zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

Moueska

quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska

... Brilliance, in flatware form.

(The silverware set is nice, too.)

lichme

quality posts: 2846 Private Messages lichme

Not sure if these are the same sets (with an additional) that were listed here. If so, there has been a $20 price drop.

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3459 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

great reviews on the Contempo pattern over at macys

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/gourmet-basics-by-mikasa-flatware-contempo-50-piece-set?ID=449807

dickrourke

quality posts: 4 Private Messages dickrourke

Love the straightforward descriptions in which it is clear that all three styles are 18/0, made in China, and dishwasher safe.

Well, a little puzzled too, what with all these reports of dishwasher damage on other types.

But yes, whadda price.

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3459 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Check out these comments from fellow wooters on the Chloe Frost pattern back when this was sold this past January.

http://home.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5319035

cosmicac

quality posts: 6 Private Messages cosmicac

Hold out for 18/10 flatware. 18/0 is not dishwasher safe. You'll be sorry......

kbian0978

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kbian0978

I bought a 20 piece satin tanner set from Mikasa a couple years ago and I've been looking to get additional pieces because the set looks nice and is sturdy. It has a soft, matte shine which I prefer over 18/10 flatware.

Even though there's no nickel in the steel none of the forks or spoons have stained or rusted after many runs through the dishwasher. Only a few of the knives have a little bit of staining but they are easily removed (and probably prevented had they not been left soaking in water for too long). Plus I read knives stain more easily because of their carbon steel content. If you follow Mikasa's maintenance tips and take good care of your 18/0 flatware it can last you a long time.

P.S. I grabbed two of the satin tanner sets.

ahunter400

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ahunter400

this site says that 18/0 is ideal for dishwashers http://www.silversuperstore.com/stainless_steel_flatware/quality_differences.html

"Chromium gives a flatware pattern its rust-resistant qualities. It is the best available in consumer stainless steel flatware patterns. The presence of Nickel gives a flatware pattern a superior shine, which is intended to mimic new silver flatware. Nickel is very expensive, and is a major contributor to the price of flatware.

So, here's what the numbers mean:
18/8 flatware - 18% Chromium, 8% Nickel
18/10 flatware - 18% Chromium, 10% Nickel
18/0 flatware - 18% Chromium, no Nickel
13/0 flatware - 13% Chromium, no Nickel

Which one is better? Well, if you want flatware with a high polish finish and superior rust resistant qualities, pick a flatware that is 18/8 or 18/10. If you are opening a restaurant, and want to keep your costs down, as well as being able to wash it several times a day in the dishwasher, pick a 13/0 or 18/0 flatware pattern with a cheap, flat handle knife."

inkydnk3

quality posts: 1 Private Messages inkydnk3

Why oh why does everything have to be made in China?

colinchout

quality posts: 4 Private Messages colinchout
ahunter400 wrote:this site says that 18/0 is ideal for dishwashers http://www.silversuperstore.com/stainless_steel_flatware/quality_differences.html

"Chromium gives a flatware pattern its rust-resistant qualities. It is the best available in consumer stainless steel flatware patterns. The presence of Nickel gives a flatware pattern a superior shine, which is intended to mimic new silver flatware. Nickel is very expensive, and is a major contributor to the price of flatware.

So, here's what the numbers mean:
18/8 flatware - 18% Chromium, 8% Nickel
18/10 flatware - 18% Chromium, 10% Nickel
18/0 flatware - 18% Chromium, no Nickel
13/0 flatware - 13% Chromium, no Nickel

Which one is better? Well, if you want flatware with a high polish finish and superior rust resistant qualities, pick a flatware that is 18/8 or 18/10. If you are opening a restaurant, and want to keep your costs down, as well as being able to wash it several times a day in the dishwasher, pick a 13/0 or 18/0 flatware pattern with a cheap, flat handle knife."

Thanks for the tip , this is interesting to know.
So,these Mikasa here are 18/0 ,safe for repeating dishwasher and not much for the look .
No wonder it's kinda cheap for the Mikasa brand.

FlamingoNut

quality posts: 12 Private Messages FlamingoNut
inkydnk3 wrote:Why oh why does everything have to be made in China?

Because that's the American way, sadly...

jeffflanagan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jeffflanagan
ahunter400 wrote:this site says that 18/0 is ideal for dishwashers http://www.silversuperstore.com/stainless_steel_flatware/quality_differences.html

Thanks for the education! I knew nothing on this topic until I read your post.

nikichem

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nikichem

I am very happy with my purchase.