Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3650 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Decent reviews (3.3 out of 5.0) over at amazon

heartburnkid

quality posts: 4 Private Messages heartburnkid

Anybody know if the USB port can charge a Blackberry Bold? I've had more problems with this thing accepting an aftermarket charger...

mrericreed

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mrericreed

I had one of these...two issues:
- the thing made an annoying electrical hiss that made me think my life would end with an electrical fire.
- the charger turns itself off when your device is charged...even if you are using it. So suddenly your laptop dies even though it's still plugged in. Or you jump up to go to the cafe and find that you have 2% battery.

jenllip

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jenllip
mrericreed wrote:I had one of these...two issues:
- the thing made an annoying electrical hiss that made me think my life would end with an electrical fire.
- the charger turns itself off when your device is charged...even if you are using it. So suddenly your laptop dies even though it's still plugged in. Or you jump up to go to the cafe and find that you have 2% battery.

Totally agree about the weird electrical noise. It's not so much unnerving as annoying. It's just low enough that you're not sure you really hear it, and then once you do, you can't not hear it.

I haven't found that it turns off once my laptop is charged, but it is annoying to remember to push the button to turn it on after plugging it in. ("but it IS plugged in! why did it die on me?!")

All that said, I've been using it regularly as my on-the-go power supply for my laptop. It does what it's supposed to, at a good price.

------------------
Jen

vchposton

quality posts: 3 Private Messages vchposton

I have one of these, but with AC and DC power plugs. I think a "travel" adapter should have both.

I am in slight need of another, but I'll wait until the AC/DC unit comes back.

For Those About To Buy This (We Salute You)

--
Jim

Brigadier of Carolling record: 8 for 24

mdavies

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mdavies

I've been using this as my travel laptop charger for a couple of years now. And it is the least green product I own. why? because it has taught me to keep my laptop open. If I close my laptop, it shuts off, and waits until the battery is somewhat depleted (and more importantly, my phone, which is plugged into the USB charging port, is significantly more depleted) before it starts charging again.

So what do I do? I keep my laptop open all night - let the screen turn off, sure, but the rest of the system is still pulling full power. I do this primarily because I was waking up with my phone at half - not acceptable given that I'm going to be using it all day.

That is the most annoying thing about it. The second most annoying thing about it is that you have to remember to turn it on. Clearly it should default to on when you plug it in...that was a really dumb design decision.

As for the noise - yeah, it gives off a funny hiss that fluctuates, but it really isn't enough to matter.

Would I recommend this? no, especially not with more airlines adding 110v power outlets. I've bought the past three after market chargers woot has sold (I keep one everywhere so I don't have to move it around), but I still use this one for travel because of the airlines that still have the cigarette lighter style power outlets. If I didn't already have this, I'd find another one. Of course, I bought this in an emergency at the airport for $110 while traveling to London because mine had died, so I want to make sure I get my money's worth out of this!

mdavies

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mdavies
vchposton wrote:I have one of these, but with AC and DC power plugs. I think a "travel" adapter should have both.

I am in slight need of another, but I'll wait until the AC/DC unit comes back.

For Those About To Buy This (We Salute You)

It has the port for the DC adapter - I agree it seems strange that it doesn't include that cord - it's a small addition to the rest of this. It's a pretty standard cord, though.

vchposton

mdavies wrote:It has the port for the DC adapter - I agree it seems strange that it doesn't include that cord

Apparently, the iGo PS00133-2007 has both cords. That's what I bought last time. (This one is the iGo PS00132-2007)

--
Jim

paulconig

quality posts: 1 Private Messages paulconig

So wait a sec,

Can someone explain to me as to why on the output side of this adapter there is an additional "female barrel plug".

I get the output cable and USB outputs (obviously), but what is this additional plug used for??

(3rd pic, plug all the way to the right).

Thanks for any help!!!

Eric379

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Eric379
paulconig wrote:So wait a sec,

Can someone explain to me as to why on the output side of this adapter there is an additional "female barrel plug".

I get the output cable and USB outputs (obviously), but what is this additional plug used for??

(3rd pic, plug all the way to the right).

Thanks for any help!!!

12 volt power input. To run the adapter from a 12v source, just add a cable from a lighter plug to that barrel connector.

hexler

quality posts: 3 Private Messages hexler

Best buy a charger built for your specific laptop than buying iGo brand. Common problem is that they don't fit brands that they specifically say they should. I bought one, none of the tips fit even though my brand was listed. Contacted customer service because they claimed they would send a tip for free if none fit . CS said a tip wasn't currently available for my computer and to contact again in 6 weeks. Literally emailed 6 times times speaking to multiple reps and never sent a tip. Total disaster. I have found that HP chargers will fit multiple HP models of same screen size. HP charger from 3 years ago fits my new HP. So I have an extra charger because of that. iGo is a no go. Good luck getting them to send a free tip because it's a load of crap.

oneilz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages oneilz

Anyone know if this will actually charge a Dell. Most universal chargers only power the Dell laptop but won't charge the battery.

mffenton

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mffenton

I bought this last time it was on here despite a lot of negative reviews. I needed a travel adapter for my HP Elitebook. I have had no issues with this charger at all. HP does have a lower power requirement than some Dell laptops so other negative reviews may be warranted but I have had nothing but good luck with mine.

keepsloanweird

quality posts: 0 Private Messages keepsloanweird

This power adapter won't work with the Lenovo W500 series. Those ship with a 170W brick. Various reports online say that the 90W iGo will allow you to run the laptop but not charge it. However there's nothing official to support that claim.

thejumpster

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thejumpster
oneilz wrote:Anyone know if this will actually charge a Dell. Most universal chargers only power the Dell laptop but won't charge the battery.

Yep, mine is powering my Dell nicely even as I type this. I've been very happy with this unit. I bought a second one for the luxury of not having to move the charger around with the laptop, and both work great with the Dell. Also, I don't hear an electrical buzz from either of them. Maybe I'm too deaf.

vchposton

oneilz wrote:Anyone know if this will actually charge a Dell. Most universal chargers only power the Dell laptop but won't charge the battery.

Yeah, this charges my Dell just fine. I have a Latitude E6510 and my kids have Alienware M11x's, which require 90W. They run and charge fine.

My wife has an Alienware M15x. The charger will only run that beast, it won't charge it. The stock Alienware adapter is 150W.

--
Jim

Ninkumpoop

quality posts: 27 Private Messages Ninkumpoop

Meh, mine seemed to work fine, just had to remember to push the green button, but after about six months the big green button stopped working.

drtofu101

quality posts: 1 Private Messages drtofu101

I have the PS00133-2007. Looks exactly the same as this one. And it WILL power a Dell XPS M1330 and a M1340 but will NOT charge the battery.
Can anybody confirm if this can charge the battery on the XPS?

Thanks

vchposton wrote:Yeah, this charges my Dell just fine. I have a Latitude E6510 and my kids have Alienware M11x's, which require 90W. They run and charge fine.

My wife has an Alienware M15x. The charger will only run that beast, it won't charge it. The stock Alienware adapter is 150W.

vchposton

drtofu101 wrote:I have the PS00133-2007. Looks exactly the same as this one. And it WILL power a Dell XPS M1330 and a M1340 but will NOT charge the battery.
Can anybody confirm if this can charge the battery on the XPS?

I have the PS00133 also. It's powerful enough to charge the M1330 (I thought that comes with a 65W power adapter?)

Didn't Dell do something in firmware to neuter 3rd party chargers? I have some M1530's laying around, and I seem to remember an annoying DOS message warning about a non-Dell power adapter.

--
Jim

drtofu101

quality posts: 1 Private Messages drtofu101

Yes, it should be powerful enough. I think all the new Dell has the same problem. I tried it on a new Inspiron and it won't charge the battery. Note it does power the laptop. Something is stopping it from charging the battery.

On iGo website it said this is compatible. But I want to make sure.

vchposton wrote:I have the PS00133 also. It's powerful enough to charge the M1330 (I thought that comes with a 65W power adapter?)

Didn't Dell do something in firmware to neuter 3rd party chargers? I have some M1530's laying around, and I seem to remember an annoying DOS message warning about a non-Dell power adapter.

frozen1g1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages frozen1g1

I bought this charger on a business trip when I discovered I had left my charger at home. It was on sale at Best Buy for $49, I think. It has been great! I use it as my main plug when working at home because I can use the usb plug for my phone right next to it.
The cord from brick to laptop is a little on the short side, probably only 3ft. From brick to wall is a decent length (~6ft.)
It comes with several adapters for different laptops.
The auto-off feature is interesting - does what it is supposed to do. Nice if shutting down laptop and then plugging in to recharge overnight. Good "recharging powercord with auto-shutoff" feature....would be one way to look at it.
Mine does not have a hiss that others have described.

Good product - almost bought another one, but my wife and I already have 4 laptop power cords for the same 2 model laptop.

-I'd like to buy the world a woot!
and keep it company.

otaku13

quality posts: 0 Private Messages otaku13

I have never gotten mine to stay on when using it with my asus netbooks, which are well within the power requirements. push the dumb button charges for 2 minutes, turns itself off again. Stay away.

db7

quality posts: 1 Private Messages db7

I was looking for another power adapter just today. Too bad it is not powerful enough for my Asus, which requires 120W.

imonit

quality posts: 0 Private Messages imonit
heartburnkid wrote:Anybody know if the USB port can charge a Blackberry Bold? I've had more problems with this thing accepting an aftermarket charger...

Yes - I can confirm that it does. I have both.