quality posts: 3651 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

"good"review on the ML300 over at pcmag.com

lichme

quality posts: 3016 Private Messages lichme

83 Reviews on amazon for the 500, 4 star avg
Additional from Best Buy

JoeMarfice

quality posts: 3 Private Messages JoeMarfice

Hard to find the resolution info on this. It supports 1080p HDMI inputs, but that doesn't mean 1080p outputs.

AFAICT, the max output res is WXGA (1280 x 800) (according to the Amazon link).

tiktan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tiktan

300 lumens??? Really??? Just buy the hd20 or hd 180. They both has 1800 lumens and both is 1080p and only $150 more.

Bryan181

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Bryan181

I have the ML500 and really like it. In a dark room, it projects a 90" screen really well, though it doesn't take a lot of light to degrade the image at that size. I use it with my PS3, roku, PS2 (with an adapter), phone, etc.

One complaint I have is it doesn't have an audio out and its built in speakers aren't amazing. Most devices are easy enough to output audio separately, though.

Here's some info on it, too:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Optoma-ML500.htm

phishman79

quality posts: 1 Private Messages phishman79

I have the 500 and it's great. Bought it at Best Buy, they matched the price on amazon so it was around $520 new plus tax. So this is a pretty good deal. I'd buy one here if I didnt already have one. Love how small and portable it is! The LEDs basically last about 10 years at 4 hours a day or something so that's worth it alone. No expensive bulb to replace. You can't compare the lumens of this LED to other projectors. It's apples to oranges. Plenty bright but of course image quality and color are best in a dimmer room. Still very impressed and easily worth it for the money!

dwijster

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dwijster
Bryan181 wrote:I have the ML500 and really like it. In a dark room, it projects a 90" screen really well, though it doesn't take a lot of light to degrade the image at that size. I use it with my PS3, roku, PS2 (with an adapter), phone, etc.

One complaint I have is it doesn't have an audio out and its built in speakers aren't amazing. Most devices are easy enough to output audio separately, though.

Here's some info on it, too:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Optoma-ML500.htm

Audio Out? Isn't that what the HDMI is for? You get Audio and Video thru HDMI.

benofilis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages benofilis

I own the ML300. It is mounted vertically behind my bed so we can watch tv on the ceiling. It's a great little projector and throws a nice clear picture up there. No idea why I would want 1800 lumens projected on my ceiling. It's totally viewable at 300. I wanted a LED based projector for heat, durability and noise concerns and this hasn't disappointed.

Bryan181

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Bryan181
dwijster wrote:Audio Out? Isn't that what the HDMI is for? You get Audio and Video thru HDMI.

Hdmi will put through through to the projector's speakers (which are fine in a pinch, but you don't want to listen to a movie on em), but there's no way to go from the projector to speakers if your device doesn't have a separate audio out. And if your device does have a separate audio out, it means running more cables. Kind of a pain.