WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Laptops, Schmaptops

Turns out you're not supposed to actually use laptops on your LAP, because (a) they can overheat and (b) they can damage your special parts. Here are some alternative names: Notebook, Lil' 'Puter, Cat Warmer, and Silicon Taco.

glenncol

quality posts: 0 Private Messages glenncol

The Inspiron is a great deal, but the 32GB SSD drive is a little undersized. I know you want to boot from this and only put windows on this drive, but Windows 8 takes 20 GB alone, before updates. Not quite enough wiggle room for me. Otherwise, I'd jump on this fo sho!

nhewey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nhewey

Looking at the pics, does the Dell Inspiron 17R-5720 only come in pink?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 542 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

nhewey wrote:Looking at the pics, does the Dell Inspiron 17R-5720 only come in pink?

I'm double checking but usually our sales are you get what's pictured.

Update: Yep, pretty in pink is all we have.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

daves1646

quality posts: 0 Private Messages daves1646

Win8 with a NON-touchscreen is a NON-starter.
Even a deep discount price doesn't get ya over the pain of using a touch driven operating system with a mouse.
Tried cursoring a tablet screen up and down with BT keyboard arrow keys lately ...

Moueska

quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska
daves1646 wrote:Win8 with a NON-touchscreen is a NON-starter.
Even a deep discount price doesn't get ya over the pain of using a touch driven operating system with a mouse.
Tried cursoring a tablet screen up and down with BT keyboard arrow keys lately ...

I heard that the "desktop" function for Win 8 is still there, the "cute tablet" function is just the "New Big Thang" that they are using as a "feature" selling point.

Sokudoningyou

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Sokudoningyou
Moueska wrote:I heard that the "desktop" function for Win 8 is still there, the "cute tablet" function is just the "New Big Thang" that they are using as a "feature" selling point.

But it's still stupid. If they wanted to integrate the same OS across their phones, tablets, and laptops, they should realize two out of the three have touchscreens, which means a laptop without a touchscreen running Win 8 is minimally functionally crippled. And driving people nuts.

Which is why I was glad I could get a custom laptop at Toshiba with Win 7. (And it's arriving in two days, woo!)

tc1uscg

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tc1uscg

Why are all these 17's? Guess they are finding out 17's are NOT a good notebook to be hauling around. 15's are the sweet spot.

TC1 USCG Ret

Mike G.

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Mike G.

just bought the soon off to college offsprung the HP i7 with a better sound card and 4 gig more ram for 1000 from costco...finger hovering over the buy button as this is a pretty sweet deal.. daddy needs an uograde

Mike G

aeneasvt

quality posts: 1 Private Messages aeneasvt

But it's still stupid. If they wanted to integrate the same OS across their phones, tablets, and laptops, they should realize two out of the three have touchscreens, which means a laptop without a touchscreen running Win 8 is minimally functionally crippled. And driving people nuts.

Which is why I was glad I could get a custom laptop at Toshiba with Win 7. (And it's arriving in two days, woo!)[/quote]

Good to know about the Win8 problems, as I don't plan to buy a touchscreen anything. Can anybody link to more information about the frustrations with it/the way to run "desktop" mode on Win8 if you can? Thanks!

dannlank

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dannlank
aeneasvt wrote:Good to know about the Win8 problems, as I don't plan to buy a touchscreen anything. Can anybody link to more information about the frustrations with it/the way to run "desktop" mode on Win8 if you can? Thanks!

Most of the articles I have found reference third party applications to emulate the old Win 7 desktop. I installed Win 8 on a laptop and I hated it, until I liked it. Windows Server 2012 uses the Metro interface as well.

You can type from the Start screen and it automatically searches your apps. Also, a right mouse click brings up a "charm" to view all apps. Once you discover all the charms things get a lot more intuitive. There might even be one to soothe the restless dreams of youth, but I haven't found it yet.

spacefox

quality posts: 2 Private Messages spacefox

ANother question for all you savvy folks out there:
I just want a laptop to run that Dragon (?) voice to text software as I am a cruddy typist and the software for a black-and-white TV (which I mainly use) seems expensive and reviews have not been impressive. I just want that and for my kiddo to be able to play PBS kids games while I do my homework on my Macbook. Sorry to be a needy nelly, but is that $375 laptop a good idea for me or not?
Thanks!

spacefox

quality posts: 2 Private Messages spacefox
spacefox wrote:ANother question for all you savvy folks out there:
I just want a laptop to run that Dragon (?) voice to text software as I am a cruddy typist and the software for a black-and-white TV (which I mainly use) seems expensive and reviews have not been impressive. I just want that and for my kiddo to be able to play PBS kids games while I do my homework on my Macbook. Sorry to be a needy nelly, but is that $375 laptop a good idea for me or not?
Thanks!

"black and white TV" = non-PC laptop that I do all my homework on? I swear I typed "m a c" just then...

Moueska

quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska
spacefox wrote:"black and white TV" = non-PC laptop that I do all my homework on? I swear I typed "m a c" just then...

OOO!!! NEW FILTERS!!!

Nostalgia might be the theme.

Bunch of 60s Cartoons
black-and-white TV
Yabba Dabba Doo!

EDIT:

Wait, no, it's still Hanna-Barbera.

kokodady

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kokodady

can u replace the DVD to BD player on this laptop ?

Does the keyboard has backlit ?

timthetortoise

quality posts: 4 Private Messages timthetortoise
dannlank wrote:Most of the articles I have found reference third party applications to emulate the old Win 7 desktop. I installed Win 8 on a laptop and I hated it, until I liked it. Windows Server 2012 uses the Metro interface as well.

You can type from the Start screen and it automatically searches your apps. Also, a right mouse click brings up a "charm" to view all apps. Once you discover all the charms things get a lot more intuitive. There might even be one to soothe the restless dreams of youth, but I haven't found it yet.

If functionality isn't obvious and has to actually be discovered, isn't that complete opposite of "intuitive?"

me54350

quality posts: 0 Private Messages me54350
nhewey wrote:Looking at the pics, does the Dell Inspiron 17R-5720 only come in pink?

I'm pretty sure the lids are interchangeable on these laptops...so for $15 or so you can get another color to replace the pink insert

bsmith1

quality posts: 102 Private Messages bsmith1

Silicon Taco just sounds wrong...

stantonl33

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stantonl33
timthetortoise wrote:If functionality isn't obvious and has to actually be discovered, isn't that complete opposite of "intuitive?"

Agreed! +1

dannlank

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dannlank
timthetortoise wrote:If functionality isn't obvious and has to actually be discovered, isn't that complete opposite of "intuitive?"

You make a good point. I think what I was aiming for was more along the lines of "familiar".

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 542 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Moueska wrote:OOO!!! NEW FILTERS!!!

Nostalgia might be the theme.

Bunch of 60s Cartoons
black-and-white TV
Yabba Dabba Doo!

EDIT:

Wait, no, it's still Hanna-Barbera.

Actually 60s Cartoons. Will be changing later today hopefully.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

captainkhyron

quality posts: 1 Private Messages captainkhyron
aeneasvt wrote:But it's still stupid. If they wanted to integrate the same OS across their phones, tablets, and laptops, they should realize two out of the three have touchscreens, which means a laptop without a touchscreen running Win 8 is minimally functionally crippled. And driving people nuts.

Which is why I was glad I could get a custom laptop at Toshiba with Win 7. (And it's arriving in two days, woo!)

Good to know about the Win8 problems, as I don't plan to buy a touchscreen anything. Can anybody link to more information about the frustrations with it/the way to run "desktop" mode on Win8 if you can? Thanks![/quote]

http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

philosopherott

quality posts: 3 Private Messages philosopherott

AMEN!

daves1646 wrote:Win8 with a NON-touchscreen is a NON-starter.

philosopherott

quality posts: 3 Private Messages philosopherott

Perhaps their have been enough hauling around laptops so far and desktop replacements are what people are looking for?

tc1uscg wrote:Why are all these 17's? Guess they are finding out 17's are NOT a good notebook to be hauling around. 15's are the sweet spot.

nalacat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nalacat

Not sure what you're looking for but I prefer using the desktop, not the start tile screen. Found that using the "windows icon key" on the key board switches you between the two.

dannlank wrote:Most of the articles I have found reference third party applications to emulate the old Win 7 desktop. I installed Win 8 on a laptop and I hated it, until I liked it. Windows Server 2012 uses the Metro interface as well.

wisenekt

quality posts: 29 Private Messages wisenekt

So I bought one of the laptops and then bought a SquareTrade warranty. However though, I am wondering if I should have waited till I actually have the laptop just in case something happens and the sale is cancelled. Anyone have any experience with this and what would you recommend?

hermeezey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hermeezey

Does the ENVY DV7 come with a stock warranty by HP or do i have to Squaretrade.

fishphotogal

quality posts: 2 Private Messages fishphotogal

I just don't see any down side to using Win8 on my ancient laptop. The desktop area works just fine, and the most useful "gesture" stuff is just a matter of mousing over whatever corner. What makes 7 better?

But the real question is, any chance these will be delivered promptly? Woot's record on shipping time and method has been piss poor and getting worse for a long while. I can't recommend the neighbor sink 4 or 5 bills into a laptop that will drop in value by another 20% before it shows up.
Leak frogs are one thing, Woot, but a laptop??

mtgoldma

quality posts: 5 Private Messages mtgoldma

I'm confused about the HP Pavilion G7-2291NR. According to the HP website, it's not a dual core processor unless I'm missing something. This would probably make the difference for me (and I know the time is limited before they run out or this deal ends). Can someone from staff chime in?

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c03562718

jaber99

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jaber99

I've been burned too many times by HP laptops in the past (especially it's chargers) - and vowed never to buy them again. And now, even with great specs, I can't bring myself to buy from them.

edlorenz7

quality posts: 0 Private Messages edlorenz7

So what's wrong with the HP Pavilion G7-2243US? I'm ok with the win8 thing, I have my own copy of 7 to load anyway. Looks like a good laptop for the price.

raglan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages raglan
nalacat wrote:Not sure what you're looking for but I prefer using the desktop, not the start tile screen. Found that using the "windows icon key" on the key board switches you between the two.

I got so frustrated getting swapped out of games that I ripped all the "windows keys" off my keyboard. No windows 8 on my desktop at least.

vpasumarthi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vpasumarthi

Got my laptop today, laptop doesn't boot. Created a service ticket with HP to get it fixed.

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 152 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

vpasumarthi wrote:Got my laptop today, laptop doesn't boot. Created a service ticket with HP to get it fixed.

Sorry to hear you're experiencing issues with your order.

If you're unable to resolve the problem with HP, please feel free to contact Woot Member Services at support@woot.com and let them know.