stars67

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stars67

I'm in after the guy I hired to clear the cement pad in front of my garage failed to show and I had to shovel half of it to get out and get to work this morning. He is charging $40 to clear the pad and sidewalks. I'm actually praying I don't break even this year b/c I'm quick sick of snow!

wendiewill

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wendiewill

We bought one in the Woot sale 2 weeks ago. It arrived the day before the big storm in CO. Nice timing!! My husband has used it twice since it's arrival. He proclaims it a success and far faster than shoveling. Is it a gas powered monster? No, but is it an effective, convenient way to keep up with the snow fall and save your back? Yes. If you have a normal suburban house with sidewalk and driveway, this will save you some work and make snow clearing a little more fun. I do advise that you get a cold-rated cord. Our normal one definitely got stiff quickly and therefore difficult to handle.

iguana71

quality posts: 4 Private Messages iguana71
SalzaShark42 wrote:...It doesn't make any difference how much you "tilt" it (which is the wrong way to use one of these anyway)...

This comment alone tells me you don't have this model (and probably haven't ever used an electric blower of this type) if you don't know the difference.

SalzaShark42 wrote:- Almost everything is plastic so I don't expect this to survive for more than a few years. Plan on replacing the plastic impeller yearly, particularly if you think jamming it downwards is the way to use it...

Strike 2! In my 8th year of using the 1800 and haven't replaced ANY parts.

SalzaShark42 wrote:...The narrower unit also means a smaller handle and your hands will feel the pain after using this for a while.

No one will ever accuse you of...

SalzaShark42 wrote:- The extension cord does come loose from the plug quite frequently, even if you do tie a knot and use the hook that's on the handle...

NEVER had mine come loose in 8 years? Don't know what you're doing wrong? Maybe read the manual a little more closely or see http://artofmanliness.com/2009/06/24/7-basic-knots-every-man-should-know/
Or maybe you are using a cheap low quality extension cord?

SalzaShark42 wrote:...Someone keeps posting some ridiculous comments about maintenance of gas-powered units.

Facts are always ridiculous to naysayers lacking them in the futile attempt to try to justify the needs of a few to the many who don't need the overkill of an expensive, space consuming, harder to handle machine requiring significantly more maintenance vs. virtually none (none at all in my case :D ).

SalzaShark42 wrote:While this Toro model won't require the typical gas engine maintenance activities, it will need parts replaced more frequently than a gas powered one- or two-stage thrower.

Redundant comment and already disproved. Saying it twice just makes you wrong twice.

Lost count of the strikes but you were out a long time ago.

zatxwoopyoax

quality posts: 1 Private Messages zatxwoopyoax

Okay... I bought this a couple of weeks ago when it was on Woot and I have a couple of things I want to add.

First and foremost.

Woot! you did an amazing job of shipping this to me. This was next day air shipped to my house and was at my UPS store for pick up about 16 hours after I clicked the "I Want One" button. And all I paid was $5 for shipping! How is that even possible?!?!?!

Second... to all the people saying "Buy a gas powered one".... get real. We are buying this snow blower because it is $130!!! If we lived in northern Minnesota or the Arctic Circle, and we had the money, we would already own a gas powered snow blower. We are all aware that this device will not blow snow that is two feet deep 500 feet down the street. We are okay with that, and we don't expect it to.

This snow blower is for the people that are tired of shoveling the driveway when we get a few inches of snow. Or the people that bought a gas powered snow blower and realized they don't get enough snow to mess with it.

I bought this snow blower because the last time it snowed my lazy good-for-nothing kids laid on the couch all day while I shoveled my arse off.

So now I have a device that will get rid of the snow on my driveway or will serve as a motivation tool when I'm standing in the living room over them with the auger running at full speed.

SalsaShark42

quality posts: 9 Private Messages SalsaShark42
iguana71 wrote:Redundant comment and already disproved. Saying it twice just makes you wrong twice.

Lost count of the strikes but you were out a long time ago.

It's okay, child...the adults know how to deal with kids like you.

iguana71

quality posts: 4 Private Messages iguana71
SalsaShark42 wrote:It's okay, child...the adults know how to deal with kids like you.

Irony at its best. ROTFLMAO

No more soup for you to feed on. Facts hurt huh.

feliphilia

quality posts: 5 Private Messages feliphilia
zatxwoopyoax wrote:
Second... to all the people saying "Buy a gas powered one".... get real. We are buying this snow blower because it is $130!!! If we lived in northern Minnesota or the Arctic Circle, and we had the money, we would already own a gas powered snow blower. We are all aware that this device will not blow snow that is two feet deep 500 feet down the street. We are okay with that, and we don't expect it to.

This snow blower is for the people that are tired of shoveling the driveway when we get a few inches of snow. Or the people that bought a gas powered snow blower and realized they don't get enough snow to mess with it.

I bought this snow blower because the last time it snowed my lazy good-for-nothing kids laid on the couch all day while I shoveled my arse off.

So now I have a device that will get rid of the snow on my driveway or will serve as a motivation tool when I'm standing in the living room over them with the auger running at full speed.

Bravo, zatxwoopyoax, well said!

This is a useful machine for some people. It won't do the job for others. Now can we all shake hands and be friends?

patrice2

quality posts: 4 Private Messages patrice2

I have had this model Toro since fall of 2001; I replaced the impeller and the scraper in 2007. It is still running, though it made a whiny noise and I have some duct tape holding a stripped out screw on the back, so at this price I was thinking of getting a spare for next year.

But I have used it every winter in north-central WA mountains for 12 winters. Not too shabby, especially since I do not live in city/paved conditions (though I take care with the first snowfall of every year to hand shovel and get all gravel/rocks off the area.)

I bought a gas, 2 stage thrower in 2009 because I needed to do areas/trails away from the 100-ft extension cord by my carport/gate area. But I am chem sensitive and hate using gas when I absolutely do not have to. I still do the bulk of my parking lot area with this electric blower.

The Toro--and the gas thrower-- both become a "snow spitter" when it's above 25F--so I often put on a headlamp and do my snow removal late at night. I find that for trails the gas one is great, but for the back and forth walking for 6-8 inches of snow in a parking lot, the electric is easier to shove and pull back and forth instead of having to shift a thrower into reverse and then forward, using the speed of whatever gear it is in...it all goes so much faster with this instead of the gas one when there is under a foot of snow.

All in all, this Toro is, and will continue to be, a valued part of my holy trinity of snowcare (electric thrower, gas thrower, shovel--in that order.) With this in my arsenal, I like to say that snow can blow me.

Prngr44

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Prngr44

I bought this fully expecting it to be shelved until next year.

Mother nature surprised me with 8" of big wet sloppy stuff so it was like Christmas this morning for me as I unboxed it and got it ready.

I felt like I was cheating clearing off the driveway. No hurt back, no fighting my "steel core" shovel that bends like a wet noodle.

I'm very impressed so far with my inaugural run and look forward to using this for many years.