WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Kitchen Klearance

It won't be that hard if we all kitchen! Get it? It sounds like "pitch in"! But it's not! It's a whole other word! The word for where you cook the food! We have stuff for the place that is that word! Kitchen stuff!

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz

A great assortment of stuff we've seen before. If you've been holding out, what can we say to convince you?

I'm just hanging out, really.

lephantman

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lephantman

yeah I bought the jar+can opener last time. the can opener opened one can, after 4 tries. the blade just doesn't cut into the can enough piece of junk. and it's huge and tall, barely fitting in the drawer.

vladistov

quality posts: 50 Private Messages vladistov
lephantman wrote:yeah I bought the jar+can opener last time. the can opener opened one can, after 4 tries. the blade just doesn't cut into the can enough piece of junk. and it's huge and tall, barely fitting in the drawer.

I've opened about fifty so far with mine, the last well as the first. It may be your particular unit is defective. I'm very pleased with my own.

Irrelevantly: Anyone else feeling a strange urge to play Mortal Kombat?

stryder65

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stryder65

I had the exact same experience. Can opener is a complete piece of CCRRAAAPPP

yayobama

quality posts: 12 Private Messages yayobama

I've been happy with all my Woot purchases except the can opener jar opener duo. They're awkward, flimsy plastic, and bulky... off to Amvets pile. The product is beneath you, Woot.

alphaketo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages alphaketo

I had the same issue with the can opener. It was GREAT! ...for about 3 weeks. I even bragged about it and the price I got it for. Then all of a sudden it just started falling apart. The mechanism became loose and I would have to put high pressure on the cog to keep the can turning,and it would take about 10 minutes using this method to get a can open. Finally I threw it out and spent 9 bucks on a can opener that worked.

The jar opener works fine, but I'm pretty strong and have not really had a chance to use it outside of testing it.

smartheart

quality posts: 94 Private Messages smartheart

1. The Regal 12" nonstick pan is described as Multi-ply. I take it this means it is NOT the same material as the 12" American Kitchen (sister brand) TRI-PLY skillet I previoiusly purchased from Woot. My previoius purchase had aluminum (covering the bottom and running up the sides) with stainless steel fully sandwiching the aluminum.

So my question is....is there aluminum, fully sandwhiched in stainless steel, within the bottom AND running up the sides? I am certainly interested if so!

2. Another point in favor of purchasing Regal ware is that I believe it is made in the U.S. That's not only better for the U.S. economy but probably means better workmanship and longevity.

"Three be the things I shall never attain: Envy, content, and sufficient champagne."
--D. Parker

bajeckabean

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bajeckabean

I bought the avacado set and the can opener set before. I have to say, as a household that eats a LOT of avacado, I've been really impressed with how quickly and easily we get them peeled, sliced, scooped, etc with the set. We don't really mash them, but since we have a new baby, the mini masher is the perfect size for smooshing up his food. Well made and easy to rinse clean.

I haven't had the can opener break like others, but I do find it to be really bulky and awkward to use. Most days, I end up grabbing my old, trusty (gross) can opener instead. Wouldn't purchase it again.

barlowrl

quality posts: 1 Private Messages barlowrl

I didn't realize so many people still opened cans. I think the last time I used a can opener or saw someone else open a can with one was a good ten years ago. I mean, yeah there are plenty of cans at the store but I figured people were buying the cans to put them in a safe room and saving their can opening for a nuclear fallout.

terriferrell

quality posts: 1 Private Messages terriferrell
barlowrl wrote:I didn't realize so many people still opened cans. I think the last time I used a can opener or saw someone else open a can with one was a good ten years ago. I mean, yeah there are plenty of cans at the store but I figured people were buying the cans to put them in a safe room and saving their can opening for a nuclear fallout.

SERIOUSLY?!?! Are you kidding?! The last time you used or even saw someone else use a can opener was 10 years ago, really?! What about things like tuna, tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste not to mention green beans, kidney beans, broths, canned milks and many other canned vegetables that are basically staples in cooking. Or maybe you don't even cook.... I mean really, I cook nearly everyday for my family & while I don't use a lot of canned goods I certainly couldn't say I hadn't opened a can of anything in "10 years"!

The funny thing here is I didn't even buy a can-opener, but I really found your "10 year" can-opener statement to be so odd that I couldn't resist commenting....

And by the way, I sure hope you have a "good" can-opener in that "safe room" for the "nuclear fallout" & based on the comments above I wouldn't buy it from Woot either.... You might starve to death before getting a can of food opened between the lack of quality can openers available & your lack of experience! Just sayin....

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 545 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

lephantman wrote:yeah I bought the jar+can opener last time. the can opener opened one can, after 4 tries. the blade just doesn't cut into the can enough piece of junk. and it's huge and tall, barely fitting in the drawer.

The openers have a one year warranty from Kuhn Rikon. Be sure to contact them. A couple other wooters have reported a good experience with the company.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
terriferrell wrote:SERIOUSLY?!?! Are you kidding?! The last time you used or even saw someone else use a can opener was 10 years ago, really?! What about things like tuna, tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste not to mention green beans, kidney beans, broths, canned milks and many other canned vegetables that are basically staples in cooking. Or maybe you don't even cook.... I mean really, I cook nearly everyday for my family & while I don't use a lot of canned goods I certainly couldn't say I hadn't opened a can of anything in "10 years"!

The funny thing here is I didn't even buy a can-opener, but I really found your "10 year" can-opener statement to be so odd that I couldn't resist commenting....

And by the way, I sure hope you have a "good" can-opener in that "safe room" for the "nuclear fallout" & based on the comments above I wouldn't buy it from Woot either.... You might starve to death before getting a can of food opened between the lack of quality can openers available & your lack of experience! Just sayin....

Since you felt the need to reply and so strongly criticize that guy for his opinion, I will do the same to you.

A lot of people COOK with fresh ingredients. The items you described, would be for mixing or rewarming ingredients, not cooking ingredients.

tuna - people still eat this out of cans?
tomatoes - fresh!
tomato sauce - see above, make your own!
tomato paste - really?
green beans - fresh, heck even frozen is better than canned!
kidney beans - no comment needed
broths - make your own or at least get the cardboard containers! the canned versions are aweful for you
canned milks - Waddams Threatens Fire is this?
"and many other canned vegetables that are basically staples in cooking" - these are staples in rewarming, not cooking.

Some of the above may be slight exaggeration to prove a point, but most still hold true. To preface, I do own a can-opener, but very rarely use it, as most things that I would use canned have a pop-top on them now!

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

wooterm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wooterm

the wok is the same price on the wmf website - and free shipping!
http://product-search.wmfamericas.com/Cromargan-Stainless-Steel-Wok-11--plu0799546040.html

barlowrl

quality posts: 1 Private Messages barlowrl
terriferrell wrote:SERIOUSLY?!?! Are you kidding?! The last time you used or even saw someone else use a can opener was 10 years ago, really?! What about things like tuna, tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste not to mention green beans, kidney beans, broths, canned milks and many other canned vegetables that are basically staples in cooking. Or maybe you don't even cook.... I mean really, I cook nearly everyday for my family & while I don't use a lot of canned goods I certainly couldn't say I hadn't opened a can of anything in "10 years"!

Canned tuna is disgusting - go buy some fresh, you'll love it. Tomatoes I only eat fresh. When I make pizza I make white pizza (which is olive oil, spinach, feta and freshly ground black pepper). I've never really liked tomato sauce on pasta so I make pesto. Just so you know they do sell tomato sauce in jars with twist-off lids. It's a pretty popular thing now. I have never used tomato paste but they sell it in tubes. I eat fresh or frozen vegetables. I am allergic to legumes and beans so those are out. I make chicken stock out of carcasses and I don't use "canned milks" because when I bake it is gluten free, dairy free and cholesterol free. Not as delicious, but it meets the needs of the people in my household.

I cook everyday for my family and I have really not used a can opener for a good ten years - at least. I am sorry you are unable to understand how someone can go so long without the use of a can opener and not starve.

And I don't have a can opener or a safe room for the matter. Although you should probably know that the can opener was invented a good forty years after the can was. I'm pretty sure I know how to work a hammer and chisel and could figure it out.

skou

quality posts: 20 Private Messages skou

OK, I'm here for my usual 4th burner complaint.

Wait, WHAT?? :D

Nothing to see here, folks.

These are STILL made out of aluminum, but the write-up SAYS that.

TT, thanks for the fix!

(Sorry, had to say SOMETHING.)

steve

tabaddon

quality posts: 9 Private Messages tabaddon

I have, and like, the 4th burner pot in blue. However, be advised that the color in the photo is wrong. It's a darker cornflower blue. If you expect it to coordinate well with more cyan/turquoise items, it won't. If the yellow had been available when I got it, I might have chosen that. But, I wonder what color it really is.

Be quicker of mind than of tongue.
Opinions are not advice, nor directives.
The world is not limited by your limited experience.
I'm not better than anyone else, and neither are you.

terriferrell

quality posts: 1 Private Messages terriferrell
barlowrl wrote:Canned tuna is disgusting - go buy some fresh, you'll love it. Tomatoes I only eat fresh. When I make pizza I make white pizza (which is olive oil, spinach, feta and freshly ground black pepper). I've never really liked tomato sauce on pasta so I make pesto. Just so you know they do sell tomato sauce in jars with twist-off lids. It's a pretty popular thing now. I have never used tomato paste but they sell it in tubes. I eat fresh or frozen vegetables. I am allergic to legumes and beans so those are out. I make chicken stock out of carcasses and I don't use "canned milks" because when I bake it is gluten free, dairy free and cholesterol free. Not as delicious, but it meets the needs of the people in my household.

I cook everyday for my family and I have really not used a can opener for a good ten years - at least. I am sorry you are unable to understand how someone can go so long without the use of a can opener and not starve.

And I don't have a can opener or a safe room for the matter. Although you should probably know that the can opener was invented a good forty years after the can was. I'm pretty sure I know how to work a hammer and chisel and could figure it out.

I love FRESH TUNA!! My son owns a hunting and fishing store that outfits sport fishing boats in Charleston, SC and I can assure you I've had REALLY FRESH TUNA (most likely fresher than anything you'll ever taste, certainly not 3 day old Tuna from a supermarket) that he caught fishing during the day 30 miles out in the Atlantic ocean and we ate it fresh off the grill that evening! It's amazing! But that's not always feasible so yes I really like the all white Albacore canned tuna! I make tuna salad sandwiches with it for our lunch when it's been a rushed day - so what? Shoot me for it! Hahaha! If you don't like it, don't eat it but what gives you the right to comment on people who used canned goods?!?! I

And yes I'm familiar with pasta sauce in the jars with the "twist-off tops"! Hahaha! That's like eating Chef Boy R D Spaghetti in the can to me..... Yummy Ragu, now that's homemade Italian red sauce for sure! Hahaha! You can make homemade pasta sauce very easily & I can give you a couple of really great recipes if you want to try your hand at it... You need CANNED PLUM ITALAN TOMATOES or FRESH is great if its summertime, Basil, Fresh Garlic, Extra Virgin Olive oil, Oregano, etc. & it's likely cheaper & certainly sooo much healthier for you since you'll have eliminated all the likely preservatives in those "twist-off lid jarred sauces" that by the way are nothing more than "canned sauce placed into a jar". Its the same basic process of putting foods in cans as in jars, the foods are blanched - dropped into hot boiling water (with tomatoes just long enough to easily remove their skins, then plunge into ice water to stop the cooking process) placed in sterile glass jars & placed in canner to get jars sealed thru the canning and water bath process but just in glass but with preservatives so they can obtain a longer shelf-life! Now THAT is funny to me! Make fun of someone for eating a canned food item & using a can-opener & then you suggest someone eat a canned food item that's quite likely worse for someone to eat because they are "processed" foods and very likely loaded with preservatives. Too funny!

As I originally stated I really don't use a can-opener all that often, but I do use one from time to time. I love good food & I cook with fresh ingredients as often as I can & mostly from my own vegetable garden when in season, then I resort to frozen items if not fresh & often items I froze from my garden or from fresh produce purchased & frozen myself. But, I do use canned foods & no I can't imagine going 10 years without using a can-opener or seeing someone else use one. I think what bothered me was how sarcastic you were & how you mocked the people that did use them with your nuclear safe room comments.... our economy is still struggling to recover from the past few years of financial crisis and there are many people still out of work and many people still struggling to feed their families, they are getting food from Food Banks that stock the very canned goods you would only use if you were forced to and then only in the event of a nuclear crisis! Many people can not afford to buy fresh foods & so they depend on canned goods to feed their families since fresh & frozen foods are in general more expensive than canned! You may be Blessed with the ability to buy fresh for your family and since many others are not, making fun of their buying canned goods is just.... Well smug, insensitive & rude!

I hope you are always able to cook & feed your family in exactly the way that you chose & that you never have to resort to eating in any other way, I honestly do but unfortunately everyone in our country can't do that & so they have to eat canned stuff just to feed their families. Have a little humility & rethink making fun of them!

kraven

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kraven

Nice, only thing I wanted was the cast iron baking dish and they only had 2. Why even bother?

ThunderThighs

Staff

kraven wrote:Nice, only thing I wanted was the cast iron baking dish and they only had 2. Why even bother?

It's Sellout. We're getting rid of remaining inventory. Sorry.

CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

ThunderThighs

Staff

Uhm, guys?

This seems like a lot of emotion and words being spent over can openers.

Can we get back to talking about the products?

mflatau

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mflatau

I had the same problem with my opener. I ended up tossing it and going back to the old fashioned opener. I would not recommend this product.

**EDIT I did just contact their customer service and they are sending me out a new one.

subether

quality posts: 3 Private Messages subether
ThunderThighs wrote:Uhm, guys?

*falls over laughing* Thanks, I needed that.

Is there any additional information regarding the induction cookware's non-stick surface?

mflatau

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mflatau
ThunderThighs wrote:The openers have a one year warranty from Kuhn Rikon. Be sure to contact them. A couple other wooters have reported a good experience with the company.

I just contacted their customer service and they are sending me a new opener. Very friendly. Hope to see a new one in my mail box soon!

essentialfloss

quality posts: 0 Private Messages essentialfloss

My opener worked well for about 10 cans and now it takes a couple goes around. Poor design.

sweetrai

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sweetrai

Does anyone have the Wok? Is it of good quality/worth $100?

mdnorman

quality posts: 50 Private Messages mdnorman

I once got into an argument with another guy about canned foods and can openers. It got kinda heated. Somebody almost got killed.

johnt007871

quality posts: 8 Private Messages johnt007871

We use the avacado things all the time. Its a super food and super yummy.

Also, I am sad the baking pans have sold out because the awesome donut picture will go away

skou

ThunderThighs wrote:Uhm, guys?

I've gotten 3 sets of can/bottle openers, and so far, the first can opener still works just fine. (Until I lost it!) Second can opener works great, too.

And, I do use them to open #10 cans. (Those are the BIG cans, every one calls "gallon" cans.)

steve

skou

North316 wrote:Since you felt the need to reply and so strongly criticize that guy for his opinion, I will do the same to you.

A lot of people COOK with fresh ingredients. The items you described, would be for mixing or rewarming ingredients, not cooking ingredients.

tuna - people still eat this out of cans?
tomatoes - fresh!
tomato sauce - see above, make your own!
tomato paste - really?
green beans - fresh, heck even frozen is better than canned!
kidney beans - no comment needed
broths - make your own or at least get the cardboard containers! the canned versions are aweful for you
canned milks - Waddams Threatens Fire is this?
"and many other canned vegetables that are basically staples in cooking" - these are staples in rewarming, not cooking.

Some of the above may be slight exaggeration to prove a point, but most still hold true. To preface, I do own a can-opener, but very rarely use it, as most things that I would use canned have a pop-top on them now!

OK, I'm a dues-paying member of America's Test Kitchen. Those guys use canned tomato paste, sauce, ans crushed tomatoes, even though fresh is available. And, that is a "snob" cooking show.

They also use, on occasion, canned beans.

Me, I use canned stuff all the time.

steve

iguana71

quality posts: 4 Private Messages iguana71
terriferrell wrote:...If you don't like it, don't eat it but what gives you the right to comment on people who used canned goods?!?!...I think what bothered me was how sarcastic you were & how you mocked the people that did use them with your nuclear safe room comments.... our economy is still struggling to recover from the past few years of financial crisis and there are many people still out of work and many people still struggling to feed their families, they are getting food from Food Banks that stock the very canned goods you would only use if you were forced to and then only in the event of a nuclear crisis! Many people can not afford to buy fresh foods & so they depend on canned goods to feed their families since fresh & frozen foods are in general more expensive than canned! You may be Blessed with the ability to buy fresh for your family and since many others are not, making fun of their buying canned goods is just.... Well smug, insensitive & rude!...Have a little humility & rethink making fun of them!

Meh. He's just another ignorant elitist blowhard. You've already proven he doesn't see their usefulness for the less fortunate and charity. He probably couldn't see their usefulness in other areas like camping, etc. (and most definitely wouldn't survive a day in the wilderness...ROTFLMAO).

ThunderThighs

Staff

iguana71 wrote:Meh. He's just another ignorant elitist blowhard. You've already proven he doesn't see their usefulness for the less fortunate and charity. He probably couldn't see their usefulness in other areas like camping, etc. (and most definitely wouldn't survive a day in the wilderness...ROTFLMAO).

easpangler

quality posts: 2 Private Messages easpangler

Can the wok be used on glass top stoves?