Quality Posts

lichme

quality posts: 3059 Private Messages lichme

Item: HP ENVY 15.6" Quad-Core Laptop
Price: $399.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Condition: Factory Reconditioned

Search Amazon Search Google

Previous Similar Sales (May not be exact model)
6/18/2013 - $399.99 (Woot-off) - 15 comment(s)
6/14/2013 - $399.99 - 22 comment(s)

lichme

usclawyer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages usclawyer
conanthelibrarian wrote:Check out this "excellent" review over at cnet.com

The cnet review is for a very different laptop in that it has an Intel i3 or i5 processor, which is probably miles ahead of this AMD quad core. I'd like to see a more on-point review of this particular production model.

lichme

User review Video

whatsamattaU

quality posts: 1071 Private Messages whatsamattaU

Before the question comes up again,

ThunderThighs wrote:We're trying to be more clear on our condition so instead of calling them all refurbished, we're noting when they are "Factor Reconditioned".

A "factory reconditioned" item was returned, inspected, and restored to fully working condition by the original manufacturer or a certified partner. And the original manufacturer stands behind it with a warranty. It's as close to new as you can get without technically being "new".

gme814

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gme814
usclawyer wrote:The cnet review is for a very different laptop in that it has an Intel i3 or i5 processor, which is probably miles ahead of this AMD quad core. I'd like to see a more on-point review of this particular production model.

Considering the laptop in that review has a first-gen i5, it's actually the opposite. According to passmark cpu benchmarks, the AMD quad in this laptop is 27% faster than the i5 in that review, and the integrated graphics on this laptop is also 25% faster than the graphics card in that review, so this should be faster all-around.

zyren

quality posts: 3 Private Messages zyren

That resolution is a dealbreaker...

richaemry

quality posts: 0 Private Messages richaemry

I have the A10+7670m version of this notebook. I was able to get all the hardware working in Win7 and Linux in addition to Win8.

Another thing I LOVE about this machine is the ease of entry. HDD, RAM, WiFi, BT, and ODD are all repairable,replaceable from the bottom panel.

Great notebook.

jimsinkorea

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jimsinkorea

Is this one better than the one at this link?

http://1saleaday.com/main/

same price but seems the one at 1sale is better...

NascarDad

quality posts: 21 Private Messages NascarDad

No bluetooth, but 4 USB ports, it wouldnt be generally a problem to dedicate one to a bluetooth USB dongle.

conradcoyle103

quality posts: 0 Private Messages conradcoyle103

Will this laptop still be able to run new programs 4 years from now? I'm not familiar with AMD processors or Radeon video cards. I'm looking for something that can handle things like MATLAB and CAD for college.

NascarDad

jimsinkorea wrote:Is this one better than the one at this link?

http://1saleaday.com/main/

same price but seems the one at 1sale is better...

That is hard to say. The woot ones has more RAM and much larger MAX RAM, an extra USB, a larger hard drive, and the graphics is a touch faster in the Woot model.

The 1 sale has an SSD cache and bluetooth built in.

So it depends what you need it for. For my purposes the 1sale one might be better.

NascarDad

conradcoyle103 wrote:Will this laptop still be able to run new programs 4 years from now? I'm not familiar with AMD processors or Radeon video cards. I'm looking for something that can handle things like MATLAB and CAD for college.

I thik that would not be a good application for this computer, it is unlikely to perform well at such processor and graphics intensive tasks. For something like that, especially if you want it to still be viable in 4 years, I would invest more and look for something with an Intel i7, though at least this one has nough RAM, you should probably be OK with 6 GB though.

I am not a laptop hardware expert by any means though so others may disagree with my opinion.

dwoods12

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dwoods12

I have this exact laptop in the i7/GT 650M configuration, so I can't attest to the speed of this machine, but I can say that it is built well. The brushed metal lid looks and feels nice, and the keyboard has little to no flex. I feel totally confident holding it from one corner of the palmrest and walking around, unlike many plasticky laptops. The bottom is plastic, but it feels solid despite that. I would recommend using a flat surface beneath this laptop, as it's intakes are many and all on the bottom as far as I can tell, and it will get real warm if you cover them up.

Hope this helps someone out, if you have any other questions, let me know.

richaemry

NascarDad wrote:I thik that would not be a good application for this computer, it is unlikely to perform well at such processor and graphics intensive tasks. For something like that, especially if you want it to still be viable in 4 years, I would invest more and look for something with an Intel i7, though at least this one has nough RAM, you should probably be OK with 6 GB though.

I am not a laptop hardware expert by any means though so others may disagree with my opinion.

I'd say that he needs at least an A10 and a discrete videocard. Those start at $500-$600 new, and are definitely worth the extra money.

An i7 will run Matlab faster, but will be inferior for CAD without a discrete videocard. With a 650m or higher, and i7 is going to be faster --but that's $750 or so.

richaemry

conradcoyle103 wrote:Will this laptop still be able to run new programs 4 years from now? I'm not familiar with AMD processors or Radeon video cards. I'm looking for something that can handle things like MATLAB and CAD for college.

You really should bite the bullet and buy a refurb mobile workstation. The best options are a Dell Precision, Lenovo W series, and HP Elitebook.

Get a quad core i7 and a Firepro or Quaddro videocard. The best bang for your buck will be a refurbished Dell Precision with a Sandy Bridge i7 and a Firepro. Get the warranty upgrade.

I garantee you --overbuy if you're studying engineering. The last thing you want is to have to risk turning in homework late because your computer keeps overheating or is just too slow to handle the job your senior year.

sobezuki

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sobezuki
richaemry wrote:You really should bite the bullet and buy a refurb mobile workstation. The best options are a Dell Precision, Lenovo W series, and HP Elitebook.

Get a quad core i7 and a Firepro or Quaddro videocard. The best bang for your buck will be a refurbished Dell Precision with a Sandy Bridge i7 and a Firepro. Get the warranty upgrade.

I garantee you --overbuy if you're studying engineering. The last thing you want is to have to risk turning in homework late because your computer keeps overheating or is just too slow to handle the job your senior year.

I have to agree here. I purchased a Dell 17R laptop with an Intel i5 processor a few years ago while studying Mechanical Design (engineering). I use Pro/ENGINEER at work and school and used AutoCAD for homework. It wouldnt even run AutoCAD without being glitchy. Needless to say I totally overpaid (paid like $700+) some 3-4 years ago when I bought it. I could have gotten away with a $400 laptop for school papers and homework and left the CAD work for school.

lin90201

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lin90201

How does it compare to this one: http://www.ecost.com/p/HP-Notebook-Computers/product~dpno~9434122~pdp.iafahee ?

eCost one ENVY m6-1105dx has better CPU A10 and bluetooth, but 2GB less memory.

Does Woot charge sales tax for orders to CA ? I bought many items from Woot and was never charged for tax, why this one Woot charge me sales tax ?

mrlude98

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mrlude98
lin90201 wrote:How does it compare to this one: http://www.ecost.com/p/HP-Notebook-Computers/product~dpno~9434122~pdp.iafahee ?

Does Woot charge sales tax for orders to CA ? I bought many items from Woot and was never charged for tax, why this one Woot charge me sales tax ?

The one at ecost says refurbished..not "refurbished/recertified" might be rollin the dice..but might not be?

whatsamattaU

lin90201 wrote:How does it compare to this one: http://www.ecost.com/p/HP-Notebook-Computers/product~dpno~9434122~pdp.iafahee ?

February: http://www.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5336887

PemberDucky wrote:which state are you in?

just FYI: whether you're charged taxes has nothing to do with us and everything to do with your state government's directives.

it ain't our choice, i'm afraid. :/

kjg871

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kjg871

How do you purchase the extended warranty with this?

whatsamattaU

kjg871 wrote:How do you purchase the extended warranty with this?

Click the Square Trade logo/section further down on the description page towards the center-right, for $56.99.

adhurt

quality posts: 14 Private Messages adhurt
Windows® 8 makes the things you do every day easier

Well, I know I'm beating the dead horse, but that's bullcrap.

The good news is that it is the only problem I seem to have with this laptop! Now only if I needed a new one.

"Never underestimate the power of human stupidity..." Lazarus Long

kjg871

whatsamattaU wrote:Click the Square Trade logo/section further down on the description page towards the center-right, for $56.99.

Do you have to buy the warranty same day/time? It doesn't give you the option when you add it to your cart.

whatsamattaU

kjg871 wrote:Do you have to buy the warranty same day/time? It doesn't give you the option when you add it to your cart.

http://squaretrade.force.com/support/faqArticles/how-long-do-i-have-to-buy-a-squaretrade-care-plan
30 days when buying for a new product, this I don't know. Now I'm not sure if the same price holds if you buy it from Square Trade after today, but it's $56.99 for another year, $29 for a second year. You can call them (1-877-WARRANT(Y)) right now, hope that a moderator answers this in the next 3 hours, or just take the plunge. I've had good experience with Square Trade when I bought a laptop through Amazon, but because I bought it new, I had 30 days of a window. Sorry, I wish I knew with more certainty. The only other backwards solution that MIGHT work is open the link to the warranty, buy the computer, keep that page open in the browser, and hope that it will still let you buy the warranty as long as the page is open (no idea if it will work, but if the warranty offer doesn't expire today, at least you won't lose where to go to). This is the link address I got when trying:
https://www.squaretrade.com/buyersvcs/initCategoryTree.do;jsessionid=2E1AE413FD3699D12B67F65B28152725?utm_source=&utm_medium=&utm_term=&utm_content=&utm_campaign=

(you may have to try getting to the page yourself, since it will likely crank out a different sessionid)
but I don't know if the unique session ID is important, but hopefully you'll get an answer soon either way.

kjg871

whatsamattaU wrote:http://squaretrade.force.com/support/faqArticles/how-long-do-i-have-to-buy-a-squaretrade-care-plan
30 days when buying for a new product, this I don't know. Now I'm not sure if the same price holds if you buy it from Square Trade after today, but it's $56.99 for another year, $29 for a second year. You can call them (1-877-WARRANT(Y)) right now, hope that a moderator answers this in the next 3 hours, or just take the plunge. I've had good experience with Square Trade when I bought a laptop through Amazon, but because I bought it new, I had 30 days of a window. Sorry, I wish I knew with more certainty. The only other backwards solution that MIGHT work is open the link to the warranty, buy the computer, keep that page open in the browser, and hope that it will still let you buy the warranty as long as the page is open (no idea if it will work, but if the warranty offer doesn't expire today, at least you won't lose where to go to). This is the link address I got when trying:
https://www.squaretrade.com/buyersvcs/initCategoryTree.do;jsessionid=2E1AE413FD3699D12B67F65B28152725?utm_source=&utm_medium=&utm_term=&utm_content=&utm_campaign=

(you may have to try getting to the page yourself, since it will likely crank out a different sessionid)
but I don't know if the unique session ID is important, but hopefully you'll get an answer soon either way.

Thanks!

heart3344

quality posts: 0 Private Messages heart3344

I am in china,can i buy this one with my credit card?
someone can help?
thanks

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 169 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

heart3344 wrote:I am in china,can i buy this one with my credit card?
someone can help?
thanks

Our apologies,we do not ship outside of the United States at this time, and certain sales may not be shipped to certain states.

whatsamattaU

ROGETRAY wrote:Our apologies,we do not ship outside of the United States at this time, and certain sales may not be shipped to certain states.

Rogetray, can you answer kjg871's question? I do realize you might be busy covering all of the woot websites.

ROGETRAY

Staff

whatsamattaU wrote:Rogetray, can you answer kjg871's question? I do realize you might be busy covering all of the woot websites.

Seems like you answered the question quicker than I did lol.

The official answer to buying SquareTrade warranty is up to 30 days from the purchase of the product :
http://www.woot.com/blog/post/extended-warranties-pt2-introducing-squaretrade
"One of the best features is you have up to 30 days from date of sale to purchase a SquareTrade warranty, so you don’t have to decide at time of Woot purchase (the SquareTrade opt-in reminder can come in handy there to catch the 30 day mark)"

Thanks for helping out earlier though whatsamatterU. I didn't catch that they were inquiring about a SquareTrade.

whatsamattaU

ROGETRAY wrote:Seems like you answered the question quicker than I did lol.

The official answer to buying SquareTrade warranty is up to 30 days from the purchase of the product :
http://www.woot.com/blog/post/extended-warranties-pt2-introducing-squaretrade
"One of the best features is you have up to 30 days from date of sale to purchase a SquareTrade warranty, so you don’t have to decide at time of Woot purchase (the SquareTrade opt-in reminder can come in handy there to catch the 30 day mark)"

Thanks for helping out earlier though whatsamatterU. I didn't catch that they were inquiring about a SquareTrade.

So, if he kept the browser open to the square trade direct link, it should work after today? Otherwise, he'd have to work through square trade, right?

As long as I have time (and I have a little more than usual these past few days), willing to help.

ROGETRAY

Staff

whatsamattaU wrote:So, if he kept the browser open to the square trade direct link, it should work after today? Otherwise, he'd have to work through square trade, right?

As long as I have time (and I have a little more than usual these past few days), willing to help.

Not so. Once the sale is over, the SquareTrade widget should still be open from within the sale. You can still go back into the sale page and access the Square Trade warranty (again, up to 30 days from the sale)

Thanks again.

whatsamattaU

ROGETRAY wrote:Not so. Once the sale is over, the SquareTrade widget should still be open from within the sale. You can still go back into the sale page and access the Square Trade warranty (again, up to 30 days from the sale)

Thanks again.

Well, I'll be. Never knew that until now.

You're welcome.

zackrichter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zackrichter

Got this deal and it arrived today. I am having a problem that I wanted to ask other people about to see if they're experiencing the same thing. WiFi is grayed out and not allowing me to turn it on. I tried the F12 key, settings...wireless and countless Support searches. Have any of you experienced this? More importantly, have any of you fixed it?