sure I have the right model.

MonicaOrth

quality posts: 2 Private Messages MonicaOrth

I was wondering how easy/hard it would be to swap hard drives on the Simple TV DVR and if it would use USB Thumb Drives as well as USB Hard Drives? It'd be nice to be able to record each nights shows onto different thumb drives to take with me to watch during my commute.

atltv

quality posts: 0 Private Messages atltv
crystaldragon wrote:Anyone use the Simple TV DVR? Especially with a Roku? I'm curious about how well it works - do you have basic cable or do you use a free-to-air antenna?

I have a Simple.TV box and it works great. I've hooked it up using FTA antenna (Mohu)and it picks up about 25 stations in Atlanta. Prior to the FTA antenna, I plugged SimpleTV into the cable jack in my home and I received the same channels the antenna now gives me. As for Roku connection, it works great as well. Just go to their online store and find the SimpleTV app and watch FTA channels on your tv. I really like this product, streaming to my iPad is awesome!

atltv

MonicaOrth wrote:I was wondering how easy/hard it would be to swap hard drives on the Simple TV DVR and if it would use USB Thumb Drives as well as USB Hard Drives? It'd be nice to be able to record each nights shows onto different thumb drives to take with me to watch during my commute.

I haven't tried using a thumb drive, but I don't think it' designed for "hot swapping". On my commute, I simply stream my recording to my iPad over the LTE network. It's pretty amazing. I read that down the road, the folks at Simple will allow you to transfer recordings from the attached hard drive to your iPad, tablet or phone.

dliidlii

quality posts: 33 Private Messages dliidlii

Simple TV was reviewed by CNET. Video quality,especially for sports, was not good. See the video review link below.

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-video-recorders-dvrs/simple-tv/4505-6474_7-35118119.html

atltv

dliidlii wrote:SIMPLE TV CNET REVIEW.NOT IMPRESSED WITH VIDEO QUALITY, ESPECIALLY FOR WATCHING SPORTS. VIEW THE VIDEO REVIEW IN LINK.

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-video-recorders-dvrs/simple-tv/4505-6474_7-35118119.html

I read that shortly after it came out...which was along time ago. I think Simple has made a lot of improvements, because the video quality is excellent on my pc, iPad and Galaxy4 phone.

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

dliidlii wrote:SIMPLE TV CNET REVIEW.NOT IMPRESSED WITH VIDEO QUALITY, ESPECIALLY FOR WATCHING SPORTS. VIEW THE VIDEO REVIEW IN LINK.

were you worried the internet wouldn't hear you?

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

MonicaOrth

quality posts: 2 Private Messages MonicaOrth
atltv wrote:I haven't tried using a thumb drive, but I don't think it' designed for "hot swapping". On my commute, I simply stream my recording to my iPad over the LTE network. It's pretty amazing. I read that down the road, the folks at Simple will allow you to transfer recordings from the attached hard drive to your iPad, tablet or phone.

Where I commute... on the Train... there is so little 3G let alone 4G coverage from any provider that streaming video is not an option... Oh well!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 555 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

daddymcfatback wrote:Can anyone tell me if 50" K360 Series has MHL support? I found this spec page that said the 46" one supports it but there's no option for a 50" one so I'm not sure I have the right model.

Confirmed that this does not support MHL.

In other news, I learned what MHL is. Thank you!

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

Adelas

quality posts: 11 Private Messages Adelas

That Samsung SMARTTV is Fan-freaking-tastic. We just wanted to upgrade our TV (we don't have this size nor the gesture detection but it is otherwise the same thing) and loved the color vibrance and contrast on it, and the smart tv thing was an afterthought. We figured it was a nifty gadgety thing that we wouldn't use.

We watch stuff on youtube (without everyone crowding around someone's laptop or desktop)*, stream from Amazon Prime (they also have Hulu and Netflix apps in the TV), and play music via Pandora.

I'm sure this sounds like a #hailcorporate type post, but if I had a need for a second TV in my home, I would absolutely get this TV again. The price here is *okay*, not eye-popping, but if you're wondering whether the tv is good, it is.

*PS, one bad thing: sound on youtube videos cut out a few seconds early most of the time, and the other apps that I haven't mentioned are useless.

shminkshmink

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shminkshmink
tbarclay2 wrote:Just bought the Sharp HT-SB600. Any love for that system? Looked around on the net for a bit, found pretty average to good reviews (3.5 of 5). Im just looking for something to boost the terrible "speakers" that they put inside my 55" tv.

I have it and bought it from WOOT. One of the best purchases I have made. So many HDMI inputs and it rocks my bedroom. Best system you can buy for the money.

marq45

quality posts: 0 Private Messages marq45
lorenzodemedici wrote:I have the Pinnacle PS 225 subwoofer and it's a good product, I haven't got the sound quite right yet with my front speakers but I haven't spent enough time with it to blame the equipment. For a large room I don't think one is quite enough, so I'm ordering a second one. I think the low bass will be more balanced and less directional with a left and right subwoofer. So, it's like, why don't you have full range front speakers? Well, I do, but adding 450 watts of amp power for the low bass output is going to reduce the work that my AV receiver and my front speakers have to do. Hopefully it will work out.

Looking at the Yamaha and the Sony receivers, they are both 2011 models and mainly lack the internet connectivity features that the 2013 models have. If you don't need a network capable receiver, they're otherwise pretty similar to the new models. Both have good reviews. The Yamaha is refurbished and the Sony is new, so that might be something to consider. The Yamaha is still available new on Amazon (only 12 left) for $230.

The Harman Kardon is AWESOME! I Bought it and it is great! I also bought a pioneer and the HK blows it away! I seen nothing but trouble with SONY receivers. they usually last a year or so and then are worthless. Yamaha is like middle of the pack or I would say compromise. But remember it's all about how you use them. watts are `not' what makes it loud! that fool's people. I love my Harman Kardon, but DENON is still the best sounding receivers!enjoy what ever you get, and READ THE DIRECTIONS!!!

killingtime

quality posts: 1 Private Messages killingtime

Tempted to buy blu-ray player as a back up, but known to freeze. Anyone know if the factory reconditioning resolved this common issue?

MichXelle

quality posts: 37 Private Messages MichXelle
Adelas wrote:That Samsung SMARTTV is Fan-freaking-tastic. We just wanted to upgrade our TV (we don't have this size nor the gesture detection but it is otherwise the same thing) and loved the color vibrance and contrast on it, and the smart tv thing was an afterthought. We figured it was a nifty gadgety thing that we wouldn't use.

We watch stuff on youtube (without everyone crowding around someone's laptop or desktop)*, stream from Amazon Prime (they also have Hulu and Netflix apps in the TV), and play music via Pandora.

I'm sure this sounds like a #hailcorporate type post, but if I had a need for a second TV in my home, I would absolutely get this TV again. The price here is *okay*, not eye-popping, but if you're wondering whether the tv is good, it is.

*PS, one bad thing: sound on youtube videos cut out a few seconds early most of the time, and the other apps that I haven't mentioned are useless.

I almost hit buy for our master bedroom & sitting area, but the price isn't doing anything for us.
Were going to a local, discount
Store to comp it out. The size and specs are what we want but we also feel the W000T price should be $800 - $850. We overpaid for a simple 40" Samsung about 2 months ago, not going there again. I love the TV but not the price for WT. We come here for bargains, have bought almost 400 cartfuls now. Not 1 coupon code for many of thousands of dollars spent. The wife speaks her mind and she's smart but I try to shut my mouth if I don't like a product or it's overpriced for here. Thanks for you opinion on the price, I feel the same!

OVER 550 W00T CARTFULS as of 06/25/14. You're killing us with some wonderful items W000T!

OVER 8 years on W00T shopping and The W00T Forum, since 02/06 with now a whopping 34 Quality Posts L-M-A-O! We do post quality information as do others that isn't recognized. Thanks for the 3 in 1 entire week! We're humbled. 3 additional noticed in 3 months. No more positive posts as our are not noticed.

chippedliver

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chippedliver

What is FTA?

atltv wrote:I have a Simple.TV box and it works great. I've hooked it up using FTA antenna (Mohu)and it picks up about 25 stations in Atlanta. Prior to the FTA antenna, I plugged SimpleTV into the cable jack in my home and I received the same channels the antenna now gives me. As for Roku connection, it works great as well. Just go to their online store and find the SimpleTV app and watch FTA channels on your tv. I really like this product, streaming to my iPad is awesome!

manhandsha

quality posts: 34 Private Messages manhandsha

Staff

chippedliver wrote:What is FTA?

FTA is Free to Air. Hopefully someone can jump in and explain a little more about how this works.

Have a question about your order or account? Click here to contact Woot Member Services.

LuckyLoki

quality posts: 1 Private Messages LuckyLoki
manhandsha wrote:FTA is Free to Air. Hopefully someone can jump in and explain a little more about how this works.

I might be wrong, but FTA (free to air) usually refers to free satellite programming (need a dish to receive).

OTA (over the air) is the usual term for tv transmitted by towers and picked up by VHF or UHF antennas.

mickeyrothenberg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mickeyrothenberg

Just grabbed the Affinity 32". After research this seems like a high quality set and the supposed stand mounting problems are not an issue if you read instructions. Looking forward to receiving it. And it is NEW, not re-furbished.

wilburdog

dliidlii

quality posts: 33 Private Messages dliidlii

Never received the Envizen wireless TV or a tracking number. Woot responded to my emails and after now waiting 4 weeks they will refund my payment. I will see how much longer it takes before the refund appears in my account.

Edit:
My PayPal payment to Woot was refunded today as promised.