quality posts: 3642 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

additional info can be found at dxgusa.com

lichme

quality posts: 3001 Private Messages lichme

Here is some test footage

Fountain3586

quality posts: 32 Private Messages Fountain3586
lichme wrote:Here is some test footage

That's really nice. Makes me want one real bad.

Favorite Woots: The First Years miSwivel Feeding Chair, Kiddy Sport’n Move Stroller, Sacs of Life Insulator 4 Reusable Shopping Bags, Daiwa Golf Bag, Energizer Light on Demand Twin Light Center, Ooma Telo ViIP Home Phone System, and a Stainless Steel Designer 6 Ounce Flask.

ojohn

quality posts: 42 Private Messages ojohn

Here's a video that says it was taken with this camera

The description says he forgot to change it to "superfine" from "fine".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cv8PRk1eb_c

kentobin

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kentobin

The only review I could find was on Amazon. Read it for yourself and draw your own conclusion:
http://www.amazon.com/review/B004VFHXDC/ref=cm_cr_prvoterdr?_encoding=UTF8&showViewpoints=1#R2ER6PI2P40B8U.2115.Helpful.Reviews

gregbowman

quality posts: 44 Private Messages gregbowman

I was given one of these to do a quick eval on after bumping in to a rep that was hawking them at CES - and I wouldn't film my grandmother's cat for the Internet with this camera . . . it isn't even heavy enough to be a doorstop, so I can't find any redeeming quality the damn thing may have. Yes, this camera is THAT bad . . . RUN away; Run, I say. The refurbished JVC occasionally offered here by woot! is a better camera by far (light years better) and cheaper to boot. If you buy this camera, you're going to hate it and subsequently you'll hate woot! for offering it for sale. It can't focus to save its life, it drops frames like crazy and the codec options are a joke, you're going to pull your hair out in post (if you actually make it that far) . . . the stabilization is two axis (maybe) and is laughable. There is nothing "prosumer" about this camera other than the external mic capability (and we're not talking XLR here [duh], it is a 3.5 non-metered MONO jack if I remember correctly) . . . This is a Fingerhut camera at best, and even your average Fingerhut credit buyer would return it. You've been warned. I actually threw this back into the booth at the rep for wasting my time (nothing she said about this camera was accurate - other than it was [actually] a camera) and walked away - do likewise, walk away. Walmart has better options for $100. Heck, the Nikon offered at tech.woot today will take better video than this thing.

ricky77531

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ricky77531

Darn. I just bought one

tonymotion

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tonymotion

Has anyone been able to find any images of this camera?

I'm very interested in this camera due to its specs, but I can't even find any good images of it. I would like to see the connections myself. :/

Also, some pages claim that it can work with a remote control, but I can't find a remote for it for sale anywhere.

On top of it all, if you click on any of the items in DXG's product page (http://www.dxgusa.com/products.html) there are never *any* items listed.

It's all just a little sketchy. :/

Woody

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Woody
gregbowman wrote:I was given one of these to do a quick eval on after bumping in to a rep that was hawking them at CES - and I wouldn't film my grandmother's cat for the Internet with this camera . . . it isn't even heavy enough to be a doorstop, so I can't find any redeeming quality the damn thing may have. Yes, this camera is THAT bad . . . RUN away; Run, I say. The refurbished JVC occasionally offered here by woot! is a better camera by far (light years better) and cheaper to boot. If you buy this camera, you're going to hate it and subsequently you'll hate woot! for offering it for sale. It can't focus to save its life, it drops frames like crazy and the codec options are a joke, you're going to pull your hair out in post (if you actually make it that far) . . . the stabilization is two axis (maybe) and is laughable. There is nothing "prosumer" about this camera other than the external mic capability (and we're not talking XLR here [duh], it is a 3.5 non-metered MONO jack if I remember correctly) . . . This is a Fingerhut camera at best, and even your average Fingerhut credit buyer would return it. You've been warned. I actually threw this back into the booth at the rep for wasting my time (nothing she said about this camera was accurate - other than it was [actually] a camera) and walked away - do likewise, walk away. Walmart has better options for $100. Heck, the Nikon offered at tech.woot today will take better video than this thing.

Thanks for the review. I was almost in for one. I'll wait for the JVC you mentioned. I'm in no hurry.

gusvonpooch

quality posts: 24 Private Messages gusvonpooch

Looks like a Walgreens special!

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 96 Private Messages radi0j0hn
gregbowman wrote:I was given one of these to do a quick eval on after bumping in to a rep that was hawking them at CES - and I wouldn't film my grandmother's cat for the Internet with this camera . . . it isn't even heavy enough to be a doorstop, so I can't find any redeeming quality the damn thing may have. Yes, this camera is THAT bad . . . RUN away; Run, I say. The refurbished JVC occasionally offered here by woot! is a better camera by far (light years better) and cheaper to boot. If you buy this camera, you're going to hate it and subsequently you'll hate woot! for offering it for sale. It can't focus to save its life, it drops frames like crazy and the codec options are a joke, you're going to pull your hair out in post (if you actually make it that far) . . . the stabilization is two axis (maybe) and is laughable. There is nothing "prosumer" about this camera other than the external mic capability (and we're not talking XLR here [duh], it is a 3.5 non-metered MONO jack if I remember correctly) . . . This is a Fingerhut camera at best, and even your average Fingerhut credit buyer would return it. You've been warned. I actually threw this back into the booth at the rep for wasting my time (nothing she said about this camera was accurate - other than it was [actually] a camera) and walked away - do likewise, walk away. Walmart has better options for $100. Heck, the Nikon offered at tech.woot today will take better video than this thing.

"I actually threw this back into the booth at the rep for wasting my time.."

Please tell me you made that up for dramatic effect?

I've never treated any product or company that way at a show. It's simply unprofessional, regardless of whether you write for the New York Times or simply have a blog.

I agree that DXG tends to be mediocre at best, but I have to discount the points in your "review" based on your haughty attitude.

I've used a few DXG products over the years and they have not been favorites.

They are lightweight, but the build quality of the casings was actually quite tough. People used to criticize plastic film SLRs the same way you did.

For those needing better sound for lectures, interviews, etc. the mic input MIGHT be useful, as on-camera sound recordings are dreadful.

But using a separate digital recorder and then dropping in that audio track into the editor may be a better solution.

The unit may have a mono input, but I suspect the jack itself will accept stereo mics and just combine the L/R signals.

Finally, I'd would like to read your review of those Remington "King of Shaves" razors Woot offered. THAT might be quite entertaining.

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

zoan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages zoan
Fountain3586 wrote:That's really nice. Makes me want one real bad.

No, it's not nice. Way too much shaking. You wouldn't see that in your video if you were using present-day image stabilization technology.

Lord John Whorfin

quality posts: 27 Private Messages Lord John Whorfin

DXG. Because it's always nice to have a cheaper alternative to high-end brands like Coby.

xxooss

quality posts: 12 Private Messages xxooss

don't sugar coat it man...say wht you mean...

firefox91

quality posts: 0 Private Messages firefox91
gregbowman wrote:I actually threw this back into the booth at the rep for wasting my time

This statement is either a lie to make you sound like Billy Badass or it's true which just makes you a prick. If you want people to take you seriously and give yourself some credibility, don't say stuff like this. For that matter, don't do stuff like this if you actually did it.

gregbowman

quality posts: 44 Private Messages gregbowman

I did actually toss the thing back into the booth . . . it isn't like I beaned her with it (or even tried to) . . . But, I did lob it. I make no apologies for doing it. The camera bounced on the sofa twice and came to rest without damage. I was in a hurry, I didn't see anyone in the booth and I lobbed it in. She rounded the corner from the inner office they had set up in the booth and had a shocked look on her face, I apologized for not noticing she was there and went on my way . . . I could have kept the camera, it was a gift - I opted to return it, as did many others . . . it really is just that poor and giving it back to them made a statement.

DXG made a highly concerted effort through two different distributors at CES to get these into the hands of a lot of people . . . they touted features and made a lot of claims, wasted a lot of people's time (including my own) with evangelical-like promises about these new cameras and the feature set. It was a snow job the likes many of us had not seen in quite a few years at CES - they even astroturfed these cameras free-roaming SXSW. It was sad.

As much as I would have loved to spiral it deep into the booth wall, that is actually the way it happened. I did take a bit of literary license.

My bad manners at CES doesn't impact the fact that they're crappy cameras.

For those of you that pulled the trigger on this one, enjoy your purchase. I hope that your experience with this camera was better than my own. Regrettably, I fear it will be the same or worse.