quality posts: 3812 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Lots of great reviews (4.3 out of 5.0) over at amazon

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 605 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Oh hey, lookie here. It's a new site!

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

spizmar

quality posts: 11 Private Messages spizmar
ThunderThighs wrote:Oh hey, lookie here. It's a new site!

Dear Lord, will this never end? I hope "Tools & Garden" is just woot's idea of a sick joke. "One deal, one day", my butt! [swigs off the whiskey bottle]

ThunderThighs

Staff

spizmar wrote:Dear Lord, will this never end? I hope "Tools & Garden" is just woot's idea of a sick joke. "One deal, one day", my butt! [swigs off the whiskey bottle]

Wait, your butt has one deal a day? I wish my dog had the same set up.

FORUM MODERATOR
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

conanthelibrarian

Solid reviews (4.0 out of 5.0) on the HD180 over at amazon

conanthelibrarian

Lots of additional pictures and information on the HD180 over at optomausa.com

orrlizzie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages orrlizzie

Ok, kind of dumb question, is the bulb new...even though the projector is refurbished and all?

ZLoth

quality posts: 22 Private Messages ZLoth

Too bad I don't have the money, otherwise my question would be "What would be a good carrying case for this projector?" You see, I've been needing a projector for presentations. And, I'm not just thinking Toastmasters either.

Yes, wouldn't it be fun to have a "Do Want" button. Then, Woot might give away one of these products. I know, wishful thinking.

ThunderThighs

Staff

ZLoth wrote:Too bad I don't have the money, otherwise my question would be "What would be a good carrying case for this projector?" You see, I've been needing a projector for presentations. And, I'm not just thinking Toastmasters either.

Yes, wouldn't it be fun to have a "Do Want" button. Then, Woot might give away one of these products. I know, wishful thinking.

They make Carrying cases especially for projectors. They're available at other places as well.

FORUM MODERATOR

Jayhawks79

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Jayhawks79

We bought a refurbished HD20 off here last year. We love it. Haven't had any issues with it whatsoever. Amazing picture quality, especially for the price. Paired it with a 120" screen from Amazon. I would recommend one to anyone with the space for a proper home theater setup.

AzureFields

quality posts: 0 Private Messages AzureFields

Also picked up a HD20 a while ago, it gets a lot of compliments. As for a case it fits well in an old Gpack case made for an xbox360, not sure if those may be cheaper then optoma direct.

Xuber

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Xuber
orrlizzie wrote:Ok, kind of dumb question, is the bulb new...even though the projector is refurbished and all?

I'm wondering the same thing.

nova1313

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nova1313

The bulb I got with mine showed ~30 hours of life used on the projectors counter. No idea if that bulb had 30 hours on it or just the chassis did.

I've run it a few hundred hours now without problem.

Also note that if you have 240p signals (older videogame systems) the composite video in doesn't like them. Most times it won't even pick up the signal. YMMV!

cstumph

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cstumph

I would not recommend buying this projector. I picked up a similar model, the GT360, less than 8 months ago and it's already having problems.

Here's what you need to know:
-This only has a 90-day warranty as opposed to the 1-year warranty on new models.
-Your warranty period starts on the date encoded in your serial number, not on the date of purchase. You may have no warranty at all when it arrives.
-Optoma DLP projectors have issues with faulty DMD chips and will end up having white "stuck" pixels all over your image eventually, most likely before the bulb needs replaced.
-Replacing the DMD chip will run at least $350 for parts, $100 for labor, and $25 for shipping.

I'd recommend staying far away from the Optoma brand, especially refurbished ones.

gizmodocrazy

quality posts: 4 Private Messages gizmodocrazy
cstumph wrote:I would not recommend buying this projector. I picked up a similar model, the GT360, less than 8 months ago and it's already having problems.

-This only has a 90-day warranty as opposed to the 1-year warranty on new models.
-Your warranty period starts on the date encoded in your serial number, not on the date of purchase. You may have no warranty at all when it arrives.
-Optoma DLP projectors have issues with faulty DMD chips and will end up having white "stuck" pixels all over your image eventually, most likely before the bulb needs replaced.
-Replacing the DMD chip will run at least $350 for parts, $100 for labor, and $25 for shipping.

I'd recommend staying far away from the Optoma brand, especially refurbished ones.

no idea about refurbished but way after I purchased my new optoma hd72 the bulb went out. it only made half the life advertised so I called them and complained. not only did they take it back to replace the bulb, but they replaced the ballast as well after it did not pass testing before being shipped back to me (I saw this on the printout from the repair dept.). YMMV.

cougar3429

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cougar3429

I've had the HD20 for just over 3 years. I bought it new, and have had no problems with it. The picture is wonderful. The only thing that I don't like about it is that I have to prop up the rear of the projector several inches. It looks as though it should show the picture on the floor, but that's what I need to do to make it hit the screen properly. This creates a bit of a keystone issue. I max out the keystone to square up the sides of the picture, but it can't quite get 100% vertical (roughly 95% though). The projector is just over six feet off the ground on a shelf. The top of the screen is eight feet off the ground. The screen is 120" and I got it on e-bay for around $200. Your screen is very important to your picture quality, and I've been very happy with it.

I highly recommend it.

AzureFields

quality posts: 0 Private Messages AzureFields

I had the same problem with mine on a shelf i mounted on the wall, i found out that flipping it upside down, shimming the front, and inverting the image allowed me to set it up with minimal keystone adjustment. It looks a little ghetto but its high enough most people don't notice.
Also if people feel thrifty you can save yourself some cash and make a screen, i got my cloth from http://www.carlofet.com/ and I've been happy with the quality.

cougar3429 wrote:I've had the HD20 for just over 3 years. I bought it new, and have had no problems with it. The picture is wonderful. The only thing that I don't like about it is that I have to prop up the rear of the projector several inches. It looks as though it should show the picture on the floor, but that's what I need to do to make it hit the screen properly. This creates a bit of a keystone issue. I max out the keystone to square up the sides of the picture, but it can't quite get 100% vertical (roughly 95% though). The projector is just over six feet off the ground on a shelf. The top of the screen is eight feet off the ground. The screen is 120" and I got it on e-bay for around $200. Your screen is very important to your picture quality, and I've been very happy with it.

I highly recommend it.

theguruguys

quality posts: 276 Private Messages theguruguys
cstumph wrote:I would not recommend buying this projector. I picked up a similar model, the GT360, less than 8 months ago and it's already having problems.

First, the GT-360 is NOT a similar projector. It is in a totally different class actually. The GT360 is a lower end portable gaming projector, the HD20 is a higher class Home Theater Projector.

Secondly, if you have your receipt of purchase from an Authorized re-seller, like woot, the warranty WILL NOT start on the serial number. They will honor it from the date of sale.

Third, I highly recommend a secondary Squaretrade extended warranty with these. Additionally, your credit card company may already cover your purchase with an extended warranty (many people do not know this, be sure to check).

All that being said, Optoma has personally covered a projector for me, a low end gaming/kids one (PT-100) that had stuck mirrors when it was slightly outside of the 90 day warranty free of charge. I found them very easy to work with and they gave me a one time exception on the repair when I explained the situation to them. Otherwise, I have owned four Otpoma Home Theater Projectors in the past 13 years, currently own an HD33 and previously owned and HD20 and loved it. Never had a problem with their Home Theater projectors.

goblue919

quality posts: 1 Private Messages goblue919

I purchased the HD20 on Woot almost exactly 2 years ago to the day. I have over 920 hours on the original lamp, and I use it daily for digital cable, Xbox 360, and as a display for my Laptop.

With a ceiling mount and 100" manual roll down screen (cost me $100 on the net) it creates a very quality, large format viewing experience for the money.

The brightness leaves something to be desired in a room with significant ambient light, but is very vivid in dark rooms. The image has great color and decent contrast; it handles all types of high resolution sources very nicely.

I have also used this projector outdoors to project concert streams and recordings onto a garage door. It is portable enough to transport carefully and even set up outdoors.

The only real complaint I have is with the HD20's remote control key lighting, which is annoyingly bright in a dark room.

goblue919

quality posts: 1 Private Messages goblue919

I also recommend using Optima's Distance Calculator to get the geometry right on your projector installation.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Optoma-HD20-projection-calculator-pro.htm

maxwelljones

quality posts: 1 Private Messages maxwelljones

I got one of these a while back and love it. I use it for my X-box, PS3, HD cable, and HuluPlus in my basement. One thing I didn't realize when I bought the projector is that the projection area size is only adjustable with distance, so don't go out and buy a screen before your projector shows up like I did. I purchased a 92" screen and ended up with a 125" projection area, so I decided to just project onto the wall, paint a screen with flat finish paint, and I'm much happier with that result than the screen I purchased anyway (went cheap on the screen). I haven't finished a felted frame for my "screen" yet, but it's in the works. Love the projector.

andyn1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages andyn1
theguruguys wrote:First, the GT-360 is NOT a similar projector. It is in a totally different class actually. The GT360 is a lower end portable gaming projector, the HD20 is a higher class Home Theater Projector.

Secondly, if you have your receipt of purchase from an Authorized re-seller, like woot, the warranty WILL NOT start on the serial number. They will honor it from the date of sale.

Third, I highly recommend a secondary Squaretrade extended warranty with these. Additionally, your credit card company may already cover your purchase with an extended warranty (many people do not know this, be sure to check).

All that being said, Optoma has personally covered a projector for me, a low end gaming/kids one (PT-100) that had stuck mirrors when it was slightly outside of the 90 day warranty free of charge. I found them very easy to work with and they gave me a one time exception on the repair when I explained the situation to them. Otherwise, I have owned four Otpoma Home Theater Projectors in the past 13 years, currently own an HD33 and previously owned and HD20 and loved it. Never had a problem with their Home Theater projectors.

Agree on the above.
Either get extended warranty or put this on a good credit card.
Cool thing is the card covers for about 2 years beyond the mfr warranty (check your card for specifics).
I had a white pixel issue with my projector 18 months after i bought it, and the repair quote was $150 for parts and $150 for labour.
But credit card firm (CHase Amazon Visa) covered all of it since it was bought on the card. there is lots of paperwork involved but got reimbursed for the whole thing..Very cool.