0%
0%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

Mikeymadness

quality posts: 12 Private Messages Mikeymadness

So this is the one they said was in the box that was being sold on moofi for $329 just a few hours ago?

It was labelled as both the P6-2378 & P7-1447c depending on what page you looked at and which pic you believed.

[MOD: Sorry about that. We just got that fixed. That was the P6-2378 as was in the title. This is the P7-1447C.]

Thanks for that. Unfortunately, it looks like a few of us missed that deal as it sold out as we were waiting for the info to be cleared up. And FYI, the moofi page of the P6-2378 is still incorrect. It still shows the pic of the P7-1447c and show it as what's "In the box". I know it really doesn't matter so much now, as it's sold out, but I thought you still might like to correct it.

[MOD: Yeah, looks like he didn't fix it yet. Sorry for the confusion. Feel free to ping @tibbarderacs (the staff poster) or @thunderthighs if you aren't getting answers. That will send us an email. With the woot-off, we have a lot of posts to keep up with.]

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3454 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

great reviews (nearly 5 stars!) over at Costco

http://reviews.costco.com/2070/100019258/hewlett-packard-hp-pavilion-p7-1447cb-desktop-amd-quad-core-a8-5500-3-2ghz-reviews/reviews.htm

Batman4oz

quality posts: 19 Private Messages Batman4oz

But I don't want Windows 8. I still like Vista, and only tolerate 7!

Still...$400 is not a bad price just for a big box to hold that much ram and 1TB hard drive, and lots of wires and stuff!

^^X^^

Wooting for Bat Capes
JUDY-ism...the Only Religion I need!
WWJD...What Would JUDY Do?!
thebatcaveofoz.us
^^X^^

kimvy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kimvy

Are these refurbished by HP or by someone else? Asking in case there are issues after the 90 days.

Thanks!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 564 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

kimvy wrote:Are these refurbished by HP or by someone else? Asking in case there are issues after the 90 days.

Thanks!

HP carries the 90-day warranty so it's done either by HP or a 3rd party vendor they designate. That's all I know.

FORUM MODERATOR............................ON VACATION
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

kimvy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kimvy
ThunderThighs wrote:HP carries the 90-day warranty so it's done either by HP or a 3rd party vendor they designate. That's all I know.

Thanks so much Ms. Thighs.

thurin

quality posts: 5 Private Messages thurin

No riddling turtle was the deal breaker.

traquy

quality posts: 51 Private Messages traquy

Would this make a good media center PC? We would like to set one up in our entertainment center as a personal DVR and all around music/movie storage server.

armywife1996

quality posts: 1 Private Messages armywife1996
traquy wrote:Would this make a good media center PC? We would like to set one up in our entertainment center as a personal DVR and all around music/movie storage server.

Would work very well for that

jGiffin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jGiffin

What're the chances this can 'decently' run Diablo3?

gregspappy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gregspappy

just picked this up for the boss (wife). her old one is a amd athlon x2 2.70 GHz with 6GB memory. Is this a big improvement?...looked on the big computer sites for same thing and they wanted at least 100 dollars more with less memory. Did I get a deal?.....now I need a monitor.....tks....woot woot

CaviMike

quality posts: 6 Private Messages CaviMike

10Gb of RAM? That's a really strange number. How exactly was that attained? Two 4Gb sticks and a mismatched 2Gb stick? It's not like there are 5Gb or 3-1/3Gb sticks of RAM.

Personal info is personal.

jimmer2007

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jimmer2007
CaviMike wrote:10Gb of RAM? That's a really strange number. How exactly was that attained? Two 4Gb sticks and a mismatched 2Gb stick? It's not like there are 5Gb or 3-1/3Gb sticks of RAM.

Was scratching my head wondering the same thing.

a30n

quality posts: 0 Private Messages a30n

The 2GB stick (or 2x 1GB sticks) is for giving to a poor friend. Seriously, though, take the mismatched RAM out, it'll actually run faster with the 2x 4GB sticks alone.

Anaelien

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Anaelien

The only thing, other than money, keeping me from pulling the trigger on this is the 300W power supply. Of course that is a very easy upgrade. Hmmm...

zyodei

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zyodei

Hi, I mostly just browse the web and edit documents, will this run Firefox and Word?

datastream

quality posts: 0 Private Messages datastream

I still don't trust HP refurbs, there seems to be no end to the HP refurbished computers.. and I have had 3 HP motherboards take a crap over the years.

darryldahlen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages darryldahlen
zyodei wrote:Hi, I mostly just browse the web and edit documents, will this run Firefox and Word?

It'd run those without breaking a sweat.

dustinkh92

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dustinkh92

If anyone plans on using this for gaming, editing, or even watching videos on a regular basis, then I would go ahead and plan on changing out the ram. The trinity processors take much more advantage of higher frequency ram, such as 1866 and 2133. And I know that especially at this price, although it doesn't specify I believe, that the retailer probably skimped and put in 1333 frequency ram.

ybanag

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ybanag

No HDMI ?

catherinemcclarey

quality posts: 2 Private Messages catherinemcclarey

With the AMD A8 processor and the huge amount of RAM & hard drive in this machine, you might not need to upgrade anything in regard to hardware. (If you do, though, definitely upgrade the power supply as well, as an earlier commenter suggested.) Also go with the Square Trade warranty - 90 days just isn't long enough!
As to Windows 8, I've avoided it so far; however, Stardock just sent me an email this morning about their Windows 8 utility programs, which links to the following page:
http://www.stardock.com/products/?utm_source=StardockSoftware&utm_medium=emai&utm_term=02192013&utm_content=HEADERGFX&utm_campaign=Windows%2B8%2BApps%2BFebruary%2BPromo
The "Start8" program mentioned there sounds especially practical, as it restores the Start menu (which we're all used to from earlier versions of Windows) to Windows 8.

klandon61

quality posts: 13 Private Messages klandon61

Kids are pestering me again for new gaming computer. Would this do OK with an upgraded video card? My budget is limited. Thanks for any advice.

thomen00

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thomen00

traquy wrote:
Would this make a good media center PC? We would like to set one up in our entertainment center as a personal DVR and all around music/movie storage server.

armywife1996 wrote:Would work very well for that

Have to disagree with no HDMI output. Add a cheap HDMI video card and then yes, great media PC.

thegooseisblue

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thegooseisblue
Mikeymadness wrote:So this is the one they said was in the box that was being sold on moofi for $329 just a few hours ago?

It was labelled as both the P6-2378 & P7-1447c depending on what page you looked at and which pic you believed.

[MOD: Sorry about that. We just got that fixed. That was the P6-2378 as was in the title. This is the P7-1447C.]

Thanks for that. Unfortunately, it looks like a few of us missed that deal as it sold out as we were waiting for the info to be cleared up. And FYI, the moofi page of the P6-2378 is still incorrect. It still shows the pic of the P7-1447c and show it as what's "In the box". I know it really doesn't matter so much now, as it's sold out, but I thought you still might like to correct it.

[MOD: Yeah, looks like he didn't fix it yet. Sorry for the confusion. Feel free to ping @tibbarderacs (the staff poster) or @thunderthighs if you aren't getting answers. That will send us an email. With the woot-off, we have a lot of posts to keep up with.]

I don't think this deal is nearly as good as yesterday's. $70 more for a weaker CPU and a bit more RAM? I know it also has Bluetooth and wifi, but it just doesn't seem as sweet a deal. Not bad though.

dustinkh92

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dustinkh92
thomen00 wrote:traquy wrote:

Have to disagree with no HDMI output. Add a cheap HDMI video card and then yes, great media PC.

DVI to HDMI cables do exist.

jtsweeny

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jtsweeny

Is the WIN 8 installation Pro or some other random version?

hhh222

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hhh222
traquy wrote:Would this make a good media center PC? We would like to set one up in our entertainment center as a personal DVR and all around music/movie storage server.

My understanding is that windows 8 does not come with windows media center if that makes a difference.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 564 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

jtsweeny wrote:Is the WIN 8 installation Pro or some other random version?

There are only 2 versions of Windows 8: Windows 8 and Windows 8 Pro.

This is Windows 8.

FORUM MODERATOR............................ON VACATION
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

letmylightshine

quality posts: 0 Private Messages letmylightshine

Would this be a good computer for music production(recording,mixing,mastering).I have been told by everyone I know to get a typewriter but I do not have 2000 dollars for one though.Would this be a waste of money?Any thoughts would be very appreciated.Thanks!

mcahren

quality posts: 6 Private Messages mcahren
hhh222 wrote:My understanding is that windows 8 does not come with windows media center if that makes a difference.

Correct, but you can purchase the "Windows 8 Media Center Pack" for $10, and it's a pretty seamless update.

MS claims that they're not including the Media Center in the Win8 by default to save customers money.

This sort of makes sense, in the pre-Win8 world, MS paid licensing royalties (for codecs and other licensed software) for every single OS sold, whether Media Center was used or not. Those costs are trasfered to the purchaser.

Now, if you don't need it, you save money.

In theory.

exjoburger

quality posts: 0 Private Messages exjoburger

Aw man, a desktop with Windows 8 on Woot!, meh!
This is where I would expect a decent windows OS like Windows 7

furcifer10

quality posts: 0 Private Messages furcifer10

Purchased a P7-1240 (very similar), and had to upgrade the graphics card immediately. The system would just not run for me until after the upgrade. Also seems that there is concern about the power supply (has not been an issue yet for me). So by the time you add these upgrades you maybe able to find a better deal.

digitaleagle

quality posts: 2 Private Messages digitaleagle
exjoburger wrote:Aw man, a desktop with Windows 8 on Woot!, meh!
This is where I would expect a decent windows OS like Windows 7

I agree - Windows 8 is a horrible mess. I mainly have computers with Windows 7 and one with Windows 8. Microsoft changged everything that was intuitive with Windows 7. There are utilities that you can buy to make it more like Windows 7 but I still don't like it.

The AMD Trinity processors work fine for most users but the top Trinity, the A10 benchmarks only to the Intel I3 in single thread performance. I have the A6 for a media computer and it is fine so this processor would be overkill as a media server.

HP always puts cheap power supplies in their consumer towers. Even so, this system is not going to tax the power supply much. The Graphics is integrated onto the processor which is now called an "APU". The integrated graphics on this processor is much better than the Intel 4000 on the I7 but the processor itself is sub par to Intel's I5 and I7 processors.

Bimrod

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bimrod

Long time Wooter, first time poster...(yeah, I went there)
I need to get a machine to run Blue Iris for my IP Cameras and possibly use as a media center PC. I suppose this looks like a good fit if I add a HDMI card? Any thoughts from other Blue Iris users? I am just starting out with IP cameras.

hobartlane

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hobartlane

Just like people yesterday, I missed the deal, so F it, I jumped on this. I don't do any gaming or anything so this will be just fine for me. Quick question about the wifi. I have a wifi router (or is it modem), what is the advantage of a PC wifi, what can it be used for. Obviously I'm a novice when it comes to the guts of the computer.

Hobart Lane

evereddie

quality posts: 1 Private Messages evereddie

But who in their right mind would have Windows 8. It's total crap. maybe if you have a touch screen but then....touchable crap!

kaiwen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kaiwen

quick question: would this make a good gaming computer without upgrading ? by good I mean it can run most games on medium quality without any lag

mfalco

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mfalco
dustinkh92 wrote:If anyone plans on using this for gaming, editing, or even watching videos on a regular basis, then I would go ahead and plan on changing out the ram. The trinity processors take much more advantage of higher frequency ram, such as 1866 and 2133. And I know that especially at this price, although it doesn't specify I believe, that the retailer probably skimped and put in 1333 frequency ram.

Acording to HP it's 1600mhz ram, but only runs at 1333. "Speed: PC3-12800 MB/sec (runs at PC3-10600 in this system)"

carsongell

quality posts: 2 Private Messages carsongell
kaiwen wrote:quick question: would this make a good gaming computer without upgrading ? by good I mean it can run most games on medium quality without any lag

This will meet the minimum requirements for most games, but the graphics card isn't great. Check out this link for a comparison to other graphics cards - http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=Radeon+HD+7560D