WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

HP Desktops

A lot of people are confused about how to pronounce "HP." Is it "Hip"? Or "Heyyyp?" Well, we did a little research, and it turns out that the correct way to pronounce it is silence. That's right, both of the letters are silent in "HP." Now, can we interest you in a   ? 

Quality Posts

kroto

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kroto

what speed pci-e?

toesbelowmeknees

quality posts: 1 Private Messages toesbelowmeknees
kroto wrote:what speed pci-e?

Spec on the motherboard says it's version 2.0 so it should be 4Gbps per lane if memory serves...

I believe this is for the one with the A10-5700 (p7-1467c)

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c03517265&lang=en&cc=us&taskId=101&contentType=SupportFAQ&prodSeriesId=5295962&prodTypeId=12454

toesbelowmeknees

quality posts: 1 Private Messages toesbelowmeknees

I'm debating this one for an esxi install: P7-1467C

Anyone have any experience with this line? The 2TB HDD and 12GB make it appealing for that use!

smithjj

quality posts: 1 Private Messages smithjj

Does the HP P7-1415 come with an operating system installed? I see no mention of Windows or Linux on its page.

spsmyth

quality posts: 2 Private Messages spsmyth
smithjj wrote:Does the HP P7-1415 come with an operating system installed? I see no mention of Windows or Linux on its page.

Windows 8...

Steve S.

Former Apple tech and general IT guy.

ShadowTech

quality posts: 8 Private Messages ShadowTech

With as many refurbed HPs as I see popping up on Woot lately, I'm almost afraid to even be interested in buying one. I know that not all refurbs are due to failure, but a fairly large percentage are.. and HP has been having a TON of refurbs.

\o/

phileoca

quality posts: 12 Private Messages phileoca
spsmyth wrote:Windows 8...

windows 8. Which edition?
Home, Professional, Ultimate or Enterprise.

My wife woots too

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 605 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

phileoca wrote:windows 8. Which edition?
Home, Professional, Ultimate or Enterprise.

There's only:

Windows 8
Windows 8 Professional

This is Windows 8.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

spsmyth

quality posts: 2 Private Messages spsmyth

I buy factory refurbished all the time. I never have an issue. The fact is, they have to be recertified, which means that they have to test them as functional before they can send them out. DOA rates for new PCs are quite high, up to 12% in some cases. Better off getting one that is proven to work.

ShadowTech wrote:With as many refurbed HPs as I see popping up on Woot lately, I'm almost afraid to even be interested in buying one. I know that not all refurbs are due to failure, but a fairly large percentage are.. and HP has been having a TON of refurbs.

Steve S.

Former Apple tech and general IT guy.

cjsutherland

quality posts: 4 Private Messages cjsutherland

I have build my last two computers. I have also done a few for friends. This is the best deal for low level PC I have seen...well period.

The HP Pavilion P6-2378

That APU (A8-5800K) specs out quite close to the A10-5800K in CPU power and slightly further below in GPU performance.

But the CPU sells for $100. Windows 8 sells for $100. So for $150 you get that motherboard (has space to expand a dedicated GPU), 1TB Hard Drive, 300W Power Supply, Case, Mouse, and Keyboard.

Great deal. If I was in the market for a computer for a "low level gamer" or everyday user this would be purchased ASAP.

fessnord

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fessnord

I need to replace my aging Dell, and have been considering just building another and using the Dell case, but then there's all these refurbs, and adding up the cost of the components makes these kind of attractive. If I'm hoping to use this for image processing (and general home use), would either the i5-3330 or a10-5700 be a good choice? Also, I bought a GT430 and 450watt PS sometime last year for the Dell but never installed them, so they'd be going into whatever computer I buy.

Gdziuba

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Gdziuba

I have the A10 and love it. Works great for things like League and other low end gaming, but to get better frame rate and quality I am going to need to upgrade my graphics card. If I was going to upgrade where should I begin my search?

mikebwca

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mikebwca
ShadowTech wrote:With as many refurbed HPs as I see popping up on Woot lately, I'm almost afraid to even be interested in buying one. I know that not all refurbs are due to failure, but a fairly large percentage are.. and HP has been having a TON of refurbs.

I've purchased 4 of these Quad HP refurbished desktops (Windows 7). All have been excellent with no problems. 3 of them even had the original plastic film. 1 looks like it was used a bit.

I've researched the HP refurbs on their website. Some are from returns due to failures. Others are from canceled orders. Once a box leave the shipper, if returned for any reason, it cannot be sold new. Rather than sell them used, they go thru a refurbish process and are sold as refurbs.

Notes: 1 unit came with the wireless keyboard & mouse. Worthless! Sometimes they take a few minutes when powering on 0- probably a startup sequence issue. Thy disconnect at times and won;t reconnect. I tossed them both and got wired keyboard & mouse.

Also, I haven't purchased any more due to Windows 8! Offer these with Windows 7, and I'd purchase a few more.

mikebwca

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mikebwca
Gdziuba wrote:I have the A10 and love it. Works great for things like League and other low end gaming, but to get better frame rate and quality I am going to need to upgrade my graphics card. If I was going to upgrade where should I begin my search?

I have a A10 Quad 3.54gh running a Quad Ceton PCI-E cable card tuner streaming to an Xbox360, AND, a security system with 6 cameras with streaming, recording 24/7, and motion. And, I can run Startcraft 2. All this with the onboard graphics. I wasn't sure at first, but it runs very well. True, a graphics card would be better, but it works great for me as is.

tayyy3r

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tayyy3r

I've owned 2 HP products over the past 5 years. One desktop and one laptop. I'd steer clear of HP at all costs. Capacitors on the motherboard kept burning out and I've had to replace a fan on both the laptop and desktop. I'd go for something a bit nicer.

stevef2222

quality posts: 1 Private Messages stevef2222
ThunderThighs wrote:There's only:

Windows 8
Windows 8 Professional

This is Windows 8.

windows will only let you revert to windows 7, if you have win-8 pro..f.y.i.

LaKASkill

quality posts: 18 Private Messages LaKASkill

I have 2- HP H8-1214 that I purchased off Woot about a year ago and they are both still running strong with everyday use. If anyone is concerned about purchasing a refurb, just do it, you will not be disappointed.

dessndave

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dessndave

90% of the reason why there is so many HP Refurbs is due to people hating the major change from xp/vista/7 to 8.

I wish there was a mini system or even a lenovo m92 tiny with wifi & dvd burner for less then 400.
OS Unimportant as I will put a different OS.

Dave & Dessa

ashadipenguin

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ashadipenguin
Gdziuba wrote:I have the A10 and love it. Works great for things like League and other low end gaming, but to get better frame rate and quality I am going to need to upgrade my graphics card. If I was going to upgrade where should I begin my search?

There is a pretty useful list here. Also, a good rule of thumb to go by is that graphics cards built into the motherboard suck, Dedicated Graphics cards are more reliable because its, well, dedicated. NVidia and Radeon and all those big papi's are pretty reliable and well priced!

marvinbeaverdip

quality posts: 3 Private Messages marvinbeaverdip

For those that have purchased these HPs before; Do they come with a copy of the OS? My previous computers had until I got a dell, and then you could make a disk of the OS from a cab file. With these HPs, they mention in their support specs that they don't come with a "recovery" CD.. I'm just wondering if they come with anything, to allow you to reinstall at some point?

chado006

quality posts: 7 Private Messages chado006
marvinbeaverdip wrote:For those that have purchased these HPs before; Do they come with a copy of the OS? My previous computers had until I got a dell, and then you could make a disk of the OS from a cab file. With these HPs, they mention in their support specs that they don't come with a "recovery" CD.. I'm just wondering if they come with anything, to allow you to reinstall at some point?

Check out this discussion over here I had asked the same question down towards the bottom. In short, yes, you can create your own discs. There is also the option of ordering some from HP, which is linked earlier in the discussion.