Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3360 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

OK reviews (3.2 out of 5.0) over at Amazon

Un0fficial

quality posts: 17 Private Messages Un0fficial

As a professional storm chaser, I highly recommend every family have at LEAST one of these in your home.

Intrepid Wooter
58 total woots including (Not all listed)
12/1/2010, 4/1/2011, 7/12/2011, 9/14/2011, 12/6/2011, 12/25/2011, 3/22/2012, 4/24/2012, 5/22/2012, 6/26/2012, 7/12/2012(5x), 8/21/2013, 12/3/2013, 1/15/2014, 4/22/2014, 6/2/2014 Bags of Crap

lichme

quality posts: 2772 Private Messages lichme

mdwyerfoo

quality posts: 22 Private Messages mdwyerfoo

These are a great idea and every household should have one. The SAME coding, in theory, means that it won't alert you unnecessarily if the storm is not actually local to you.

The problem is that it will tell you about significant storms even when they aren't significant to you.

Once it wakes you up at 3 in the morning with a shrill alarm to tell you that it is SNOWING... IN JANUARY... IN COLORADO... Well, after that, you might begin to think it isn't such a great idea after all.

What I'm trying to say is that I think you should own one of these, but I'm willing to lay odds that you've scavenged the batteries out of it within 12 months in an attempt to get it to shut. The hell. Up.

noahboah

quality posts: 1 Private Messages noahboah

There is an ac adapter available (for those like me who like to have a backup for every cord imagineable) here

stnickk

quality posts: 1 Private Messages stnickk

Ok radio at an ok price. So much better to buy a crank radio to recharge. At least remember to buy extra batteries for this. We often go 3 days without power and as long as 5. Batteries or a dynamo radio (crank)type for me.

webgenie

quality posts: 3 Private Messages webgenie
stnickk wrote:Ok radio at an ok price. So much better to buy a crank radio to recharge. At least remember to buy extra batteries for this. We often go 3 days without power and as long as 5. Batteries or a dynamo radio (crank)type for me.

That's what I keep trying to catch a deal on but I always "miss it by that much" as Maxwell Smart would say!

whatsamattaU

quality posts: 1069 Private Messages whatsamattaU

GreatJorge

quality posts: 34 Private Messages GreatJorge
mdwyerfoo wrote:These are a great idea and every household should have one. The SAME coding, in theory, means that it won't alert you unnecessarily if the storm is not actually local to you.

The problem is that it will tell you about significant storms even when they aren't significant to you.

Once it wakes you up at 3 in the morning with a shrill alarm to tell you that it is SNOWING... IN JANUARY... IN COLORADO... Well, after that, you might begin to think it isn't such a great idea after all.

What I'm trying to say is that I think you should own one of these, but I'm willing to lay odds that you've scavenged the batteries out of it within 12 months in an attempt to get it to shut. The hell. Up.

been there done that.
Everyonce in a while I buy one of these with the best intentions of being prepared but eventually deep six them... they end up wherever socks go.. somewhere ELSE

jmbunkin

quality posts: 28 Private Messages jmbunkin

I wonder why there are so many refurbs on this radio?

AZScott

quality posts: 2 Private Messages AZScott
GreatJorge wrote:been there done that.
Everyonce in a while I buy one of these with the best intentions of being prepared but eventually deep six them... they end up wherever socks go.. somewhere ELSE

Let me put it like this...

I had a problem with my Eton FR-600 and had to call Eton for Tech assistance. He asked what setting I had it on and I advised that I had the S.A.M.E. "Alert" feature on. The Eton tech rep almost got angry with me as he said "unless you want to be woke up for High Wind Advisory or anything like that, you should not use the S.A.M.E. Alert feature".

(I have been using S.A.M.E. on other products with great reliability - UNIDEN HP1)

(Longer story shortened... somewhat...)

My Factory refurbed Eton radio had a "Factory Refurbished" sticker on the box but the Eton tech rep said the refurbishment of my FR-600 was determined as being defective upon further testing.

He said that since I bought it at Woot that I should call WOOT on the telephone and let them decide how they would like to handle the return and replacement process.

BTW... I CHALLENGE YOU TO CALL WOOT ON THE TELEPHONE.

WELL... YOU CAN'T.

I CHALLENGE YOU TO FIND THEIR PHONE NUMBER.

I COULDN'T FIND IT ANYWHERE

So rather than choosing to do the email version of the hokey pokey with WOOT, I chose the LIVE HUMAN version of the hokey pokey with a REAL HUMAN at Eton.

( A somewhat shortened story made somewhat shorter...
Kinda...
)

Eton said they would snail mail a UPS shipping label to me. I did not understand why he just didn't email it to me but perhaps he thought I was too stupid to use a printer because I chose the S.A.M.E. feature on the FR-600. Six days later the UPS label arrived in the snail mail.

I was disappointed that my "Factory Refurbished" Eton radio arrived in basically DOA condition. I was concerned that my 47inch VIZIO TV that arrived a week earlier had large chunks of the product flying freely around the box (the cast aluminum base and accessory bag) were banging around and competing as to which one was going to beat the back of the TV more and to the point it was scratched all over. This refurbished TV did NOT come with a protective sheet on the screen. Both of these refurbished items were purchased from the WOOT website.

I have previously purchased many new Eton products and other refurbished VIZIO TVs from WOOT however I have decided I will buy no more refurbished goods from WOOT.

Being employed in the Technical and Customer Service field I thought about how cool it would be to NOT have to talk to an irritated customer if I worked at WOOT.

Needless to say I didn't cheer and say "Woot!" with my fist pumping in the air after pondering this. I clearly understand that my employer would start loosing it's customer base if they chose to deal with it's customers via email only.

BTW, I still buy from Woot. I have already spent over $730 this year. I have spent close to that with AMAZON and it's other companies since 1/1/13 as well.

(NOW FOR THE REAL SHORT VERSION...

NO MORE "REFURBALICIOUS WOOTS" FOR ME
)

krazykoz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages krazykoz
jmbunkin wrote:I wonder why there are so many refurbs on this radio?

Kind of what I was thinking. Would be horrible for one to stop working then a large storm came in or you lost power.

Any reason why there are so many refurbished units? Anyone buy one that had problems with it?

virtual1one

quality posts: 6 Private Messages virtual1one
noahboah wrote:There is an ac adapter available

Yeah, a $10 adapter for a $20 radio.

But I suppose that depends on where you intend to use it. I have two in my house. I've got an alert radio upstairs that goes off when there's a tornado or severe tstorm warning, and it came with its own wall wart or it can run off a couple AA. But the other one is in the basement, with a bigger antenna and two sets of (C) batteries sitting beside it (never store electronics with batteries loaded) and can tune to local radio stations as well as noaa.

Good things to have when you live in tornado alley.

lroller

quality posts: 14 Private Messages lroller

I learned long ago sometimes refurbs aren't refurbs. When is a refurb a furb??? Good question...perhaps when a refurb is DOA. Otherwise, there is no real way to tell. Sure some come stamped "Reconditioned" or something similar, but it often doesn't mean anything.
When a company is trying to unload their inventory of a product they are discontinuing, they often sell it off in volume as being "refurbs". This way they can continue to sell their product(s) already in their traditional sales channels at full retail without "PO" (marketing term) their retail customers. Otherwise, they'd need to slash retail prices or recall product. Sometimes we win; other times we lose.

eclectus

quality posts: 2 Private Messages eclectus
Un0fficial wrote:As a professional storm chaser, I highly recommend every family have at LEAST one of these in your home.

And I highly recommend that you find one that DOESN'T benefit the American Red Cross which has been exposed as a welfare-for-the-wealthy scheme. Even after exposure and censure by the government, they STILL haven't disbursed all the money collected for the Alaska oil spill, Katrina, the gulf oil spill or ANY of the disasters since hurricane Hugo.
They have billions in 'reserved' funds that assure the top management obscene retirement funds. After the Tsunami, even Japan requested that any donations be made ONLY to the JAPANESE Red Cross. This can all be verified online, but you will have to drill down to news reports prior to Katrina. Reputation dot whatever does a wonderful job of hiding bad people.

bowlingb

quality posts: 17 Private Messages bowlingb

Personally I would recommend the MIDLAND WR300 Weather Radio. I've had one for several years and the S.A.M.E. programming lets me limit alerts to the types of alerts I care about in the areas around me.

ctrlaltdefeat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ctrlaltdefeat

According to Amazon, the model listed here is discontinued. This is the newer (more expensive, though higher rated) model:
http://www.amazon.com/American-Turbine-Weather-Smartphone-Charger/dp/B007KFLVTM/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

xibbumbero

quality posts: 5 Private Messages xibbumbero
eclectus wrote:And I highly recommend that you find one that DOESN'T benefit the American Red Cross which has been exposed as a welfare-for-the-wealthy scheme. Even after exposure and censure by the government, they STILL haven't disbursed all the money collected for the Alaska oil spill, Katrina, the gulf oil spill or ANY of the disasters since hurricane Hugo.
They have billions in 'reserved' funds that assure the top management obscene retirement funds. After the Tsunami, even Japan requested that any donations be made ONLY to the JAPANESE Red Cross. This can all be verified online, but you will have to drill down to news reports prior to Katrina. Reputation dot whatever does a wonderful job of hiding bad people.

Ditto. They lost me at "Refurbished and Red Cross"

Un0fficial

quality posts: 17 Private Messages Un0fficial

When I said I recommend it, I meant a Weather radio, not just this specific one.

Intrepid Wooter
58 total woots including (Not all listed)
12/1/2010, 4/1/2011, 7/12/2011, 9/14/2011, 12/6/2011, 12/25/2011, 3/22/2012, 4/24/2012, 5/22/2012, 6/26/2012, 7/12/2012(5x), 8/21/2013, 12/3/2013, 1/15/2014, 4/22/2014, 6/2/2014 Bags of Crap

mybestuser1

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mybestuser1

Odds are since it is refurbished there is no additional money going to the red cross. I do have a question? Can you adjust the different allerts you receive on this radio like you can on the FR600.

Nothing is free but if you are lucky it can be inexpensive.

t0ddt0dd

quality posts: 1 Private Messages t0ddt0dd
mdwyerfoo wrote:These are a great idea and every household should have one. The SAME coding, in theory, means that it won't alert you unnecessarily if the storm is not actually local to you.

Couple of points I wanted to make.

1) The solution to being 'overwarned' (and yes, it is very annoying) is to purchase a S.A.M.E radio (SAME = Specific Area Message Encoding) with the "Disable Alert" feature. Think of it as a way to 'customize' when the alert siren sounds, and more importantly, when it doesn't. After digging through the pdf manual for the FR800 http://www.etoncorp.com/sites/default/files/FR800_NA_manual_v051911.pdf it would seem today's W00T! radio does allow you to silence alerts you do not wish to hear (page 10 in the manual.) It's a feature you're going to want because of the situation mdwyerfoo described above.

2) EVERY HOME NEEDS a WeatherRadio, just like every home needs smoke detectors. In both cases, owning one could quite literally save your life. But get one in your home before you need it. If you're still on the fence about this, ask someone who has lived through a tornado, especially one that struck at night. They will set you straight in a hurry.

3) The advice AZScott got from the Elton tech was bad. S.A.M.E. technology screens the NOAA broadcast for alerts specific to your local county, instead of the entire NOAA broadcast area. Enabling the features S.A.M.E. provides means you hear FEWER alerts, not more.

4) I own and highly recommend the Midland WR300 bowlingbob mentioned above. It's about $50 but it is well worth it - I have it set to only sound the alarm tone for tornado warnings in my county. I still see alerts for other weather show up on the display (eg. watches, severe t-storm warnings) but the alert tone does not sound. And I very much like it that way.

jweb1510

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jweb1510
bowlingb wrote:Personally I would recommend the MIDLAND WR300 Weather Radio. I've had one for several years and the S.A.M.E. programming lets me limit alerts to the types of alerts I care about in the areas around me.

OK, you (and other posters) talked me into it. I purchased a WR300 on Amazon for $45 shipped (with Prime). Sorry woot, you lost out on this one!

halnwheels

quality posts: 9 Private Messages halnwheels

Waaay way back in the day, we used to refurbish VW engines. We disassembled them, took at the crankshaft and reground them with new bearings. New cylinders and pistons.... you get the picture. Every wearing part was either replaced, or reconditioned.

On this kind of stuff, it's more like repackaging of stuff that seems like it still works. Maybe it was returned because a customer didn't like it, or maybe the outer box was damaged. But let's face it, this stuff is made in China and it didn't go back and no radio technician (are there any?) looked at it either.

lroller wrote:I learned long ago sometimes refurbs aren't refurbs. When is a refurb a furb??? Good question...perhaps when a refurb is DOA. Otherwise, there is no real way to tell. Sure some come stamped "Reconditioned" or something similar, but it often doesn't mean anything.
When a company is trying to unload their inventory of a product they are discontinuing, they often sell it off in volume as being "refurbs". This way they can continue to sell their product(s) already in their traditional sales channels at full retail without "PO" (marketing term) their retail customers. Otherwise, they'd need to slash retail prices or recall product. Sometimes we win; other times we lose.

rdaignault

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rdaignault

Of course, 2 days ago the price was 18 (when I bought) while today it's 20.

Cheers

Ray D

No matter where you go,
There you are