Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3119 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

One lonely, perfect review (5.0 out of 5.0) over at The O

readymade

quality posts: 19 Private Messages readymade

It says its powered by sonic emotion so you know its going to play its heart out and bring a tear to your eye.

I got something better than luck.

cheeser1

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cheeser1

Bought one in the offering about a month ago. It is not great. Bass is horrible, and the bass +/- does virtually nothing to help eliminate the warble awful sound of an overdriven, underpowered bass. And I'm not blasting rap, I'm watching sitcoms and stuff.

The remotes they have area also poorly put together. Had to take mine apart and make more than one repair to get the piece of junk to work.

Has woot become the epicenter of off-brand garbage piped through Amazon warehouses? What went wrong? I haven't seen a really good deal on a product I can trust in a while (and when I take the risk, I am not rewarded!).

lichme

quality posts: 2658 Private Messages lichme

If you have a mounted tv, the sound bars pair nicely with them to give them a nice look. Way less wires to worry about than using a typical speaker setup.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 543 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

cheeser1 wrote:Has woot become the epicenter of off-brand garbage piped through Amazon warehouses? What went wrong? I haven't seen a really good deal on a product I can trust in a while (and when I take the risk, I am not rewarded!).

Independent Subsidiary. Doesn't work that way. We have our own buyers and source our own deals. Nice line that everyone likes to toss out but inaccurate.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

Geesht

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Geesht
cheeser1 wrote:
I haven't seen a really good deal on a product I can trust in a while (and when I take the risk, I am not rewarded!).

They had the Onkyo 7.1 full system for $499 about a month ago (amazing deal on amazing product), then shortly after another great Onkyo 5.1 system.

pupyluvr

quality posts: 48 Private Messages pupyluvr

I also don't care for sound bars in general mainly because of the lack of stereo separation... the physical distance between speakers. Sound bars rely too much on electronic voodoo and not enough on solid woofing. I've never had or listened to this one but I did have a Yamaha YSP-1100 for a short while before re-selling it on the 'Bay. If you just want something better than the built in speakers I guess it would be OK but I would still rather have real speakers & an amp.

Dayton Audio B652 6-1/2" 2-Way Bookshelf Speaker Pair are $39.80 and were given a positive review by Stereophile Magizine (they routinely review $100k+ stuff).

Dayton Audio DTA-100a Class-T Digital Mini Amplifier 50 WPC is $72.80 and puts out 30 WRMS @ .01 THD into an 8 Ohm load.

$72.80 + $39.80 + free shipping = $112.60 - $139.99 + $5 = a total savings of $22.39 which you can use for wall mounts or stands, speaker wire & RCA Cables.

Dayton Audio B652 are out of stock until 5/03/13 & they are 6 Ohm speakers so you may or may not need to choose a different T-Amp.

Or Better Yet you could just pick up a pair of AudioEngine A2 Self Amplified Speakers brand new for $199 in white or black.

mambo143

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mambo143
cheeser1 wrote:Bought one in the offering about a month ago. It is not great. Bass is horrible, and the bass +/- does virtually nothing to help eliminate the warble awful sound of an overdriven, underpowered bass. And I'm not blasting rap, I'm watching sitcoms and stuff.

The remotes they have area also poorly put together. Had to take mine apart and make more than one repair to get the piece of junk to work.

Has woot become the epicenter of off-brand garbage piped through Amazon warehouses? What went wrong? I haven't seen a really good deal on a product I can trust in a while (and when I take the risk, I am not rewarded!).

Well, that sold me, errr, unsold me on this product! Thanks for the review, I have been curious about these for a while, but will stick with my KLH 5.1 speaker setup I got on Woot a couple months ago...amazing sound for the same price, just have to use a 'real' amp.

polysorbate

quality posts: 7 Private Messages polysorbate
pupyluvr wrote:I also don't care for sound bars in general mainly because of the lack of stereo separation... the physical distance between speakers. Sound bars rely too much on electronic voodoo and not enough on solid woofing. I've never had or listened to this one but I did have a Yamaha YSP-1100 for a short while before re-selling it on the 'Bay. If you just want something better than the built in speakers I guess it would be OK but I would still rather have real speakers & an amp.

Dayton Audio B652 6-1/2" 2-Way Bookshelf Speaker Pair are $39.80 and were given a positive review by Stereophile Magizine (they routinely review $100k+ stuff).

Dayton Audio DTA-100a Class-T Digital Mini Amplifier 50 WPC is $72.80 and puts out 30 WRMS @ .01 THD into an 8 Ohm load.

$72.80 + $39.80 + free shipping = $112.60 - $139.99 + $5 = a total savings of $22.39 which you can use for wall mounts or stands, speaker wire & RCA Cables.

Dayton Audio B652 are out of stock until 5/03/13 & they are 6 Ohm speakers so you may or may not need to choose a different T-Amp.

Or Better Yet you could just pick up a pair of AudioEngine A2 Self Amplified Speakers brand new for $199 in white or black.

Why a Dayton when you can shell out $20 for the Leppai 2020A+ ?
(Of coarse I added a 3 amp plug to make it sound better....even at low volumes)
Mix that with pioneer SP-bs22's, ($80 @ tgr dr.)
And you got a very good system,
all for Under $100.
What do you recommend for a usb dac or usb sound card?

chaedog

quality posts: 6 Private Messages chaedog
cheeser1 wrote:Bought one in the offering about a month ago. It is not great. Bass is horrible, and the bass +/- does virtually nothing to help eliminate the warble awful sound of an overdriven, underpowered bass. And I'm not blasting rap, I'm watching sitcoms and stuff.

I also purchased this soundbar about a month ago as well. I used to have a nice Logitech THX certified sound system that eventually after 15 years of heavy use died. We were just using the TV for sound while we waited to find a good deal online. This one came along and we decided to give it a shot.

First and for most this is a speaker bar not a surround system. So yeah its not going to sound awesome. However it is much much better than just having the TV for sound. For the money its nice and The company's customer service is top notch. Mine was shipped without a remote. (I contacted woot first and they wanted me to send everything back to them)so I called Audio Source's 800 number located in the owners manual and on the first ring a human answered the phone! Not only was she a real person but English was her primary language as well! I told her what happened and 2 days later a new remote was in the mail.

I'm sure if the person above gave them a call they'd ship them a new remote without hesitation.

Anyways long story short if you're looking for a sound bar on the cheap then this one works great. Yeah its not a $400 speaker system its a $140 sound bar, it'd be hard pressed to find a similar priced bar with this quality.

Locknar

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Locknar

I got this last time around. It is amazing, the best thing since sliced bread sound wise, no. It is, however, MUCH better then the TV speakers, has has a number of input options, and a step up from the basic soundbars that are out there. Overall worth the price.

What I like most about this one is that the soundbar has button controlls. A common complaint re soundbars is lost/broken remotes and being unable to find replacements.

kerwin12345

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kerwin12345
Locknar wrote:I got this last time around. It is amazing, the best thing since sliced bread sound wise, no. It is, however, MUCH better then the TV speakers, has has a number of input options, and a step up from the basic soundbars that are out there. Overall worth the price.

What I like most about this one is that the soundbar has button controlls. A common complaint re soundbars is lost/broken remotes and being unable to find replacements.

Can this work in a car

JesterXXV

quality posts: 1 Private Messages JesterXXV

So the description says "Includes RCA output for adding external powered subwoofers", but I don't see where that RCA output is in the pictures. Can someone verify that it has those outputs?

I can definitely see myself add a woofer, especially if the bass is as disappointing as cheeser1 says, but want to double-check that that's an option.

EDIT: The tech specs on AudioSource's website don't say anything about outputs. What gives?

sausageballs

quality posts: 2 Private Messages sausageballs

No digital coax input.

brainmclain

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brainmclain

I was seriously considering it but then found two things that bothered me a bit. 1) other websites are saying it is 80W not 100W; 2) the S3D60, which is 160W, is on sale for the same price on Amazon right now... 8 left. 4/5 stars on 50 reviews.

clearbluedigital

quality posts: 0 Private Messages clearbluedigital
brainmclain wrote:I was seriously considering it but then found two things that bothered me a bit. 1) other websites are saying it is 80W not 100W; 2) the S3D60, which is 160W, is on sale for the same price on Amazon right now... 8 left. 4/5 stars on 50 reviews.

Thanks for the tip! I buy a lot of stuff from Woot but that S3D60 on Amazon was enough to sway me. Don't worry Woot - you'll get more of my money soon enough

Ringo4422

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Ringo4422

Any company describing a 3 1/2" speaker as a subwoofer stand clear from. That term is truly an oxymoron. No speaker under 4" can ever stand more than 10 watts RMS without breaking up into total distortion.
The power rating of this speaker is severly overrated. The reality is it likely provides no more than 20 watts TOTAL RMS.

Vizio 32” 720p LCD HDTV (2 of them), Seagate 750GB SATA/300 7200RPM Hard Drive, SiliconDust HDHomeRun Dual Digital HDTV Tuner, Kodak Theater HD Player, Acer Aspire One 10.1” Netbook, Philips Prestigo 8-Device Universal Remote, Asus Eee PC 900 Netbook with 1.6GHz Atom Processor, Philips Upconverting DVD Player with DivX and HDMI, Ashley Rock Axe Full Size Rockband and Guitar Hero Controller for PS2 and PS3, Philips Icon 5 Device Universal Remote, and a bunch of other carp.

cheeser1

ThunderThighs wrote:Independent Subsidiary. Doesn't work that way. We have our own buyers and source our own deals. Nice line that everyone likes to toss out but inaccurate.

I'm just calling it like I see it here on the front-end. Too much off-brand stuff that's not worth the risk makes me wonder what happened to my 70% off name-brand hard drive deals. That's the woot I remember from 10 years ago.

To be fair, I've become a grumpy jerk in those ten years. This randomly generated icon nailed it, so I assume you folks at woot are aware of my evolution into grumpy old jerk.

As for the product, I'm sure I could get the remote replaced but 10 minutes of tinkering is better than waiting a few days for a replacement, and QC is just as important as CS. And I know it's not a surround sound system, but if it can't handle bass, it shouldn't try to put it out and make boofy stupid bass sounds that ruin the sitcom / normal TV experience and make action / scifi sound absurd. And worse, when powered off, it forgets I have the bass set to -7 and resets to 0.

cheeser1

kerwin12345 wrote:Can this work in a car

You have a TV in your car?