4%
4%
9%
0%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

• (12:15 AM, 4/7/2013) conanthelibrarian looks at comments from a previous sale.

lichme

quality posts: 2767 Private Messages lichme

Here is the review from Expert Reviews, which gave it a 5 star rating.

[MOD: Slightly different processor.]

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3353 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Some good comments from when this was last sold back in February.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 563 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

And before the comments come up about the price, this is a business-grade laptop (vs consumer) so it has a tougher build to withstand lots of travel and use.

FORUM MODERATOR.............ON VACATION!
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

ericshmerick

quality posts: 7 Private Messages ericshmerick

Not a T, W or X series so not a real Thinkpad. And 1366 on a 15" screen...a Lenovo non IPS panel?

Oh the humanity. Run in the opposite direction!!!

I love and use Thinkpads but lets be honest, this is a Best Buy special, regardless of what woot says. It simply doesn't measure up to the Thinkpad name. More like a cheap consumer Ideapad...

baddog32

quality posts: 0 Private Messages baddog32

Where are all the buyers and commentors tonight? Did everyone go to bed early? We need more comments to be able to make good decisions.

eno45

quality posts: 7 Private Messages eno45
baddog32 wrote:Where are all the buyers and commentors tonight? Did everyone go to bed early? We need more comments to be able to make good decisions.

Was about ready to go to bed but thought I would help you out.

Nothing special. Basic specs. $600 or less is what that goes for already. No SSD, No 8gb+ Ram, Low resolution screen. Now $349 - $399 I would think is a Woot worthy special but not at $599. What am I missing that warrants such a price. Now time for bed. ZZZzzZZZzzz

Expat444

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Expat444
ThunderThighs wrote:And before the comments come up about the price, this is a business-grade laptop (vs consumer) so it has a tougher build to withstand lots of travel and use.

Nope, it's just a bad 'deal', at $300 it would be good deal, at $600 it's a joke.

thebobbinator57

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thebobbinator57

Just like like Lenovo L512 (1st gen i5 processor) that was woot'd a while back. It is as work horse... This has a 2nd gen i5 processor. I highly recommend swapping the spinning drive for a nice SSD and going for more RAM as well. These come crapped up with a ton of bloatware and useless Lenovo utilities, so if you have access to a spare Windows license... just do a fresh install and save yourself the headaches of de-crappifying the factory install. Wish they would add USB 3.0 to these... But just as easy to pickup an express card for cheap.

Solid laptop for work or (some) play!

motoroller77

quality posts: 0 Private Messages motoroller77
thebobbinator57 wrote:But just as easy to pickup an express card for cheap.

BTW, I can't see this slot on pictures applied.

mmacat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mmacat

This is not a good "deal". Better off going to Lenovo Outlet. ie. right now there's a u410 ultrabook 8GB RAM 1TB hard drive for less.

gusvonpooch

quality posts: 24 Private Messages gusvonpooch
Expat444 wrote:Nope, it's just a bad 'deal', at $300 it would be good deal, at $600 it's a joke.

Why do I get the feeling that if this was $275 you would still think it should be an even lower price?

asjxvii

quality posts: 0 Private Messages asjxvii

Poor quality. Had problems with the system shutting down unexpectedly and losing data. Avoid this laptop, and Lenovo in general.

xtoclark

quality posts: 0 Private Messages xtoclark

Agreed. Avoid Lenovo.

On my T61, the power cord frayed twice and quit working. This is considering that on the second one I took care of it extremely well (not bending it, renforced the bending joint points).

Will never buy another lenovo again.

On _my model_ perhaps not this one, the speakers were TERRIBLE ( I had to placee the laptop sometimes directly by my ear to hear anything), the screen was horrendous (terrible viewing angle, low light output).

Yadda yadda, "business grade." That's how some people excuse the huge flaws this laptop has.

numberonenewwoot

quality posts: 1 Private Messages numberonenewwoot

This laptop is about $350 overpriced.

nanaejt

quality posts: 3 Private Messages nanaejt
numberonenewwoot wrote:This laptop is about $350 overpriced.

Now really how silly is this comment ?

sfidance

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sfidance
xtoclark wrote:Agreed. Avoid Lenovo.

On my T61, the power cord frayed twice and quit working. This is considering that on the second one I took care of it extremely well (not bending it, renforced the bending joint points).

Will never buy another lenovo again.

On _my model_ perhaps not this one, the speakers were TERRIBLE ( I had to placee the laptop sometimes directly by my ear to hear anything), the screen was horrendous (terrible viewing angle, low light output).

Yadda yadda, "business grade." That's how some people excuse the huge flaws this laptop has.

I'm going to have to chime in here and back up the validity of the "business grade" claim. I have a T61 as well, which I got in late 2007. It has spent about half of it's time as a college note taker (getting slammed around in a book laden bag) and the other half as a bedside computer. In its latter role, it has survived years of handling just by the corners (with the lid open) and all sorts of flexing of the power cord. The original cord did give out just past the strain relief, but you know what? I paid $8 on ebay for a generic replacement and haven't had any issues since. I repair laptops for people, and I've replaced many laptop power supplies, so a power cord failure is not something particular to one brand. Overall, my T61 has survived MANY drops, including falling down stairs, and all the abuse my toddler tries to throw at it. Did it have the best specs for the price, or great speakers and screen? No. But am I glad I bought it over another, less well built brand considering the abuse it's taken? Yes. I don't know how well the L series stack up to the T series, but don't bash ThinkPads without considering their engineering and build.

gkcmilner

quality posts: 4 Private Messages gkcmilner

I would definitely opt for a business class laptop...just not this one. My wife has one for work and it's a piece. It's huge, clunky and does not live up to the old ThinkPad standards. There is quite a bit of flex on and behind the keyboard (this NEVER use to be the case with older ThinkPads) and the plastic pieces just don't seem to fit perfectly together. I am comparing this too my Elitebook which is still clunky, but is extremely solid and precision built. But what really kills it for me is that this is a 15.6" display with the same resolution as my smart phone!

werekong

quality posts: 7 Private Messages werekong

I have to agree with the vast majority of comments. I bought a similar Thinkpad during the before Christmas specials directly from Lenovo for about $50 less. I have not regretted the purchase, but mine has a 3rd gen i5, a solid state HD + 1TB HD, 8GB ram, and two of its USB's are 3.0 (I don't remember the screen resolution, but it seems sufficient). The Thinkpad offered here is less (features) for more (money). Glad I got mine when I did.

lordpessimism

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lordpessimism

I'm going to back up sfidance here. The average lifespan I've seen of Thinkpads is 6-8 years. My wife just replaced hers after only 5 years, but I attribute the shortened lifespan to toddler-inflicted damage.

As for the power cords fraying, this is a pet peeve of mine, and every laptop on the market suffers from it. The part of the power cord that has the highest stress on it - the point where it goes into the laptop - is attached to the expensive part - the brick. If they designed it so that both cords detached from the brick, it would be a $2 replacement.

dpwellman

quality posts: 7 Private Messages dpwellman

The L Series is close to the T series, but even the T series has gotten quite beastly (size-wise) since the T6x/z6x series and worse over time. It's unfortunate that Lenovo seems to have squandered the once "Cadillac" mystique of the ThinkPad brand-- so much so that the vaunted IBM now looks elsewhere (I think also since they are embracing Fedora OS in lieu of Windows, as well, but I digress).

To get to the sveltness of the T4x series, had to pony up for a T4xxS and now a T4xxU.

Yet, this is still a notebook, however and it does share most of the construction qualities that make a ThinkPad a ThinkPad (magnesium alloy chassis with "roll cage", spill resistant keyboard, HD shock sensor, ThinkLight, etc), but you will sacrifice features compared to a T series or a mid level offering from another company such as Asus or Sony: worse screen, middling processor, weak graphics, and unspectacular battery life, and portability. I don't know if the L series are dock-able or not.

What's the point of a signature? Everyone can see who wrote this, over there, to the left.

taimeili

quality posts: 6 Private Messages taimeili

This is a nice machine with a price that you should not buy.

thebobbinator57

motoroller77 wrote:BTW, I can't see this slot on pictures applied.

Check the picture of the left side of the laptop. Express slot is right above the Display Port and headphone out.

dmsuperman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dmsuperman

I just got in the mail a refurb T410 (lenovo refurb). It has: the same CPU, larger vertical resolution, 160GB SSD, 8GB RAM, wireless n, windows 7. It was $150 less than this deal, and seems to be superior in every detail.

Can somebody shed some light on this L series model? Or did I just get real lucky?

thebobbinator57

This model appears to be the Lenovo L520 7859-35U.

Here's a link to the spec sheet on shop.lenovo.com:

http://www.lenovo.com/shop/americas/content/pdf/system_data/l520_tech_specs.pdf

This particular L520 has an Intel Core i5-2520M processor (dual-core, 2.50GHz, 3MB Cache),
DDR3 memory controller (up to 1333MHz), Intel Turbo Boost 2.0 (3.20GHz), HT technology

Hyper-threading is good for you.

mwinkykitty

quality posts: 5 Private Messages mwinkykitty
ThunderThighs wrote:And before the comments come up about the price, this is a business-grade laptop (vs consumer) so it has a tougher build to withstand lots of travel and use.

Is "tougher build" salesman lingo for "bigger and heavier"? Because that's generally a negative thing when it comes to laptops.

Let me see if I get this straight.. this is bigger, heavier, and more expensive than a normal laptop of similar specs? In for 10!

geekwench

quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekwench
mmacat wrote:This is not a good "deal". Better off going to Lenovo Outlet. ie. right now there's a u410 ultrabook 8GB RAM 1TB hard drive for less.

Umm...no, there isn't.

blakebrinkley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blakebrinkley
geekwench wrote:Umm...no, there isn't.

I looked too. Was hoping to find something good.

Expat444

gusvonpooch wrote:Why do I get the feeling that if this was $275 you would still think it should be an even lower price?

Nope, if it was $275 I would have bought one.

gusvonpooch

quality posts: 24 Private Messages gusvonpooch
Expat444 wrote:Nope, if it was $275 I would have bought one.

Nope,at $275 they would have sold out long ago

Expat444

gusvonpooch wrote:Nope,at $275 they would have sold out long ago

Right, because that would have actually been a good deal.