WootBot


quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Smith's Electric Knife Sharpener

Speed to First Woot:
1m 41.770s
First Sucker:
majistaria
Last Wooter to Woot:
mattbeaub
Last Purchase:
a year ago
Order Pace (rank):
Top 3% of Sellout Woots
Top 20% of all Woots
Woots Sold (rank):
Top 2% of Sellout Woots
Top 2% of all Woots

Purchaser Experience

  • 16% first woot
  • 7% second woot
  • 28% < 10 woots
  • 21% < 25 woots
  • 28% ≥ 25 woots

Purchaser Seniority

  • 13% joined today
  • 0% one week old
  • 1% one month old
  • 13% one year old
  • 72% > one year old

Quantity Breakdown

  • 92% bought 1
  • 5% bought 2
  • 3% bought 3

Percentage of Sales Per Hour

5%
4%
2%
2%
2%
3%
4%
5%
7%
10%
8%
8%
6%
5%
4%
4%
3%
3%
4%
3%
3%
3%
3%
0%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting



Quality Posts


acanarelli


quality posts: 218 Private Messages acanarelli

Okay, I never owned a knife sharpener so this is as good a time as ever to try one. I just placed my order. In the past I've used a 1 inch belt sander with very good results, but this is a lot of work. Let you all know what I think after I've used it.

ewarz


quality posts: 1 Private Messages ewarz

This has been on woot many times for $40 plus $5 shipping. At $20 it's a steal! I can't pass this up.

crates


quality posts: 3 Private Messages crates

A similar model on Amazon (not the same exact one since this is a Woot exclusive, but by the same manufacturer nonetheless) has received mostly positive reviews.

Given the steep price cut, and how much of a pain in the butt it is to sharpen knives the old fashioned way, I'm willing to give this deal a spin!

Owner of Athames.com Metaphysical Wholesalers.
(That's not advertising; it's simply a fact.)

sabe


quality posts: 0 Private Messages sabe

If you can only get this from Woot and it's marked down from $99 then one could safely assume Woot sold it at that price at some point.
If Woot never sold this for $99 is it false advertising?

RockaiE


quality posts: 1 Private Messages RockaiE

Unfortunately, I bought this when it was at the $40 price point.

Fortunately, it was a great buy even then. It works very well. I'm not an expert on knife sharpeners, but it does make my knives very sharp, very quickly.

doomtothee


quality posts: 48 Private Messages doomtothee

For all my fellow Cutco owners out there, you cannot use these to sharpen the "patented Double D" serration. You can send them to the company to sharpen for free though since they all come with a lifetime warranty.

Woot won't let me have a cool signature

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 554 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

sabe wrote:If you can only get this from Woot and it's marked down from $99 then one could safely assume Woot sold it at that price at some point.
If Woot never sold this for $99 is it false advertising?



Why do people like to throw around terms like that?

List price is set by the manufacturer. This was manufactured. They set the list price.



Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

khaain


quality posts: 0 Private Messages khaain

Get a stone instead of this. Sharpening knives is easy and you can get a better edge with a stone. Get your self a honing steel too. My girlfriend is a line cook and keeps all my knives super sharp. It's better for the knife because it doesn't heat the metal up and if your electric sharpener breaks you have to throw one more electronic thing in a landfill.

sinnyc


quality posts: 3 Private Messages sinnyc

Oh, what the hell. I've read good and bad reviews, watched the price fall, and for $25 shipped, I'm in.

starmanbackwards


quality posts: 6 Private Messages starmanbackwards

For 19.99 plus 5 for shipping plus sales tax? Im in for one ...worth a try ... a lot cheaper than my making a trip to emergency

boredzo


quality posts: 0 Private Messages boredzo

Smith's 50245 model looks like it's this product, just with a different exterior—so, presumably, it's the appearance that's “exclusive” to this item. The Woot Features list names the 50392 as the “Ceramic Edge Pro”, which name is also used on the 50245 page, so that's another point in favor of 50245 being the right model.

From that page, you can get the PDF of the instruction manual, which tells you what each of the three slots does.

Here it is on Amazon. Unfortunately, only has one review and that one gives three stars, so not much to go on there.

bigfatnerd


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bigfatnerd

Just got a WorkSharp WSKTS belt sharpener for my birthday, but can't pass on the $20 price tag on this, even if it ends up being a gift.

beowulf828


quality posts: 11 Private Messages beowulf828

I'm a chef and could really use a good knife sharpener. I'll bite and if I remember, I'll post reviews. I have about 10 chef knives in my restaurant and will use it on all of them!

lwang


quality posts: 32 Private Messages lwang

can this sharpener sharpen ceramic blades?

this one seem to sharpen to a 35 deg, while the Smith one does it at 45 deg. Was this originally designed for non-kitchen blades?

TheTexasTwister


quality posts: 11 Private Messages TheTexasTwister
khaain wrote:Get a stone instead of this. Sharpening knives is easy and you can get a better edge with a stone. Get your self a honing steel too. My girlfriend is a line cook and keeps all my knives super sharp. It's better for the knife because it doesn't heat the metal up and if your electric sharpener breaks you have to throw one more electronic thing in a landfill.



According to Alton Brown on an episode of GOOD EATS, using a home sharpener like this isn't a good idea.

Typically, a "dull" knife still has a sharp edge, it is just pointed in the wrong direction. A sharpening steel or honing steel will nudge the cutting edge back into alignment.

If a blade truly is dull, having them professionally sharpened is best. Sharpening at home leaves the blade with uneven edges that will actually dull and damage the blade with time much faster than normal.

A professional sharpener doesn't just grind down the edge. A second treatment removes the jagged edges and leaves the blade both sharp and even to extend the life of the edge as long as possible.

KarenMarie


quality posts: 22 Private Messages KarenMarie
lwang wrote:can this sharpener sharpen ceramic blades?



From the description specs:


For Blade Types:
Alloy
Carbon
Stainless Steel

lordvos


quality posts: 1 Private Messages lordvos
lwang wrote:can this sharpener sharpen ceramic blades?



From the description, "Not recommended for use with ceramic knives."

andreaserben


quality posts: 21 Private Messages andreaserben
ThunderThighs wrote:Why do people like to throw around terms like that?

List price is set by the manufacturer. This was manufactured. They set the list price.


list price for an exclusive item does not even make sense. it would assume that it is available for any distributor who wants to carry it.

hondac95


quality posts: 3 Private Messages hondac95
doomtothee wrote:For all my fellow Cutco owners out there, you cannot use these to sharpen the "patented Double D" serration. You can send them to the company to sharpen for free though since they all come with a lifetime warranty.



For the price paid for Cutco knives I would never use a sharpener like this on them, even if it is for the straight blades. Way too expensive to replace them. My intention is to use this on the "cheap brands" like the ones sold at Wally's World!!!!!

heinricp


quality posts: 5 Private Messages heinricp
lwang wrote:can this sharpener sharpen ceramic blades?



No . . . there's likely nothing at for the home kitchen that can easily sharpen ceramic blades. They're too hard and too brittle. . . and if you do manage to successfully sharpen it, any scratches in the surface may increase the propensity of the blade to crack or shatter if it receives an impact.

lwang wrote:
this one seem to sharpen to a 35 deg, while the Smith one does it at 45 deg. Was this originally designed for non-kitchen blades?



35 degrees implies a 17.5 degree edge on each side of the knife (this sharpener claims to sharpen both sides at the same time. Divide the given angle by two because the angle is on both sides of the knife (assuming a double bevel edge).) That sounds almost like a Japanese blade edge to me. Classic western knives typically have a 20-22 degree angle on each bevel.

What does this mean? It implies that this grinder may change the angle (shape) of the edge on some knives. Is this a problem? It depends . . . nice western kitchen knives have a softer steel that is meant to have a wider edge than Japanese knives. The softer steel doesn't hold an edge for as long a time, but it's also less likely to chip and can typically handle more abuse than many Japanese kitchen knives. By regrinding a western knife to a finer edge, one is "re-engineering" the manufacturer's "optimum" design of bevel angle and steel selection.

At the end of the day, how much does this matter? It depends on your knives and cooking style. I wouldn't buy this sharpener for Wustof Grand Prix knives (presumably you've made a large investment in knives; I would invest in an appropriate sharpener). However, if I had a collection of inexpensive knives and no sharpener, I'd jump on this.

heinricp


quality posts: 5 Private Messages heinricp
andreaserben wrote:list price for an exclusive item does not even make sense. it would assume that it is available for any distributor who wants to carry it.



I'm not sure that makes sense . . . list price is a suggested price set by the manufacturer. It has nothing to do with exclusivity. And in the USA, a manufacturer typically cannot dictate a retailer's actual price charged to the consumer. . . thus list price is a suggested price that may or may not have significant bearing on the retail price.

Can you elaborate on how a list price implies more open distribution of product to wholesalers/retailers? I fail to see the connection.

gusvonpooch


quality posts: 24 Private Messages gusvonpooch

I bought a cheap set of knives from Woot a year or two ago and those bad boys would not cut through a marshmallow if you heated the knife first.Think I will get one of these and see if I can salvage my cheapo knives.

smoberg


quality posts: 4 Private Messages smoberg

I would never drag my beautiful beloved knives through a sharpening machine like this. They do a mediocre job at best and take off too much material while doing it.
Pick up a stone or a Spyderco Sharp Maker. Both are easy to learn and use, don't wear out the blades and leave a razor edge.
Hone before each use with a quality steel and you're set for life.

These do nothing but destroy blades.

smithsconsumerproducts


quality posts: 4 Private Messages smithsconsumerproducts
lwang wrote:can this sharpener sharpen ceramic blades?

this one seem to sharpen to a 35 deg, while the Smith one does it at 45 deg. Was this originally designed for non-kitchen blades?



This sharpener is not designed to sharpen ceramic knives. Ceramic in the name of the product refers to the material used to make the primary sharpening wheels. The ceramic wheels provide a great finished edge without removing too much metal (your knives will last longer!).

This version of the sharpener is designed for thinner edges, like kitchen knives. The other sharpener referenced is designed for pocket/sporting knives. Hope this helps! This is a great sharpener at an amazing price.

smithsconsumerproducts


quality posts: 4 Private Messages smithsconsumerproducts
TheTexasTwister wrote:According to Alton Brown on an episode of GOOD EATS, using a home sharpener like this isn't a good idea.

Typically, a "dull" knife still has a sharp edge, it is just pointed in the wrong direction. A sharpening steel or honing steel will nudge the cutting edge back into alignment.

If a blade truly is dull, having them professionally sharpened is best. Sharpening at home leaves the blade with uneven edges that will actually dull and damage the blade with time much faster than normal.

A professional sharpener doesn't just grind down the edge. A second treatment removes the jagged edges and leaves the blade both sharp and even to extend the life of the edge as long as possible.



We have been in the sharpening industry for over 127 years (Smith's started in 1886). I assure you that this is a great sharpener and when used properly will provide a great edge. The ceramic interlocking wheels on this machine allows users to sharpen both sides of the knife at the same time. The resulting edge is properly aligned and razor sharp.

The price of this sharpener (I honestly cannot believe they are selling it this low) is an amazing value.

smithsconsumerproducts


quality posts: 4 Private Messages smithsconsumerproducts
andreaserben wrote:list price for an exclusive item does not even make sense. it would assume that it is available for any distributor who wants to carry it.



The list price is set by us, the manufacturer. The list price is correct and matches other similar models. I can tell you that the electrical and sharpening features on this model are the same as the other units you see on the market.

smithsconsumerproducts


quality posts: 4 Private Messages smithsconsumerproducts
heinricp wrote:35 degrees implies a 17.5 degree edge on each side of the knife (this sharpener claims to sharpen both sides at the same time. Divide the given angle by two because the angle is on both sides of the knife (assuming a double bevel edge).) That sounds almost like a Japanese blade edge to me. Classic western knives typically have a 20-22 degree angle on each bevel.

What does this mean? It implies that this grinder may change the angle (shape) of the edge on some knives. Is this a problem? It depends . . . nice western kitchen knives have a softer steel that is meant to have a wider edge than Japanese knives. The softer steel doesn't hold an edge for as long a time, but it's also less likely to chip and can typically handle more abuse than many Japanese kitchen knives. By regrinding a western knife to a finer edge, one is "re-engineering" the manufacturer's "optimum" design of bevel angle and steel selection.

At the end of the day, how much does this matter? It depends on your knives and cooking style. I wouldn't buy this sharpener for Wustof Grand Prix knives (presumably you've made a large investment in knives; I would invest in an appropriate sharpener). However, if I had a collection of inexpensive knives and no sharpener, I'd jump on this.



The standard angles you describe we're accurate 5-10 years ago but many knife companies like Wusthof have began reducing the angles on their knives. Take a look at their PTec knives currently being offered. They are manufactured at 14 degrees per side. We picked a good general angle that would fall in between the angles chosen by most knife manufacturers. This general finish angle provides the best mix of initial sharpness and edge retention. Hope this helps!

smithsconsumerproducts


quality posts: 4 Private Messages smithsconsumerproducts
smoberg wrote:I would never drag my beautiful beloved knives through a sharpening machine like this. They do a mediocre job at best and take off too much material while doing it.
Pick up a stone or a Spyderco Sharp Maker. Both are easy to learn and use, don't wear out the blades and leave a razor edge.
Hone before each use with a quality steel and you're set for life.

These do nothing but destroy blades.



This knife sharpener uses ceramic interlocking wheels. They will most definitely NOT destroy blades. You can use this machine to easily maintain the edges on your knives. We have been in the sharpening industry for 127 years. If we were destroying knives, we wouldn't be a 127 year old business.

Broovis


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Broovis

will destroy your knives...you have been warned my fellow jedis.

whatsamattaU


quality posts: 1069 Private Messages whatsamattaU

If you'll answer for me, I have the 50005 model. I'm trying to figure out how much different this model is. Thanks.

true559


quality posts: 23 Private Messages true559

I have one of these and it works as advertised. It will get your knives very sharp with little effort. Pretty good bang for the buck.

gusvonpooch


quality posts: 24 Private Messages gusvonpooch
smithsconsumerproducts wrote:This knife sharpener uses ceramic interlocking wheels. They will most definitely NOT destroy blades. You can use this machine to easily maintain the edges on your knives. We have been in the sharpening industry for 127 years. If we were destroying knives, we wouldn't be a 127 year old business.



I like your attitude,you've got spunk ;-)
BTW,I bought one and I'm sure I will be happy with it.

smithsconsumerproducts


quality posts: 4 Private Messages smithsconsumerproducts
whatsamattaU wrote:If you'll answer for me, I have the 50005 model. I'm trying to figure out how much different this model is. Thanks.



The 50005 is uses a much smaller, 12 volt motor (it requires the use of a transformer, I.e. really big box on the end of the plug). The 50005 also sharpens knives using an older technology that requires users to sharpen one side of the knife at a time. The 50005 is an entry level sharpener, this one is definitely not.

This sharpener uses a 120 volt motor that is much more powerful. This sharpener sharpens both sides of the knife at the same time (faster and much easier). Finally, this sharpener uses fine ceramic wheels which are much better for use on high end knives.

smithsconsumerproducts


quality posts: 4 Private Messages smithsconsumerproducts
gusvonpooch wrote:I like your attitude,you've got spunk ;-)



Thanks!! Feels like I'm in a boxing match with fighters in every corner... But I'm game!

garyoa1


quality posts: 11 Private Messages garyoa1

Hmmm... bought the last one that doesn't do serrated. Does a great job. And yes, I use a whetstone for my really good knives. But for the run of the mill knives, they end up razor sharp. Now... this does serrated. Decisions... decisions.

Wudooeyeno?

whatsamattaU


quality posts: 1069 Private Messages whatsamattaU
smithsconsumerproducts wrote:The 50005 is uses a much smaller, 12 volt motor (it requires the use of a transformer, I.e. really big box on the end of the plug). The 50005 also sharpens knives using an older technology that requires users to sharpen one side of the knife at a time. The 50005 is an entry level sharpener, this one is definitely not.

This sharpener uses a 120 volt motor that is much more powerful. This sharpener sharpens both sides of the knife at the same time (faster and much easier). Finally, this sharpener uses fine ceramic wheels which are much better for use on high end knives.



Thanks, you convinced me. Besides, this one will do serrated knives. Now I have to figure out what to do with the old one (which worked, and I spent the same amount of money on).

dlockwood47


quality posts: 1 Private Messages dlockwood47

Compact, simple, gets the knife REAL sharp...there is no guide for your 'swipe' and the instruction book says the ceramic wheels will have to be removed to be cleaned, and eventually replaced when worn out(hassles I was not expecting). The wheels do get 'muddled' up with metal bits rather quickly. you only get one angle choice so if u don't like it, that's too bad.

rubysoho


quality posts: 7 Private Messages rubysoho

Seriously? I bought this on January 9, 2013 from woot! for TWICE the price. That's ridiculous. It was LAST MONTH. Come on, guys.

whatsamattaU


quality posts: 1069 Private Messages whatsamattaU
rubysoho wrote:Seriously? I bought this on January 9, 2013 from woot! for TWICE the price. That's ridiculous. It was LAST MONTH. Come on, guys.



This is the $39.99 woot I believe
http://sellout.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5306175

$49.99 November
http://home.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5236870

whatsamattaU wrote:It's $49.99 now, was $59.99 on first introduction October 22:
http://home.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5210962

The comments then are similar: if you don't have expensive knives, you're better off buying this than not sharpening at all. If you have more expensive knives, find a less "destructive" way to sharpen these. I personally fall in the first category, so I'll be curious what people who bought this think.



(of course, the company notes it can handle expensive knives, as above)

and I hope Charlie doesn't mind, but I thought this one comment stood out from last time:

charliecarroll wrote:I know it says this one was made exclusively for Woot but, truthfully if you take a current model and do something as little as change the color that could make an exclusive run. Not complaining, this kind of thing is done all the time and certainly is good marketing and advertising. The only problem is because of this, it is a little harder to find competitive price comparisons. But, I think I have fond basically the same sharpener and it is going for, $99.95. Here is a link to that add, http://www.cutleryandmore.com/smiths/ceramic-hone-electric-knife-sharpener-p124407?src=NexTag&cam=Products&kw=24407

Seems possibly the same sharpener is sold under the "Edgeware" brand name. Here is one for $99.96.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004UMC7HI/ref=asc_df_B004UMC7HI2232512?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=dealswoot-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B004UMC7HI

In any event, looking at the Woot version in comparison to the other two I found, (same specs) leads me to believe they are the same sharpener. If correct, the Woot price is very good in comparison.

With that said, while I am tempted to try one of these, I have been hand sharpening and honing my blades (slow and tedious) for years and I am more than a little on shaky about putting a high end blade in a machine. Plus with this machine you only have one angle and is a problem in itself. For example the angle on a fillet knife should be different than the angle on a butcher knife.




$59.99 in October
http://home.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5210962

with part of my comment then

whatsamattaU wrote:For what it's worth, Smith's FAQ:
http://www.smithsproducts.com/page/466/faqs

and contact page:
http://www.smithsproducts.com/customer-service/

edit: $59.99 for later reference in case sold later.

bye