All the info you need straight from hp.com

phileoca

quality posts: 9 Private Messages phileoca

is this windows 8 home or pro?

My wife woots too

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 499 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

phileoca wrote:is this windows 8 home or pro?

The two versions are

Windows 8
Windows 8 Pro

This is Windows 8.

phileoca

quality posts: 9 Private Messages phileoca

bah. only OS worth getting are the ones that have capability to join a domain. too bad. I liked this one.

My wife woots too

jamesclaflin

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jamesclaflin

This seems like a good woot! That quad-core 3.4GHZ processor seems pretty nice, will go read-up on it.

coryb13

quality posts: 2 Private Messages coryb13

I think this comp has been up a few times, but here's the dl on the A10 processor.

AMD stuck both the graphics processor and central processor on the same chip. Saves room, and in the end, give pretty decent performance, but nothing to write home about.

If you are looking for a gaming powerhouse, look elsewhere. If you are looking for a good, slightly more than basic overall computer, I like the A series.

bluemaple

quality posts: 64 Private Messages bluemaple

Can we all agree this looks like a pretty decent PC @ a pretty decent price?

Not many of the main stream PC deals at Staples & Office Depot have both USB 3.0 & Bluetooth.

And it's hard to find a Desktop @ Costco for less than $500-600.

This PC should serve the average user well for several years.

Please, we're tired of the oh but it's Windows 8 (get over it - Windows 7 isn't coming back and who wants to pay another $90 to put it back on. Give Windows 8 + a start menu/desktop addin a chance before barfing)...

Oh, and that 300 watt power supply will be fine for the 95% of users who never open the case.

atjacofam

quality posts: 0 Private Messages atjacofam

How does this compare to the laptop on tech today?
http://tech.woot.com/offers/hp-17-3-dual-core-laptop-5
Our use would be mainly for middle school (and eventually high school) homework and general home use--email, web browsing.

Just noticed the page of Dells...decisions, decisions...

gak0090

quality posts: 70 Private Messages gak0090
coryb13 wrote:I think this comp has been up a few times, but here's the dl on the A10 processor.

AMD stuck both the graphics processor and central processor on the same chip. Saves room, and in the end, give pretty decent performance, but nothing to write home about.

If you are looking for a gaming powerhouse, look elsewhere. If you are looking for a good, slightly more than basic overall computer, I like the A series.

I also like the A10 series. I built a home theater based on the A10-5800K. It has a respectable CPU and GPU passmark. The problem with today's offering is that HP manages to find the only socket FM2 motherboard without HDMI. Epic fail. They do this all the time with their A10s. So basically now if I want to make this into a mdeiacenter pc, I have to buy a separate videocard- and if I have to do that, now I would have to change out the paltry 300 watt *max* power supply. If you don't want this for a mediacenter, it's decent as is. If you intend to use this for a mediacenter prepare to spend some cash to upgrade it.

bluemaple

atjacofam wrote:How does this compare to the laptop on tech today?
Our use would be mainly for middle school (and eventually high school) homework and general home use--email, web browsing.

@atjacofam, Funny - I was just looking at that laptop as well.

Without splitting hairs, this desktop is more powerful, but you'll need to have or buy a monitor.

And strangely, this desktop has Bluetooth but I don't think that laptop does. BT is typically more useful on a laptop but you can add it with a cheap dongle.

Otherwise if you want years of life, go desktop - they tend to be more durable and far better cooled. And obviously if you're not moving them around like laptops they don't break that way.

If you don't need portability yet for the kids, then consider a desktop. Young kids can be pretty tough on laptops with spills, etc... (We have 4 kids)

Key advantage of desktop if you have a permanent place in the family room for it: kids can't easily take it somewhere else where you won't be monitoring them on the Internet! (Very important - sad when I see friend's kids with total Internet freedom.)

gak0090

atjacofam wrote:How does this compare to the laptop on tech today?

This tower is much more powerful than the laptop. If you are planning on having a stationary PC and don't need the portability of a laptop, I would buy this tower. The tower has almost 3x higher CPU benchmarks and 2 x higher GPU benchmarks than the laptop.

Below is an 1080P 21.5" monitor you can buy at Newegg for $100 and free shipping. This monitor has a DVI input.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824160078

RonnyBoy

quality posts: 5 Private Messages RonnyBoy

Does this motherboard support extra add-on video cards AND still allow the onboard video to function? Some of the older motherboards that have onboard video would default and not function if a separate video card was installed. I want to use the two onboard video functions, add a video card to it, and have four monitors working.

I joined on April 15, 2005, instead of working on my taxes. The hell with taxes.

krugger3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages krugger3

Windows 8 is not bad when you add the start button add-on. Running Google Chrome, it behaves much like 7.

gak0090

RonnyBoy wrote:Does this motherboard support extra add-on video cards AND still allow the onboard video to function? Some of the older motherboards that have onboard video would default and not function if a separate video card was installed. I want to use the two onboard video functions, add a video card to it, and have four monitors working.

NO- if you install a videocard, it will turn off the internal video.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c03500676&lang=en&cc=us&taskId=101&contentType=SupportFAQ&prodSeriesId=5295962&prodTypeId=12454

Integrated Graphics
*Integrated video is not available if a graphics card is installed.

azrag228

quality posts: 1 Private Messages azrag228

If I switch out the power supply and install a good video card, will this be a decent gaming PC? I have an 800 watt power supply and a GeForce GTX 260 video card.

gak0090

RonnyBoy wrote:Does this motherboard support extra add-on video cards AND still allow the onboard video to function? Some of the older motherboards that have onboard video would default and not function if a separate video card was installed. I want to use the two onboard video functions, add a video card to it, and have four monitors working.

you could try this:
This card has up to a quad display output and only $55 after rebate. I wouldn't use it for gaming, but if you just need to stretch the desktop and the gaming you do isn't very demanding , this should work.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814162114&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-Desktop+Graphics+Cards-_-N82E16814162114&gclid=CLDDr9G347YCFbFAMgod7CQAYg

gak0090

azrag228 wrote:If I switch out the power supply and install a good video card, will this be a decent gaming PC? I have an 800 watt power supply and a GeForce GTX 260 video card.

This is better, and will save you $10. It will make a real nice machine after adding the video card and updating the power supply
http://www.woot.com/offers/inspiron-quad-core-i5-desktop

tmklmk122990

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tmklmk122990

Will is support two montors without adding an extra graphics card?

gosh7001

quality posts: 5 Private Messages gosh7001
gak0090 wrote:I also like the A10 series. I built a home theater based on the A10-5800K. It has a respectable CPU and GPU passmark. The problem with today's offering is that HP manages to find the only socket FM2 motherboard without HDMI. Epic fail. They do this all the time with their A10s. So basically now if I want to make this into a mdeiacenter pc, I have to buy a separate videocard- and if I have to do that, now I would have to change out the paltry 300 watt *max* power supply. If you don't want this for a mediacenter, it's decent as is. If you intend to use this for a mediacenter prepare to spend some cash to upgrade it.

You really have a 50/50 shot in needing to buy another video card that passively transfers the sound via HDMI. In many cases, don't have to have a HDMI port. Just get a DVI to HDMI adapter and you are back in business. The only thing I am iffy about is how AMD addresses this in their onboard DVI port. I have seen it go both ways. Some do and some don't. Has anyone tried a DVI to HDMI adapter on this particular machine. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812186136

My bet, since it is AMD, is that it works since the legacy Radeon cards from 5 years ago do this. Worth it to check instead of buying a brand new video card.

novastarj

quality posts: 30 Private Messages novastarj

Not a bad system for the price, but it is inferior to this other HP desktop that was recently on sale in a Woot side sale for $50 cheaper:

http://sellout.woot.com/offers/hp-quad-core-desktop-w-1tb-hd-8

gak0090

gosh7001 wrote:You really have a 50/50 shot in needing to buy another video card that passively transfers the sound via HDMI. In many cases, don't have to have a HDMI port. Just get a DVI to HDMI adapter and you are back in business. The only thing I am iffy about is how AMD addresses this in their onboard DVI port. I have seen it go both ways. Some do and some don't. Has anyone tried a DVI to HDMI adapter on this particular machine. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812186136

My bet, since it is AMD, is that it works since the legacy Radeon cards from 5 years ago do this. Worth it to check instead of buying a brand new video card.

That might work, like you said it depends -and you might end up with an audio sync problem. It's just silly that you would engineer this system with these specs and not include a MB with built in HDMI- that would have cost them maybe an extra 20 cents per board. It's just poor product development.

billlh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages billlh
gak0090 wrote:I also like the A10 series. I built a home theater based on the A10-5800K. It has a respectable CPU and GPU passmark. The problem with today's offering is that HP manages to find the only socket FM2 motherboard without HDMI. Epic fail. They do this all the time with their A10s. So basically now if I want to make this into a mdeiacenter pc, I have to buy a separate videocard- and if I have to do that, now I would have to change out the paltry 300 watt *max* power supply. If you don't want this for a mediacenter, it's decent as is. If you intend to use this for a mediacenter prepare to spend some cash to upgrade it.

Why can't you just do a DVI-D to HDMI converter?

lostatsea211

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lostatsea211
krugger3 wrote:Windows 8 is not bad when you add the start button add-on. Running Google Chrome, it behaves much like 7.

How do you add the start button add on??

krugger3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages krugger3
lostatsea211 wrote:How do you add the start button add on??

http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

angrywooter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages angrywooter

How does this tower compare to the levono thinkstation offered yesterday?

mwarrenus

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mwarrenus
billlh wrote:Why can't you just do a DVI-D to HDMI converter?

You can! The video pins for DVI-D single-link and HDMI are identical and DVI to HDMI connectors cost less than $3.

HDMI adds pins for digital audio and CEC (Consumer Electronics Control) remote control signals. Many ATI Radeon video cards include a connector to route audio into the DVI connector (using the VGA pins).

Does anyone know whether this MSI MS-7778 Jasmine motherboard can send the A-10's S/PDIF onto the DVI connector too? (there are no analog VGA pins on this mainboard's DVI-D connector).

Edit: Doh! Same question was already asked.

bluemaple

azrag228 wrote:

If I switch out the power supply and install a good video card, will this be a decent gaming PC? I have an 800 watt power supply and a GeForce GTX 260 video card.

gak0090 wrote:This is better, and will save you $10. It will make a real nice machine after adding the video card and updating the power supply

@gak0090, agreed - that Woot Dell is a really nice system at a good price. 'Couldn't build it for less with an honest Windows install.

mwarrenus

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mwarrenus
RonnyBoy wrote:Does this motherboard support extra add-on video cards AND still allow the onboard video to function?

HP's technical specifications say no, but AMD's Radeon Dual Graphics page says sort-of if your add-on video is an AMD Radeon DirectX 11 capable card in their HD 6000 series.

Edit: AMD goes on to explain that while both graphics cards can be active, AMD CrossFireX only allows monitors connected to the "master" graphics device to remain enabled. AMD recommends pairing the A-10's Radeon HD 7660D with the AMD Radeon HD 6670 to more than double graphics perf.

beokabatukaba

quality posts: 1 Private Messages beokabatukaba

I bought a computer identical to this one except with Windows 7 and 10 Gb RAM about 8 months ago for $500.

All I can say is I was extremely impressed with its performance overall. My only complaint is the integrated graphics. It doesn't allow for much intensive gaming, but I'm not picky with how my games look; I just want them to run.

The hard drive gave out a couple months ago due to a manufacturing defect, but it was replaced for free. Customer service was nice and helpful, but it took about an hour on the phone to get it diagnosed and sorted out. Patience is always nice to have.

Everything works fine now!

Just understand that an AMD A10 is still well under an Intel i7 performance-wise.

indetrucks

quality posts: 3 Private Messages indetrucks
gak0090 wrote:This is better, and will save you $10. It will make a real nice machine after adding the video card and updating the power supply

Why? (serious question)
Also the one you suggested only has two memory slots.

bluemaple

gak0090 wrote:

This is better, and will save you $10. It will make a real nice machine after adding the video card and updating the power supply

indetrucks wrote:Why? (serious question)
Also the one you suggested only has two memory slots.

Fair question - the two systems are very similar.

So it comes down to brand preferences, HP vs. Dell and the following...

HP v Dell:
- AMD A10 v Intel i5 (I like the i5)
- 24 GB v 8 GB RAM limit (this might be a deal killer for gamers on the Dell but as a practical matter a non-issue for most folks)
- DVI/VGA v HDMI/VGA video connectors (no adapter needed on the Dell to drive any new TV/monitor and carries audio over as well, good for HTPC)
- 2 x USB 3.0 v 4 USB 3.0
- Bluetooth v no Bluetooth
- Have to burn your own recovery discs v included (nobody remembers/bothers to do this!)

wbelisle1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wbelisle1

Looks like a good deal, wondering if anyone knows whether this machine will support multiple screens. Trying to upgrade from my current machine.
Current Machine:http://www.woot.com/offers/hp-pavilion-p7-quad-core-desktop

behappi

quality posts: 1 Private Messages behappi

I have a small office. I currently use an HP with Win XP Pro and my server and network it to 5 workstations. I need to upgrade the server due to our "primary program" we use for business demanding more resources. I cannot upgrade my server any further on memory (maxed out at 2GB) The basics of this computer will be more than adequate. My questions it can I Network with Win8 or must I have the Pro version?

MrWizard1923

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MrWizard1923

Depends on what you're using it for. If you plan to add a video card and up the PS, might you not also want to boost the memory and have more than 5.1 sound?

With the Dell, you're stuck at 8GB RAM max in the 2 slots and only 5.1. With the HP at least you've got 4 memory slots and up to 32 RAM plus 7.1 sound.

Sure, the Dell has HDMI but if you put in a video card, what are you improving?

jacku

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jacku

This is a good, competent machine! I've been happy with it since I bought it here about 2 months ago. Good performance and relatively quiet. Recommended.

On the down side, I paid $30 more for it!

gak0090

billlh wrote:Why can't you just do a DVI-D to HDMI converter?

Yes, but your not guaranteed sound pass through, and if you do get sound through the DVI to HDMI adapter you have a potential for video/audio sync issues compared to HDMI out off the MB