Thorough review over at engadget.com

lichme

quality posts: 3127 Private Messages lichme

Item: Asus 13.3" Core i7 Zenbook w/ 256GB SSD
Price: $829.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Condition: New

Search Amazon Search Google

Previous Similar Sales (May not be exact model)
6/15/2013 - $879.99 - 31 comment(s)
4/16/2013 - $699.99 - 44 comment(s)

outer78

quality posts: 13 Private Messages outer78

Ouch! who had to dust these bad boys off? 2nd gen CPU's? 4th gen just made it out, your a little behind here.

lol and I was wondering if it had a touch screen. I'm going with nadda!

btw, this is just a dual core i7. most 3rd gen i5's are just as good. Don't let that fool you just because its an i7.

Kev50027

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Kev50027

I have this exact laptop and love it. Once you ditch the bundled software, the thing is seriously fast, has great battery life, excellent speakers, and is still one of the best looking laptops ever made. On the downside, the display's viewing angle isn't that great, and the keyboard takes some getting used to. It's pricey, but this is still a fantastic laptop.

Hoodis

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Hoodis

Is the keyboard backlit?

Kev50027 wrote:I have this exact laptop and love it. Once you ditch the bundled software, the thing is seriously fast, has great battery life, excellent speakers, and is still one of the best looking laptops ever made. On the downside, the display's viewing angle isn't that great, and the keyboard takes some getting used to. It's pricey, but this is still a fantastic laptop.

hellboy999

quality posts: 5 Private Messages hellboy999
outer78 wrote:Ouch! who had to dust these bad boys off? 2nd gen CPU's? 4th gen just made it out, your a little behind here.

lol and I was wondering if it had a touch screen. I'm going with nadda!

Groupon has refurbed zenbook touchs for 779. Here is the link http://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-1-asus-zenbook-ux31a-bhi5t11-ref?utm_campaign=1029&utm_medium=afl&utm_source=GPN&tsToken=US_AFF_0_1029_1327_0&sid=Eq-DvPjaEeKBcP70KdAAXgGOT7_SRZe3_0_0_0

gme814

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gme814

I'd recommend people take a look at the TOSHIBA Satellite S55-A5276 instead. It has a 4th gen i7, instead of the 2nd gen here, 6GB of ram instead of 4GB here, an NVIDIA gpu, instead of Intel's integrated one, 1080 resolution, and its $50 cheaper.

dholmes999

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dholmes999
gme814 wrote:I'd recommend people take a look at the TOSHIBA Satellite S55-A5276 instead. It has a 4th gen i7, instead of the 2nd gen here, 6GB of ram instead of 4GB here, an NVIDIA gpu, instead of Intel's integrated one, 1080 resolution, and its $50 cheaper.

I'm sure some will appreciate the pointer, but note that it is also larger, heavier, and "1366x768".

ac2539

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ac2539
Hoodis wrote:Is the keyboard backlit?

The keyboard is not backlit. This is the first-gen Zenbook. The newer Zenbooks (Zenbook Prime) with black keys are backlit. The link that hellboy999 posted from groupon is backlit, I think its a pretty good deal if you dont' mind refurb. New Zenbook Infinity expected in Q3 or Q4.

lorenzodemedici

quality posts: 38 Private Messages lorenzodemedici

Two year old discontinued model. Lots of complaints on Amazon about the keyboard, the trackpad, and poor customer service from ASUS. Tiny screen, not much RAM, not much storage, no optical drive, no provision for upgrades or even to change the battery. And only $830! No thanks.

dsschnau

quality posts: 4 Private Messages dsschnau

I've got a similar Zenbook (13.3" 1080p, i5, 128gb ssd) So I can just speak from that experience.

The form factor is absolutely sexy. The trackpad isn't as bad as it is/was made out to be, and I really like the action on the keyboard. You might be concerned about fat-fingering the power button above the backspace key, but that hasn't been an issue for me at all.

I'm kind of bummed because I paid $1k for that machine a few months ago and here comes along this one with a speedier cpu and 2x the ssd storage. Oh well!

fernando65

quality posts: 2 Private Messages fernando65

for that kinda cash i expect it to include an external optical drive, and have a much better screen res. at least its not standard 1366x768.

bluemaple

quality posts: 77 Private Messages bluemaple

+ hey, it's Windows 7!

+ large 6840 mAh battery, should produce long life even with an i7 CPU.

- don't understand laptop makers using these crappy 0.3 megapixel cameras in premium priced models. Makes for a poor Skype experience on the other end.

circusninja

quality posts: 9 Private Messages circusninja

Win 7 is a good thing but, $830 for this? Nah...

bluemaple

gme814 wrote:I'd recommend people take a look at the TOSHIBA Satellite S55-A5276 instead. It has a 4th gen i7, instead of the 2nd gen here, 6GB of ram instead of 4GB here, an NVIDIA gpu, instead of Intel's integrated one, 1080 resolution, and its $50 cheaper.

dholmes999 wrote:I'm sure some will appreciate the pointer, but note that it is also larger, heavier, and "1366x768".

@gme814, apples to oranges comparison.

If you're looking for a 13.3 inch laptop you don't want a 15.6 inch laptop and visa versa.

And that Toshiba @ 1368x768 resolution is a double step down from this Woot since the pixel count is lower and the screen size is bigger, spreading those precious pixels out too far.

BTW, also no SSD in that Toshiba. ($50 old 5400 rpm hard drive vs $200 SSD in this Woot.)

bluemaple

fernando65 wrote:for that kinda cash i expect it to include an external optical drive, and have a much better screen res. at least its not standard 1366x768.

@fernando65, lack of an external DVD drive is trivial. Decent external DVD drives are cheap @ $30-40.

1920x1080 would be nice, but 1600x900 resolution is not bad on a 13.3 inch display.

CtK

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CtK

Newegg has a ASUS Zenbook Prime Intel Core i5 4GB 128GB SSD 13.3" FHD Ultrabook Radiant Silver for $749.99. Its a 3rd gen i5 and has 1920x1080 screen!!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231125

Promo Code: EMCXNTX22

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 605 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

PRICE DROP

Once upon a time there was a lonely buyer watching his sale from is barren cube. He read the comments while wiping a tear from his eye. He wanted happy wooters! He wanted happy wooters wooting! So he made that hard decision. The decision every buyer runs from. But he faced this hard decision head on.

He lowered the price to $799.

You know the drill, if you already bought, money will come flying back to you soonish.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

bluemaple

CtK wrote:Newegg has a ASUS Zenbook Prime Intel Core i5 4GB 128GB SSD 13.3" FHD Ultrabook Radiant Silver for $749.99. Its a 3rd gen i5 and has 1920x1080 screen!!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231125

Promo Code: EMCXNTX22

@CtK, Nice find. Cheaper than the new Woot price, free shipping, and only compromise is the 128 GB vs 256 GB SSD. ... Edit, and it has a backlit keyboard!

mattpope84

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mattpope84
bluemaple wrote:@CtK, Nice find. Cheaper than the new Woot price, free shipping, and only compromise is the 128 GB vs 256 GB SSD.

that's a big compromise, cutting storage from 256 to 128 is a big deal, the screen res upgrade won't be VERY noticeable in a 13" screen, and a 2nd gen i7 compared to a 3rd gen i5? not sure because i'd have to compare them but at first glance i'd take an i7 cpu. I think it depends what u want, both good laptops though, and for $50 cheaper i'd probly take the i5 with the new bridge, but i'd definitely miss having double the storage with the i7, just keep all media on an external and system only on the SSD

dammit I tried signing in the box with a sharpie but it just ruined my screen... they should be clearer on what they mean with "signature"

fujidad

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fujidad
bluemaple wrote:@CtK, Nice find. Cheaper than the new Woot price, free shipping, and only compromise is the 128 GB vs 256 GB SSD. ... Edit, and it has a backlit keyboard!

I just went over there and it's $899, did they suddenly get a big demand from your referral?

bluemaple

mattpope84 wrote:that's a big compromise, cutting storage from 256 to 128 is a big deal, the screen res upgrade won't be VERY noticeable in a 13" screen, and a 2nd gen i7 compared to a 3rd gen i5? not sure because i'd have to compare them but at first glance i'd take an i7 cpu. I think it depends what u want, both good laptops though, and for $50 cheaper i'd probly take the i5 with the new bridge, but i'd definitely miss having double the storage with the i7, just keep all media on an external and system only on the SSD

@mattpope84, Umm.... so you agree its a nice alternative since you'd go with it?

A lot of folks are spending a pile of time on their tablets with 'only' 16-64 GB. Everything's moving to the cloud and for those who feel better 'touching' their bytes that's what those two USB 3.0 ports are for.

CtK

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CtK
fujidad wrote:I just went over there and it's $899, did they suddenly get a big demand from your referral?

hmm i got it from their promo mailer they send out. Other ppl never had a problem using the code before. Maybe you just need to sign up.

bluemaple

fujidad wrote:I just went over there and it's $899, did they suddenly get a big demand from your referral?

CtK wrote:hmm i got it from their promo mailer they send out. Other ppl never had a problem using the code before. Maybe you just need to sign up.

@fujidad, just tired it - worked fine, $749, free shipping.
@CtK is correct, you must use a registered email address at NewEgg to apply the code. I too got this promo in the email. Not sure if you can retroactively register now and use the code today after registering.

Clearly NewEgg doesn't want their codes plastered all over the Internet without getting you on their mailing list!

I was going to point out that Woot should be pricing their stuff more competitively and should have known about this NewEgg deal. (I assume all Woot buyers are registered at all the likely competitors, right?). But in fairness, the NewEgg promos come out sometime between 5-7am eastern time while Woot's publish earlier.

SplatterSack

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SplatterSack

It's also almost twice as heavy and has a 15.6" screen. Useless comparison.

gme814

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gme814
bluemaple wrote:@gme814, apples to oranges comparison.

If you're looking for a 13.3 inch laptop you don't want a 15.6 inch laptop and visa versa.

And that Toshiba @ 1368x768 resolution is a double step down from this Woot since the pixel count is lower and the screen size is bigger, spreading those precious pixels out too far.

BTW, also no SSD in that Toshiba. ($50 old 5400 rpm hard drive vs $200 SSD in this Woot.)

I was looking at that laptop earlier, and it seems that newegg changed the page. The google cache shows that it did in fact say 1080, but doesn't anymore. At 768 it's defiantly a worse machine than I thought it was. Regarding the size and weight though, I really didn't think 2" screen size and 2lb would be that big a deal for most, as I don't think most people are that specific on their form factor requirements.

Regarding the ssd, although I like them as boot drives, I'd much rather have mechanical for when there's only space to choose one, as I trust ssds much less.

MichXelle

quality posts: 38 Private Messages MichXelle
lorenzodemedici wrote:Two year old discontinued model. Lots of complaints on Amazon about the keyboard, the trackpad, and poor customer service from ASUS. Tiny screen, not much RAM, not much storage, no optical drive, no provision for upgrades or even to change the battery. And only $830! No thanks.

I agree with you. Also, on top of all you mentioned lack of dedicated graphics card is a deal killer for us at this price. A sellout is a surprise.

OVER 550 W00T CARTFULS as of 06/25/14. You're killing us with some wonderful items W000T!

OVER 8 years on W00T shopping and The W00T Forum, since 02/06 with now a whopping 34 Quality Posts L-M-A-O! We do post quality information as do others that isn't recognized. Thanks for the 3 in 1 entire week! We're humbled. 3 additional noticed in 3 months. No more positive posts as our are not noticed.

pillboxesghost

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pillboxesghost

Newegg is currently offering this exact same model (but REFURBISHED) for $1039.00.

This wasn't too bad a deal on these "1st generation" Zenbooks!