WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Kelty Outdoor Backpacks

A normal back is useless. What can you do with that thing? Lean it on stuff? BORING! A backpacked back is far better. It's got utility and style. Someday, we may evolve to where we grow our own backpacks. Until then, there's Kelty.
Kelty official site

Quality Posts

sgtgreeneusmc

quality posts: 5 Private Messages sgtgreeneusmc

Be sure to note that all of the men's packs are torso size S/M. Make sure they fit before you purchase.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 499 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

I know we've got Wooters with Kelty backpack experience. Let's hear from the experts.

irradiated

quality posts: 5 Private Messages irradiated

I've had a couple of Kelty packs, with my 'latest' being a Red Cloud from about 2002. It sees about 80 miles of trail each spring/summer, and shows virtually no sign of wear.

Honestly, I wish it would because I'd love an excuse to buy a new, lighter pack.

They are nearly bullet-proof, but that comes at a weight cost. The canvas on my older model is very, very sturdy. It's been treated a couple of times with water-repellant spray, and is lightly lined with another coating that is beginning to peel a little.

The zippers are pretty robust, but could be smoother - newer models seem to use a different zipper tooth, but I can't verify that.

The padding is still holding up to my 55-65 lb loads, with minimal plastic deformation. The down side is that unless the pads fit you nearly from the start, you will always hot spots (I do). Easy to manage with moleskin or blended fabric clothing.

The hip belt is fairly stiff, so distributes weight pretty well, though if you do cinch it down tight for scrambling, it can dig into you and cause soreness over time. That also increases fatigue, but fortunately you can adjust most elements on the fly to shift weight.

To be fair, I don't beat my packs up - a few scree falls, and short drops, but nothing like sliding down 50' of granite or ice.

They're solid, well-performing packs. I'm pretty easy on packs, so my only complaint is weight.

Well, and I like to buy new things once in a while, and this damn thing won't give me an excuse.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
irradiated wrote:Well, and I like to buy new things once in a while, and this damn thing won't give me an excuse.

Maybe you need a bug out bag?

For those that don't know, "a bug-out bag is a portable kit that contains the items one would require to survive for seventy-two hours when evacuating from a disaster."

I'm just hanging out, really.

dillmansgrove

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dillmansgrove

I still have my 1970's Kelty frame backpack...it's plug ugly, but dude, that thing can tote some sh*t. Kelty stuff outlasts most things...except maybe style.

If you buy one, you'll be glad ya did.

ThunderThighs wrote:I know we've got Wooters with Kelty backpack experience. Let's hear from the experts.

vanevenhoven

quality posts: 21 Private Messages vanevenhoven

if the coyote 80 is $80, the avocet 30 is $30, Lakota 65 $65 - shouldn't the redstart $23 be $23?

Woot!, I demand a recount.

frazelle

quality posts: 1 Private Messages frazelle

I bought mine on here last Sept. and it's been awesome. I've taken it outdoor rock climbing with all my gear several times and it's really pretty light. I also use it to haul all of my daughter's and my gear to the rock gym and for short walks to the grocery store - the extra pockets and way it expands & contacts to meet your needs is great!

I also love the waist strap and support it gives the back. I fell while climbing and broke a couple vertebrae, but since I've healed, this pack has given me no problems at ALL (unless I pack it heavier than I should be lifting anyway). I can not write highly enough for what a great partner this pack has been for me through all we have experienced together!

The only slight issue I've had is when I'm scrambling (up rocky hills), it's hard for me to look up because the top of the pack limits how far I can lean my head back. But that might be because I'm female & short and I bought a men's small (all that was left last time).

Overall - one of the best Woot purchases I've made. I love it!

jamesbottomtooth

quality posts: 41 Private Messages jamesbottomtooth
ThunderThighs wrote:I know we've got Wooters with Kelty backpack experience. Let's hear from the experts.

whats the chance you'll get those 100-110L again?

Lance19

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Lance19

At $80, yes, I'd probably add this to my gear. But, someone else already pointed out, the torso size choice you'd make on, say Amazon, is not avail here.
So, a tall guy like me who needs a medium
to large, re. torso...is just out of luck on this one...

irradiated

quality posts: 5 Private Messages irradiated
inkycatz wrote:Maybe you need a bug out bag?

As it turns out, it is my bugout bag It stays stocked with a few non-perishable items (TP, rain gear, knife, etc), and sits near a bugout box - one of those 15g plastic tubs.

I live in an area where evacuation due to fire comes up every year or two.

DMelton

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DMelton

Still waiting on a 45-60 liter mens pack in M/L.

TheFlatline

quality posts: 9 Private Messages TheFlatline
DMelton wrote:Still waiting on a 45-60 liter mens pack in M/L.

You're actually about 3 weeks late. Last time the Kelty packs came up they had them, but sold out pretty quickly. A couple months ago they had a lot of the packs that you want.

I'm happy with my 65 and my 90. I wish the 65 had the suspension and ease of adjustability that the 90 does.

The packs are on the heavier side, and I definitely prefer comfort over ultralight, but I can get my base 3 down under 20lbs (I have to recalculate now that I have a silnylon tent), which is pretty decent. Total packout weight usually is 30 lbs or less in my 65, and that's including luxuries like a little camp chair.

Also note these are all 2012 models. There are a few newer 2013 models out now, but these are still pretty much awesome.

My only complaint is that the sleeve for your water bladder is so frickin tight I don't see it being used unless I tweak the hell out of my pack frame.

AFewBricksShy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages AFewBricksShy

I have the 4750, which is the old version of the 80L one they have here. I'm 6'0" and it's absolutely fine for my height, there's actually a little more room for someone taller. I had it fitted at REI, so I'm assuming they know what they are talking about.

I was able to carry a LOT of stuff, which was way more than I actually needed, but it carried it all comfortably.

I'll agree that the hydration pocket is pretty lacking though.

jflorkow

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jflorkow

Anyone ever tried to use one of these as a carry-on on an airline? Which ones could I get away with?Can someone who owns the Coyote give me an idea on the size? I'd like to get as much as I can into a backpack, i.e. small suitcase for a few days trip. I have the Redstart (use it all the time, but definitely too small for this) and the Redwing 44 (just got this and haven't filled it up yet, so not sure how much I can get into it, but still seems small.)
Specifically I want the Coyote, but I think it might be a bit large for carry-on size. Could I under-fill it and get by? Thanks!!

vanevenhoven

quality posts: 21 Private Messages vanevenhoven

I've carried on both the Kelty 44 (not here today), and the (oneofhtenameshere)30. both worked fantastically. (buy 'em, they're GREAT!)

jflorkow wrote:Anyone ever tried to use one of these as a carry-on on an airline? Which ones could I get away with?Can someone who owns the Coyote give me an idea on the size? I'd like to get as much as I can into a backpack, i.e. small suitcase for a few days trip. I have the Redstart (use it all the time, but definitely too small for this) and the Redwing 44 (just got this and haven't filled it up yet, so not sure how much I can get into it, but still seems small.)
Specifically I want the Coyote, but I think it might be a bit large for carry-on size. Could I under-fill it and get by? Thanks!!

rettaboo78

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rettaboo78

would still love to see kelty backpack baby carriers here on woot! Waiting

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 499 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

vanevenhoven wrote:if the coyote 80 is $80, the avocet 30 is $30, Lakota 65 $65 - shouldn't the redstart $23 be $23?

Woot!, I demand a recount.

Nice try. LOL

zuiquan

quality posts: 21 Private Messages zuiquan
AFewBricksShy wrote:I have the 4750, which is the old version of the 80L one they have here. I'm 6'0" and it's absolutely fine for my height, there's actually a little more room for someone taller. I had it fitted at REI, so I'm assuming they know what they are talking about.

I was able to carry a LOT of stuff, which was way more than I actually needed, but it carried it all comfortably.

I'll agree that the hydration pocket is pretty lacking though.

It's not really about your height but rather your torso length. I'm 5'9" and about an inch and a half outside the medium size range. So it's a large for me or nothing at all. There are a few things worse than hauling a pack that's the wrong size filled with a good amount of weight but I can't really think of anything off the top of my head.