WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Dell is for Heroes

I know you PCs didn't ask to be here. None of us did. But dammit, there are people out there counting on us, people who need us to hold the line on PC prices before their entire way of life is stamped out. And we're not gonna let 'em down. If we survive this, the beers are on me. If not, well... I'll see you in Dell.
Dell official site

shoffman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shoffman

A recycled Woot Plus for recycled machines! Drop the price on the Slim desktop to $200, then it will be a deal!

Symbolic2007

quality posts: 9 Private Messages Symbolic2007

Well, you got the "I'll see you in Dell" part right. I dunno about the rest...

Metal is awesome, it's super-powerful and emotional, but at the end of the day we're dudes with long hair and guitars going "RAAAAAR!" -Devin Townsend

hoopee

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hoopee

There is a reason that almost every website available offers 'refurbished Dell computers. The fact is, a Refurbished Piece of Crap is still a piece of crap.

Dell is making crap these days backed up by the absolute worst customer and technical support. Once you buy a Dell in today's market, you'll never purchase anything Dell again.

flowerz

quality posts: 1 Private Messages flowerz

The last Dell I purchased brand new didn't even last long enough to wear the "new" look off of it. After using it about three weeks, the Sata went bad saying something about it wasn't connecting the way it was supposed to.....in other words from a non techie, it was an expensive piece of junk! No more Dell's for me. It now sits in a drawer still looking like a brand new laptop that is completely useless to me. Beware of Dell, their quality is not what it was years and years ago.

mend0za

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mend0za
flowerz wrote:The last Dell I purchased brand new didn't even last long enough to wear the "new" look off of it. After using it about three weeks, the Sata went bad saying something about it wasn't connecting the way it was supposed to.....in other words from a non techie, it was an expensive piece of junk! No more Dell's for me. It now sits in a drawer still looking like a brand new laptop that is completely useless to me. Beware of Dell, their quality is not what it was years and years ago.

I'd be more than happy to take it off your hands if you don't want it.

sidmystic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sidmystic

Holy crap that's funny! I did that for MONTHS last year trying to get my wife's grandparents Dell serviced. I kept track of the calls but lost track of the hours and days spent on each troubleshooting session. I think we had 4 different technicians come by and replace parts. By the end of it all, they essentially had a new system save for the processor.

Strange, though -- every other Dell I've had has been fine. They were just "lucky", I suppose. Confused as to why they simply won't let you ship it back to a Dell service center and let them troubleshoot it in one go, rather than string you along with a support center than has no real power.

skywarrior3

quality posts: 47 Private Messages skywarrior3

My netbook just croaked, so this was fortuitous. Not only can I upgrade to a dual core processor, but I can have something about the same size as my old netbook. Now I just have to pull my old files off.

www.howlingdead.com

franes

quality posts: 0 Private Messages franes

I recently bought my second Dell Inspiron, the first is still humming (quietly) away after almost 5 years. And if the motherboard would allow me to upgrade the processor and ram I would not have bought a new one.
My one contact with Dell Customer support resulted in them sending me a new monitor (which arrived in 24 hours) with prepaid packaging and label to return the defective item.

Since then it has been quietly doing its job. and the only problem is it is getting old and cannot be upgraded enough to keep up. For the price I paid I am happy (and it still works well)

I just need a laptop now for mobility.

thom1048

quality posts: 1 Private Messages thom1048

We have been running Dells for the last several years after switching from HP. Just bought a 660s as a home theater computer (direct from dell) and we are quite happy with it. The computer is connected to our lcd flatscreen and the graphics chipset does quite nicely playing in 1080p. The wireless does not support the faster 5 ghz that dual band routers run. We did max it out on options so it is a bit faster in general than the one offered here.

garmac

quality posts: 0 Private Messages garmac

Dell does not even stock parts for the latitude ST. I got a refurbished one that never worked out of the box... DOA after it started to shut down just 5 minutes during setup. After more than a month in depot and a few angry emails to dell, they finally sent me a brand new latitude 10 tablet instead... they didn't have any refurbished ST left around...

jertyler

quality posts: 3 Private Messages jertyler

I'm wary of Dells after having had mixed experiences with them over the last decade. I have often found the build quality to be below average. That said, I still own two of them and my wife's work machine is a Vostro (her personal laptop is a MacBook). I've purchased my Dells from the Dell Outlet and have received fully functional machines each time. I like to think that a factory refurb has been fully tested and may be less likely to arrive DOA than a new machine.

A quick look at the outlet showed, for example, a 14z with an i5-3317U Processor (1.7GHz) for $509 with free shipping, 1 year warranty, and 90 day "premium" phone support. The machines here on Woot have a straight 90 day warranty, so the 14z here with an i3-3217U (1.8GHz) for $419 plus $69.99 Fair Trade warranty plus $5 shipping (total of $494) provides a rough comparison. I would probably spend the extra 16 bucks and buy it straight from Dell, if I had to have one.

Symbolic2007

quality posts: 9 Private Messages Symbolic2007

The one thing I'll say in their defense is that, having worked desktop support in a couple companies over the last few years, business grade Dell machines last longer and seem to be made with better components than consumer level.

Having worked as a technician at a local PC repair & build shop for 5 years before that, however, over half of the machines that came across my bench were Dells and many of them were not very old. Most of the issues were indeed hardware. Dead power supplies and motherboards, bad video cards, blown capacitors as far as the eye can see, chaos and calamity, riots, looting, cities burnt to the ground, plagues, aaand Methodists! *inhale gasp*

Metal is awesome, it's super-powerful and emotional, but at the end of the day we're dudes with long hair and guitars going "RAAAAAR!" -Devin Townsend

alextse

quality posts: 24 Private Messages alextse

Is it really an ultrabook if it weighs 4.12 lbs? There are 14" laptops below 4 lbs without that moniker. No wonder this one is being discounted.

bzh10136

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bzh10136
hoopee wrote:There is a reason that almost every website available offers 'refurbished Dell computers. The fact is, a Refurbished Piece of Crap is still a piece of crap.

Dell is making crap these days backed up by the absolute worst customer and technical support. Once you buy a Dell in today's market, you'll never purchase anything Dell again.

That's what happens when you buy a walmart throw away machine from any vendor. Dells pro support warranty is second to none in the market quit being cheap and buying the basic warranty. REMEMBER YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!

bzh10136

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bzh10136
mend0za wrote:I'd be more than happy to take it off your hands if you don't want it.

I agree that's a 30 second fix to have any sata part replaced.

fishcandy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages fishcandy

I know the deal is done, but I just wanted to add my 2¢ to the discussion. I have bought five Dell laptops over about a 10 year period. I give the old one away when I buy a new (refurb) one. They are all still working. My daughter currently has two of them because her oldest one was still working when I gave her a newer one. I have the 17R in this deal and it is the fastest computer I have ever owned. I added a 256gig SSD and it boots in like 15 seconds. It has been perfect since I bought it. I have no complaints with Dell products and hope they remain in business because I will buy more.

skywarrior3

quality posts: 47 Private Messages skywarrior3

Has anyone seen theirs ship yet?

www.howlingdead.com

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 564 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

skywarrior3 wrote:Has anyone seen theirs ship yet?

Give it a couple more days. Sometimes with Plus sales, they wait until closer to the end of the sale to ship them together.

However, you can feel free to email support@woot.com for info as well.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders