WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Last of the Koss PC Speakers

Not long ago, telling people your primary music player was a computer would make you a target of scorn, derision, and rotting fruit. Koss was one of the names who made PC audio respectable. Now that they're strictly about headphones, this might be your last chance to Kossify your desktop.
Koss official site

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz

It's 11pm, and you need to blast out the neighbor's TV. What game do you play through these?

I'm just hanging out, really.

slappywhite2001

quality posts: 4 Private Messages slappywhite2001
inkycatz wrote:It's 11pm, and you need to blast out the neighbor's TV. What game do you play through these?

Katamari. NAAAA NA NA NA NA NAA NA NA NA NAA NA NAA NA NAAAAAAAAAAA

I do enjoy a good grilled cheese sandwich.

customizedsolutions

quality posts: 0 Private Messages customizedsolutions

Soooo, the speakers at the very bottom were available in 1989-1990. I had that set. Koss must have gone into my childhood bedroom, swiped them out of the closet, spiffed them up a bit, and put them back on the market. Wild.

courtneymcg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages courtneymcg

I bought three pairs of the Koss SX/30 2-Piece Amplified Computer Speakers for our office. Just over a month later and two of them have already had the Amp go out on them.

I wouldn't recommend at ALL. Maybe I got a bad set, but I am at a third of mine failing and the final set haven't been put to use yet.

Avarik

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Avarik

So like, do they sound like anything special? Or is it just novelty because they look retro?

deadeye37

quality posts: 3 Private Messages deadeye37
Avarik wrote:So like, do they sound like anything special? Or is it just novelty because they look retro?

Judging from the price, probably not. In fact, they probably found these at one of those computer recycler shops. Probably next to the 56k modems.

I think I had a pair of those beige & gray speakers hooked up to my old 486 turbo back in the day.

Aquila76

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Aquila76

I like how the HD-6's have that vintage UV discoloration already.

My goal is to replace my soul with coffee and become immortal.

johnt007871

quality posts: 8 Private Messages johnt007871

These can use batteries so they would work for MP3's. Surprised you didn't list them as such.

tapps

quality posts: 8 Private Messages tapps

note that not ALL of these options come with the required AC power adapter. actually, the more expensive, grey ones don't have the power adapter, but the $5 black speakers do.

that's all.

mnuahs

quality posts: 13 Private Messages mnuahs
deadeye37 wrote:Judging from the price, probably not. In fact, they probably found these at one of those computer recycler shops. Probably next to the 56k modems.

I think I had a pair of those beige & gray speakers hooked up to my old 486 turbo back in the day.

Actually, I purchased a pair of the HD-30s back when I had my 486DX2. They worked nicely with my ISA sound card from Creative Labs.. Oddly enough they still work, although the volume knob is a bit worn now. I use them with my Sansa Clip as an alarm clock in the morning.

So yes, these speakers look retro for a reason. They really are that old. I'm fairly certain the HD/6 ones are even older than that.

As for how they sound, the HD-30s aren't bad, they're nothing earth shattering but the do work. I'm tempted to get another pair, but the $5 shipping on something that could actually be that old is somewhat off putting.

luke975

quality posts: 13 Private Messages luke975

I think the headline for this sale says it all. these are the very last of the koss speakers.

I always did like yardsales.

thedoc007

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thedoc007

Caveat emptor: I only purchased a Koss product once...it came with a one year warranty, and at 12 months and 18 days it totally failed. They are cheap for a reason.

shopperinsc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shopperinsc

Will they work for an MP3 player? Do they plug into a headphone jack?

jamilkb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jamilkb

Is the nifty ink pen included?? Because that would TOTALLY seal the deal for me...TOTALLY!

achoren

quality posts: 0 Private Messages achoren

All great speakers and Koss is a reputable company. But really, the bottom pair I had nearly 20 years ago! I'm not sure if calling these 'vintage' or even 'retro' can make these attractive to buy though!

jawagas

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jawagas

Oh man, this is the saddest little woot event.

luke975

quality posts: 13 Private Messages luke975

thing is i would buy these. if they were new. Don't want someone elses problems

I always did like yardsales.

bsirvio

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bsirvio

Koss' website:

What is the difference between Koss Corporation and Koss Electronics?

Koss Electronics manufactures consumer electronics products such as home theaters, DVD players, portable media players (mp3), table top stereo systems and boom boxes. Koss Electronics manufactures these products and that company is no longer in existence. We hope this will provide the distinction between our products and Koss Electronics' products, and please remember we are here to serve you and provide you with any support we can.

The script is the same, but these are not actual Koss stereophone products. Caveat.

Zorque

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Zorque

Bought a set of the HD/6 speakers (for three times the price) from a tech.woot event a few weeks ago. If you don't position the AC plugs in the speakers just right, the left speaker will belch out the most annoying static possible.

shabazz18

quality posts: 2 Private Messages shabazz18

I would seriously like to know the story behind these. I mean, the HD6 set is so old they're yellowing. I've owned both those and the SA35 with a 386 and 486 pc respectivly. I think the mention of lifetime Koss warranty is kinda funny as these things are already several lifetimes old.

Broken0007

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Broken0007

Would these be compatible with my Commodore 64?

beladog

quality posts: 3 Private Messages beladog
inkycatz wrote:It's 11pm, and you need to blast out the neighbor's TV. What game do you play through these?

Pantera!

I just updated my Bluetooth headset so I will be donating my old one to the inside of the left one of these. $5 bucks and an hour of freedom in the shop for a sweet sounding blutooth speaker set! Fantastic

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 547 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Broken0007 wrote:Would these be compatible with my Commodore 64?

The new one?

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

shabazz18

quality posts: 2 Private Messages shabazz18

Look what I just found in my garage!! A pair of still working SA/30s! Not on this sale but I can attest to the fact that 15+ year old Koss speakers do still work. Even when held together with duct tape. And they do work without batteries/power, just not very loud.

hatawa2

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hatawa2
courtneymcg wrote:I bought three pairs of the Koss SX/30 2-Piece Amplified Computer Speakers for our office. Just over a month later and two of them have already had the Amp go out on them.

I wouldn't recommend at ALL. Maybe I got a bad set, but I am at a third of mine failing and the final set haven't been put to use yet.

These are not meant for blasting music thorough the office; only generate the soft sounds of windows......

hatawa2

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hatawa2

In for three pairs of the SX50/AC's. Plan to finally utilize the surround sound feature that came with my motherboard.

zybergoat

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zybergoat

I just received my SX50s in the mail today - fastest Woot shipment EVER! - and I am very impressed. For refurbs, they look brand-spankin' new.

As for the sound, these are impressive - even at higher volumes, I'm not hearing much distortion.

For the $10 investment, this is a FAR better deal than what the same would have cost me at Walmart or Target, plus with fewer options (no front headphone/mic jacks, bass/treble boosts, or variable volume control).

I've been burned by Koss stuff before (cheap headphones that sully the brand name), but for $5 speakers, these are phenomenal. I would be fine taking these out on the patio for an outdoor party hooked up to my phone or iPod.

The only surprise - besides the more than acceptable sound quality - is the size of them. Much larger than I anticipated, which actually is a good thing; larger drivers to allow for better sound.

argon3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages argon3

Not workin'....what ya gonna do?

Addenda: Looked up the manual at the Koss website (no manual with the speakers) and it says to use a 6 volt transformer and NOT the 9 volt as is printed below the power jack on the speaker itself. Found a 6 volt transformer and NOW they work. Bit of a disconnect between the rating on the speaker and what it should be, eh, Koss...

jimdwoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jimdwoot
Broken0007 wrote:Would these be compatible with my Commodore 64?

They work great on my Apple IIe and my Heathkit H89!