WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Start A Band

What's the best part of both a job and a band? Quitting dramatically! Sure, it's nice to earn a salary and express yourself creatively, but nothing beats angrily storming out and burning all your bridges. So pick up some musical instruments and start a band! (Before you quit your job and run out of money)

developerzero

quality posts: 9 Private Messages developerzero

Question to anybody who has bought the violin: is it any good? I've heard bad things about these cheaper violins, but I'm interested in getting one. Comments? Opinions?

TheFlatline

quality posts: 9 Private Messages TheFlatline
developerzero wrote:Question to anybody who has bought the violin: is it any good? I've heard bad things about these cheaper violins, but I'm interested in getting one. Comments? Opinions?

Three stars over at the mothership. Some production quality issues, and it's going to need work (pegs, bridge possibly, etc...) The strings suck and you may need a better bow.

Once you get it set up it supposedly sounds okay.

charliecarroll

quality posts: 105 Private Messages charliecarroll
developerzero wrote:Question to anybody who has bought the violin: is it any good? I've heard bad things about these cheaper violins, but I'm interested in getting one. Comments? Opinions?

"Junk" comes to mind. But the same goes for the rest of the instruments offererd today also.

lorenzodemedici

quality posts: 37 Private Messages lorenzodemedici

Better plan - you can't go wrong with a basic Fender Strat for $130. Then buy a cheap used amp at a pawnshop or wherever, and either lessons or one of the highly rated guitar books for beginners. Cheap guitars are hard to play, which only discourages beginners. Fender Strats are really easy to play, they sound great, and you can play it for years without being ashamed of having a kid's guitar.

charliecarroll

lorenzodemedici wrote:Better plan - you can't go wrong with a basic Fender Strat for $130. Then buy a cheap used amp at a pawnshop or wherever, and either lessons or one of the highly rated guitar books for beginners. Cheap guitars are hard to play, which only discourages beginners. Fender Strats are really easy to play, they sound great, and you can play it for years without being ashamed of having a kid's guitar.

That would be the "Squire" model you are talking about at that price. But I agree, not a bad "starter" guitar and I also agree on picking up a better than this deal, "used" amp. Also, it may even be better to pick up a better model used guitar. If you shop you can do better than a squire if you go used and for around the same money.

reneeviolin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages reneeviolin

Moot because it's sold out now, but please, take it from an orchestra teacher who has seen too many "violin-shaped objects" come in... Yes, it seems like a good deal to get all those items for that price... but to make it playable and anywhere close to decent sounding, it'll cost more in repairs than the violin is worth.

Much better option--go to your local music store and ask about rental instruments (and rent-to-own). Many shops have rental plans that will throw in a free stand and/or book when you start your rental plan, and will help you maintain the instrument (new strings, bow rehairs, other repairs) free with your rental payment. Some will even replace the instrument with no additional cost should something happen to the instrument.

Just my $0.02 as a teacher... It may seem like buying something like this is more economical but it isn't worth the time and money you'll have to spend to make it sound good or fun to play.

MITCHELLWOOT

quality posts: 4 Private Messages MITCHELLWOOT

I wish they offered the snare for lefties.........

charliecarroll

MITCHELLWOOT wrote:I wish they offered the snare for lefties.........

ROFLMAO!

captchrista

quality posts: 0 Private Messages captchrista

i realize the cheep price. and you get what you pay for, but that said, i think this would be perfect for say my 14 year old god son. if he does decide that he wants to play he can earn the money for a little bit better one.. throwing 200 dollars for something to maybe sit in the closet... well yall get my point... i am really going to think about this..he has discovered girls in the last year, and i think this would help..lol...

charliecarroll

captchrista wrote:i realize the cheep price. and you get what you pay for, but that said, i think this would be perfect for say my 14 year old god son. if he does decide that he wants to play he can earn the money for a little bit better one.. throwing 200 dollars for something to maybe sit in the closet... well yall get my point... i am really going to think about this..he has discovered girls in the last year, and i think this would help..lol...

Here is something to think about. You buy junk and you can't get rid of it for more than $10 in a yard sale (if you are lucky) You spend that $200 for a decent used instrument and if the kid (by now being able to learn as it is a decent instrument)learns and wants better he has something with some value to sale and then move up or trade moving up. If, the kid does not learn or care about it, you still have something of value that you can get a better return on by selling yourself. Craig's list for example. Don't expect this child to really get in to trying to learn if the instrument can't stay in tune or has other problems. $200 well spent beats the crap out of $70 thrown away all day/every day.