quality posts: 2668 Private Messages lichme

Item: North American Outdoors Heavy Duty Charcoal Grill
Price: $69.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Condition: New (Scratch & Dent Model)

Search Amazon Search Google

mkentosh

quality posts: 308 Private Messages mkentosh

I have a different model made by this company and I can tell you they make very good grills. I have a combo smoker/grill and I have never had any issues. They are made well and hold up to poor weather too.

KrmtDfrog

quality posts: 9 Private Messages KrmtDfrog

This is a pretty decent deal. 587 inches is about 24.5" x 24" (2 ft square roughly), which puts it around the same as http://www.homedepot.com/p/Char-Broil-22-in-Barrel-Style-Charcoal-Grill-13301696/202562750#.Ucp3K_nqnkU but for tenbux cheaper and perhaps slightly better quality.

That said, things like the porcelain enameled grates will eventually chip and become very much non-stick. Then again, you're only paying $70, so you get what you pay for

lichme

quality posts: 2668 Private Messages lichme

Public Service Announcement: I learned this weekend - Clean your grill often, or the stuff you drop will catch on fire, even on low setting, and char your food at 700 degrees.

DarthTagnan

quality posts: 2 Private Messages DarthTagnan

Where were you when I bought my two Webers? I love the look and the charm.

Does anyone know how well these grill?

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3128 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

using this grill to cook some tri-tips?

maxstroud

quality posts: 2 Private Messages maxstroud

Does anyone know a shipping weight for this model or a website for the maker?

Thanks!

LaKASkill

quality posts: 15 Private Messages LaKASkill
lichme wrote:Public Service Announcement: I learned this weekend - Clean your grill often, or the stuff you drop will catch on fire, even on low setting, and char your food at 700 degrees.

Same for the oven.... If you use an oven's self cleaning option, make sure there is no fresh grease in it or it WILL catch on fire. Plain logic would make a man think it would snuff itself out, that is not always the case. Once the door locks during self cleaning, there is no opening it. Sleep well kiddies.

littlemi

quality posts: 1 Private Messages littlemi

hmm...i can't seem to find any reviews on this grill online at all. And on top of that, i can't find any site that actually sells this model to do a comparison..... I don't know if that's good or bad..

Kerig

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Kerig
lichme wrote:Condition: New (Scratch & Dent Model)

Or slightly used? I swear it looks like the grate in the photos have some grease/use on them...maybe from an after-hours Woot BBQ before the photos were taken?

erwos

quality posts: 2 Private Messages erwos
KrmtDfrog wrote:This is a pretty decent deal. 587 inches is about 24.5" x 24" (2 ft square roughly), which puts it around the same as http://www.homedepot.com/p/Char-Broil-22-in-Barrel-Style-Charcoal-Grill-13301696/202562750#.Ucp3K_nqnkU but for tenbux cheaper and perhaps slightly better quality.

That said, things like the porcelain enameled grates will eventually chip and become very much non-stick. Then again, you're only paying $70, so you get what you pay for

Correct. We've had our NAO gas grill for about three years now, and the grates are rusting now. No real impact on the food, except I've got to give them a good hit with a wire brush before cooking.

robinr99

quality posts: 0 Private Messages robinr99

item name changed, got it now

rikanaka23

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rikanaka23
robinr99 wrote:"Does anyone know the BTUs on this?"

Remember, it's charcoal. As far as I know, charcoal has, potentially, about 9000 BTUs/lb.

darkdealer

quality posts: 2 Private Messages darkdealer
robinr99 wrote:Does anyone know the BTUs on this? "Compare that number to the square inches of primary grilling area to get an idea of how well this grill might heat. As a very general rule of thumb I like to see about 100 BTUs for each square inch, or at least somewhere in that range. For example a grill with 500 square inches and 50,000 BTUs from the main burners probably produces a good amount of heat. If the BTUs where 40,000 under 500 square inches it might not produce enough heat."

Ummm..this grill is charcoal.

Having spent a recent weekend cooking on what I believe was this grill. I have the following comments. First of all the grill was covered and appeared well cared for, almost new but had a significant amount of rust on it. The loading of the charcoal into the grill from the chimney charcoal starter was a pain. The temperature was a challenge to adjust and Adding additional charcoal once you were cooking was a pain. I have been using a kettle Webber style grill and quality lump charcoal for 20 years. I would reccomend the Webber over this for everyday grilling. Perhaps this was designed to be more of a smoker than a grill.

baybiz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages baybiz
darkdealer wrote:Ummm..this grill is charcoal.

Having spent a recent weekend cooking on what I believe was this grill. I have the following comments. First of all the grill was covered and appeared well cared for, almost new but had a significant amount of rust on it. The loading of the charcoal into the grill from the chimney charcoal starter was a pain. The temperature was a challenge to adjust and Adding additional charcoal once you were cooking was a pain. I have been using a kettle Webber style grill and quality lump charcoal for 20 years. I would reccomend the Webber over this for everyday grilling. Perhaps this was designed to be more of a smoker than a grill.

Although, you would be able to open that front panel and lob some briquets in that way. But I do love my old Weber grill. What caught my eye was the upper level to keep things warm, and the handy shelves on either side. But now Weber has that fancy model with one too, altho it's too $$$!

tontotx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tontotx

I have a Kingsford grill, almost identical to this, with the exception of the chimney and the extra shelf, I got at the big W last year before Memorial Day. I LOVE it. I do have a cover for mine and I do take good care of it, being it is a "cheapy" but the grill area itself is substantial, keeps heat in well, and it smokes well when using wood chips. Adding extra charcoal is kind of a pain, but I just lower the pan and shovel it in with a fireplace shovel and spread it out that way, which makes it easy peasy. Also, I was able to find cast iron grill plates on the big "A" that replaced the chrome plated ones that came with the unit. I spent just under $100 for mine and I'm really happy with it and if I didn't have mine or needed a new one I'd buy this one. Just my .02.

ssports

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ssports

So what does the handle do? Raise and lower live critters into the fire?

tompappy49

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tompappy49

Does anyone know the specs? How long and wide the grill area? Thanks

mdnorman

quality posts: 50 Private Messages mdnorman
ssports wrote:So what does the handle do? Raise and lower live critters into the fire?

No - by turning the handle you can raise or lower the fire.

mdnorman

tompappy49 wrote:Does anyone know the specs? How long how wide etc.?

Click on the "specs" tab, right next to the "features" tab.

dopalgangr

quality posts: 4 Private Messages dopalgangr

Home Depot had these a while back, think they were $75. The one put together on the floor seemed flimsy to me and the smoke pipe was loose and thin metal. Same with the frame.

blipper67

quality posts: 6 Private Messages blipper67

I buy grills like I would clothes, only if I can see and feel them.

Can't beat a Weber and if you want a real grill/smoker get the Weber Bullet.

I also LOVE my Weber Genesis stainless steel grill. It's the only gas grill I've ever been happy with - NO flames, ever.

xrobevansx

quality posts: 1 Private Messages xrobevansx

Where is it made?

gconn

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gconn

How do you think it would work as a Smoker? Looks like good air control for Temperature management.

gary s. connell

dafunkman

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dafunkman
gconn wrote:How do you think it would work as a Smoker? Looks like good air control for Temperature management.

Yea...I was wondering too how well this grill sealed up. I've seen similar grills that were poorly sealed around the lid and air vents. Can anyone verify whether this seals nicely or not? For instance, my 18" Webber once closed up will stop burning in a matter of minutes...since there is no air getting to the charcoal once closed.

RogerB

quality posts: 4 Private Messages RogerB
Kerig wrote:Or slightly used? I swear it looks like the grate in the photos have some grease/use on them...maybe from an after-hours Woot BBQ before the photos were taken?

Maybe it's army surplus.

vagel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vagel

What better for Mom on her birthday...

bocaboy2591

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bocaboy2591

I am a BBQ and smoking aficionado and have never heard of this company. I also checked them out on Amazingribs.com to see if there was a review, but there wasn't. I'd be careful of spending any money on this item, even at this price. There are so many great smokers out there that you'd be better served to spend a little more on a real smoker and get true value with an item that will last a long time than to cheap it out and have something that's a piece of junk.

kymdydyt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kymdydyt
ssports wrote:So what does the handle do? Raise and lower live critters into the fire?

raising & lowering the charcoal relative to the grill

kiran6007

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kiran6007

I have the exact same model of this grill I picked up for clearance prices at a local home improvement store in NJ. Being a first time grill owner, the price was just right ($50) and truthfully this has turned out to be one durable grill.

Since this is charcoal you control the hot zones, if you lay it evenly the heat is even, if you don't then it's not. The screw mechanism may seem flimsy at first and may stick a bit but when the grill heats up it becomes easier and controls the temperature fine.

Make sure you put this on a level surface because if you don't the whole frame will skew and you will have 1/8” gaps in the corners where the hood won’t completely sit flush with the frame. I live with that, it didn’t start a thermonuclear war so I am assuming NBD.

Last summer 2012 and this spring (and now summer) I nearly had the grill going every week end. The charcoal pan rusted a bit, beyond that it works. This year before I started using it I had to tighten up the screws a bit (it was pre-assembled floor model). As far as durability goes; as I mentioned, I was a first time owner and was expecting to burn my neighborhood down (you know one of those charcoal lighter fireball scenarios) the first time I used this thing so why bother with a cover?

Well, I didn’t, didn’t burn down the neighborhood or the grill (pretty hard to burn a full metal grill down); any who so then over the winter I had to protect it from the weather elements. I stole (ok maybe not) an old shower curtain and used that to cover it up in the rains and other weather. Little did I know that that shower curtain was a farce; it let the water through like it didn’t exist and in the snow there used to be piles of ice on the damm thing. This spring, I was surprised that this thing had come through unscathed. No rust (well ok, the charcoal tray was rusted) or corrosion; no peeling paint or falling off parts and it continues to function. This thing survived Hurricane Sandy, with a bloody shower curtain OK?

Just a word of precaution; the ash catcher (not the Pokémon kid) does not sit completely flush with the back wall, so occasionally as the charcoals burn down in size one may spill over the back of the charcoal tray and fall to the ground instead of the tray. Simple remedy; got an aluminum strip and just had a buddy weld it as an extension to the back lip of the tray. Problem solved.

Hope this helps ya’ll; here’s a small set of images of the grill. You can see the gap that I keep talking about in the first image. Maybe it was just my floor model.

Geary1352

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Geary1352
DarthTagnan wrote:Where were you when I bought my two Webers? I love the look and the charm.

Does anyone know how well these grill?

Geary1352

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Geary1352

I have a grill from the same manufacturer and from the beginning I knew that I was getting what I paid for. I had to construct it from pieces and when I finished it wasn't as sturdy as I would have wanted actually a little warped. I have had it over two years and it cooks great but I stored it outside with a tarp and over the two years it completely fell apart from rust. When I pulled it out this year the large handle in the front fell off and when I tried to grill the charcoal fell through the charcoal rack. I paid about the same for it so I am alright with throwing it away and getting another one, just wanted you to be aware that the grill isn't built to last.

Geary1352 wrote:

rxbike@gmail.com

quality posts: 5 Private Messages rxbike@gmail.com

I looked at this model a while back when buying a new charcoal grill and from the loooks of it, I think it would be fine for the occasional griller, not one that you would use 2-3 times a week. The metal is thin, leading to much heat loss especially with charcoal.
The front door to add additional charcoal is way too small for any thing but adding oxygen to the grill, you can add preformed briquets to add more heat but if you use wood chunk briquets, they will not fit through there easily.

The grilling grate being ceramic/enamel will not tolerate high heat well and the will eventually crack and deteriorate and leave you with rusted metal bars underneath. ( I have had a number of grills with this type of grate that have now been retired to our travel trailer or relegated to the lake cabin.

If you are serious about your grilling, spend money on a decent grill, some of the units that Costco or Sam's Club sells for 30-40 more may be a better long standing unit.

This would make a lousy smoker in my opinion since you can't control low steady heat so its a kill on that

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

xrobevansx wrote:Where is it made?

imma see if i can get an answer on this.
will update.

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

jlimm1

quality posts: 4 Private Messages jlimm1

I would suggest that people considering this should buy a weber instead. Just my opinion.

The charcoal grate lacks proper airflow for charcoal to burn well- could cause excessive smoke and charcoals becoming unlit. This looks like it will work fine as a grill, however, it lacks the air-tightness of a weber that allows you to use it as both a grill and a smoker.

PemberDucky

Staff

i have two things for people to know.

1) it's made in China

2) the weight is 71 lbs.

mdnorman

PemberDucky wrote:imma see if i can get an answer on this.
will update.

C'mon ... Ya know it's gotta be made in China.

PemberDucky

Staff

mdnorman wrote:C'mon ... Ya know it's gotta be made in China.

i see you read my post!

DarthTagnan

quality posts: 2 Private Messages DarthTagnan
Geary1352 wrote:I have a grill from the same manufacturer and from the beginning I knew that I was getting what I paid for. I had to construct it from pieces and when I finished it wasn't as sturdy as I would have wanted actually a little warped. I have had it over two years and it cooks great but I stored it outside with a tarp and over the two years it completely fell apart from rust. When I pulled it out this year the large handle in the front fell off and when I tried to grill the charcoal fell through the charcoal rack. I paid about the same for it so I am alright with throwing it away and getting another one, just wanted you to be aware that the grill isn't built to last.

Thanks for the info!