Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3812 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Nearly 700 reviews (3.9 out of 5.0) on the tablet over at Amazon

thespiansmc

quality posts: 24 Private Messages thespiansmc

this is the tablet I am using right now. I bought it new last summer for about $500 for both parts.

I really adore it. Except for the fact it is 1am, I am in bed, and instead of sleeping I am surfing woot!.

It is robust, and I have had no problems with it. I boosted it with a 32GB card that I thought I would need because my phone needed a lot of extra memory, but I have not used it yet. I probably should. It might be lonely.

thespiansmc

spyder: you have misread the prices elsewhere; this is for the tablet and the kb. the price on Amazon is $349 for the tablet *only*.

#snarkfail

rbandrews

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rbandrews

I bought one of these from Woot a month or so ago, and I can't say enough good about it. The battery lasts forever, it's fast, light, the keyboard works well, the screen looks great and Android is a joy to use.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 605 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

thespiansmc wrote:spyder: you have misread the prices elsewhere; this is for the tablet and the kb. the price on Amazon is $349 for the tablet *only*.

#snarkfail

The snark with no links for proof was deleted.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

dissonantescapist

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dissonantescapist

Count me as another happy owner. Got it the last time it was wooted, and it roots and unlocks very easily.
GPS is not terribly quick, and the charger runs at a different voltage and current than most usb chargers, but accessories are easy to find.

It's nice to have what amounts to a small, private laptop to take to work with me as a backup, and it is equally suited to games, what office software is available for android, drawing, and watching movies, in addition to the usual web browsing, email, and music functions.

denniskern

quality posts: 1 Private Messages denniskern

Is this the one with a troublesome headphone jack?

mrsjhaye

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mrsjhaye

I got this on a previous woot! offer and am more than pleased with it. The docking keyboard makes it more like a netbook than a tablet, and one is able to use a microSD card in BOTH the tablet and the keyboard for additional storage capacity. For those who may be on the fence because it is a refurb: mine came in excellent condition, looked brand new, works perfectly (so far)and has the option to extend the 90 day warranty through Square Trade (which I recommend for any refurb item over $100). You will not regret getting this tablet.

JackShadow

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JackShadow

We got these new from Amazon as a gift last year and absolutely love them. Re: the headphone jack mentioned ours have worked fine. We just added the keyboard recently and love that too. It adds a fair amount of weight but the extra battery, SDHC slot and USB port are worth it. I was pleased the keyboard dock fit over the DecalGal skin I use without damaging it.

twetterneck

quality posts: 0 Private Messages twetterneck

I'd like this but you can't play pogo on it as you can't use java. Am I right?

thespiansmc

denniskern wrote:Is this the one with a troublesome headphone jack?

I have never had any problems with mine, though that is anecdotal, not general. I took a quick look online, but while I am finding the occasional 'is this normal' question, for the most part what I am seeing are people saying 'no, it isn't, you should check with Asus'.

I have had no issues with the headphone jack, though. I use it with my Skullcandy Lowrider headphones, a Cambridge Soundworks PCWorks that I bought 14 years ago and has outlasted *everything*, and a small set of Logitech LS11 2.0 speakers for traveling. Sound is good in all of them.

You can sort of get an idea from those pieces that I am a midrange sound sort of person; I've bought good things but not spent hundreds on them; I can't tell you what you'd get with a $5 set of headphones or a $200 set of speakers, but in the midrange stuff where my sound systems lie, sound is very good and clear.

thespiansmc

twetterneck wrote:I'd like this but you can't play pogo on it as you can't use java. Am I right?

No, it is Flash that was removed from Android last summer (and frankly, now that YouTube fixed its little bubble on that, I've never missed it).

I can't say anything about Pogo for certain, as I dunno what it is, but *all* android apps are written in a Java-based SDK.

If *this* is that you're asking about: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ea.game.pogogames

Then yes, you can play these games on this tablet (when I look at it it tells my that it is compatible with my Asus).

thespiansmc

ThunderThighs wrote:The snark with no links for proof was deleted.

Darn. I was sort of hoping he had removed it himself, after being corrected.

Seriously, this is a great deal, and while I really wouldn't give up the last 9 months, especially since part of those 9 months was a week in Kentucky on the Bourbon Trail, where this was invaluable, my bargain hunting soul looks at this and goes "Aigh! if only I could have waited!" :-)

Instead, I will offer you this!

large: http://sleepingcat.com/images/cats/catclose.jpg

That is a picture of small, my cat, taken with the back camera of the TF300. From about 6" (from her face; that paw was about an inch away from the lens). I offer it not as an excuse to post a picture of my cat, but of course so you can see how incredibly well it focuses on Very Close Items. Seriously, in the large version you can count the individual cat hairs.

smccarth

quality posts: 1 Private Messages smccarth

I love mine too, I've had it since January and I'm using it now. I use it mainly for websurfing and watching movies. You can install flash, but not as an app in google play, do a web search and it will tell you how. I had some issues with the cursor on the keyboard going crazy but I found that disabling the touchpad did the trick. I'll also warn you that the serial number that Asus puts on the device is only a sticker that probably fades to the point of being illegible within a couple of days and they won't help you with any issues with the device without that sticker, so make sure you save the box with the number on it.

ddm72

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ddm72

I am on the fence. I plan to get one of these, but by the time you add a square trade warranty ($100), you can get a new dock and tablet for just a little more with patience (though it may be a 16g model).

My experience with refurbished is mixed.

I'll monitor this thread, and will pull the trigger (or not) by the end of the day.

cage017

quality posts: 7 Private Messages cage017
ddm72 wrote:I am on the fence. I plan to get one of these, but by the time you add a square trade warranty ($100), you can get a new dock and tablet for just a little more with patience (though it may be a 16g model).

My experience with refurbished is mixed.

I'll monitor this thread, and will pull the trigger (or not) by the end of the day.

I feel the exact same way. The word "refurb" scares the hell out of me. I would like to use this as a travel device/netbook replacement/laptop backup.

How does this compare to the Samsung Galaxy Tab? I heard the Samsung has an "IR blaster" that allows you to control your TV/home entertainment system? Can this Asus do that? Is there some kind of app to do that?

lboban

quality posts: 12 Private Messages lboban
cage017 wrote:I feel the exact same way. The word "refurb" scares the hell out of me. I would like to use this as a travel device/netbook replacement/laptop backup.

How does this compare to the Samsung Galaxy Tab? I heard the Samsung has an "IR blaster" that allows you to control your TV/home entertainment system? Can this Asus do that? Is there some kind of app to do that?

I bought this as a refurb from Woot last year and have never had a problem. That being said, I did buy the Squaretrade insurance since I tend to be hard on electronics.

Of course, YMMV, as some have reported issues. But I've not had any...not with the keyboard, not with the headphones, and not with the screen.

New models will be out soon, which is why Woot has a bunch of these. But it's a perfectly functional device for most tasks.

bluemaple

quality posts: 77 Private Messages bluemaple

To those folks who might be suspicious of the ASUS brand of tabs, I believe ASUS makes the smaller, well respected Nexus 7 tab for Google.

ASUS is a solid brand with PC parts behind a lot of other solid brands, not only their own stuff.

A 10 inch tablet - regardless of which operating system (Android or Apple iOS) is a life changer in the technology department - your laptops and desktops will get a much deserved rest and much less use.

And the keyboard - which you won't likely use a lot of the time (because touch works so well) takes away the excuse 'I hate typing on a touch screen'... when you need to compose something longer than a quick email.

mdoodeman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mdoodeman

I just got off the phone with Asus support. This is after I RMA'd this same model tablet, the tracking number shows it arriving at the RMA center 2/1, they claim it arrived many days after that, and I just now got it back yesterday. Still broken. I would love for this tablet to work. When it does work, its great. Just be aware of Asus support, its terrible.

They now want me to send the tablet back to them yet again. If woot won't take it back (got it from them mid-January), the credit card charge is going to get reversed. I hate to put this back on woot when its clearly Asus's problem, but I didn't pay a lot of money to have something that's constantly in the mail.

wayneqsr

quality posts: 3 Private Messages wayneqsr

I found this good video review showing both positives and negatives.
http://bit.ly/YJBSzp

rootatlocalhost

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rootatlocalhost
cage017 wrote:How does this compare to the Samsung Galaxy Tab?

Dunno about Galaxy but their Note series come with (Wacom?) stylus you could use to actually draw stuff. Not that android can do true handwriting recognition: input methods I played with are more like palmos graffiti.

My tf101 does not have an IR transmitter.

sdbcmr

quality posts: 16 Private Messages sdbcmr

Anyone had extensive Skype experience with this thing?

Also - anyone upgraded to Jellybean? There's extensive talk about that here, for the 300T: http://forums.androidcentral.com/asus-transformer-pad-infinity-300/207766-performance-problems-asus-transformer-pad-tf300t.html

A little bit daunting.

rartar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rartar

Is this manufacturer refurbed? a little wary, especially since I've seen same bundle with keyboard new for $350 here and there...

sdbcmr

quality posts: 16 Private Messages sdbcmr

Sold out.
Not to worry, though: at Amazon, a NEW one, with the KEYBOARD, full one-year warranty (would be $55 for extended warranty on the WOOT deal) and Amazon's 30 day return proviso, is only $439 including free shipping, two days, generally.

So ... with $5 shipping and a $55 extended warranty @ Woot, it's just about $400 ... and a refurb.

Just sayin'.

Woot and Amazon being one company creates such a strange universe.

teemunknee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages teemunknee
twetterneck wrote:I'd like this but you can't play pogo on it as you can't use java. Am I right?

There is a Pogo app in the Google Playstore. I had it on my old Thunderbolt for a little while. It's very limited, but I was using it over a year ago. I'm assuming it's been updated a bit since then.

Flash may have been taken out of any Android OS that's beyond 4.0, but there are certain ROMs that come with it built in, or allow you to install it. For instance, I'm running JBSourcery on my Galaxy Nexus and it allows me to install Flash, however I've never gotten it to work properly...

Anyways, I would search XDA Forums for a possible solution.

-Travis

Remember, if you're too open-minded, your brains could fall out.

teemunknee.org

psymonkey

quality posts: 4 Private Messages psymonkey
sdbcmr wrote:Sold out.
Not to worry, though: at Amazon, a NEW one, with the KEYBOARD, full one-year warranty (would be $55 for extended warranty on the WOOT deal) and Amazon's 30 day return proviso, is only $439 including free shipping, two days, generally.

So ... with $5 shipping and a $55 extended warranty @ Woot, it's just about $400 ... and a refurb.

Just sayin'.

Woot and Amazon being one company creates such a strange universe.

I wish I'd been so lucky. Mine died, has no serial number on it except from within the Android OS so Asus doesn't give a rats arse even though it should still be under warranty..very disappointed. Woot seems to have disregarded my contact. I threw away the plain brown cardboard box, not knowing the only place I'd be able to find the serial number was supposedly on the box.

I've been a refurb guy for a long time, I've never had a problem. Two turds in two months from Woot and I'm out $350...

disappointed. I hope no one else has this issue.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 605 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

psymonkey wrote:I wish I'd been so lucky. Mine died, has no serial number on it except from within the Android OS so Asus doesn't give a rats arse even though it should still be under warranty..very disappointed. Woot seems to have disregarded my contact. I threw away the plain brown cardboard box, not knowing the only place I'd be able to find the serial number was supposedly on the box.

I've been a refurb guy for a long time, I've never had a problem. Two turds in two months from Woot and I'm out $350...

disappointed. I hope no one else has this issue.

CS is very good about responding in one to two business days. Have you checked your spam folders? I'll ping them from this end as well.

Update: CS says they responded to you on Wednesday. Please check your spam folder.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

psymonkey

ThunderThighs wrote:CS is very good about responding in one to two business days. Have you checked your spam folders? I'll ping them from this end as well.

Update: CS says they responded to you on Wednesday. Please check your spam folder.

Thanks for looking into it. I did indeed receive a response on Wednesday which was pretty generic and never heard anything else. I didn't really consider that to be "contact" due to the lack of follow-up, but yes, I did receive an email.

Woot Customer Service here to say thanks for the email. We'll get right on it, starting by assigning you the catchy case number

psymonkey

ThunderThighs wrote:CS is very good about responding in one to two business days. Have you checked your spam folders? I'll ping them from this end as well.

Well, super disappointed. They never got back to me aside from the case number I was assigned..I finally replied to that email asking if there was any response and was assigned another generic case number, which seems entirely automated in the first place. ASUS won't work with me without a serial, woot doesn't give a rats @$$..I'm just really disappointed in two of my formerly favorite companies.