Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3142 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Decent reviews (3.7 out of 5.0) over at amazon

lichme

quality posts: 2680 Private Messages lichme

Lots and lots of Discussion on this thread.

Sample video stolen from a previous wooter

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3142 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Lets check out this review from down under

Ftwo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Ftwo

Still waiting on the one I ordered on March 31 to show up at the house.

It seems the USPS Shipping partner wanted this camera more than I did.

Update:

Woot stood by their sale and is sending me another unit since my last order was lost during shipping.

Big shout out to ThunderThighs and support@woot.com 's Bree for helping me out and restoring order to my small part of the Wootverse.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 545 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Ftwo wrote:Still waiting on the one I ordered on March 31 to show up at the house.

It seems the USPS Shipping partner wanted this camera more than I did.

That's a bit too long. Be sure to email support@woot.com so they can figure out what's going on.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

jstrahn

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jstrahn

I bought one of these from Woot awhile back.

Camera works very well as the reviews state. I was out kayaking and one of the clips that holds the button in the water proof case came loose and got lost.

I called Swann customer service, rep spoke english and was very helpful. I faxed them my Woot receipt and expected to receive a new clip in the mail. They sent me a whole new waterproof case! That's customer service!

johnkile

quality posts: 1 Private Messages johnkile

I bought this for my son and his Swann is just as good as my GoPro Hero2 for about half the price.

dalb3

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dalb3

I bought this, and didn't know until I got it that you cannot charge and record/take pics at the same time. We take a trip down to the beach every year, and I wanted to use it for a time lapse for the whole drive, as well as a day from the beachfront balcony etc...

I chose to go with a GoPro Hero2 instead because of this.

gusvonpooch

quality posts: 24 Private Messages gusvonpooch

I have been looking at the Swann and this one at Monoprice,any thoughts?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=117&cp_id=11704&cs_id=1170401&p_id=10159&seq=1&format=2

Quickerthanu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Quickerthanu
gusvonpooch wrote:I have been looking at the Swann and this one at Monoprice,any thoughts?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=117&cp_id=11704&cs_id=1170401&p_id=10159&seq=1&format=2

Swann over the Monoprice as the Swann does 720p @60fps and has a wider angle lens.

MinnGreenGT

quality posts: 1 Private Messages MinnGreenGT

I already have a 1st Gen GoPro HereHD... sounds like this is going to be a step up in quality and accessories (LCD, Remote, etc) for a nice price.

Should be fun running 2 cams at once on a car or cycle (for switching angles on the same "run")!

bheat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bheat

Takes great pictures and video for the price. However I had issues with the waterproof case, that issue would be the fact that it didn't work and my camera got soaked! Be sure to keep your packaging and receipts etc, I did not and could not get a return or anything.

jedpaint31

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jedpaint31

I got one at the end of last summer from woot. I wanted a gopro but I figured if I lost it, I wouldn't be out as much money. I have used it kayaking, kite boarding, and on my 3 yr olds helmet when he rides his bike. I even took it in the hot springs at yellow stone. My only gripe is the audio isnt the greatest when its in the case but I knew that going in. Bottom line ... I love it

lcastil1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lcastil1

I purchased mine from Woot about a year ago and I love it! the waterproof case has held up well. I use this cam as dash cam on my car now. It works with GoPro chest mount and the GoPro suction cup mount. I am close to jumping in for a second one!

You cannot go wrong with this camera for the price.

irasanborn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages irasanborn
Laser Power: 1MW

Uhm, semantics here, but... I think you mean 1mW.

brouiller

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brouiller
lcastil1 wrote:I purchased mine from Woot about a year ago and I love it! the waterproof case has held up well. I use this cam as dash cam on my car now. It works with GoPro chest mount and the GoPro suction cup mount. I am close to jumping in for a second one!

You cannot go wrong with this camera for the price.

I'm looking to buy this as a dash cam also.
Does it come out of the box with that functionality or did you have to use custom firmware?
Will it loop the video on the SD card to record continuously?
Does it work well at night?
Do you leave it plugged into a USB charger in your car?

agenttina

quality posts: 1 Private Messages agenttina

Any idea how one would mount this to a motorcycle or a motorcycle helmet? Looking to buy this for my husband but not quite sure how these things mount.

computiac

quality posts: 4 Private Messages computiac
agenttina wrote:Any idea how one would mount this to a motorcycle or a motorcycle helmet? Looking to buy this for my husband but not quite sure how these things mount.

It comes with a helmet mounting bracket. There should also be a handlebar mount either with this or available online.

Thank's,

COMPUTIAC

TheHolyCobra

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TheHolyCobra
dalb3 wrote:I bought this, and didn't know until I got it that you cannot charge and record/take pics at the same time. We take a trip down to the beach every year, and I wanted to use it for a time lapse for the whole drive, as well as a day from the beachfront balcony etc...

I chose to go with a GoPro Hero2 instead because of this.

I've used mine as a dash cam on a 3 hour road trip before and it worked just fine. Had it hooked up to a USB cell phone charger no problem and the battery was full when I was finished.

brouiller wrote:I'm looking to buy this as a dash cam also.
Does it come out of the box with that functionality or did you have to use custom firmware?

No firmware updates, just out of the box. I have it set so it will loop the video but separate it every 30 minutes or so in case a file gets corrupt.

Night isn't the greatest on it, but it's decent. I highly suggest using a velcro mount to your mirror as using a suction cup mount made it focus on all the bugs :D

lcastil1

Loop record option right out of the box.
Does not do so well in low light.
I will not record while plugged in.

Here is a sample.
Recording at 720p 30fps. It can record at 60fps also.
http://youtu.be/1OMH2IpOxiA

tlrowe

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tlrowe
irasanborn wrote:Uhm, semantics here, but... I think you mean 1mW.

Darn,
I have been waiting for an underwater camera/death ray combo for some time. WOOT FAIL!

Ftwo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Ftwo
ThunderThighs wrote:That's a bit too long. Be sure to email support@woot.com so they can figure out what's going on.

Thank you so much for the reminder that Woot stands by their customers. One email to support@woot.com and Bree made it all better.

Thank you ThunderThighs Bree! Oh wait, there should have been an "and" in there. Kinda awkward without it.

Thank you ThunderThighs and Bree.

Accelerator

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Accelerator

Russian dash cam videos

joshartale

quality posts: 1 Private Messages joshartale

Trying to decide if this will be a good buy for recording videos at music festivals. Is the sound quality good? and hows the picture quality at night?

thisonelies

quality posts: 3 Private Messages thisonelies

I've read that the GoPro crops the 1080p when shooting at 720p, which decreases image quality instead of a proper filming at 720p. Does the Swann do the same thing? I want to shoot at 60fps (so has to be 720p) but don't want it to just use less of the sensor (thereby lowering quality). Anyone have experience with lower quality at 720p compared to 1080p?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 545 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Ftwo wrote:Thank you so much for the reminder that Woot stands by their customers. One email to support@woot.com and Bree made it all better.

Thank you ThunderThighs Bree! Oh wait, there should have been an "and" in there. Kinda awkward without it.

Thank you ThunderThighs and Bree.

Yay! Glad things are all better. Our CS is wonderful.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

Sharky35

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Sharky35

Here is video I made using the SWANN's time lapse setting. We took a Boat from Lake Pickwick to Gulf Shores Alabama.... This video is of day 3...

I cannot say enough good things about the value of this camera.

kiaratb

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kiaratb

I skydive with my Swann
check out a video I made (I replaced the sound with music, though, so you won't be able to check that feature out)

https://vimeo.com/56936111

lcastil1

thisonelies wrote:I've read that the GoPro crops the 1080p when shooting at 720p, which decreases image quality instead of a proper filming at 720p. Does the Swann do the same thing? I want to shoot at 60fps (so has to be 720p) but don't want it to just use less of the sensor (thereby lowering quality). Anyone have experience with lower quality at 720p compared to 1080p?

Night shooting is not that great and yes it does crop the video at 720 so quality goes down.

linuxuser

quality posts: 1 Private Messages linuxuser

What are the chances I could find a cable to put between the lcd and the camera and mount the lcd inside for a rear facing dashcam/back up camera in my work truck?

snlsmith1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages snlsmith1

I bought two awhile back, one for me and one for my son. I have been impressed so far, but the low light filming seems to be a bit worse than the hero2. Other than that they are fairly even. If you are concerned about image quality and sturdiness, watch my crash vid. The bike landed upside down almost directly on top of the camera and the only thing that broke was the plastic clip that screws into the case. The case had no damamge whatsoever. If yo pause the video after I go down, there are frames where you can clearly see texture on blades of grass and pieces of dirt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nvhRDh9N08