WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: You leave work:
  • 63.8% - Whenever the job's done 801
  • 36.2% - At quitting time on the dot, even if I'm right in the middle of somet 455
1256 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

rgavindragonfly

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rgavindragonfly

Working overtime for free is like continuing the tests in school after they say "pencils down." Yet everyone keeps writing anyways. When did this mindset change!?

btpaschke

quality posts: 0 Private Messages btpaschke
rgavindragonfly wrote:Working overtime for free is like continuing the tests in school after they say "pencils down." Yet everyone keeps writing anyways. When did this mindset change!?

In my case, I work for myself. If the work is done at noon, I grab my kayak and find a lake or river post haste. If it's not done till midnight, it's not done till midnight.

julierizzo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages julierizzo
btpaschke wrote:In my case, I work for myself. If the work is done at noon, I grab my kayak and find a lake or river post haste. If it's not done till midnight, it's not done till midnight.

Similarly, I work from home so if I finish up a project ahead of time, I may head up to one of the wineries with a book to soak up the remains of the day. If I need to chug away til 10 or 11 at night, well, so be it.

olperfesser

quality posts: 2 Private Messages olperfesser

Work!
- Maynard G. Krebs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqzpQPDSr2s

triplebud

quality posts: 2 Private Messages triplebud

Liars. I'd fire every one of you for posting while "working". No wonder you stay until the job is done. You have to when you're filling out polls all day.

hikerjohnd

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hikerjohnd

Before my recent vaca, i was on the "when the job gets done" side of this. After taking 3 weeks off to do nothing (no cell, no email, no nothing but wilderness) i realized I need more 'me' time. Since my return, I've been a leave on time kind of guy!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 584 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

triplebud wrote:Liars. I'd fire every one of you for posting while "working". No wonder you stay until the job is done. You have to when you're filling out polls all day.

Party pooper.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

RWoodward

quality posts: 58 Private Messages RWoodward
rgavindragonfly wrote:Working overtime for free is like continuing the tests in school after they say "pencils down." Yet everyone keeps writing anyways. When did this mindset change!?

When draconian employers started putting people who keep to their scheduled hours and take an occasional vacation on the "disengaged" list.

gjbloom

quality posts: 6 Private Messages gjbloom

I work from home, so, almost never.

ladyloerya

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ladyloerya

If a company valued me and paid me a fair wage, I would work hard in return. When I am a broken down to nothing more than a number, then by the number is how I work - clock says time to go, I go. I would LOVE to work for a place that recognized how hard I work. Used to bust butt completely when I was young, hoping to be noticed, hoping to be rewarded with SOMETHING other than a company t-shirt. I'm all old now and far too cynical to think I'll find a place to value hard workers. I've had too many supervisors who can't spell their own name and take naps during the work day to think that this will change. So, I take the Office Space approach to work. At least I am happier seeing out the window rather than staring at that damned cubicle wall another day!!

madmatt2024

quality posts: 2 Private Messages madmatt2024

I leave when they tell me to. If I leave late to many times I get yelled at, something about payroll being tight.

compunaut

quality posts: 2 Private Messages compunaut

Sometimes the work requires that you stay late, but not usually.

kestrelle

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kestrelle

I leave on time. Work knows that I have kids to pick up. That's why there's VPN!

RWoodward

quality posts: 58 Private Messages RWoodward
kestrelle wrote:I leave on time. Work knows that I have kids to pick up. That's why there's VPN!

That's OK they know they can force workers without kids to pick up the slack. And of course men with families will get paid more too.