WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Boys Toys

Girls always be playin' with the dolls and the makeup, ain't I right fellas? I mean it's all, girl stuff. And us guys, on the other hand, we all be like, yo! Trucks! Know what I'm saying?! C'mon! Buy some stuff!

mergcon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mergcon

Can't they be girls toys, too? I loved K'nex and trucks as a kid and I work in construction now! I am also a lady. Why so exclusive woot?

lucky2too

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lucky2too

Just TRY and keep me away. I'm a girl and I love my trucks!!!!

robinwoot4

quality posts: 0 Private Messages robinwoot4
mergcon wrote:Can't they be girls toys, too? I loved K'nex and trucks as a kid and I work in construction now! I am also a lady. Why so exclusive woot?

I came to say the exact same thing. I'm a girl and I would have been drooling over these toys as a kid!

snowkitten

quality posts: 1 Private Messages snowkitten

Bad, bad, bad woot. Just because boys may prefer these toys does not make them boy toys. Lots of girls play with these too. Especially building toys like K'nex and LEGO.

LynnMJ

quality posts: 0 Private Messages LynnMJ

Agree with the previous commenters. Surprised to see the sexism for this sale. I have a boy and girl, and they each equally loved playing with all their toys regardless of archaic of notions of which sex they were for. My daughter was always much more adept at using tools at a younger age than my son.

qandalady

quality posts: 0 Private Messages qandalady

WOOT. What the hell.

Girls can't like trucks? Or K'nex? The blatant sexism here is DESPICABLE.

Girls don't have to be all pink and frilly, yo.

brian53newell

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brian53newell

I am a man and I refuse to buy these for my son, since all the women are upset with Woot for trying to market something towards my son.

Woot, you lost yourself a 500$ sale because I am sexist and won't buy a toy that girls could play with.

Fatstrat06

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Fatstrat06

Seriously guys? You're gonna get all fired up just because they called them "boys toys?" Do you get mad when you see menswear signs in Belk, too? Throw a tantrum when you can't get a prostate exam? I'm pretty sure I wouldn't throw a hissy fit if they did a Barbie listing and called them girls toys. Can we please get over this far-too-easily-offended, self-righteous, politically correct nonsense? Yes, they're typically boys toys. Do you see a gender drop down menu at checkout that prevents you from purchasing if you have two of the same chromosome? Calm down, buy what you want, and stop making the country a little more miserable.

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

irony 1 (ˈaɪrənɪ)

— n , pl -nies

1. the humorous or mildly sarcastic use of words to imply the opposite of what they normally mean
2. an instance of this, used to draw attention to some incongruity or irrationality
3. incongruity between what is expected to be and what actually is, or a situation or result showing such incongruity
4. See dramatic irony
5. philosophy See Socratic irony

[C16: from Latin ironia, from Greek eirōneia, from eirōn dissembler, from eirein to speak]

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

canis39

quality posts: 0 Private Messages canis39

I guess the tongue-in-cheek sexism is kind of not cool, maybe. But how about $600 for a bunch of plastic? Don't get me wrong, this is awesome, but $600 is a little over the top. I could see maybe $200.

Also, for the record, this is $570 at Costco.com.

ciabelle

quality posts: 16 Private Messages ciabelle
canis39 wrote:Don't get me wrong, this is awesome, but $600 is a little over the top. I could see maybe $200.

Did you look at the specs of that set? Over 5500 pieces = a little over $0.10 per piece. The assembled project is 8'x5'x6' -- You're probably going to have to move furniture, cars, and/or appliances to fully assemble it!

It is not my lack of a Y chromosome which deters me. $600 is admittedly a fairly daunting price tag, but can't say it isn't a fair price. The deal breaker for me is that the only places we could even attempt to build this in our modest home would be either in one of our completely emptied bedrooms or in our living room if we pushed & stacked everything else to one side.

Don't forget to leave at least a 2' clearance around it for assembly and use. Moreover, it's probably going to be difficult or impossible to reposition it once you've reached a certain point in the assembly process.

chandann

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chandann

does this have a remote?

canis39

quality posts: 0 Private Messages canis39
ciabelle wrote:Did you look at the specs of that set? Over 5500 pieces = a little over $0.10 per piece. The assembled project is 8'x5'x6' -- You're probably going to have to move furniture, cars, and/or appliances to fully assemble it!

It is not my lack of a Y chromosome which deters me. $600 is admittedly a fairly daunting price tag, but can't say it isn't a fair price. The deal breaker for me is that the only places we could even attempt to build this in our modest home would be either in one of our completely emptied bedrooms or in our living room if we pushed & stacked everything else to one side.

Don't forget to leave at least a 2' clearance around it for assembly and use. Moreover, it's probably going to be difficult or impossible to reposition it once you've reached a certain point in the assembly process.

I looked at the specs. A little more than $0.10 per piece for pieces of plastic made in China seems high to me.

4joaquin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 4joaquin

I'm afraid the Big Movin' Rumbler Wheel Loader is actually cheaper at Amazon, especially if you include Prime's free shipping...

Bione

quality posts: 28 Private Messages Bione
ciabelle wrote:Did you look at the specs of that set? Over 5500 pieces = a little over $0.10 per piece. The assembled project is 8'x5'x6' -- You're probably going to have to move furniture, cars, and/or appliances to fully assemble it!

The price should continue to deter you - it has previous been offered on Woot for $500, most recently on Valentine's Day this year...

clockmn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages clockmn
canis39 wrote:I looked at the specs. A little more than $0.10 per piece for pieces of plastic made in China seems high to me.

Actually over 95% is made in USA. They employ over 600 Americans between production, marketing and delivering them. So $@&%* about the 5%. :-)

MrD3a7h

quality posts: 29 Private Messages MrD3a7h
Fatstrat06 wrote:Seriously guys? You're gonna get all fired up just because they called them "boys toys?" Do you get mad when you see menswear signs in Belk, too? Throw a tantrum when you can't get a prostate exam? I'm pretty sure I wouldn't throw a hissy fit if they did a Barbie listing and called them girls toys. Can we please get over this far-too-easily-offended, self-righteous, politically correct nonsense? Yes, they're typically boys toys. Do you see a gender drop down menu at checkout that prevents you from purchasing if you have two of the same chromosome? Calm down, buy what you want, and stop making the country a little more miserable.

I like this guy.

Me? I'm half man, half owl, and half moose. I am ManOwlMoose. Don't tell Al Gore about me.
-Battalion of Crabs x 4 (incl Adventure Crabs x 1, Happy Hour Crabs x 1)
-Probation posts x 1

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 584 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

canis39 wrote:I guess the tongue-in-cheek sexism is kind of not cool, maybe. But how about $600 for a bunch of plastic? Don't get me wrong, this is awesome, but $600 is a little over the top. I could see maybe $200.

And now it's $549 here.

Go buy one!

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

sva777

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sva777

The Son of Serpent Coaster would be one heck of a fun way to get back at a brother or sister in law when given as a gift for their kid. This would take forever to build.

spilzer

quality posts: 119 Private Messages spilzer
PemberDucky wrote:irony 1 (ˈaɪrənɪ)

— n , pl -nies

Alas! Ironic sexism is still sexism. Just because you say you don't mean it, that doesn't mean it doesn't hurt. Don't mean to be a stick in the mud, but my inner raging lesbian feminist wouldn't shut up until I responded.

kmkbywoot

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kmkbywoot

WHAT, in Heaven's name I ask, WHAT here is worth this much money? Is there a piece made out of pure gold or something? This looks neat - like Hot Wheels when I was a kid, but geeeezzzzee...

TheTexasTwister

quality posts: 12 Private Messages TheTexasTwister

Heh, heh. Finally, some true guy stuff. I can feel the testosterone flowing even as I type this.

skwilli

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skwilli

What is this about "boys toys"? As a woman engineer, I hate that these stereotypes exist! Even if they're used ironically, they're still telling young girls that building things and solving problems is supposed to be something only boys do. Do you think they know the difference? Do you think your sons know the difference when they get "boys toys"? Do you think they don't repeat everything they hear, trying to separate themselves as "special"?
Let's try to accept all of the nerds that love woot, and all of the nerds' children, and all of the future women and men engineers and construction crews who will be playing with these toys. Please, let's just call them toys..?

ProfessorOhki

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ProfessorOhki
spilzer wrote:Alas! Ironic sexism is still sexism. Just because you say you don't mean it, that doesn't mean it doesn't hurt. Don't mean to be a stick in the mud, but my inner raging lesbian feminist wouldn't shut up until I responded.

That's uh... quite the site title for a lecture on ironic sexism.

soozenw

quality posts: 7 Private Messages soozenw

I can see why the trucks and building toys are considered 'boys toys'. However, a Frisbee knockoff? Seriously?

snowkitten

quality posts: 1 Private Messages snowkitten
skwilli wrote:What is this about "boys toys"? As a woman engineer, I hate that these stereotypes exist! Even if they're used ironically, they're still telling young girls that building things and solving problems is supposed to be something only boys do. Do you think they know the difference? Do you think your sons know the difference when they get "boys toys"? Do you think they don't repeat everything they hear, trying to separate themselves as "special"?
Let's try to accept all of the nerds that love woot, and all of the nerds' children, and all of the future women and men engineers and construction crews who will be playing with these toys. Please, let's just call them toys..?

<3

chaobell

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chaobell
skwilli wrote:What is this about "boys toys"? As a woman engineer, I hate that these stereotypes exist! Even if they're used ironically, they're still telling young girls that building things and solving problems is supposed to be something only boys do. Do you think they know the difference? Do you think your sons know the difference when they get "boys toys"? Do you think they don't repeat everything they hear, trying to separate themselves as "special"?

All of this.

Repeat after me, Woot: there is no such thing as a "girl's toy" or a "boy's toy."

koshhi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages koshhi

I'm offended Woot. As a boy I don't see the point of specifying certain toys as for "boys". What if I didn't happen to like engineering and construction objects? Couldn't I prefer the colloquial too? HU?! ARE YOU SAYING I CAN'T LIKE CURTAINS AND QUAINT OBJECTS AS WELL?! *GETS UP OFF DESK*

koshhi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages koshhi

As I attended a top engineering (number 1 in the US past 11 years) I can say that boys far far outnumber the girls in almost every class (90%+), unless it was like bio-med or something. It's not indoctrination. People will always do what they want. Do you really consider yourself to be that frail?

Not everyone considers themselves to be "nerds", isn't that a bit discriminatory of Woot customers?

Why can't you just accept that you're a bit of a "tomboy" (even for associating yourself with the word "nerd"), or discard the whole notion all together? No need to be acting as a "feminist".

mergcon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mergcon
koshhi wrote:As I attended a top engineering (number 1 in the US past 11 years) I can say that boys far far outnumber the girls in almost every class (90%+), unless it was like bio-med or something. It's not indoctrination. People will always do what they want. Do you really consider yourself to be that frail?

Not everyone considers themselves to be "nerds", isn't that a bit discriminatory of Woot customers?

Why can't you just accept that you're a bit of a "tomboy" (even for associating yourself with the word "nerd"), or discard the whole notion all together? No need to be acting as a "feminist".

I think the point is that by encouraging young girls and boys to consider trucks and building toys to be "for boys," the females may be less likely to pursue those types of careers down the road. The fact that 90 percent of your classmates were males may be partially due to this type of thing being ingrained at a young age, not simply because "people do what they want."

I also went to a top tier engineering school (#1 for civil) and the number of ladies in the STEM classes is rising.

nmchapma

quality posts: 23 Private Messages nmchapma

Boys Toys has that nice rhyming ring to it. if they change the name, they'll loose a certain amount of cleverness they cling to so desperately.

nmchapma

quality posts: 23 Private Messages nmchapma
mergcon wrote:I think the point is that by encouraging young girls and boys to consider trucks and building toys to be "for boys," the females may be less likely to pursue those types of careers down the road. The fact that 90 percent of your classmates were males may be partially due to this type of thing being ingrained at a young age, not simply because "people do what they want."

I also went to a top tier engineering school (#1 for civil) and the number of ladies in the STEM classes is rising.

So buy the 'boys toys' and give them to your daughter as normal toys. I'm sure Woot! would promise not to label them as such. No need to explain the feminist rants that went along with it.

scratchspider

quality posts: 5 Private Messages scratchspider

Also this:

nmchapma wrote:So buy the 'boys toys' and give them to your daughter as normal toys. I'm sure Woot! would promise not to label them as such. No need to explain the feminist rants that went along with it.

You want one, but you're a girl/woman? Buy one.
Now why don't we all get back to arguing about the price of the Son of Serpent set?

kpatterson67

quality posts: 3 Private Messages kpatterson67

Agreed 100% as another female engineer.