WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Laptop Blowout Insanity!!!

It'll blow your mind! It'll stop your heart! It'll melt your eyeballs! And as for what it'll do to your lap - you have to pay to find that out. It's an all-out nuclear flamethrower assault of howling laptop madness, and everything must EXPLODE!!!

Quality Posts

• (3:36 PM, 2/26/2013) [STAFF] Jason Toon fights for our right... to THINKPAD...

carlfredricksen

quality posts: 3 Private Messages carlfredricksen

Does anyone know if the Lenovo ThinkPad X220T would be a good tablet to use for illustrating? Normal drawings and such

yangyangli

quality posts: 1 Private Messages yangyangli
carlfredricksen wrote:Does anyone know if the Lenovo ThinkPad X220T would be a good tablet to use for illustrating? Normal drawings and such

I have an HP tablet with pen input, the Elitebook 2740p. Drawing with the pen is incredibly handy at times, unlocking creative potential more than Wacom tablets can. It is just intuitive to pick up your pen and start drawing on the screen. That being said, Wacom tablets are much more precise. They can sense pen tilt, something tablet computers can't do.

Now to answer your question, if the Thinkpad X220T is a good tablet for drawing, it isn't. The X220s have finicky sensors that go crazy when the pen is by the edge of the screen. Selecting different tools in Photoshop is difficult because the tools are placed by the edge. When drawing a long path, the sensors can cause the pen to move all over the place, messing up the complex path you were drawing. My tablet doesn't have this problem because there's a bezel around the screen.

My suggestion is to get the Microsoft Surface Pro. I've heard the pen on it is every good.

yangyangli

quality posts: 1 Private Messages yangyangli

So the 15" Thinkpad that is being sold has a lower resolution screen than the 14"!? And it COSTS MORE!

Does Woot take us for Miltons?

Always follow the rule for screen size and resolution: go with the smallest screen with the highest resolution.

stinhoutx

quality posts: 11 Private Messages stinhoutx
carlfredricksen wrote:Does anyone know if the Lenovo ThinkPad X220T would be a good tablet to use for illustrating? Normal drawings and such

I am not an illustrator, but the Wacom stylus works well on my x61t.

I know someone who uses the x220t for doing SketchNotes live at conferences using the Wacom stylus and SketchBook Pro (@sachac).

basketcase456

quality posts: 1 Private Messages basketcase456

I bought a similar X220T when Woot had it 2 months ago. Mine did not come with the webcam, but the rest of the specs are the same. However, I bought a really nice clip on HD cam that looks great and sounds better than the built in mic. I will say this is one fast laptop. I loaded Windows 8 Pro on it and it flies. It cold boots to login in about 10 seconds. I still plan to at least upgrade the memory to 8 GB.

The things I like:
-Fast
-Small
-Light
-Bright Screen
-Full size keys on keyboard
-Touchscreen is great with Win 8
-Lots of ports

The things I do not like:
-It is still about 4 lb for an ultrabook size laptop
-Display Port rather than HDMI
-Touchpad tends be non-responsive at times
-Touchscreen edges did not work well with pen.
-Touchscreen edges
-Battery life is short because of i7

Overall, I am happy with it because of the performance and will probably use it a couple years. However, if things like battery life and camera quality are important, then I'd look for something else.

nate79dawg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nate79dawg
yangyangli wrote:So the 15" Thinkpad that is being sold has a lower resolution screen than the 14"!? And it COSTS MORE!

Does Woot take us for Miltons?

Always follow the rule for screen size and resolution: go with the smallest screen with the highest resolution.

Personally, I would take the more expensive one. I don't like 1440x900 resolution. It's weird. Also, bigger harddrive, LED backlit monitor, HD 3000 as opposed to just HD graphics, HDMI port, new vs refurb, just to name a few of my preferences.

pabstblueforyou7

quality posts: 3 Private Messages pabstblueforyou7

I'm looking for a business school laptop, and the T410 seems on its face to have what I need to quickly run multiple big excel sheets, presentations, etc at the same time. Is there some downfall to this bad boy (besides being ugly and a little heavy) that I'm not seeing?

nkull

quality posts: 2 Private Messages nkull
pabstblueforyou7 wrote:I'm looking for a business school laptop, and the T410 seems on its face to have what I need to quickly run multiple big excel sheets, presentations, etc at the same time. Is there some downfall to this bad boy (besides being ugly and a little heavy) that I'm not seeing?

T Series laptops are the system I sell 90% of the time for work, this one is 2 generations old, however I still use a T series from this generation every day myself (T510 on my desk and a X220 I take on the road). These things are built like tanks.

That being said, the latest models can be had for ~ 2x the price, however that would be new, include 3 years of warrantee w/ accidental damage protection if done correctly and with the right timing.

Really a tough choice, and I'm probably not helping much. Bottom line, it's a great system, will do excel spreadsheets all day long, won't run hot, is a beauty in my opinion, still has the best keyboard that they ever made (changed on the _30 generation). I don't think you will regret this one.

Jason Toon

quality posts: 19 Private Messages Jason Toon
pabstblueforyou7 wrote:I'm looking for a business school laptop, and the T410 seems on its face to have what I need to quickly run multiple big excel sheets, presentations, etc at the same time. Is there some downfall to this bad boy (besides being ugly and a little heavy) that I'm not seeing?

Totally unbiased semi-insider opinion: T-Series Thinkpads are the standard-issue Amazon staff PC laptop, and they stand up very well both to constant lugging around to meetings and on the road, and to the typical Amazon employee's eight-things-at-once workload.

bobbay

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bobbay

HP Pavilion G7-2233CL Laptop, 17.3

Pro's & Con's what do you guys think? I browse youtube, message boards and read research. some times watch a program but basic utility. Curious what people think since I am not a computer aficionado :-{"

ronfronberg

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ronfronberg

Windows 8 update has expired. So no low cost update to 8.

ponyup14

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ponyup14

im looking at this laptop.
HP Pavilion DV7-7115NR Laptop, 17.3" HD+ BrightView LED, AMD A8-4500M Quad-Core 1.9GHz, 8GB DDR3, 750GB SATA, Blu-ray, Beats Audio, TripleBass Reflex Subwoofer, HDMI, 3 USB 3.0, 802.11n, W7HP

$520.00 dose any one know if i would have a port for the old diel up telephone cord? as i use both the old and new bepending where im working. thanks David

michael2255

quality posts: 5 Private Messages michael2255

There is no dialup port.

ponyup14 wrote:im looking at this laptop.
HP Pavilion DV7-7115NR Laptop, 17.3" HD+ BrightView LED, AMD A8-4500M Quad-Core 1.9GHz, 8GB DDR3, 750GB SATA, Blu-ray, Beats Audio, TripleBass Reflex Subwoofer, HDMI, 3 USB 3.0, 802.11n, W7HP

$520.00 dose any one know if i would have a port for the old diel up telephone cord? as i use both the old and new bepending where im working. thanks David

ckaminsk

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ckaminsk
michael2255 wrote:There is no dialup port.

Lenovo T410 has RJ11 modem jack beside RJ45 Ethernet port in rear.

ckaminsk

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ckaminsk

With 8GB DDR3 memory and a SATAIII 6Gbps SSD, a Lenovo T410 is quite a screamer!

miko1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages miko1

I'm going to wait for the EXTREME Laptop Blowout Insanity. Probably gonna be sometime next week I hear. It's gonna be OTH!

luanortega

quality posts: 0 Private Messages luanortega

HP Refurbished 17.3" Pavilion dv7-7115nr Laptop PC

Same price at Walmart seems to have a better processsor than the one listed on woot

AMD Quad-Core A8-4500M accelerated processor
2.80GHz, 4MB L2 Cache

http://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-Refurbished-Midnight-Black-17.3-Pavilion-dv7-7115nr-Laptop-PC-with-AMD-Quad-Core-A8-4500M-Accelerated-Processor-Blu-ray-Player-and-Windows-7-Ho/22733646#rr

ashli143

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ashli143

Any idea when my 17in hp with bluray will ship? It's a gift for my mom who spilled wine on her last laptop... Don't judge my moms woot!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 617 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

ashli143 wrote:Any idea when my 17in hp with bluray will ship? It's a gift for my mom who spilled wine on her last laptop... Don't judge my moms woot!

While often faster, we ask that you allow up to 5 business days for processing and shipping out. Thanks!

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

sloth163

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sloth163

Does anyone know if the HP dv7-7115nr is factory refurbished or 3rd party refurbished?

chunkiness

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chunkiness

Did anyone else get a Windows 7 Pro machine with a Windows 7 Home product key?

ThunderThighs

Staff

chunkiness wrote:Did anyone else get a Windows 7 Pro machine with a Windows 7 Home product key?

The Windows product key is on a sticker on the bottom of the computer. Sometimes, it's under the battery.

FORUM MODERATOR
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

chunkiness

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chunkiness
ThunderThighs wrote:The Windows product key is on a sticker on the bottom of the computer. Sometimes, it's under the battery.

Sorry, no, the product key under the computer is for Windows 7 Home. I had to contact the manufacturer to get the correct key. It took several days and several different trys to get the correct key.

ThunderThighs

Staff

chunkiness wrote:Sorry, no, the product key under the computer is for Windows 7 Home. I had to contact the manufacturer to get the correct key. It took several days and several different trys to get the correct key.

I misunderstood the problem. Thanks for letting us know. We'll look into that.

FORUM MODERATOR